Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 22nd February 2011, 21:41   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Grenzenlose Freiheit with my Grande Punto: 3400 KMS Update

I will suggest , get the engine oil changed.
Also if you have any issues to report ask them to fix it properly LOL :-) .
Where are you planning to get the car serviced KHT ?

Cheers
Schoudhury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 09:38   #17
BHPian

Hello All,

I have a few questions about the sun control strip that I see on many cars here in bangalore. I am referring to the 4-6 inch strip on top of the front wind shield.

1. Is it legal to sport it..?
2. I am assuming that it helps a lot in early morning / early evening drives, when the sun is just in that range of your windsiled. Agreed that there is visor provided in the car, but somehow, i feel they are not enough. Is my assumption correct..?
3. Any suggestions on some good brands that are avilable in the market? I would prefer the kind of film which in which the transperency increases as the film goes down. (hope i put it correctly).

Thanks in advance.

PS: I have posted the same question in the sunfilms thread, no response there, so posting it here again.
vidyasagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 20:17   #18
BHPian

Default Grenzenlose Freiheit with my Grande Punto: First 1600 KM report

Dear All,

Thanks to a couple of long trips, the odo now stands at 3400 km. The first service is completed. Prerana motors, Kudlu gate did a decent enough job. All the minor issues were sorted out. Interior and Exteriors were throughly cleaned, car was delivered exactly on the date and time promised.

I really don't know if they have done something during service, the car is definitely not the same as before. I think this is what the fellow punto owners keep raving about as "Engine opening up after about 3000 KM".

I went for a short trip to Lepakshi last weekend, it was such a pleasure to drive the "opened up" punto on those roads (morning NH7). Until I took a look, i never even guessed that i was at 165 kmph (@3500 RPM).Purposely i did not take the car to higher speeds as i was worried about the stock tyres and was not sure about the speed rating. I guess my baby is undergoing a metamorphasis and becoming a beast.

I clearly am observing the following after 3K milestone.

1. In gear accelaration has improved
2. Engine noise reduced
3. Butter smooth gear shift
3. Low end response improved a lot (2nd Gear seems not so bad after all).

What a car this is..absolute Jewel. God bless Fiat.

Last edited by Stratos : 4th March 2011 at 12:26.
Old 1st March 2011, 16:41   #19
BHPian

Cogratulations Vidyasagar . . . on becoming the proud owner of the Italian Beauty. I see that you have already covered 3400+ kms on your new car. Great going . . . do post more experiences with your car.
Kaustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 18:11   #20
BHPian

Congrats on the Punto Active.Really a VFM variant isnt it?I have a Punto Dynamic MJD with 15 inch alloys and a good ICE.I would suggest you to go for 15 inches with 195/60/15 as in the E Pack.Also get all the pillars done in black.It is really required to bring out the flamboyance of the Punto.My car came with the strips since it was a Dynamic.Sorry to hijack your thread,here is a pic of my car with the black strips.Hope you get it.
Attached Thumbnails
Grenzenlose Freiheit with my Grande Punto: 3400 KMS Update-imag0026.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by vigneshram : 1st March 2011 at 18:15.
vigneshram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 19:17   #21
BHPian

Thanks Kaustav, Vignesh,

I was hooked on to your threads before buying my car..it certainly aided the decision making process.

@Vignesh: I remember that you had some info about 98 PCD alloys for Punto, do you still have the info..?

And Ya, i have blackened the B pillars, more pictures will follow..keep watching this space.
Old 7th April 2011, 18:29   #22
BHPian

Default Re: Grenzenlose Freiheit with my Grande Punto: 3400 KMS Update

Hi Vidya & Vignesh !!

My white chic (Punto EMOTION) has done 16k in 7 months .... that was an intro.

Anyways, now coming to the query regarding speakers to be installed at rear and need help from u guys and other audio Gurus.

I want loud and good bass but no amps for me ... just to give you an example that i have 6" GTO 636 in my other car and content with its sound quality but this time looking for something even better ... probably ovals should take care of this.

I have had inputs from my car accessory buddy for JBL GT5 S396 at rear.

- How is the performance of these speakers ? any other speakers u suggest as i will retain the stock front speakers and HU and use fader to put 20% load on front and rest all on rear for improved sound output.

- How to install the rear speakers since Punto's parcel tray is very weak and cannot carry the load of these 2 speakers ?

Waiting .................
namit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 09:51   #23
BHPian

Hello All,

Sorry for not updating this thread for so long. I was away from India for a while, and did not use the car that much.

But last weekend, I had a marathon drive of almost 900 km. I know that this is not much when compared to other members of the forum, some of whom covered this distance in just one day, however, for me it was more or less a marathon.

The route was Banglaore - Tirupati - Chennai - Tirupati - Bangalore.

The road conditions are very good. My ODO now stands at 6100 Km. Even after driving for such a long distance (from my perspective), I do not have any tiredness or discomfort physically or mentally. The car is really fantastic to drive and crunches miles effortlessly. Even my passengers were never tired of praising how comfortable it is in the rear seats.

The AC was performing great in hot summers of tirupati and chennai.

The whole trip was done in about just a tankfull. with the current prices of petrol in india, I can't be more pleased to have bought a diesel punto.

The more i drive this car, the more i am falling in love with it. As always, i strongly suggest Punto to all of those people who are in doubt to buy it or not.

Cheers and keep driving safe.
Old 14th June 2011, 11:07   #24
BHPian

Hi Vidhyasagar,
I was trying your mobile number and extension number in last 2 months.I could not able to reach you.How are you and hows your car doing.

How was your car performance and mileage issues.
When will you be available,So that i can call you.
dmaheshkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 15:54   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyasagar View Post
The more i drive this car, the more i am falling in love with it. As always, i strongly suggest Punto to all of those people who are in doubt to buy it or not.
Yours recent update have added a feeling of satisfaction in me towards Fiat Punto 1.3 MjD, as I'm on the verge of buying a New Premium hatchback with Punto 1.3 MjD Emo Pk at the top(i20 CRDi & All new Swift are the other two chices) on my priority list, but only hesitated about its Peace of mind quotient for long-term & most of the Highway usage.
Can you Please comment/clarify on this further.
CRtorquefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 17:21   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
Yours recent update have added a feeling of satisfaction in me towards Fiat Punto 1.3 MjD, as I'm on the verge of buying a New Premium hatchback with Punto 1.3 MjD Emo Pk at the top(i20 CRDi & All new Swift are the other two chices) on my priority list, but only hesitated about its Peace of mind quotient for long-term & most of the Highway usage.
For highway usage look no further than Punto, go for the VGT version if possible, will give you more power and Mileage, one of my friend has punto, will about to complete two years has driven close to 36k, no issues with the car, very reliable, and now all the small niggles with initial batch punto has been taken care, expect a trouble free experience.
parimal_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 18:24   #27
BHPian

Quote:
@CRtorquefan: go get yourself a Punto, I got mine on April 23rd 2011 and I have driven close to 4000kms. This is one car that is very comfortable on long drives and is very economical also. The average cost/km is Rs2.50.

Last edited by nkg77 : 14th June 2011 at 18:26. Reason: wrong date
nkg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 09:07   #28
BHPian

Apologies for a delayed reply and update..

The odo now stands at 7700 kms. Changed the stock tyres and rims. Linea alloys are now doing the job on my punto. for the rubber, choose yokohama dB V550 in 195/60/R15. Performance improved by leaps and bounds. Will post some pics soon.

I fully understand that no one in this forum (me included) encourage testing speed limits on our moron infested highways..still I submit that I managed to touch 170 kmph on NH4, with 4 adults on board, boot loaded with weekend luggage and AC on. The car was rock solid and until my cousin pointed out, i was thinking that speed was only around 150(was keeping my eyes glued to the road).

My observations on the rubber change and other modifications that i have done on the car in the recent past would be coming up as a later post.

Keep driving safe.

@CRtorquefan: If Punto is in your shortlist, do not look beyond it. you can PM me in case you need more justification on my above statement.
Old 15th June 2011, 12:08   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Hi CRtorquefan,
All I can say is that please do NOT expect that everything will be 100% hunky dory. If you cannot live with the possibility of small niggles, you should not buy this car.

I bought a Punto last month, and well, I cannot honestly say that the car has been 100% fool-proof. You can refer my thread to see the problem I have faced with the malfunctioning lock.

What I CAN say without a doubt is that when all IS well, nothing, simply nothing comes close to matching the Punto. Once you drive it, you will be hooked.

I personally see it as a VFM product in the premium hatch segment. Its simply the cheapest diesel hatch vis-a-vis the i20 or Polo. In that sense, its impossible not to consider this vehicle at all.

If you are confident about the service experience in your city, then you should consider taking the plunge.
Pyrotek is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 14:27   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

I second Pyrotek's thoughts here.
Punto is the best car around in its category if you ignore small niggles and trips to the A.S.S to solve them.
I mean...there is no perfect car. All have some compromises or the other. the compromises that we take in Punto is less significant compared to others because these compromises can be solved

Coming to vidyasagar's Punto, I have seen it in flesh and I must say....I might hatch a plan to steal his alloys

@vidyasagar, not sure if this is what is called hijacking a thread...I'm posting a picture of YOUR car which i had taken on my mobile camera
Grenzenlose Freiheit with my Grande Punto: 3400 KMS Update-030620111067.jpg

and....SECURE YOUR ALLOY WHEELS

Enjoy many more miles buddy.
hemanth.anand is offline   Reply With Quote