Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 4th February 2013, 13:41   #226
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mitsubishi Cedia Sports- the Red Beast!

Hey Mandheer,
Good to hear from you after a long silence.

Sad to know about the damage though.

I don't know about the problems, but when I checked my service records, I could not find mention of air filter being replaced even once in last 6 years. I am anxious to know why.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 14:02   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Hey Mandheer,
Good to hear from you after a long silence.

Sad to know about the damage though.

I don't know about the problems, but when I checked my service records, I could not find mention of air filter being replaced even once in last 6 years. I am anxious to know why.
Hi S_U_N, I get the Air Filter changed every 10k service. It costs about 300 INR and is worth it. The Aquest guys never change it on their own and I have always insisted on replacing every service, irrespective of condition.

They forgot the last time in August and later had it delivered, and they forgot again- I mention it religiously every time my car goes for service.

You should conduct a DIY, if you know where the filter is- try taking it out to asses the condition and pick one from Aquest.

I get mine air-cleaned in every wash (at the local petrol pump), once a month, which is roughly about 1k kms too.
mandheers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 16:26   #228
Senior - BHPian

Hey Mandheers, greetings to you too.

Coincidentally, I got the skirting on my Blue Streak replaced last week. It costs 26000/- odd, plus clips which are like 200+ a pop & these are consumed by the dozen. The total bill was 33000/-odd. I have a 100% depreciation policy complete with NCB protector, so insurance covered everything save for 2K+ to my account.

The thing is in the Cedia the skirting is mounted on to the bumper with nearly two dozen clips and zero screws. In almost all of the other cars these two are mated using very few clips and more screws. Outside guys have no clue and will end up damaging the clips 100% and if you are unlucky they will damage the clip mounting holes on the bumper too. Sure there is a jugaad to repair all of these and remount the same but the fitting will never be original and you will have the infamous screws in the wheel well.

If you have 100% dep insurance then make use of the same. If not then try and get hold of someone who understands this clip business and is ready to take each and every one of them out patiently. Then all you will need is to buy new clips once the skirting itself is ready for a remount. Do note if you try a repair outside and then go for claim it will never be passed, so tread cautiously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
Hello everyone, belated greetings of the new year!

Pic attached below, getting damage tended to this coming weekend. Will get a bumper repair guy outside to do it since only the skirting is broken.

Cheers!
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 17:48   #229
Senior - BHPian

@Khoj:

Actually I need a few of these clips. Someone mentioned that they are standard and I should be able to get it outside market for very cheap (e.g. the clips from Swift will work with the bumper).
Since you have the Swift, can you confirm?
Old 4th February 2013, 17:59   #230
Senior - BHPian

Arrey bhai I sent the car to Excel for repairs did not do it myself

Have no idea, regarding the Swift's clips too. However one thing I know that the Swift's bumper jumps out of it's slot every time it gets hit. So even if the size turns out to be the same, I am sure the quality would be very different.

Quote:
@Khoj:

Actually I need a few of these clips. Someone mentioned that they are standard and I should be able to get it outside market for very cheap (e.g. the clips from Swift will work with the bumper).
Old 10th February 2013, 18:37   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quick update here on RED, clocked 30k and got the 40k periodic service done.
What all was done on 40k service, clutch/brake oil, spark plugs, etc..What about brake pads, are they still lasting and how are the brakes?

Quote:
getting damage tended to this coming weekend. Will get a bumper repair guy outside to do it since only the skirting is broken.
Before getting the bumper/skirting painted. ask the person to take off the bumper and take off the skirting (there are nearly 15-20) clip on which the bolts sit and is fixed to bumper. these clips would have been broken. Either ask the person to get 3m double tape and apply across the bumper and then rest the skirting and also apply fevi quick to the broken clips and tighten the bolts to the skirting OR get a clear silicon tube and ask the bumper guy to get skirting and bumper sealed (will require a applying gun, which can be found at any auto glass shop). This will do a proper fix. Then get the bumper painted.

Quote:
There are times when I ride alongside a VW, Skoda, Toyota or a Honda and feel these guys cant make that turn or maybe just smile when some over enthusiastic driver races ahead in an Optra or SX4. But somewhere in my mind I am thinking- there is no way I would've been driving any other car.

Quote:
Plan to get another year's extended warranty for the 4th year, that's if they allow, do let me know if anyone has.
Dont think they have 4th year warranty. Its only 2+1 (extended) years or 60k kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Coincidentally, I got the skirting on my Blue Streak replaced last week. It costs 26000/- odd, plus clips which are like 200+ a pop & these are consumed by the dozen. The total bill was 33000/-odd. I have a 100% depreciation policy complete with NCB protector, so insurance covered everything save for 2K+ to my account.
0% dep is necessary for a car like cedia. Accident jobs (even small) can burn a hole in your pocket.

Quote:
Outside guys have no clue and will end up damaging the clips 100% and if you are unlucky they will damage the clip mounting holes on the bumper too.
Its not that difficult. Sure it requires some labour but it can be fixed. Since, Mandheers doesnt have 0% dep, spending nearly 15k for bumper, skirting and losing 3-5k no claim is not worth, if the same can be fixed within 3-4k at max.

Quote:
@Khoj:

They are talking about the skirting screws. They different from the clips you need for under engine plastic shield and fender lining clips, which you can source from swift.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 10th February 2013 at 18:41.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 10:44   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post

They are talking about the skirting screws. They different from the clips you need for under engine plastic shield and fender lining clips, which you can source from swift.
I will get a photograph of the clip that I need. We had to remove the bumper 4-5 times for the projector retrofit. In that process the clips got damaged.

I looked at a Swift bumper from inside and I think the clips are identical.

Meanwhile, does anyone have idea about labour charged for clutch plate + pressure plate + bearing change.

When I made an inquiry, I was told labour is around 1050 + 1050 + 1000 (all approx. figures - I can not remember exact numbers).
Why do they charge separately for the three items?

The parts will come to Rs. 9000 (approx.). I believe this is without tax.

So total will come around Rs. 15000 or so.
I can get parts at approx same cost from outside.
Does A.S.S. give warranty on any of these parts if I purchase from them?
Old 21st February 2013, 17:01   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Mandheers, greetings to you too.

The thing is in the Cedia the skirting is mounted on to the bumper with nearly two dozen clips and zero screws. In almost all of the other cars these two are mated using very few clips and more screws. Outside guys have no clue and will end up damaging the clips 100% and if you are unlucky they will damage the clip mounting holes on the bumper too. Sure there is a jugaad to repair all of these and remount the same but the fitting will never be original and you will have the infamous screws in the wheel well.

If you have 100% dep insurance then make use of the same. If not then try and get hold of someone who understands this clip business and is ready to take each and every one of them out patiently. Then all you will need is to buy new clips once the skirting itself is ready for a remount. Do note if you try a repair outside and then go for claim it will never be passed, so tread cautiously.
Thanks a lot sir, had typed in a longish reply last week itself but lost the connectivity and the text.

Well oh!

I had Zero Dep until Jan, dont anymore.

Will verify with the bumper guy, and if it entails taking off the entire bumper then no sir, I will wait it out till I renew with Zero Dep again in December.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
What all was done on 40k service, clutch/brake oil, spark plugs, etc..What about brake pads, are they still lasting and how are the brakes?

Before getting the bumper/skirting painted. ask the person to take off the bumper and take off the skirting (there are nearly 15-20) clip on which the bolts sit and is fixed to bumper. these clips would have been broken. Either ask the person to get 3m double tape and apply across the bumper and then rest the skirting and also apply fevi quick to the broken clips and tighten the bolts to the skirting OR get a clear silicon tube and ask the bumper guy to get skirting and bumper sealed (will require a applying gun, which can be found at any auto glass shop). This will do a proper fix. Then get the bumper painted.

Dont think they have 4th year warranty. Its only 2+1 (extended) years or 60k kms.

0% dep is necessary for a car like cedia. Accident jobs (even small) can burn a hole in your pocket.

Its not that difficult. Sure it requires some labour but it can be fixed. Since, Mandheers doesnt have 0% dep, spending nearly 15k for bumper, skirting and losing 3-5k no claim is not worth, if the same can be fixed within 3-4k at max.

Hi GC, they did the usual oil change and checked all plugs, belts, brakes are good, bushing etc. nothing major.

Got the AC cabin filter retrofitted, and feel the car is a bit quieter or maybe the AC comes on with a slight more, how do I define the feeling- 'snug' maybe?

The Zero Dep was 10k more on HDFC Ergo, so I avoided and here we are today.

It is just the skirting and not the bumper that's damaged so maybe I can live without looking at it every now and then, but it hurts.

Will check this Saturday, since the guy at Four Bungalows also said it's a mere 3-4 hrs job.
Old 24th February 2013, 14:28   #234
BHPian

Quick update for the weekend: bumper repaired!

Stopped by the repair guy at 'Chaar Bungla', he said it will entail taking off the bumper and will need to leave the car for the day, well to which I said no and to just try putting it together as it is.

And that's what he arranged, here's a story in pics.

The damage originally:
Mitsubishi Cedia Sports- the Red Beast!-img2013012700010.jpg

Another angle:
Mitsubishi Cedia Sports- the Red Beast!-img2013012700011.jpg

Here's the patch work done, front and underneath too for better hold:
Mitsubishi Cedia Sports- the Red Beast!-img2013022300012.jpg

The putty bit:
Mitsubishi Cedia Sports- the Red Beast!-img2013022300014.jpg

All dried up and scraped level:
Mitsubishi Cedia Sports- the Red Beast!-img2013022300015.jpg

Paint matched, sprayed and good as new in under 2 hours:
Mitsubishi Cedia Sports- the Red Beast!-img2013022300016.jpg

The good chap he was, he threw in the spoiler as add-on and there was a small nick on front left of bumper; courtesy the Aquest pick-up and drop; which was also done up as add-on.

Here's the spoiler where the cracker burn was:
Mitsubishi Cedia Sports- the Red Beast!-img2013022300013.jpg

Back in form again:
Mitsubishi Cedia Sports- the Red Beast!-img2013022300017.jpg

Overall about 2 hours and 30 odd minutes and set me back by 1200 bucks.

Patch work guy 200, Paint job 1000 for 3 spots and I can get the polish+finish done any time later, free of cost.

The paint matches, is a bit matte-ish for lack of polish, and since it was done in the open it's a bit grainy due to dust etc but very negligible.

All in all very much worth the time and money for the result.
mandheers is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2013, 15:24   #235
Senior - BHPian

That's neatly done. Good to see the car in fine nick and you in a great mood (courtesy of the emoticon).
Old 14th March 2013, 09:48   #236
BHPian

Ok, so with a heavy heart I announce a bit of a mishap.
Nobody was hurt except Red- the front bumper, mid to left, is a goner!
Happened early last week, and without going into the silly gory details, sent it to Aquest since the damage was irreparable by my local chap.
Have filed a claim with HDFC Ergo, these guys don't have cashless either so part payment also done.
Estimate so far looks like this:
Bumper - 34k
Skirting - 17k
Any extra will be for labour, paint and consumables, no clue what the claim would pay.
Starting from the registration plate assembly to the left corner and fog light assembly is all done in.
The car was delivered back since parts are o order and will take about 10-12 days, asked them to fit and re-torque the bumper for now.
Damn I miss renewing the Zero-Dep!
Old 14th March 2013, 12:20   #237
Senior - BHPian

^Sad to hear that.
Depreciation will lighten your purse - for both parts and painting/ denting - if that is done.
If you can get part numbers, I can check with a Pune supplier on what rates he could offer for the parts.
But ofcourse, we have to see what makes more sense both financially and in terms of time.
Old 14th March 2013, 20:48   #238
Senior - BHPian

D@#$, sorry to hear about this Mandheers. I am getting extremely high quotes for 0 dep as my car is 3+ years old and was thinking of getting a plain comprehensive policy but after reading about this unfortunate development have decided to pay up the extra premium.

Don't want to look like I am nit picking but the prices should be 17 for bumper and the higher amount for skirting etc. BTW is the fog assembly and its mounting fine or is it otherwise?

Quote:
Ok, so with a heavy heart I announce a bit of a mishap.
Nobody was hurt except Red- the front bumper, mid to left, is a goner!

Estimate so far looks like this:
Bumper - 34k
Skirting - 17k
Any extra will be for labour, paint and consumables, no clue what the claim would pay.

Damn I miss renewing the Zero-Dep!

BTW now Royal Sundaram, Bharti Axa provide 0 depreciation for vehicles up to 5 years from the date of registration and Relaince and Bajaj Allianz up to 4 years.

Premium from all of them is in the range of 33-36K, however I am clueless regarding their service quality. Any pointers? Guys
Old 14th March 2013, 21:38   #239
Senior - BHPian

^I have experience with Bajaj and Tata.
Bajaj are more professional - though never had a claim through them.
Tata AIG are a disorganized lot - I have seen employees fighting with each other in their office while I was there to pay some money.
The claim process is also not that smooth as I had expected.

The sad part is Bajaj charges higher premium if you continue with them the next year. But if you go in as a new customer, the rates are much lower. So, they do this just to attract new customers - and don't care about retaining the old ones.

Tata is of course cheaper and seem to have some 'possibly' unique features such as repair instead of replacement will not affect NCB and some other feature which I cannot remember.

It is good to hear about the 5 year zero dep option -someone mentioned about this last month, but I was not sure. From April 2012, the rates have gone up and plus there is depreciation on painting -denting as well. So, that is a double whammy.
Old 15th March 2013, 10:30   #240
BHPian

Quote:
D@#$, sorry to hear about this Mandheers. I am getting extremely high quotes for 0 dep as my car is 3+ years old and was thinking of getting a plain comprehensive policy but after reading about this unfortunate development have decided to pay up the extra premium.

Don't want to look like I am nit picking but the prices should be 17 for bumper and the higher amount for skirting etc. BTW is the fog assembly and its mounting fine or is it otherwise?
No sir, I just cross checked, 34 for Bumper assembly and 17 for front skirting only.
My skirting is actually only broken again from where I had got it repaired, and just a few clips off- so maybe, maybe I could get it repaired from outside again, will save me some dough.
Fitting will get done from Aquest- but that will entail me taking it off at Aquest, taking it to local guy, getting it stuck and getting it back to Aquest for fitting.

Quote:
BTW now Royal Sundaram, Bharti Axa provide 0 depreciation for vehicles up to 5 years from the date of registration and Relaince and Bajaj Allianz up to 4 years.

Premium from all of them is in the range of 33-36K, however I am clueless regarding their service quality. Any pointers? Guys
Zero Dep is well worth it, whatever be the cost, IMHO.

Last edited by mandheers : 15th March 2013 at 10:31.