Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 13th June 2012, 00:44   #196
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mitsubishi Cedia Sports- the Red Beast!

The trick is to buy certain parts from the open market (shock absorbers) and some from authorized stockists like Mars (spark plug leads) or from the A.S.S.(trim and body parts).

Try comparing the Cedias lower arm with that of a Civic, Corolla or even a Jetta you will gladly pay the 5K.

In Dilli there is no alternate except for the A.S.S. or some specialized shops which are good for spares related to suspension, brakes other general items etc. Apart from that it is a big mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Rear shocker price: Rs 10,000! Power steering hose: Rs. 14500. Lower arm: Rs. 5000+ (one side).

I would not recommend a Mitsubishi vehicle to anyone, just due to this.

I am glad that you are satisfied with Mars India.
I found their pricing to be too high. I wonder why you need to get parts in Mumbai when Delhi is much much cheaper.

No no change not unless it is genuinely required.

Stick with Osrams you will get them eventually.

There is no point in going with wider tyres. On other makes people go ooh aah as their cars have hardly any grip due to lack of enough downforce being generated when their vehicles are in motion. The chassis and body design of our vehicle generates enough downforce to keep the car planted. This is amply displayed on rumbly/patchy roads where the Cedia's steering is rock steady whereas in other vehicles the steering jumps around like a dry leaf does in wind. With wider tires their steerings gain some semblance of stability resulting in the accolades. I want to enhance the side profile and hence would like to upsize along the diameter while keeping the rolling circumference as close to the original value as possible so as not to foul the wheels as also to maintain the steering geometry and thereby retain the excellent steer-ability of our vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
Sure thing, will keep them in mind. Are you recommending a change of wires from stock could help?

I checked for the Osram Night Breakers at Milan, but they recommended going for better bulbs and a relay, didnt want to touch wiring under the hood, so took a pass.

There would be only a few alloys that would compare with the OZs, why not try tire upsize alone? Will that sort your concern? Almost all Cedia owners who upsized swear by the bigger size, Michelins in 205/60/15 and Yokos in 205/55/15.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 13:54   #197
BHPian

Good to know your car is performing well, man.
As far as spare parts go, they're just becoming more and more expensive. Even the brake pads have gone up to around 4.5k + labour.
Khoj sir, I've been able to find most things in Khan market, including ORVMs. Maybe you could give Khan market/Kashmere gate a shot when you need something.
sukrit7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 14:52   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
The trick is to buy certain parts from the open market (shock absorbers) and some from authorized stockists like Mars (spark plug leads) or from the A.S.S.(trim and body parts).
Well, Delhi has more options combined than Mumbai's main market Opera House (which has only Mars for Cedia spares. The guy knows that fact and doesn't entertain you much and quotes higher too).
I am born at brought up near Opera House, btw.
Maybe my experience has been like that.

But I agree with Sukrit7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
As far as spare parts go, they're just becoming more and more expensive. Even the brake pads have gone up to around 4.5k + labour.
Khoj sir, I've been able to find most things in Khan market, including ORVMs. Maybe you could give Khan market/Kashmere gate a shot when you need something.

Quote:
Try comparing the Cedias lower arm with that of a Civic, Corolla or even a Jetta you will gladly pay the 5K.
Is that fair comparison when you look at ex-showroom prices of these cars?
I think these are all 15Lac + cars.
Maybe we should compare Cedia with a Ford Fiesta classic or a Linea?
Fiesta SXi classic is 7.7 lacs ex-showroom (very close to Cedia's 7.99 lacs ex-showroom).
Ford A.S.S. prices from another thread:
1. Front shock absorber(2nos) : 4716Rs(labour: 860Rs)
2. Front link rod(2nos) : 2293Rs(labour: 280Rs)
3. Read shock absorber(2nos) : 2622Rs(labour: 717Rs)

Linea prices from 2010 for diesel version
FIAT Linea Price list for Diesel 1.3
Service Parts
4 Wiper Blade (Pair) 800.00
6 Timing Belt/ Chain 1595.00
8 Front Brake Pad (Set - 4) 2150.00
Mechanical Parts
1 AC Evaporator Coil 3700.00
2 Radiator Hose set 199.00
3 Front Strut/ Shock Absorber 1951.00
4 Front Brake Disc/ Drum 1115.00
5 Front Suspension Lower Arm (2) 1600.00
6 Clutch & Pressur Plate 6967.00
7 Clutch Release Bearing 425.00
Accident Repair Parts
1 Front Bumper 2500.00
2 Wheel rim (each) 2499.00
3 Front Fender 1951.00
4 Bonnet 5800.00
5 Radiator 5350.00
6 Front Door 5950.00
7 Boot Lid/ Tail gate 6000.00
8 Head Light Assy (each) 3900.00
9 Tail Light Assy (each) 2324.00
10 Front Wind Screen Glass 3300.00
11 Side Mirror(with casing) 1320.00

I am sorry to go off-topic.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 15:07   #199
Senior - BHPian

Save for the Jetta none of these is a 15L car and we all know that, the Jetta itself is way overpriced and that reflects in its numbers. I am comparing cars based on the engine size and wheelbase which indeed are the standard norms of comparison. As for the Cedia, I believe it is the end of the line and the price drop is to clear stocks before assembly stops altogether.

Quote:
Is that fair comparison when you look at ex-showroom prices of these cars?
I think these are all 15Lac + cars.
Old 16th June 2012, 02:21   #200
BHPian

Quote:
I want to enhance the side profile and hence would like to upsize along the diameter while keeping the rolling circumference as close to the original value as possible so as not to foul the wheels as also to maintain the steering geometry and thereby retain the excellent steer-ability of our vehicles.
This should help decide: Tire size calculator
mandheers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2012, 18:23   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
20k+ update only for the sake of the thread and love for driving around.

So now I have to start earlier, way earlier, around 8am and roads are clearer, traffic is all bleary eyed, but I have noticed a stark improvement in FE figures, which the last week was 11.9 kmpl on DTE and full tank basis came to slightly over 10 kmpl.
Good to know that the car is doing well sir

Quote:
There are times when I start toying with getting a new pair of shoes for the car or an air filter, or the long pending ICE upgrade but the I guess it will take some time before I can ably coax the Mrs on such expenses.
Damn, those RE88s look brand new even after 20k.. Get V550s, every one seems to be very happy with them. For the ICE, there is no ending .

Quote:
Had made a trip to Milan subway this last Sunday for a fresh set of wipers, and got Bosch (24”, 18”) for 450/-; the earlier Syndicates were wearing out. OE wipers set costs 2400/-.
Prices have sure gone off the roof 2400 for a set of wipers... For that matter, set of new fog lamps assembly and condenser costs 47k and 30k respectively from HM-Mitsubishi.

Quote:
This one is probably the best quality exhaust tip I have come across, and the best part is it has an open mouth and absolutely no unnecessary frills!
Looks nice and sturdy.

Quote:
I had recently shifted to Nitrogen in tires. They have a CE machine here at the Lotus BP pump. The machine sucks out all air and fills Nitrogen back, it also shows the %age, which was fluctuating between 99.4-99.8%. Car feels softer over bumps, slightly more planted and rolling resistance feels reduced too, pulls slightly easier in 1st too.
My car too is running on Nitrogen and I maintain 32psi. I'd say anything under 30 is low. Try maintain 30 or above. The car definitely feels lighter and softer.

Quote:
Parts cost of the Cedia were almost at par with the BMW is what I was told.
The latest increase in prices has taken the suspension overall cost to over 70k, and accident damage can burn more than a few holes in ones pocket.

Quote:
The noise in steering is some issue with the steering column, and the bouncy steering was maybe owing to some ‘ball’ joint arrangement which costs 10k per ball, and they are a pair!
There you go.

Quote:
Where is our man: GC?
Very tied up with some inevitable stuff, havent been able to get time out. Very sorry for not replying earlier.

Quote:
Almost all Cedia owners who upsized swear by the bigger size, Michelins in 205/60/15 and Yokos in 205/55/15.
Even 205/60/15 wont be slightest of problem. Any increase/decrease in overall diameter within 3% is perfectly fine.

Quote:
GC should be burning some rubber and cornering hard some place.
Well, I wish things were the same as you described above .

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 16th June 2012 at 18:24.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2012, 14:55   #202
BHPian

Here's some music for your ears, GC and everyone else:

Also posted here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...ml#post2811543 (Mumbai-Pune Mega Meet on 16th June 2012 @ Sunny da Dhaba)
mandheers is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 00:42   #203
Senior - BHPian

IS it just me or does it sound like a 2 stroke engine driving 2 wheels
Old 20th June 2012, 13:57   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Good to know that the car is doing well sir
Yes that's a welcome relief GC, and most of all you know that well!

Quote:
Damn, those RE88s look brand new even after 20k.. Get V550s, every one seems to be very happy with them. For the ICE, there is no ending .
The Bridgestones always hold up well, against anything. I had them on my Sierra and also have them on my wife's Accent. They just don't wear out man!

Quote:
My car too is running on Nitrogen and I maintain 32psi. I'd say anything under 30 is low. Try maintain 30 or above. The car definitely feels lighter and softer.
30 itself is bouncy with Nitrogen, somehow; so above 30 is out of question.

Quote:
There you go.
Ya man, exactly my response!

Quote:
Very tied up with some inevitable stuff, havent been able to get time out. Very sorry for not replying earlier.
We know, and understand, please take your time and let us know if we could help.

Quote:
Even 205/60/15 wont be slightest of problem. Any increase/decrease in overall diameter within 3% is perfectly fine.
That can wait, and I am not very comfortable with an upsize. All my driving is in city, and FE might suffer.

Quote:
Well, I wish things were the same as you described above .
They will be, for sure!

Quote:
IS it just me or does it sound like a 2 stroke engine driving 2 wheels
You hit it on the head sir, well almost! But it was fun and gave tough competition to 1self's Sonata, which had a growling FFE.

----------------------------------

Coming to the weekend meet at Lonavla, met Shekhar, and his screaming AutoMission Motorsport, Advance Driving School. Mumbai, India. Cedia.

He is training on rally circuits and has earlier worked with 2 Lancers, one of which he himself converted to Evo spec. (or was it both??)

Well, in short, he also repairs and readies his Cedia for rallies too.

I had a chat with and he also took Red out for a spin (and GC you should've been in the car to experience) and I had to belt-up.

He drives as if from another planet- and not in a bad way at all!

It was not needlessly aggressive like someone with a heavy foot might drive, but very calm, composed, assured and very brisk. I wont say 'fast' since that's only straight line stuff.

He pointed out the 'bushes' need to be checked.

The steering was light and just right, and he said his car's was so light that if you even reverse it out of parking your wrists would hurt.

He suggested Yoko A-Drives for the car, and also to keep size same as OE spec.

The fuel pump failing was a faulty part issue he's seen with quite a few Cedias and it was due to a faulty batch of imports maybe. He said once fixed, it will never crop up again.

Brakes issue he said (like GC) to have bled them way before, it is a common problem on circuits too owing to air trapped etc.

Knocking was owing to the earlier exhaust tip (silly me); and I showed him a pic of the first tip. He went on to tell me that the exhaust is most sensitive on the Cedia and even a slight change in diameter or length can impair everything. They had a tough time on his FFE fitting too.

Parts etc too he said you find aplenty and stick to sourcing from outside if costs are a issue.

He had a track event coming up the next morning and hence I couldn't chew his brains further but it was reassuring talking to him.

Basically, once a problem gets addressed on the Cedia, it usually never ever pops back up.

I will drop in at the AutoMission Motorsport, Advance Driving School. Mumbai, India. track some day soon.

----------------

That said, there has been another idea I have been toying with past few days since I got back from the meet, and met another tbhpian; abhayshanu; at the meet who has just recently picked up a Pete'd vRS and it's a Stage 2, 200bhp.

If you remember I had started this thread with scouting for a used Sokda vRS and then wifey said no etc and the story is here.

Now I am just asking an open ended question here: if I sell my Cedia; and God willing I find someone genuinely and only interested in a Cedia that's a year and a half and 20k old with 3 yrs of warranty- and look for a used vRS; yes.

It will cost be about 3-4 lacs for a '05-'06 vRS and will save me a big chunk of EMI (i pay about 20k per month).

Like I said, just toying, what do you guys have to say to that?
mandheers is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2012, 17:15   #205
Senior - BHPian

I would have said "look for two" but I am scared of Skoda's A.S.S. actually read that as their component quality & company's response thereof.

Quote:
Now I am just asking an open ended question here: if I sell my Cedia; and God willing I find someone genuinely and only interested in a Cedia that's a year and a half and 20k old with 3 yrs of warranty- and look for a used vRS; yes.

It will cost be about 3-4 lacs for a '05-'06 vRS and will save me a big chunk of EMI (i pay about 20k per month).

Last edited by khoj : 20th June 2012 at 17:18.
Old 20th June 2012, 19:03   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Save for the Jetta none of these is a 15L car and we all know that, the Jetta itself is way overpriced and that reflects in its numbers.
Well Civic V MT will be around 15 lacs on road in Pune with discounts included.

Quote:

Parts etc too he said you find aplenty and stick to sourcing from outside if costs are a issue.
Next time ask him "Where to find parts in Mumbai?". I hope he gives at least two options. This will help me for sure.

Quote:

Considering cost of spares, I think both the cars should have the same maintenance costs. Perhaps Octavia should be cheaper to maintain for regular parts, unless lot of things go wrong after you buy the car.

Skoda spares should be more easily available than Mitsubishi spares. There are many good options for servicing in Mumbai (one of them is recommended by GTO - Mr. Shanbaug). So I don't think you need to worry about A.S.S. horror stories, since you don't need them anyway.

Octavia is the only car that actually makes me turn around and look twice and was always my first choice. However I never managed to find a good one. (Though mind you, I was only interested in 1.9 TDI due to phenomenal mileage and low cost per KM).

But having said that, buying a 6-7 year old car means things will fail and you will have to bear with costs at regular intervals.
If I were you, I would set aside 1-1.5 lac towards 3 year maintenance after buying the car. That way, I won't be disappointed when those high costs come in.

Edit: Also remember that with these old cars, depreciation is around 40-50% when it comes to insurance claims. Hence in case of an accident, for metal parts you need to bear close to 50% of the spare part costs.
This can change the equation in favour of buying a new / less than 3 year old car where the depreciation is between zero and say 30%.

Last edited by S_U_N : 20th June 2012 at 19:09.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 17:07   #207
BHPian

Hi, about the wiper set I had picked up around 10th June.

The passenger side 18" already wipes sparingly, with its outer tip off the glass for major part of sweep and the driver side 24" leaves lines.

Had Syndicates earlier, they performed better.

Got 3 questions, which I have also posted on the Bosch wiper thread:

1. What could be the reason?

2. Should I contact Bosch service or the seller?

3. Should I use a size smaller on passenger side?

Anyone tried Bosch Aerotwins? I had them on the Accent, and as much as they enhance the look etc, they are seriously overrated on performance, IMO.
mandheers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2012, 03:22   #208
Senior - BHPian

Apart from the issues you also have the wrong size wipers. The larger one should be 21" and not 24. Observe these when at rest maybe the extra 3" is not enabling the 18" (correct size for passenger side) to mount/work properly.

Contact the seller too small an issue for the company to even take note of what to talk about responding to you.

Last edited by khoj : 30th June 2012 at 03:24.
Old 6th August 2012, 22:15   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Apart from the issues you also have the wrong size wipers. The larger one should be 21" and not 24.
Sorry, just came across this post. I think the sizes are actually 24 and 18. I remember measuring them on my car and posting this in GC's thread last year. Also find GC's response.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2380160

BTW, Mandheers was the wiper problem sorted out?
CBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 02:51   #210
Senior - BHPian

Nope 24" & 18" are incorrect, the correct sizes are 21" & 19" see attachment
wiperblade_brochure.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
Sorry, just came across this post. I think the sizes are actually 24 and 18. I remember measuring them on my car and posting this in GC's thread last year.