Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 30th October 2013, 17:55   #121
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Maruti A-Star Automatic : Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpioman View Post
Sorry for bumping up an old thread. My wife got an A Star AT in March this year and on multiple tank full checks we have noticed it gives us only around 8 KM/LT. Not sure if it is because she has just started driving and does not cross 50 KMPH which is probably keeping the car in a lower gear. I did bring it up on the second service and was told to take it on a long drive and check it before they do anything.

Has anyone else had an issue like this with the A* and know what the problem could be.

Tyre pressure checked and always at 32 PSI ( Nitrogen ).
I may sound silly - but one thing you may check (as your wife is a newbie driver) is that you are mistakenly not driving in '3' mode instead of 'D' mode. 'D' engages all 4 gears whereas '3' limits the transmission to 3rd gear only. Higher speeds in 3rd gear-> higher rpm-> greater fuel consumption.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2013, 18:02   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

blackasta has a valid point. Given the design of the AT-gear gate in the A-Star, it is very easy to end up in 3 instead of D. Even a minor unintentional nudge of your hand can move the gear to 3. I so hate the gate in the A-Star - wish it were a straight gate like in other ATs like the Honda City.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2013, 18:27   #123
BHPian

Thanks Blackasta. Very sure she is not driving it in D-3. She is the dedicated driver on the weekends as well and I sit in the passenger seat and am very sure it is in D. I used the car for the first 1K when it was purchased and averaged around 8 kmpl. At the first service I was told it will increase gradually but no difference at all till now.
Scorpioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2013, 00:53   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Blackasta. Very sure she is not driving it in D-3. She is the dedicated driver on the weekends as well and I sit in the passenger seat and am very sure it is in D. I used the car for the first 1K when it was purchased and averaged around 8 kmpl. At the first service I was told it will increase gradually but no difference at all till now.
Ok moving on - are you sure you are not being duped while filling up your tank? Also - are you using the autocut-to-autocut method or tankful-to-tankful method of measuring FE? are you sure no one is siphoning off petrol silently in the parking?
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2013, 22:10   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post

Ok moving on - are you sure you are not being duped while filling up your tank? Also - are you using the autocut-to-autocut method or tankful-to-tankful method of measuring FE? are you sure no one is siphoning off petrol silently in the parking?
I use the autocut to autocut method. Tankful to tankful may be more accurate given that the nozzle size would be different at different pumps but I have filled at the same bunk 90% of the time for the last 13 years. I dont think it the guys at the bunk are duping me either as I fill my other drive there as well and no problem. Am driving to HYD yomorrow and will check what I get on the highway as well. Hopefully it wont be as bad as what I am getting now.
Old 11th November 2013, 22:53   #126
BHPian

Quote:
That's pretty low. What is the route you take daily? AC reduces the fuel efficiency drastically on the astar. Do you make frequent short trips? I've seen the mileage go down by around 1.5-2 kmpl during the period of frequent short runs.

My vehicle has clocked 2000kms, I keep psi at 34-35 and that could be the reason for decent mileage between 11.5-13 kmpl.

Take her on the highway for some speed run, probably the engine may need some opening up. You could also push down to D2 at speed between 50-60 occasionally to get the engine revved up.

Finally, it is very easy to get duped at petrol bunks in Bangalore by filling in bad/low quality fuel.
Mr_Bean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 00:43   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post

That's pretty low. What is the route you take daily? AC reduces the fuel efficiency drastically on the astar. Do you make frequent short trips? I've seen the mileage go down by around 1.5-2 kmpl during the period of frequent short runs.

My vehicle has clocked 2000kms, I keep psi at 34-35 and that could be the reason for decent mileage between 11.5-13 kmpl.

Take her on the highway for some speed run, probably the engine may need some opening up. You could also push down to D2 at speed between 50-60 occasionally to get the engine revved up.

Finally, it is very easy to get duped at petrol bunks in Bangalore by filling in bad/low quality fuel.
I just did a Bangalore Hyderabad trip, 600km one way and on average got around 13kmpl with a/c on 90% of the time. That is way better than what I get in yhe city but is again low for the highway. The roads were excellent right through so I did 90/100kmph with a stop every 150 km yo let the engine rest as I did not want to push it. In city my wife uses it from koramangala to bg road in heavy traffic, 8 km one way. Still feel that is really low. I kmow a guy who does the same run in an accord automatic and gets around 7 :(. As far as fuel goes am pretty sure I am not geting duped. I fill up all 3 cars in the same bunk and been going there for the last 15 odd years. Sending it to the service center on saturday for a milage check and hopefully they are able to sort it out.
Old 13th November 2013, 17:24   #128
BHPian

Quote:
I just did a Bangalore Hyderabad trip, 600km one way and on average got around 13kmpl with a/c on 90% of the time. That is way better than what I get in yhe city but is again low for the highway. The roads were excellent right through so I did 90/100kmph with a stop every 150 km yo let the engine rest as I did not want to push it. In city my wife uses it from koramangala to bg road in heavy traffic, 8 km one way. Still feel that is really low. I kmow a guy who does the same run in an accord automatic and gets around 7 :(. As far as fuel goes am pretty sure I am not geting duped. I fill up all 3 cars in the same bunk and been going there for the last 15 odd years. Sending it to the service center on saturday for a milage check and hopefully they are able to sort it out.
I suggest that you get your car checked at a MASS. The MASS near my place seems to be very very competent and good otherwise, and they would come with you to check your mileage. Also get your air filter cleaned etc.

You should definitely be getting more mileage than what you are getting now. 13kmpl is very very low on highways.

Last edited by sumannandy : 13th November 2013 at 17:26.
sumannandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 18:59   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
I suggest that you get your car checked at a MASS. The MASS near my place seems to be very very competent and good otherwise, and they would come with you to check your mileage. Also get your air filter cleaned etc.

You should definitely be getting more mileage than what you are getting now. 13kmpl is very very low on highways.
Can you give me the name of the MASS near your place. I will give them a call and set up a milage test for this weekend.
Old 13th November 2013, 19:29   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Can you give me the name of the MASS near your place. I will give them a call and set up a milage test for this weekend.
Its Mandovi Motors near Hennur Cross. Please contact Suresh. I am sending you a PM with contact details.

If you like, I could accompany you when you are going there.

Can't find the option to send PM. Contact me at 9036062426 and I would let you know the details.

Last edited by sumannandy : 13th November 2013 at 19:31.
sumannandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 20:02   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Its Mandovi Motors near Hennur Cross. Please contact Suresh. I am sending you a PM with contact details.

If you like, I could accompany you when you are going there.

Can't find the option to send PM. Contact me at 9036062426 and I would let you know the details.
Thanks Suman. I will give you a call when I am heading that side. I don't think you can PM yet as I have 2 more posts to go to be able to use PM.
Old 14th November 2013, 12:38   #132
BHPian

Few things I have been observing with the astar auto:

1.) Morning when I cold start the engine, the engine does not always start in the first crank. The 3-pot engine sends in huge vibration into the cabin & I can hear some kat-kat sound too . Is this an inherent behaviour with astar engines?

2.) When I slow down for bad roads (potholes not deep), the car crash over each potholes. When we drive over them at speeds above 50, everything is absorbed by the suspension.
Mr_Bean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2013, 14:24   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^Don't know about item# 2 above since I really slow down for bad roads (in all cars).

As far as item# 1 goes, I don't have any cranking issues, but the vibration is something that stood out the 1st time I drove the car and IIRC I mentioned this in my LTR too - on starting, it almost sounds/feels like a diesel. Possibly due to being 3-cylinder. After using the car for 2+ years now, I no longer notice this (got used), but I am sure it is still there.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 07:27   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Few things I have been observing with the astar auto:

1.) Morning when I cold start the engine, the engine does not always start in the first crank. The 3-pot engine sends in huge vibration into the cabin & I can hear some kat-kat sound too . Is this an inherent behaviour with astar engines?

2.) When I slow down for bad roads (potholes not deep), the car crash over each potholes. When we drive over them at speeds above 50, everything is absorbed by the suspension.
Regarding the two points mentioned:

1). It happens to my A-Star Auto as well, especially during cold mornings. The issue is not as severe during warm days. I guess this is an inherent part of a 3-cylinder motor (reminds me of the old 800). I guess we need to ask wagonR/Alto K10 owners who share the same engines, if they face the same issues. The small kat-kat sound is at low revs/part throttle for me. I asked the Maruti Service Guys, who were all 'it's normal saar', so I ignore it.

2). The car does not ride too well for me whether slow or fast potholes. I do not drive over potholes over 50 kmph, as I am too scared to damaging the tyres and suspension. The A-Star never had great ride quality in my estimation, but perhaps changing the tyres might help a bit (I upgraded to Michelin XM2's and the crashiness definitely reduced).
avi550m is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 10:40   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
^^^Don't know about item# 2 above since I really slow down for bad roads (in all cars).

As far as item# 1 goes, I don't have any cranking issues, but the vibration is something that stood out the 1st time I drove the car and IIRC I mentioned this in my LTR too - on starting, it almost sounds/feels like a diesel. Possibly due to being 3-cylinder. After using the car for 2+ years now, I no longer notice this (got used), but I am sure it is still there.
1. The vibration has greatly reduced after I switched to Synthetic Engine Oil at my first oil change.
2. I have noticed that ride quality is better at higher speeds. I run on stock tyres, I think changing tyres would give you a (slightly) better ride quality.
jinojohnt is offline   Reply With Quote