Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2011, 17:37   #196
BHPian

Re: Honda City i-VTEC Ownership Report - The Story So Far !

The service costs seem pretty reasonable. How was the staff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
For the paid service, the amount came to some 1200 as it involved oil and charged wash and labour.
So you mean that you opted for mineral oil right? Any particular reason for the same?

Thanks,

Furebo
Old 2nd June 2011, 17:43   #197
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo View Post
The service costs seem pretty reasonable. How was the staff?

So you mean that you opted for mineral oil right? Any particular reason for the same?

Thanks,

Furebo
The service staff is decent; the SA will take forever to attend to your car. Just be sure to be assertive when telling the receptionist about your appointment; she'll call the SA quicker.

After that, they do about their job well. One thing though - take the delivery before 5pm; after that, they become very restless. Even the mechanics want to leave quickly. So, if there's anything pending, like a touch-up or something, they will be fussy about it.

Yep, the car has been on mineral since delivery; no reason for or against actually. Just continuing with stock configuration.

PS : Synthetic oil is generally recommended after 10k kms.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 2nd June 2011 at 17:47.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2011, 18:34   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yep, sure about that ....
... Synthetic oil is double; so say 1900 at max...
... For the paid service, the amount came to some 1200 as it involved oil and charged wash and labour...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
4,000 for synthetic oil , which brand are you referring to?
A litre of Mobil1 5W40 fully synthetic costs ~1050Rs. How many liters do you think your car wants? 1.3L Ford ROCAM petrol mill needs exactly 4.3 liters of oil. All fully synthetic brands cost ~1000/litre.

And Nishad, the periodic service charge(labor) alone is 750Rs for Ford, and IIRC, for maruthi too its the same. Add to that a ~200rs/liter of mineral oil = ~800-900rs, and if washed, then an additional 250. The total should come around ~2000-~2500. Could you please confirm how much they charged labor for that specific periodic service?
Old 2nd June 2011, 18:42   #199
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
And Nishad, the periodic service charge(labor) alone is 750Rs for Ford, and IIRC, for maruthi too its the same. Add to that a ~200rs/liter of mineral oil = ~800-900rs, and if washed, then an additional 250. The total should come around ~2000-~2500. Could you please confirm how much they charged labor for that specific periodic service?
Well, could you please go to the earlier 2 pages of this thread. You'll know why it came to just 1200.

It was not a scheduled service actually. Dad just got a call from Pearl Honda stating that Honda recommends servicing every 3 months/5000kms. When he went there, he was told by the SA that it is a "checkup" every 3 months/5000kms and servicing (oil change etc) every 6 months/5000kms.

However, they did change the engine oil and charged labour for it. Hence, the amount is just 1200. So effectively, they had not carried out the "periodic service" because the car had run just 3000kms and last service was done 3 months ago. (I followed it up with Honda and had the charges reversed)

About the synthetic oil, I distinctly remember the SA telling me it would be 900 for mineral and 1800 for synthetic.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 2nd June 2011 at 18:44.
Old 2nd June 2011, 18:56   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanaticOnWheels View Post
The car has alloys (it is the V-MT model). Well, we have not checked the balancing yet. I will have to do that soon.

The Music system with AUX/USB input is just perfect for me, though might not be for audiophiles).

As far as the top speed is concerned, the city has it's top speed electronically limited to 190 km/hr (speedo). Remember reading this somewhere in the manual/internet.
Please do the balancing before taking the ANHC to high speeds.
It is not advisable to ride without balancing the wheels.
There are 2 options for balance weights in case of alloys.
One is the sticker type balance weights that are put on the alloy rims (inside/outside) and the other is the clip type weights but these are made of special materials.
Please go to a reliable tyre shop who is knowledgeable and friendly and get the wheels balanced immediately.
Also please take care that the alloys are not damaged while removing and handling while balancing.
Old 2nd June 2011, 19:01   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, could you please go to the earlier 2 pages of this thread. You'll know why it came to just 1200.

It was not a scheduled service actually...

... About the synthetic oil, I distinctly remember the SA telling me it would be 900 for mineral and 1800 for synthetic.
Ah.. now I get it.

Also, Nishad, there is no way synthetic oil would cost 1800 unless they are using less than 2 liters of it. I seriously doubt that its semi-synthetic they are referring to. I hope you know how knowledgeable the A.S.S guys are.

@bluevolt: Sorry for barging into your thread, and if not Nishad hadnt directed me to the previous pages, I would have missed a show of some superb photographic skills!!.. The car is drool worthy mate!.

Quote:
A few snaps I managed to take today morning.

Last edited by dhanushs : 2nd June 2011 at 19:05.
Old 2nd June 2011, 19:10   #202
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also, Nishad, there is no way synthetic oil would cost 1800 unless they are using less than 2 liters of it. I seriously doubt that its semi-synthetic they are referring to. I hope you know how knowledgeable the A.S.S guys are.
I'll call them up and check tomorrow. It could very well be semi-synthetic as you said.

Since my car has just done about 3.5k kms, I'm not considering synthetic oil as yet. To add to it, a 700 km-odd running a month.
Old 2nd June 2011, 19:24   #203
BHPian

Quote:
I'll call them up and check tomorrow. It could very well be semi-synthetic as you said.
@Nishad: I think we need some correction here. I vaguely remember the SA quoting me approx 3.5K when I asked about synthetic oil replacement. As I didn't go for it I don't have numbers to cross check and confirm. I guess ANHC requires around 3.6/3.7 litres of oil during the change.
Old 2nd June 2011, 19:31   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you're phone has an external SD card (any memory card for that matter), it will detect it. You can play music from it.

Yup it has a 2 GB SD and I just checked that it is working so this will be even more convenient for me. If this is detecting my Navigator then it will definitely detect my dad's and brother's blackberry phones, will try them also.

Quote:
. I seriously doubt that its semi-synthetic they are referring to. I hope you know how knowledgeable the A.S.S guys are.
+1, this could be the case, will also cross check with my SVC during service.

Quote:
@bluevolt: Sorry for barging into your thread, and if not Nishad hadnt directed me to the previous pages, I would have missed a show of some superb photographic skills!!.. The car is drool worthy mate!.
Thanks mate, I am glad you liked the pictures. Though I am no professional in this field but have immense passion for photography. Experience and necessary equipment is still required to improve my skills in this area.

Last edited by bluevolt : 2nd June 2011 at 19:40.
Old 2nd June 2011, 19:44   #205
Senior - BHPian

Mate , chanced upon the discussion on engine oil . Frankly, I was pretty confused with all the grades and debate about synthetic / mineral / semi synthetic so I turned to my BIL who has been handling marketing and sales of SERVO for more than 10 years . He mentioned that for everyday use and non high performance cars (means non maniac engine rpms which is not seen in our sedans) synthetic oils are a overkill - for the first year or so mineral oil is good enough and when oil change is done , it should be flushed . This is because the mated parts in new cars leave deposits , flushing takes it out of the system is good for the car. Thus mineral oils are cost effective and are extremely capable enough to protect the engine .

He mentioned that the grade is the most important .
Well, I still put synthetic oil in my Vento though I would have to flush out 4K in a few months time
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2011, 20:15   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Since my car has just done about 3.5k kms,
You are right, you don't need it now. I would recommend it only after about 20k kms. Synthetic oil delays the running in of a new mill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
....synthetic oils are a overkill ....
Trust me, switch to synthetic oil on a 50-70k kms car, and you'll know the difference.

Here's a very detailed discussion on the topic.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...neral-oil.html
Old 3rd June 2011, 14:29   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I seriously doubt that its semi-synthetic they are referring to. I hope you know how knowledgeable the A.S.S guys are.
I called RR Honda and asked whether they use Semi-synthetic or fully synthetic oil in Honda City. The person on line had no idea and sometime he said its synthetic and other moment he said no Saar its semi-synthetic, when i was just about to disconnect the phone he again said no sir it is synthetic. I guess even they have no idea, have to check in person while servicing the car.

Last edited by bluevolt : 3rd June 2011 at 14:30.
Old 3rd June 2011, 14:42   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... have to check in person while servicing the car.
I don't think that will help either, as the oil's do not come in packs where we can see and verify. They come in barrels.

And, of course, you will get some great answers to add in "quirky and funny comments" thread.

Just try to buy ANY brand of fully synthetic oil aftermarket, and you will know the price.
Old 3rd June 2011, 15:37   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just try to buy ANY brand of fully synthetic oil aftermarket, and you will know the price.
I remember when I was inquiring for synthetic oil for my bike karizma the retailer quoted some 900 INR for a bottle of castrol full synthetic oil(1 Liter).

So I am now sure that SVC use semi-synthetic oil.

Pictures time again, so here are some .

PS - @ Nishad, these pictures were taken a couple of weeks back, ribbon is now removed. Next set of pictures will be without ribbon.
Attached Thumbnails
It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-honda-city-5.jpg  

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-honda-city-4.jpg  

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-honda-city-3.jpg  

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-honda-city-2.jpg  

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-honda-city-1.jpg  

Last edited by bluevolt : 3rd June 2011 at 15:40.
Old 3rd June 2011, 21:44   #210
BHPian

Hi bluevolt, longtime since writing to you, but have been following the thread as much as possible.
Your car looks great in those pictures.
Have you done any detailing on the body?
How do you clean and bring out the shine, could you share your experience.
How is the performance of Goodyear tires? Any plans to upgrade the tires?

HC

Most Viewed