Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 28th January 2011, 12:38   #1
BHPian

Talking Now Thats A Fab New Years Eve - Skoda Fabia 1.6!

Flashback:

The Fabia was definitely not on my shortltist of cars. I was pretty much choosing between the i20 Sports, Polo 1.6 and Grande Punto 1.4. One afternoon while waiting for someone at the Galaxy Hotel in Gurgaon, I decided to head across to Giriraj Skoda to have a look at the Yeti (old man wanted one and I was the official test pilot). While having a peek the person cancelled out and I had time on my hands.
I decided to take their rides for a ride! And when the Fabia came around, it was love at first ride. I had been driving a swift around for the last 4 years and didnt think this bucket would compare. But it did. And more. And How! The 1.2 Fabia blew me away. It made the swift seem like an outdated rickshaw based on its handling, ride quality and yes even power. Believe it! (I think they tweak their TD cars by not caring about FE - you think?) The 1.6 - Wow! I had to have it... the child wanted a new toy!

Flash Forward:

After getting the financing in order and dismissing all the horror stories on Skoda, their Aftters and their parts, the resale value et al, it finally was the day. 31st December 2010. . There it was. Red, shiny and ready to roll (Just so that you know, I like my cars red - the swift is red too!). The delivery experience was strictly OK. I will write about that under a thread for Giriraj Auto. But in all honesty, it was better than my experience with both my Swift and Wagon R. I only spent an hour and a half at the showroom. But thats a story for another place.

The Drive Home:

The showrooms a few clicks away from the house so it gave me a little bit to adjust to the car by myself without anyone in it. Fueled up (2k worth) and off into the wind...LOL! Not really, more like into the dust. I was nervous, as was the car. It was freezing that day and it made everything just that much more difficult. While the car felt good I was just too nervous to take it past 60!

The First Real Drive:

Now the tricky thing about a new car on new years day is driving back late, since you cant let anyone else (implication: better half) drive it that day! So we crawled out at about 10 to a friends place in DLF. I really couldnt get much out of that drive either (we are expecting our first). But here are a few of the things the missus said about the drive:
1) Wow! This is so much smoother than the Swift.
2) Lot more space
3) Better Support on the seats
4) Looks expensive !

Here are a couple of my first impressions as I recall;

1) A lot of Power to be had, I still havent found the sweet spot
2) The braking is spot on and gives me a lot of confidence
3) It knows how to take a corner and a curve on the road
4) That gear shift has to have been made in heaven - or a hip hop video - SLICK!
5) The Music system sucks
6) Need to find the perfect driving position (1K KMs in Im still looking for it)
7) These Fogs actually help!
8) Damn this key is really cooolll!

Its close to a month now that I have been driving her around - and theres a lot more detail Im going to add on the driving/ handling / interiors along with pics. At work now so cant pop the pics on now but will in a while.

And will give you guys the low down on the car! And answer all questions you may have.

Cheers & Drive Safe

Last edited by bblost : 31st January 2011 at 12:22. Reason: Please refer forum rule 11. Thanks.
shivir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 13:18   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Now Thats A Fab New Years Eve - Fabia 1.6!

Keenly waiting for your update dude.

I am getting very impressed by this car.

In a recent test by overdrive magazine where the took a bunch of cars under 12 Lack around a track, Fabia 1.6 came on top. It beat the likes of Fiesta 1.6, Swift and Cedia. Interesetingly it was much faster around corners than polo 1.6 with which it shares the engine.
JediKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 13:58   #3
BHPian

Default Re: Now Thats A Fab New Years Eve - Fabia 1.6!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Keenly waiting for your update dude.

I am getting very impressed by this car.

In a recent test by overdrive magazine where the took a bunch of cars under 12 Lack around a track, Fabia 1.6 came on top. It beat the likes of Fiesta 1.6, Swift and Cedia. Interesetingly it was much faster around corners than polo 1.6 with which it shares the engine.

Not surprised Jedi.. this car is quite a cracker. The Polo 1.6 is hella better looking than this but it didnt feel as good on the drive despite being the same car really, they just look different. Even the indicator stalks are the same. As far as the swift goes Im quite certain the fabia will outperform it, having just moved from a swift. Will write in more detail soon!
Old 29th January 2011, 10:12   #4
BHPian

Default Re: Now Thats A Fab New Years Eve - Skoda Fabia 1.6!

Congratulation Shivir.

Please do tell us about Fuel economy, warranty, service intervals and OTR. Were you able to get any discount??

Where are the pics?? This thread is incomplete without pictures so please have them coming in at the earliest.
camchennai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2011, 10:19   #5
BHPian

congrats shivir for your new toy.IMO fabia in its current avatar is the best looking hatch in the country and the color you have chosen is just like the icing on top.
What kind of FE figures are you getting(pardon me if this question bugs you in any way) and can we please have detailed pics of the car.
Finally wishing you many wonderful miles with your new toy.
trumpcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2011, 10:50   #6
BHPian

Finally!! someone overlooks all the negative publicity that skoda has got on the forum and listens to his heart and buys a fabia. im really looking forward to your review man. post some pics soon.

best of luck and congrats
Zero Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2011, 23:30   #7
BHPian

Ok, so here is a batch of pics. Lost some quality while switching formats and compressing.

And I will write a lot on the FE because trust me it has shocked me. I was expecting 8 or 9 but am getting about 14.5 (albeit no air con yet and the cars not on the redline as often as it will be!)

More pics and words to follow!
Attached Images

shivir is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2011, 01:19   #8
BHPian

Congrats on your flaming red beauty...!!!!!

I drove this car the day it was available for a test-drive. It feels sprighty only after its already rolling. I found the car quite sluggish on low revs. But yes this car is very very good with respect to handling and ride, very mature and sure-footed. Feels absolutely rock-steady at high speeds.

If you loved the gearshift on the fabia, you would have absolutely loved the one on the polo which i think is the best under the 10 lacs bracket. But the skoda trumps the polo when it comes to comfort and space. The music system is the same as the polo, so no surprises that you dont like it.

All in all a great buy for the price and much better than waiting around for the delivery periiod of the 1.6 polo.

Happy high-revving.

PS: Please post some interior snaps, people would be waiting for those.
AdrenalinJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2011, 01:24   #9

congrats shivir for this fab beauty !

I booked mine today in Brilliant Silver 1.2 CR Elegance overlooking all the negative publicity around and eagerly waiting for delivery on monday
mohitjindal.in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2011, 08:05   #10
BHPian

Shivir - Congrats and Interesting ownership report. I was also excited by the launch of the Fabia 1.6, but surprised to see Skoda cutting back on some basic things like rear defogger etc.

Being in Delhi Winter - Are you not missing the rear defogger? especially after the car has been parked outside in the night for sometime
sbhasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2011, 08:22   #11
BHPian

post detailed pics of the interiors as well. i believe they are better in quality than even the polo as there are soft touch. also some pics of the car from the side profile. i somehow get the feeling that the tyres and alloys in the previous model were bigger. is it true or just a figment of my imagination. also let us know how much did u pay for this beauty. any discounts or what. and how exactly is giriraj motors. the buying experience and all.
Old 30th January 2011, 10:46   #12
BHPian

As instructed, I am popping on a few more pics and a few shots of the interiors.

And these were some of the logistics:

1) It cost me 6.3 Lacs on Road in GGN
2) I did opt for the Skoda shield package and that is included in the price above - this gives me a 4 year warranty
3) I agree with the defogger being a big miss but luckily my parking is all underground and didnt really have much of a problem
4) I had a zero waiting period, and thats one of the big clinchers for me - I cant imagine myself waiting around to take delivery once I have made up my mind!
5)Giriraj was strictly OK and like I said I will do a post on them soon in the dealers section

And most of all thank you guys for your wonderful wishes!
Attached Images

Old 30th January 2011, 21:22   #13
BHPian

Power / Driveability / Acceleration and General Gameplay:

Ok, so heres my take on how the car feels to drive in terms of the horses and torque on tap.

First, I agree with the general consensus that the car doesnt fly from a standstill. It is not the quickest to 20 - hell my swift will get there a lot quicker, but honestly, the test of a car is not on how quickly it gets to 20 KMH! Where the torque (more than the Honda City incidentally) and horses kick in is taking this car from 20 to 120. I have taken it all the way to 140 already and got there without much of a problem and the nicest part was the engine was not screaming for mercy when I took it there. Also I could tell the car had plenty more to give, just didnt have the testicular fortitude driving on NH8 at 7:30 PM - and for those of you in GGN, I think that in itself tells you how quickly it got there.

The claims are it hits a hundred in about 11 - I guess it also depends on the quality of shifting. The 105 horses and 150 odd NMs of torque seem plenty for the car, but let me assure you this engine has been detuned for the Indian mind (kitna deti hai?). I am quite certain this block will be able to churn 130+ horses in another country. Dont believe anyone telling you that the car is sluggish - its just about how you drive it. And most importantly the car doesnt seem like its moving too fast, thats perhaps one of the reasons it creates the perception of being a little on the sluggish side. But let me assure you it isnt - not in the least.

Gear shifts feel precise and slick and is definitely a standout feature in my mind. I like the shortish pops and the nice sweet shift motions. 1st gear is only there to make the car roll ahead and serves very little other purpose. 2nd is fun post 3K revs, but where the car shines is on 3rd and 4th which seem to give me a better power band with the car feeling good from as low as 1800 revs. I have redlined 2nd and 3rd a couple of times but still not 4th. Also, the engine is only 1K KMs old so will not start pushing it for the next 500 clicks. But the odd effort to open run it in at high revs has been fun - so stay tuned for the 2K Kms update because by then I would know how this engine performs when pushed!

I will write soon on the Handling / Braking et al. There will also be a detailed write up on the space and interiors.

Just as an afterthought, thought I would reference sidindicas review on the car - the part he wrote about needing to drop gears on the AIIMS flyover. I honestly dont see the need to do that and have pretty much done the whole circuit of the the NCR flyovers - but then again maybe my excitement comes in the way!

NB - @ Zero Cool - I did get a corp discount of about 10K but nothing beyond that. I really couldnt negotiate coz they knew I wanted the car, probably more than they wanted to sell it to me!
Attached Images

Old 30th January 2011, 23:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Shivir on the red beauty! Suddenly am seeing a lot many Skodas on the forum!

When you were at 140, how were the NVH levels in the car? Wind noise, tyre noise etc? Did you find anything overtly irritating or was it all nice and quiet?

Wishing you miles of happiness with the lady in red!
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2011, 11:39   #15
BHPian

^^^ not just on the forum, but a lot of fabias are now on Delhi roads....imo more than punto or even polo for that matter!!! and BTW the fabia looks awesome from the side view and mileage ur getting is amazing for a 1.6ltr car. i mean currently im getting abt 12-13 for my sx4 bhai!!!