Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 5th February 2011, 13:11   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Chevy Beat LT - Sandrift Grey - Elegant and Modern!

@rsramkee
following your footsteps just went and booked Beat LT at Sundaram.
As suggested by you made the sales guys to allow me take insurance outside. Saved 6k. Thx a lot
Got the usual sunfilm, mats and mudflaps free. Plus 15k discount also.
Went for white colour as wifey didn't agree to my fav colour black.
Will get my car in 8 days.
Overall buying experience has been fine at Sundaram without any sore points.

Can you post or PM me the 9th and 10th digit of your VIN number so that i can figure out what letter/digit represent a 2011 Jan make car?

Last edited by Daewood : 5th February 2011 at 13:24.
Daewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2011, 19:06   #32
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Chevy Beat LT - Sandrift Grey - Elegant and Modern!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsramkee View Post
@SMK_BLR: Thanks

Just finished my first 100 KMs. Some of my other observations

6. Contrary to the reviews I have read, I find that during the day when the headlights are turned off, the speedo area is too dark to get a quick glance of the speed. Its not an issue in the night. Is it that the speedo is supposed to be backlit all the time or its just me?
It is backlit. Check the console. It is very legible in day time.

Other observations are same as mine. I had gone for art leather from Dealer itself. Same colour of the dash/plastics. Got it for 3800 inclusive of tax.

Gear shift is butter smooth now at around 6500kms

Regards

Vinu
myavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2011, 21:16   #33
Senior - BHPian

It is supposed to be backlit through out and there is not option to switch it off, considering it is all digital

Even I find it very clear in the day. I have completed just around 1500KM, and as of now the gear shifting does not feel entirely smooth and I hate the mileage. Hope that becomes better
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2011, 12:06   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
@rsramkee
following your footsteps just went and booked Beat LT at Sundaram.
As suggested by you made the sales guys to allow me take insurance outside. Saved 6k. Thx a lot
Got the usual sunfilm, mats and mudflaps free. Plus 15k discount also.
Went for white colour as wifey didn't agree to my fav colour black.
Will get my car in 8 days.
Overall buying experience has been fine at Sundaram without any sore points.

Can you post or PM me the 9th and 10th digit of your VIN number so that i can figure out what letter/digit represent a 2011 Jan make car?
Congrats Daewood. I am very glad I could help. Interesting to know the 15K discount is still on. I was told it was only until Jan 25. White Beat LT with the sunfilm should look stunning.

The 9th and 10th digits of my VIN are AB. Which should mean Jan 2011 according to this post:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2034687 (Finding the VIN & manufacturing date/year on Indian cars)

I actually did ask the guys there as well before I booked that it was indeed a Jan 2011 model to which they replied that they had already sold all but one of their 2010 cars and unless someone specifically asked for the 2010 models, they were not selling them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
It is backlit. Check the console. It is very legible in day time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
It is supposed to be backlit through out and there is not option to switch it off, considering it is all digital
Ok. I am not sure I was clear earlier. The digital display with the odo and tacho is backlit all the time and is clear. But the speedometer is the one which gets backlit only when I turn the lights on. During the day it is not backlit and so sometimes I find it tough to check the speed. Are you guys saying your speedometer is backlit even during the day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Other observations are same as mine. I had gone for art leather from Dealer itself. Same colour of the dash/plastics. Got it for 3800 inclusive of tax.

Gear shift is butter smooth now at around 6500kms
Thanks. Good to know gear shift is smooth. I guess I should just wait it out. I will have to get second opinion on art leather given the chennai heat.
rsramkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2011, 11:44   #35
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Chevy Beat LT - Sandrift Grey - Elegant and Modern!

Quote:
Ok. I am not sure I was clear earlier. The digital display with the odo and tacho is backlit all the time and is clear. But the speedometer is the one which gets backlit only when I turn the lights on. During the day it is not backlit and so sometimes I find it tough to check the speed. Are you guys saying your speedometer is backlit even during the day?
Speedometer is big and legible by default. No backlit required unless really dark. If you have some problem reading it, switch on the parking/DRL lamp.

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 11:18   #36
BHPian

Quote:
The 9th and 10th digits of my VIN are AB. Which should mean Jan 2011 according to this post:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2034687 (Finding the VIN & manufacturing date/year on Indian cars)

I actually did ask the guys there as well before I booked that it was indeed a Jan 2011 model to which they replied that they had already sold all but one of their 2010 cars and unless someone specifically asked for the 2010 models, they were not selling them.
Thx again.
Hope you're busy clocking more miles on your new car.
Guess yours is the first car in the forum with the new Smartech engine,
do post more observations about it.
Old 10th February 2011, 00:05   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Thx again.
Hope you're busy clocking more miles on your new car.
Guess yours is the first car in the forum with the new Smartech engine,
do post more observations about it.
Its been so far so good. I just did my first highway drive from chennai to bangalore.

The first gear is short but the second and third are very good in terms of handling low speeds. The car pulled away comfortably in the 4th and 5th gears. I had to restrict myself to not exceed 80 because I did not want to go beyond 2K RPM. On a few occasions, the driving was so comfortable that hit 90-100K without realizing it and the RPM went up to almost 3K. Had to control myself and slow down.

A couple of instances where I had to almost come to a halt within a short distance because of idiotic truck drivers reversing (!!!) in the middle of the highway, the braking was sure and gave me the feeling that I was in control.

What was not so comforting was the performance when climbing up a slope with the AC on. Around krishnagiri, there are a couple of places where the incline is significant enough to test this car and I had to turn the AC off to ensure I could pull away quickly after overtaking a very slow moving truck. I will some day take my car to Yelagiri and see how it performs on those slopes.

Started off with 3/4th of the tank and I still have a quarter of a tank fuel left thanks to the careful driving because of me running in the engine, despite have the Auto AC on all the time. I am traveling now but come weekend, I should burn the remainder of the fuel, will have my first FE number.
Old 10th February 2011, 10:22   #38
BHPian

Quote:
What was not so comforting was the performance when climbing up a slope with the AC on.
Do not worry. After proper running-in, performance will improve and you will not feel any sluggishness on uphills.
Topolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 11:22   #39
BHPian

Quote:
A couple of instances where I had to almost come to a halt within a short distance because of idiotic truck drivers reversing (!!!) in the middle of the highway, the braking was sure and gave me the feeling that I was in control.
That's good news.
I was thinking that a tyre upgrade is a must for Beat,
for good control in the highways.
Old 12th February 2011, 21:04   #40
BHPian

I just burnt through my first full tank.

A total of 467 Kilometers, of which approximately 300 were in highway conditions.

31 odd litres of IOC XtraPremium

That gives me 15 KM per L.

Considering the car itself has done only 555 KM, I am pretty happy with this number. Will keep monitoring to see how it goes.

So far so good
Old 12th February 2011, 23:22   #41
Senior - BHPian

^^That is good, but more so because of the higway numbers. Get a feel of it in the city. It may be much lesser

I am waiting for the 2nd service, after which I should experience some good mileage numbers.
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 16:25   #42
BHPian

Quote:
That's good news.
I was thinking that a tyre upgrade is a must for Beat,
for good control in the highways.
I must add a disclaimer that I was going at not more than 80 because of the run in period. The better test will be braking when going at 100 or over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
^^That is good, but more so because of the higway numbers. Get a feel of it in the city. It may be much lesser

I am waiting for the 2nd service, after which I should experience some good mileage numbers.
It sure will be lesser in the city. In fact I would say approximately half the fuel was consumed in the highway and the remaining half in the city. I think the split was something like 18 on the highway and 12 in the city. Plus my driving was constrained to not more than 2-2.5K RPM. I will wait and average it out after a few full tank to full tank measurements.
Old 13th February 2011, 18:14   #43
BHPian

Hi rsramkee,
Congratulations.
Welcome to Beat club.
Nice review. Sandrift grey is nice colour.
Wish you an exciting and safe driving experience with your Beat.
salbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 21:19   #44
BHPian

Welcome to the Beat club. I wish this colour was available when i bought the car. I thought i'll put in my comments regarding my experience with the car (seeing that i've covered 13000 kms in my beat, i guess it makes me "experienced"). Rest assured that the performance and FE will improve. Just wait for the 5000 km service. I was getting close to 10 kmpl earlier, now i'm getting 14kmpl in mixed ac/non ac use (100% city). I do envy sajjt/salbin who are extracting 16-16.5 kmpl from their cars. No more sluggishness on climbs. AC is wonderful in Nagpur heat without any sunfilm installation. Service experience has been great. You can check out my thread, but i've not updated it for quite a while. Overall, i must say i m a very very happy BEAT owner, And you'll be one too.
akshatverma1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 10:46   #45
BHPian

Quote:
That gives me 15 KM per L.
15 kmpl with AC or without AC.
Topolino is offline   Reply With Quote