Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 15th January 2011, 13:47   #1
BHPian

Default 5 months and 5000 kms with the Hyundai i20 Asta.

After owning and driving this beauty for 5 months, have a lot to say! And hence, am breaking this up into 3 parts, this post being the first.

Date of purchase (delivery): 20 August 2010
Dealer: Shreenath Hyundai
Buying experience: Excellent
On road: about 6.7 lakhs
Model: i20 Asta, petrol
Colour: Berry Red
Changes made / add-ons over and above the standard kit: False leather seats for Rs 6,000; nothing apart from that

What you should know about me: hardcore biker for 12 years (LML Vespa + Royal Enfield Bullet + various others = 1 lakh kms +). This is my first car, 4.5 hrs of driving lessons, test drive before I started lessons. Hence, I can't give a proper comparision with other cars and my observations would not have a base / benchmark comparator.

Little bit of a story first:

Day 1:
Car was driven from the dealers to home by a relative. Seemed very smooth. The relative owns a Toyota Corolla and the fact he appreciated the drive quality meant something.

Day 2:
Took the car out myself (applause please!). Drove about 5 - 10 kms in an empty neighbourhood. Car stalled every time I tried to take a u-turn. My mistake, not the car's.
Took wifey along to get the seat covers installed. Drove about 5 kms in 2nd gear (largely) and 3rd gear, in sunday traffic in Mumbai. Car drove very smoothly, the gear shifts were very smooth and the steering is light as a feather. AC cools pretty fast, though since I was driving for the first time, kept the windows down. Gear ratios seem well placed, for I didn't have to shift gears too frequently in the traffic. Pleasure to drive, though I was a bit tense, taking out a new car in traffic, unsure of my driving skills.
Got seat covers installed, looks fab; the 2 tone seat covers go well with the 2 tone interiors of the car. Glad I went for these. Covered about 3 kms, going up a gentle incline; 100 mts away, a biker veers a bit towards me. Already a bunch of nerves, I slam the brakes hard - excellent braking in the car and it rams to a halt. Rickshaw driver rams into the car. Clinking noise in the car and in my heart - badly dented rear bumper and smashed right tail lamp. Not much shaken, manage to drive back home.
For the next few days, am not too comfortable taking the car out.

Day 3 and 4:
Got a driver to drive me to office. Expensive, but I convince myself that a driver is necessary, since I don't know driving.
Backseat is extremely comfortable and fairly roomy for a small hatchback. FE figures of 8.x leave me a little worried. There are also some rattles here and there - particularly from the left door, I feel. Driver tells me I am getting unnecessarily worried, these are normal. Am I worrying too much??
End of day 4: driver quits!

Day 5:
No driver. Taxi and rickshaw strike in Mumbai. Have an important meeting to attend. Decide the heck with it, will take the car.
Drive for about 50 kms in peak Mumbai traffic, some bit of rains as well. Couple of times car stalls in stop-go traffic while going up inclines. What the hell! Drive over a few potholes - am convinced have smashed the suspension. Thankfully, they are sturdier than that. By the time I head home, it is 10 PM - get some experience of night time driving as well. The car is a newbie drivers delight: steering is very responsive and light, gears shift smoothly and the clutch is light, excellent gear ratios for city driving, adjustable driver seat height is a joy. Like driving so far and want to drive more.

Day 6 and 7:
Similar story as Day 5, though some improvement. Am worried the car will stall while shifting from 1st to 2nd gear, so throttle a little more than necessary - jerky gear shifts. Also need to get better judgement of sideways clearance distance - not too comfortable changing lanes etc.,

The analysis:
Putting aside my lack of experience driving cars, I can say the i20 Asta is fun to drive.
What I like:
- looks very good;
- doors shut with a solid thud - makes you feel safe inside the box;
- seats are very comfortable;
- height adjustable driver seat;
- telescopic and tilt steering;
- EPS is very responsive, though it shoud tighten a bit more at higher speeds;
- stock stereo is excellent;
- AC cools quickly and well;
- steering mounted stereo controls;
- right hand mounted indicator lever;
- fairly large boot space;
- spacious rear seats, with a very small transmission bump;
- retractable RVM's and front folding RVM's - great for city driving with errant bikers!

What I don't like:
- horns could be more powerful;
- some untraceable rattling - mostly from plastics;
- RVM mounted side indicators - they look great, but other drivers are not used to these and don't notice sometimes;
- paint scrapes very easily: apart from the incident on Day 2, scraped the rear of a new i10, a passerby with my left RVM, a rickshaw on the left door handle (thats all I can remember)

Problems faced so far (week 1 only):
- low FE - 8.x only in the city;
- several rattles from plastics, mostly from the left front door;

Servicing experience (smashed a tail light remember?):
Excellent. Took it to Modi Hyundai; the tail light was replaced for about Rs 1,100. The dent was taken off the bumper in 2 minutes without any charge. All that remains is a small barely noticeable dent and some peeled off paint that roughly traces the rickshaw headlight and a bumper assembly that looks off by about half a centimetre.

Will post more substantial details in the 2nd post. Meanwhile, if you want to ask me anything specific, feel free, for being my first car, did a lot of analysis of various models, met several dealers and did a lot of negotiation!
ramraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2011, 15:35   #2
BANNED

Default re: 5 months and 5000 kms with the Hyundai i20 Asta.

Congrats on the buy! the i20 is one of the best when it comes to premium hatches in India,
Get the rattle checked when you get your next service done,
The FE will improve with time and will change as you get confident behind the wheel.
Driving a new car can be worrying still,Worry less!
Please upload some pics and Drive safe!

Last edited by DMehta : 15th January 2011 at 15:45.
DMehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2011, 17:37   #3
BHPian

What are the freebies that you got with the car? I am keenly waiting for your next post. I too do not know driving much but am planning to get this car. I am hoping that my first week is not as eventful as yours though
kalpeshc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2011, 18:10   #4
BHPian

Reminds of my first few days with my first drive.

Hope you have gained confidence and drive better now. In hindsight, maybe a big 'L' on the rear screen would have helped. People automatically start to keep a distance. 4.5 hrs of driving 'experience' is woefully inadequate, if that is all that you got before you 'managed' your license!

Imagine, if what rammed into you, due your sudden braking, was not a riksha but a truck or a bus?

Sorry to be preachy but waiting for the rest of the instalments..
LithiumSunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2011, 00:57   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMehta View Post
Congrats on the buy! the i20 is one of the best when it comes to premium hatches in India,
Get the rattle checked when you get your next service done,
The FE will improve with time and will change as you get confident behind the wheel.
Driving a new car can be worrying still,Worry less!
Please upload some pics and Drive safe!
Thanks DMehta! This is indeed a great machine to drive! The rattle is gone after the 2nd service. FE has increased alongwith my driving skills - this is a great machine to get used to! I think I worry a lot less now, though I do say a small prayer - for myself and for the others who happen to drive in my car's vicinity!
More in my next post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
What are the freebies that you got with the car? I am keenly waiting for your next post. I too do not know driving much but am planning to get this car. I am hoping that my first week is not as eventful as yours though
Hi Kalpeshc. I hope no one has as eventful a first week as I did! In hindsight, it helped - my confidence has soared leaps and bounds. Of course, the i20 is an excellent car to get used to. up In terms of freebies: got 13k worth of them: mud flaps, carpet mats (negotiated with dealer to upgrade from rubber mats), anti rust on chassis, sun film, lac coat, air freshner and a Rs 2500 discount. I suggest visit multiple dealers and compare and negotiate shamelessly. You can refer my earlier post on dealership experience and comparing what various dealers in Mumbai offered: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...alerships.html (Ikpoxan's experience with multiple Mumbai dealerships)
I strongly recommend that you go get this car

[quote=LithiumSunset;2210596]
Quote:
I hope you didn't have as exciting a first week as I did!

Quote:
Hope you have gained confidence and drive better now.
I guess so, have done 400+ on highways and manage a decent 60+ in the city and 80+ on highways. Ofcourse, with a machine like i20, its a breeze!

Quote:
In hindsight, maybe a big 'L' on the rear screen would have helped. People automatically start to keep a distance.
Actually, I didn't put it intentionally. Had I had a L board, any scrape and the other party will automatically blame me! Though I do think it is a good idea.

Quote:
4.5 hrs of driving 'experience' is woefully inadequate, if that is all that you got before you 'managed' your license!
Actually, I did a full 15 sessions 6 years ago, got a license, and never got into the drivers seat after that. So that was as good as not learning. Though I think I managed pretty well (shameless self appreciation!)

Quote:
Imagine, if what rammed into you, due your sudden braking, was not a riksha but a truck or a bus?

I agree! I was indeed lucky! But have been more careful ever since and hope to be too. Will put the rest of the installments - guess will just add it to this thread rather than start a new one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Hi Kalpeshc. I hope no one has as eventful a first week as I did! In hindsight, it helped - my confidence has soared leaps and bounds. Of course, the i20 is an excellent car to get used to. In terms of freebies: got 13k worth of them: mud flaps, carpet mats (negotiated with dealer to upgrade from rubber mats), anti rust on chassis, sun film, lac coat, air freshner and a Rs 2500 discount. I suggest visit multiple dealers and compare and negotiate shamelessly. You can refer my earlier post on dealership experience and comparing what various dealers in Mumbai offered: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...alerships.html (Ikpoxan's experience with multiple Mumbai dealerships)
I strongly recommend that you go get this car!

[quote=LithiumSunset;2210596]
Quote:
I hope you didn't have as exciting a first week as I did!

Quote:
Hope you have gained confidence and drive better now.
I guess so, have done 400+ on highways and manage a decent 60+ in the city and 80+ on highways. Ofcourse, with a machine like i20, its a breeze!

Quote:
In hindsight, maybe a big 'L' on the rear screen would have helped. People automatically start to keep a distance.
Actually, I didn't put it intentionally. Had I had a L board, any scrape and the other party will automatically blame me! Though I do think it is a good idea.

Quote:
4.5 hrs of driving 'experience' is woefully inadequate, if that is all that you got before you 'managed' your license!
Actually, I did a full 15 sessions 6 years ago, got a license, and never got into the drivers seat after that. So that was as good as not learning. Though I think I managed pretty well (shameless self appreciation!)

Quote:

I agree! I was indeed lucky! But have been more careful ever since and hope to be too. Will put the rest of the installments - guess will just add it to this thread rather than start a new one...

Last edited by bblost : 16th January 2011 at 08:48. Reason: back to back. Please use edit if posting within 20 mins. And removed extra smileys. Thanks.
Old 16th January 2011, 01:24   #6
BHPian

I guess some snaps are in order and here's some. Some are from a recent trip to Bhandardhara. Will click more of the car and post...
Attached Thumbnails
5 months and 5000 kms with the Hyundai i20 Asta.-img_7826.jpg  

5 months and 5000 kms with the Hyundai i20 Asta.-img_7850.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 16th January 2011, 04:14   #7
BHPian

Default Re: 5 months and 5000 kms with the Hyundai i20 Asta - Part 2 (City n highway driving)

Posting the second part in the same thread, to keep the continuity.

This is Part 2 - Driving experience

After driving for nearly 5,000 kms, guess its time to post a serious review!

So far: 4,600 kms on the ODO, with about 500 kms on the highway.

Fuel Economy
FE seems to have seriuosly improved after the first service. I now get:
- city driving: 14 kmpl (12 with a/c on)
- highway driving: 18 kmpl - with a/c off
Though in the last couple of weeks it has dropped by about 2 kmpl alongwith some loss of power - need to get that checked during 2nd service.
Verdict: excellent!

City driving experience:
Excellent car, almost tailor-made for the city.
The engine: The 1.2 L engine is very peppy though would have loved the slightly larger 1.3 L of the Getz. Going up flyovers, overtaking etc., are a breeze and rarely need to downshift for any of these manouevers.
Gears: The gear ratios are excellently calibrated for city driving: upto 20 kph in 2nd, 20 - 40 in 3rd, 40 - 50 in 4th and 50+ on 5th gears. Manage most stop-go driving in 2nd gear. The 3rd gear is great for most moderate traffic situations and can go as low as 15 kph. Very little need for frequent gear shifts. The torque on the 2nd gear is also excellent: can move the car from 0 on 2nd gear. The clutch is very light and responsive and this can take some getting used to. Friends who drove the car tended to stall on shifting to 1st gear. I normally rev a little more than necessary and haven't faced this problem. Slotting into 1st / 2nd / reverse is never a problem - have read on some earlier posts about problems in this department. Initially though, the gears used to crunch on slotting to reverse, but that seems to have disappeared now.
Steering and manoueverability: Excellent steering control - the EPS makes a light job of steering, though it would have been better if the steering would tighten at higher speeds. I have driven at nearly 100 kph without feeling much change in steering feel. The turning radius is excellent: weaving in and out of lanes in traffic is again, a breeze. The wheel grips well and gives a solid feel.
Braking: Braking is excellent and the ABS is responsive and how! But for ABS and the excellent brakes, would have had a collision on the WE Highway in Mumbai, when a foolish driver in front braked suddenly - I was at a decent clip of 60kph.
Safety features:
One of the reasons why we went for i20 Asta were the safety features: ABS, dual airbags etc., The car also gives a cosy and safely ensconed feel once inside. There are child safety locks, auto door unlock in case of a crash, collapsible steering wheel, a beeper that blares if the front passenger is not wearing the seat belt etc.,
Physical aspects of the car:
Ground clearance is excellent - never scraped the bottom on even the mightiest of road humps, with 4 people in the car - a boon for Indian roads.
Suspension is excellent and takes the typical bad roads and potholes in its stride. Have driven roughshod over some not so small potholes, but the suspension managed it. Of late though I feel the bumps on the road more - I don't know if it is a factor of me getting so acquainted with the car that I am sensing more things than before?
The thick A-pillar creates a serious blind spot, particularly during tricky turns and one has to crane the neck for better visibility - this could have been engineered better.
Car is very roomy on the inside - comfortably seats 3 adults in the rear - went for a 400 km trip with 2 - 3 adults in the rear constantly and no one complained.
Boot space is sufficient for typical city commute - accomodates serious grocery shopping as well as 3 - 4 suitcases. The foldable rear seats help increase stoarge space: accomodated 4 HUGE international suitcases, when my sister returned from Europe.
Though most of the traffic sounds are filtered out with the windows rolled up and the engine is near quiet, the road damping needs to be improved - a good bit of the sound of tyres rolling on the road floats into the cabin and it can at times be a bit jarring, particularly on bad stretches.
Comfort and luxury factors:
A/C: cooling is quick and powerful - has cooled the interiors from 34degree C Mumbai heat to a cosy 22 deg. C in less than 2 minutes, with 3 people in the car. The automatic climate control ensures that I dont have to fiddle with the A/C controls frequently - just set it at a particular temperature and you are done!
Defogger: front and rear de-foggers are a boon in the Mumbai monsoon - used them with great results.
Rear wiper: is a thoughtful addition and useful one too, for those who travel longer distances.
Stereo: The in-built stereo is excellent and the USB plug in is the trump card - no need to carry stacks of CD's any longer! The steering mounted stereo controls are again very useful - though in the early days I inadvertently switched on the radio while trying to honk! The radio receiver is good and rarely breaks during drives. The USB plug-in output is good too - the sound never cracks and pulls in the smallest of sounds. Haven't really used CD's though.
D/N mirrors: These should be useful, though haven't dared use them in the city: many 2 wheelers and almost all rickshaws keep their headlights OFF!
Retractable RVM's: a boon to city driving with so many errant bikers and door handle to door handle traffic! Another useful addition: the mirrors fold frontways if bumped by a biker! So no frequently replacing expensive RVM's with indicators on them!
Glove compartment with a cooler!: The glove has an A/C vent opening into it that can be opened to keep a bottle of water chilled for the summer months!
Others:
There are 2 trip meters - so you dont need to disrupt your fuel economy calculations while counting the distance during a trip! There is also a distance to destination time counter!
The blue backlit LCD displays (ODO, info display) give a uber cool look to the interiors. The backlit instrument panel almost makes it feel like a spaceship!

Highway / off road driving experience:
Have covered most aspects in the previous section, so give a few relevant inputs here.
The car handles very well on highways too: had no problems in overtaking at higher speeds - no downshift required. The 1.2L core is quite powerful for some spirited highway driving.
Steering and turns: the Asta is a very stable vehicle. However, it seems to lose a bit of poise if thrown around turns sharply: there is a good amount of body roll around turns and bends at higher speeds - something that can be felt even while changing lanes at high speeds. So, I automatically slow down around bends! Steering could also be a tad heavier at higher speeds.
Grip and traction: I should say the Asta has the tenacity and grip of a mountain goat. On a recent trip to Bhandhardhara, went exploring the interiors a bit. At one particularly steep climb, the car stalled (my mistake). The road was gravelly and we were unsure if I could start without rolling back - the tyres held well and I was able to move ahead smoothly, though I had to use the hand brake. About the only time I've had to use the hand brake in a stop-go situation up an incline.
At another spot, going down a steep decline, the road suddenly broke, creating a sharp wedge 6 inches deep. Was able to stop in time and get down the wedge at a slow roll, without slipping on the gravel.

Thats about all I can recall now. Will post the niggles, problems and servicing experience in part 3.

Safe driving!

Last edited by bblost : 16th January 2011 at 08:45. Reason: Font Tags! Please do not copy paste from other editors. Thanks.
Old 16th January 2011, 16:28   #8
BHPian

This is very nicely written ownership review. Helpful to the prospective buyers. Welcome to the I20 club. In particular, liked the way you described the city traffic driving experiences.

Please post some of the interiors of your car too. And any plans for additional upgrades? Please keep updating the thread with your driving experiences.
flyingkolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2011, 20:56   #9
BHPian

Congrats ramraman for the acquisition. i20 looks really cool in this shade. I too remember stalling one of my friend's i20 when i drove across the capital in it. But apart from it the power seemed just adequate.
Happy mile crunching with the Hyundai.
Utopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 19:41   #10
BHPian

@flyingkolours: Thanks for the feedback! Will keep updating the post. Will also post some pics of the interiors - I believe I good a very good art leather seat cover installed for a good price!

@utopian: I love the shade too - kinda fell for it the first time we saw it at the dealers' - this also inspired to choose the i20 rather than i10 (initial choice!)
Regarding the power - have had some problems for the last couple of weeks. Have posted a separate post on the problems and niggles - hopefully the mod-gods will approve! Will post the link to that here.
Old 17th January 2011, 21:45   #11
BHPian

Nice choice of color . Can you please post some interior pictures of the car like dashboard etc . Congratulations on the new car do keep us posted .
prashant.dinkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2011, 10:13   #12
BHPian

Smile re: 5 months and 5000 kms with the Hyundai i20 Asta.

@prashant.dinkar: hope to do that this weekend - I know its long overdue!
Will put up the next post on problems and niggles soon...
Old 18th January 2011, 11:01   #13
BHPian

Angry Hyundai i20 Asta - problems and niggles at 5 months and 5000 kms - Part 3

Request to Mods- can you remove 'Week 1 and Part 1' from the thread title.

Here's Part of my ownership review - problems and niggles.
I should say that these have been minimal and the ownership experience has been very pleasant.

In the 5 months that I have owned this beauty, I've had 3 trips to the service centre - describing these in chrono order.

Visit #1 to service centre: Day 2 I smashed the tail lamp and dented the bumper. Booked a slot at Modi Hyundai Service Centre to get it fixed. The service engineer was very helpful. Within 10 minites, the tail lamp was replaced and the dent removed. Total cost - Rs 1300 for parts and labour. The dent was nicely removed and has barely a trace. Total time at service cntre - about 1.5 hrs, on a sunday. Very good experience, except the front desk struggled to cope with sunday rush.
Problem #1: by now started to notice some slight rattling noise from the left side door. Checked the door several times, but noise persists.
Visit #2 to service centre: By the end of 2 months, booked at Shreenath Hyundai for first free service. Reported the rattling problem also. Service engineer was helpful and seemed competent. Took about 1hr to handover the car (on sunday). Went back after 6 hrs to collect the car. Car was nicely washed and cleaned. The rattling appeared to have gone. SE explained some tightening of parts in the door was done. Total cost - Nil. Very pleasant servicing experience.
Problem #2: this surfaced within a couple of weeks of buying the car but didn't realise it was a problem. My car has tubeless radials (stock tyres). Week 2 it sprung a puncture. Left rear wheel had 2 punctures and the valve also had a small crack. Only one puncture had a nail stuck in it. Got them fixed. Within a few days the same wheel started to lose pressure quickly. Ignored it for a few days, getting pressure topped up every 3-4 days. Finally decided to see puncture wallah. This time same wheel had 3 punctures! And none of them had any foreign body! Got them fixed. Within a few days, again tyre started to lose about 1 psi per day. Checked, found one very small pin hole. Got it fixed again. Have spent about 1k so far. Within a few days it again starts to lose pressure! Now I know it is a defective tyre - I mean 7 punctures in 3 months on a new tubeless radial???!!!
So this time, I got the spare wheel fixed in its place. There has been no problem after that.
Problem #3: the car veers to the left if I take my hands off the steering. If I keep the steering dead centre and don't take my hands off, it does not veer to left.
Visit #3 to service centre: its now time to head back to the service centre and I take a slot with Modi Hyundai. This time the front desk is totally inefficient. They are not alloting SE's in the order in which people arrive. After waiting more than 1 hour I and another customer barge into the chief engineers cabin and demand an explanation. Out cars are now accepted - explain the problems to the SE. Come back after 6 hrs. The SE is not available! I demand to know what work was done and they send a boy - mechanic. He doesn't even know what problems were reported and what action was taken. After screaming and scolding he checks the job sheet and gives a 'everything is taken care of' reply. He is not able to explain what was the problem and what was done. He only says 'sir, car is delivered only after all problems reported are taken care of'. By now I am exasparated and we take the car for a test drive. The veering problem is not there, but the steering appears a bit tight. I am not convinced the 2 problems are taken care of. Total cost anyway is NIL. Not a very pleasant experience.
After a month the car now again veers to the left and of course, the tyre continnued to lose pressure and I replaced it with the spare wheel as said above.
Problem #4: after replacing the spare wheel, FE seems to have come down by about 1-2 kmpl. I now only get 14 on the highway and 12 in city, without AC.
Problem #5: pickup also has dropped - with 4 people on board I now have to downshift to 2nd to run up flyovers.
Problem #6: the boot hatch does not shut properly - it has to be closed with a bang.
Problem #7: the rear wiper is not properly aligned. The last one third of its sweep, it seems to want to go inside the car...
Hopefully these will get fixed in the upcoming 2nd free service. Will go to Shreenath Service this time.
Will keep updating this.
In the meanwhile, experienced BHPians and i20 owners - please give me some inputs...
Old 18th January 2011, 16:17   #14
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai i20 Asta - problems and niggles at 5 months and 5000 kms - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramraman View Post
After a month the car now again veers to the left and of course, the tyre continnued to lose pressure and I replaced it with the spare wheel as said above.
Problem #4: after replacing the spare wheel, FE seems to have come down by about 1-2 kmpl. I now only get 14 on the highway and 12 in city, without AC.
Problem #5: pickup also has dropped - with 4 people on board I now have to downshift to 2nd to run up flyovers.
thanks for the updates! I am 5 months junior to you in terms of owning an i20 and learning to drive. I will stay glued to this thread for my benefits.

I guess, this veering problem might be linked to lesser pressure in the tyre or bad wheel alignment. So instead, SE doing some harm to that butter smooth steering wheel, you may ask him to check the tire pressure or wheel alignment.

In terms of reduced FE, an under-rated pressure will contribute to higher traction (than required on city roads) thus reducing the FE. But I am not sure how much the FE will be reduced by just 1 wheel. (I am hinting to bad service instead of tire fault.)
unicorn_i20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 23:11   #15
BHPian

Talking Re: 5 months and 5000 kms with the Hyundai i20 Asta.

Latest FE: 14.4 kmph, ac hardlyu used, all in Mumbai city, atleast a third in bumper to bumper traffic! Wow! Touchwood!