Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 14th February 2011, 12:30   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Chevy Beat LT - Sandrift Grey - Elegant and Modern!

rsramkee , congrats on the new buy dude..
One thing u forgot to mention. Dont you think the high revving sound of the beat is so addictive?
My beat LT(o) has completed 10 k and is due for service.Recently the mileage has gone above 15 and the gear shift has gone really smooth. Only worry with gear shift now is when i engage in Reverse.Thats the only problem i faced.
As somebody said the coin holder with coins do rattle on rough roads, that really irritates.
kphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 13:35   #47
Senior - BHPian

Ok, on reading on of the posts here by akshatverma1979 on his line "no more sluggishness on climbs'', so I assume that this is experienced by others as well. Because I feel this when i go up some steep inclines.

Does this go away after the 5k service and rsramkee, do you also feel the same
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 15:52   #48
BHPian

@Salbin: Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshatverma1979 View Post
Welcome to the Beat club. I wish this colour was available when i bought the car. I thought i'll put in my comments regarding my experience with the car (seeing that i've covered 13000 kms in my beat, i guess it makes me "experienced"). Rest assured that the performance and FE will improve. Just wait for the 5000 km service. I was getting close to 10 kmpl earlier, now i'm getting 14kmpl in mixed ac/non ac use (100% city). I do envy sajjt/salbin who are extracting 16-16.5 kmpl from their cars. No more sluggishness on climbs. AC is wonderful in Nagpur heat without any sunfilm installation. Service experience has been great. You can check out my thread, but i've not updated it for quite a while. Overall, i must say i m a very very happy BEAT owner, And you'll be one too.
Very reassuring to know. Look forward to your update given you are indeed an experienced owner. FE I guess depends so much on various factors like fuel, driving style, traffic etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topolino View Post
15 kmpl with AC or without AC.
Sorry for not mentioning. With Auto AC on all the time. In the city, the auto AC was turning on cooling all the time, I guess because I was driving during the day when it was sunny and warm. My highway drive started early in the morning and hence I noticed the AC was automatically switched off for almost 50-60 Kms until the sun came out strong.
rsramkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 18:46   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kphilip View Post
rsramkee , congrats on the new buy dude..
One thing u forgot to mention. Dont you think the high revving sound of the beat is so addictive?
Thanks I have resisted revving the engine because I want to run it in carefully. I am waiting to cross the 1000 KM mark before I being to play with it.

Quote:
My beat LT(o) has completed 10 k and is due for service.Recently the mileage has gone above 15 and the gear shift has gone really smooth. Only worry with gear shift now is when i engage in Reverse.Thats the only problem i faced.
What is the issue with engaging the reverse gear?

Quote:
As somebody said the coin holder with coins do rattle on rough roads, that really irritates.
Funnily, there is no noise if the coins are placed in the door handle pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
Ok, on reading on of the posts here by akshatverma1979 on his line "no more sluggishness on climbs'', so I assume that this is experienced by others as well. Because I feel this when i go up some steep inclines.
Does this go away after the 5k service and rsramkee, do you also feel the same
I certainly feel the sluggishness and I had to switch the AC off. But my car has only done 550+ KMs and I will have to see how it changes after I run in my engine.
Old 20th February 2011, 07:57   #50
BHPian

Ok. So just finished my first 1000 KMs and now I can take her up to 3K RPM.

Finished another tank full run.

This time too 465 Kms on a full tank with 300 on the highway, the rest in really bad bumper to bumper city traffic. Gives me exactly 15 KM/Ltr again. Auto AC On 100% of the time. I did not keep track of when the auto AC shut off cooling and when it turned it on but the ride was comfortable 100% of the time.

No niggles so far. I notice the car interiors show up dirt, especially the shiny black bit. Have to keep cleaning. What I am noticing though is that the seat is not really very supporting of your under thighs on long drives. It does get tiring after 2-3 hours, even with short breaks in between. I am beginning to think I may need to add some sort of a cushion to make it easy for myself, though I dont expect too many highway drives after my run in period.

The driving has been lovely to say the least. I am actually enjoying this car and finding excuses just to drive it around a bit.
Old 20th February 2011, 11:50   #51
BHPian

You are getting a good mileage , i would recommend keeping the rev limit to 2000 to get optimal mileage. Even i try find excuses to drive her around.
Mr.Beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 21:37   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah!! The engine roars when revved, unlike some cars that whine and whistle when taken to the limits! .

Very addictive indeed!
Auto freak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 19:02   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto freak View Post
Yeah!! The engine roars when revved, unlike some cars that whine and whistle when taken to the limits!
Very addictive indeed!
Since I finished my 1000 KMs, I took her today to 3K RPM and on occasions just a tad bit more

The engine does "roar", much like how the first BEAT TV Ad featured it. I like it

Mr.Beat: I agree with you. Now that I have had my fun taking her to 3K, I am going to keep her under 2K as much as I can and be a "green" driver.

Some more updates:
1. The gear shift has become much better now. No as rubbery as before. Becoming more notchy.
2. The engine also "seems" smoother now. I dont get that vibration on the accelerator pedal unless I cross 2.5K RPM. The noise levels inside the car are very acceptable at 3K RPM (include the roar). A couple of times, unknowingly I sailed past 3K RPM to 120 Kmph before pulling back.
3. This car does begin to feel a little "shaky", for the lack of a better word, once you cross 100 kmph. I think I now understand why this car was described as under-tyred. The steering is very responsive (the opposite of toyotas, which are deliberately made the other way) and so at high speeds, you better be watchful.
4. Long drives definitely hurt your bottom and the under-thighs. Maybe its just me at 6 ft. Need regular breaks where I get out and take a 2 minute walk.
5. The issue with the car being sluggish on an incline with AC on is very much still there
6. The stock rubber floor mats that came with the car get very dirty. Bought carpet mats from Spar. 500 bucks, some brand called Recaro (copying the seat brand I guess) but serves the purpose very well.

Will very soon burn through my third full tank of fuel and will post FE numbers.

Last edited by rsramkee : 24th February 2011 at 19:07.
Old 25th February 2011, 16:11   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topolino View Post
15 kmpl with AC or without AC.
Awesome real life mileage. I haven't come across many drivers of Hyundai i10 who have claimed a mileage of above 14 in real-life driving. Good to see so many beat owners claiming 15+ real life mileages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
Hi rsramkee,
Congratulations.
Welcome to Beat club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshatverma1979 View Post
Welcome to the Beat club. I wish this colour was available when i bought the car.
Is there really a Beat owners Club? Would be fun to have a Beat Owner' Club FB page as well.

I am not a beat owner as of now but I am awaiting for Beat diesel though, to join the club

Last edited by anu21v : 25th February 2011 at 16:18.
anu21v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 22:35   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
Awesome real life mileage. I haven't come across many drivers of Hyundai i10 who have claimed a mileage of above 14 in real-life driving. Good to see so many beat owners claiming 15+ real life mileages.
thanks.

Just finished my third full tank of XtraPremium. Managed a tad lesser this time. 455 KMs of which 300 were highway with Auto AC on. So its down to 14.6. The significant different this time was that I took her up to 3K RPM after I crossed 1000 KMs. That made the FE dip slightly.

My next tank should be all bumper to bumper city traffic. Waiting to see this number dip to 12 or so if my guess is right. Will know in another few days.
Old 26th February 2011, 00:50   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
I have had an I10 1.2 VTVT since December 13, 2010 and I have done three FE tests so far, using the auto cut-off system. First FE: 18 kmpl, Second FE: 18.74 kmpl and third FE: 17.4 kmpl. All these readings have been 100% in read-life situations.
misquitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2011, 22:07   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
I have had an I10 1.2 VTVT since December 13, 2010 and I have done three FE tests so far, using the auto cut-off system. First FE: 18 kmpl, Second FE: 18.74 kmpl and third FE: 17.4 kmpl. All these readings have been 100% in read-life situations.
Cool!! Those mileage figures would make M800 and Alto users envious...They are generally the undisputed kings when it comes to petrol car mileages on our roads in general...
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2011, 22:44   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Cool!! Those mileage figures would make M800 and Alto users envious...They are generally the undisputed kings when it comes to petrol car mileages on our roads in general...

To be truthful these readings are not surprising. If driven properly the i10 is the mileage king.

The i10 has one of the highest ARAI figure of 20.36 kmpl
Zappex is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2011, 19:37   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappex View Post

To be truthful these readings are not surprising. If driven properly the i10 is the mileage king. The i10 has one of the highest ARAI figure of 20.36 kmpl
I do not mean to hijack this thread or be off-topic, but I placed by FE figures only because someone said the I10 delivers poor FE readings, in comparison to the Beat. As Zappex has suggested, "if driven properly", the I10 1.2 VTVT can deliver impressive results. But no, I do not go by ARAI readings,as they are highly suspect. My Alto LXI has always returned over 19kmpl (on 8 different FE tests).

Point is, most cars are capable of delivering good FE figures, provided the driver extracts the maximum out of the vehicle. But then, to do this, most petrol/diesel heads on this forum are not likely to sit in a vehicle driven by a sedate driver.

Thanks, Melvyn
misquitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2011, 23:48   #60
Senior - BHPian

I agree with what some of you guys have put here. The Beat is definitely not a car for a long drive, atleast for someone over 6 feet tall. I am 6'3''. But then again, considering my height, I am pretty impressed with the amount of space inside. Many people ask me if I am able to fit in the Beat comfortably, but take them in and they are amazed

And also, it serves a good shopping car. When we go for grocery shopping, we are amused at the way the boot is filled with just the grocery bags. Brings a smile to our face no doubt. Thankfully it is just for city use
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote