Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 23rd January 2011, 21:30   #1
BHPian

Default Toyota Innova VX BS4 - Not the usual

Hello folks,

It has been quite sometime since I have made posts in TeamBhp. I still recollect my Swift DDSi ownership review which was the first on TeamBhp. I just sold my Swift after it had covered 1.25 lakh KMs. This time I know it is certainly not the first ownership review on Innova but when I was searching through TeamBhp, I never found a recent one on the new BS4 version so I thought this might be useful for a few.

Contenders for my purchase

I have been planning for a 7 seater after living with my Swift for quite sometime. We need a car both for family and official use and it has to be work horse. Two options that were close were Innova and Tata Aria. Innova, I have seen it do serious duty for 5+ lakh KMs with my own eyes and it is fairly comfortable car. But the minus was I felt it was too common and will not stand out. The second contender which I was thinking of opting was kind of a disappointment after I saw the pricetag and test drive. Basically, I have not seen Tata Dicor engines do more than 1.5 lakh KMs with my eyes (excuse me if someone has first hand experience to vouch for Dicor engines). So for a car that can serve only 3 years for my use @4k KM/month, 15 lakhs did not seem to be worth it. Afterall, even the most acclaimed Fiat engine on my Swift had pocketful of critical repairs when it crossed 1.25 lakh KM. Moreover I was let down by the niggling bits and pieces in finish, the LCD display that drips when parked under the sun, cramped 3rd row. So my conclusion neared the other option - Innova.

Choice of variant

Well after having made the choice of Innova, I was little particular about the color and the variant (Grey VX). The Grey color somehow gave a compact impression and was making it look more urban than utility. Also I was impressed with the loads of features that came with the V variant - ABS, MID, Airbags, 3D illumination for instrument cluster, rear parking sensor, Climate control, electronic ORVM, etc. With these features, its truly a VFM compared to even the Toyota Corolla. Its interesting to note that in other parts of the world Innova cost much higher than Corolla (thanks to the brand and model positioning in India).

My Innova

Finally, I made my costliest car purchase so far, the Innova VX 7 seater.

To give it a different look than the thousand Innovas around my car, I thought leather seat would be a good one. Thanks to my new friend Sajith of Kalsson Leather, who did a great makeover for my car. The moulded mats from 3D brand enhances the interior look - highly recommended. I also added the USB, Aux-In support using the XCarLinks kit - works awesome.

Everything else

Drivability

The intercooled turbo diesel D4D is a neat machine. I have always followed BHP, Torque, Ratios and other parameters in the automag for all the cars, but never felt the importance of the cubic capacity. After driving the Innova, I seriously felt that the size does matter. The 2500 cc gives extraordinary driveability and agility to the vehicle. It makes driving effortless, be it any speed any gear. For eg, it can pull the car in the fifth gear from 30 KMPH onwards, requires least feat changes. Thanks the intercooler which has substantially improved the drivability if not the numbers on the paper.

If I was given the wish, I would seriously ask for a 6th gear. After having driven Swift DDSi one of the smoothest diesels in the market till 182 KMPH, Innova sounds good till 110 KMPH, after that it is noiser. The point to note is there is excellent noise insulation to the road noise and the tyre noise, only thing left out is the engine sound. I feel some more deafening would have helped. But nevertheless, the car feels good till 145 KMPH (I havenít gone further). Steering is too realistic, especially in contrast with Swift which is lifeless.

Fuel Efficiency

I read some messages on teambhp that the BS4 version is less efficient because of stringent emission control. But my experience has been good so far, if fuel efficiency is the only concern and if you can do soft peadaling, its not difficult to clock 17+ KMPH in the MID. But if driven carelessly, it settles somewhere around 12.5 in city (Bangalore) and 14 (on highway driving between 100-120 KMPH) all with full AC. The mileage has tremendorous dependency on the speed, it decreases after 110 KMPH.

Comfort

Wow, Iím completely sold on my decision. My journeys are most comfortable than ever. I have travelled in almost all sedans and MUVs. The comfort offered by this car is very good especially the suspension which can absorb any bad condition. I started having the feeling that all roads are good now and journey can be comfortable via any road. Sometimes my car is driver driven and the middle row seat is the best. I work on my laptop or sleep or relax completely in the middle row. Infact my kid has more room to run around in the car. The captain seat enables 3rd passengers to walk to the 3rd row without having to fold and unfold the seat every time.

Conclusion

It is little over two months since I have taken the car. The dealership experience at Nandi Toyota has been good so far, impressive 2 hour services so far. Toyota logo is always reassuring, I have covered close to 9000 KMs and going strong. Iíll hit 1 lakh soon but I m sure this car could cover several lakhs, afterall it is a HILUX truck in disguise of a MUV.

Suggestions Required

We are running out of luggage space when 5+ passengers travel. Is there any option to have removable roof tray.

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is now imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.

Last edited by n_aditya : 25th January 2011 at 16:00.
vishnugs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2011, 21:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Innova VX BS4 - Not the usual

@Vishnugs, congrats on buying the Innova ! It's a very comfortable MUV, I have travelled long distance twice, and the highway ride quality with 8 passengers was very good, I felt.

I have just one query.

How is the low speed ride comfort on broken roads, when driving alone / without load, compared to your Swift ?

Wishing you many comfortable miles in your new vehicle
mooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2011, 22:28   #3
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Hi Vishnu

Congrats on your new drive. Innova is a great UV and drives like a Sedan.

I have been chauffeured around in many times in an Innova. For me the best set of seats is the first row; driver & passenger. The second row gets quite bouncy when driven on roads with undulations.

I'm sure Toyota's reliability will add a lot of piece of mind to your decision.

Safe driving...
MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 02:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnugs View Post
Hello folks,

Suggestions Required

We are running out of luggage space when 5+ passengers travel. Is there any option to have removable roof tray.
The Toyota roof tray is removable. It comes with bolts that can be tightened with bare hands. While it is expensive at nearly INR 10k, I am sure similar, cheaper imitations are available in the market with good brands like Hiker etc.

On another note, luggage space was one reason I bought the 8 seater VX - with 5 persons, or even 6 persons, the luggage space is not an issue as you can fold over half the third row and then the luggage space is sufficient. But then I drive all the time and hence do not need the comfort of the second row "captain seats"

Last edited by Buffetfan : 24th January 2011 at 02:09.
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 02:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Hi Vishnu

C

I have been chauffeured around in many times in an Innova. For me the best set of seats is the first row; driver & passenger. The second row gets quite bouncy when driven on roads with undulations.

Safe driving...

You are correct that the Innova has a moderately firm ride but the new facelifted innova (launched in 2009) seems to have a recalibrated suspension that rides better.

Last edited by mobike008 : 24th January 2011 at 12:09. Reason: Removed an unfinished quote tag
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 05:14   #6
BHPian

Congratulation Vishnu on your new Innova.

Innova is a comfortable MUV and 7 seater with its captain seats provide enormous comfort level to all passengers. I have traveled extensively in Innova and the only concern is on high speeds, it would behave like a boat. City ride would be wonderful and you won’t feel that you are driving such big MUV.

I am sure T-badge and its reliability will make you cross many miles hassle free

Happy and safe driving
camchennai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 11:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the Innova Vishu.
Nice colour, and a very good review too. A colleague is contemplating between a Scorpio and an Innova. I'll recommend your post to him for inputs. Keep regular updates coming please.

How much did you pay OTR for the Innova? Is it less by a big margin compared to the Aria?

Wishing you unlimited safe and happy miles.

Cheers.
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 12:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the buy. Obviously its a great choice with bullet proof engine and reliability. My only gripe is that the on-road price for Vx is close to 15L B'lore.
Can you brief more about "Xcarlink" and it performance & price? as I'm looking for one to install.
What was the damage on the leather seats?
Love the color. Drive safe.
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 17:06   #9
BHPian

Default Re: Toyota Innova VX BS4 - Not the usual

Congratulations! Especially liked the Karlsson touch. I am planning on the same. How much did it cost (including the door panel touches)? BTW, I think Thule might be cheaper than Toyota when it comes to the luggage rack. At least it seemed so for the Fortuner. Also, Thule has a lot of options. I liked one where the extra luggage goes into a large zippered bag like soft cladding that looked better than those overturned boat like hard plastic luggage carriers. Thule's also can be bolted and removed conveniently and also comes with lockable racks to prevent theft.

Enjoy all those KMs that are coming up!
dhuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 18:02   #10
BANNED

@Vishnu- Congrats on the new buy and I must say the interiors of your car look just great. I own an Innova too, and you are right it looks like an MUV but drives exactly like a sedan. But IMO, the toyota engine is not as refined as expected. The innova works really good till a 120kph, but then the less said, the better.
And i would also like to ask you whether you considered the xylo e8 before closing the deal.
DMehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2011, 11:05   #11
BHPian

@mooza, the suspension is very agile. feels stiff enough to inspire confidence till 145 KMPH and is soft enough to absorb worst road conditions of India.

@MAS;2219178, As @Buffetfan had mentioned I presume the suspension setup has been modified over the revisions and the current one is enjoyable both on highway and on the city.

@Buffetfan, I agree, I hit the luggage problem earlier than you because of captain seats, but these are more comfortable for my use. I ll soon take a look at the luggage carrier options both the toyota and the aftermarket ones.

@camchennai, thanks for your wishes. As I had stated earlier in this post, over revisions, they have fixed your compliant. It feels several folds better than swift in terms of bad road handling (infact they are not in comparable scales), on the highway they are kinda comparable though swift is better.

@Reinhard, We operate a branch for our company in Pondicherry, so I got it registered in Pondy and most of the times the car would shuttle between Bangalore and Pondy. So the car was unbelievably cheap, I had to pay 12.6 L on road inclusive of everything. I think its worth the small hassles. If I were to go for Bangalore registration, it seems to be crossing 15.25 L.

@Ramsagar, The XCarLinks was about 4k and its pretty good, gives you even ID3 on the LCD display. Supports unlimited folders, only pain is you have to name the folders as CD01, 02, etc while copying. The audio performance is very good.

@dhuli;2220027, Sajith of Karlsson requested me not to put the price on the site, but I request you to visit him before you make a choice. I can guarantee that the product and the VFM is supreme compared to other options.

Regarding Thule, are there any website with pictures or where in Bangalore can I check them out.

@DMehta, I completely agree with you. I looked at Xylo, it is not near Innova interms of suspension setup and comfort in the first and second row. Though 3rd row is much better in Xylo. Also I was looking for a machine which can do 3+ lakh KM so I preferred Innova.
vishnugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2011, 11:11   #12
BHPian

The deleted images from the first post have been included here.

Toyota Innova VX BS4 - Not the usual-img_6847.jpg

Toyota Innova VX BS4 - Not the usual-img_6254.jpg

Toyota Innova VX BS4 - Not the usual-img_6272.jpg

Toyota Innova VX BS4 - Not the usual-img_6275.jpg

Toyota Innova VX BS4 - Not the usual-img_6854.jpg

Toyota Innova VX BS4 - Not the usual-img_6855.jpg

Toyota Innova VX BS4 - Not the usual-img_6862.jpg
vishnugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2011, 11:36   #13
BHPian

Congragulations on your purchase!

even I've recently purchased the car in Grey 7s GX and am loving every bit of it!

have done a bit of interior modifications which you can check out here (pg.2 & 3): http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...interiors.html (Innova'tive Interiors :D (My Mica Grey Innova with Refreshed Interiors))

- Drive safe, Drive hard
Bhushanrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 01:17   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnugs View Post
Regarding Thule, are there any website with pictures or where in Bangalore can I check them out.
I dont have the pictures. I did see a catalog of Thule products with Ozone OUtdoor chaps (one branch near India Garage StMarks road, and the other in Kumara park) deals with them. I saw a couple of hard case roof storage with rack units. The Thule website i s Thule - Thule Racks - Rack, Carrier, Or Towbar Solutions For Car Transportation of Load and Sports Equipment
dhuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 14:30   #15
Senior - BHPian

Buying in Pondy itself is a good deal. You've almost saved 2.65L on-road in Bangalore.

The Thule store in Bangalore is near India garage(Mahindra Showroom)near SBI Bank St.Marks Road. This is just FYI.
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote