Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2011, 12:21   #166
BHPian

Smile Re: Toyota Etios V - Initial Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrade View Post
Etios has great pick up and torque. If you want to enjoy the pick up/power, forget mileage. If you drive this car like how you would have driven your previous car (upshifting gear at 1800-2000 rpm), your mileage will be around 10. But if you are willing to change your driving style by leveraging the torque and upshift early at 1500 rpm, your mileage will be around 12 (or 20% more than what you get in the previous style) in city.
+1 to that. Etios does have a lot of torque at the bottom end. So, you can afford to shift early to get good mileage.
But, the problem is once you get used to that high torque, you feel like accelerating more rather than think about mileage.
amalji is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote

Old 28th September 2011, 13:24   #167
BHPian

Default Re: Toyota Etios V - Initial Ownership Experience

Quote:
I was like you during my initial days complaining about my mileage. Then I decided to change my driving style drastically. Etios has great pick up and torque. If you want to enjoy the pick up/power, forget mileage. If you drive this car like how you would have driven your previous car (upshifting gear at 1800-2000 rpm), your mileage will be around 10. But if you are willing to change your driving style by leveraging the torque and upshift early at 1500 rpm, your mileage will be around 12 (or 20% more than what you get in the previous style) in city. I am still not happy about that. But at least now there is a workaround to cut the fuel expense.
A big thanks for sharing these very useful observations on gear shifts. It is true that I enjoy the torque / pick up of Etios and handle Etios much like my previous car. A drastic change in my driving style could help (gear change at lower RPMs as you suggest) and I am going to try that from now on. Will keep you posted on results. I like driving at 120 kmph or more in highways. I guess this should also come down to 80 to 100 kmph range for better mileage. I wont like it but would force myself to do it because of current fuel prices.
amateurpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 14:33   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
+1 to that. Etios does have a lot of torque at the bottom end. So, you can afford to shift early to get good mileage.
But, the problem is once you get used to that high torque, you feel like accelerating more rather than think about mileage.

The low end torque is in-fact very good and the engine is not rev-happy. It wants you to upshift very soon. Almost always I end up driving in 3rd gear at 20+, reach 4th by 25/30+ and 5th by 45+. Have hardly experienced any stall inspite of being in these gears at these speeds. I know for sure that not many cars provide this kinda torque. Does this have any impact on the gears/clutch pads in the long run ?

Also when cruising at 80+, I feel the need for a 6th gear. Does anyone else have the same experience?
andromeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 15:33   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda View Post

The low end torque is in-fact very good and the engine is not rev-happy. It wants you to upshift very soon. Almost always I end up driving in 3rd gear at 20+, reach 4th by 25/30+ and 5th by 45+. Have hardly experienced any stall inspite of being in these gears at these speeds. I know for sure that not many cars provide this kinda torque.
Yes, this low-end torque makes driving the car effortless. No need even to revv hard!

Quote:
Does this have any impact on the gears/clutch pads in the long run ?
My question really!

Quote:
Also when cruising at 80+, I feel the need for a 6th gear. Does anyone else have the same experience?
This has been discussed in another thread (official test drive of Etios P). Yes, the 5th gear is a little short, and the need for 6th gear is indeed felt.
RadiantKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 22:11   #170
BHPian

Default 9500 km update - Tyre side wall cut & 2nd service

Here is my update after a long gap.

Vehicle is going smooth without any major issues. Some observations/experiences:

- Wiper return action makes marks (wiper jumps leaving marks)
- One puncture with 1 inch nail
- The wide panel gaps result in car wash water entering the gaps and leaving hard water marks in the panel gap areas

I went to Wayanad and during my return had to go down from the road to the shoulder of the road and get back at 60 kmph speed. Side wall of the FL tyre got cut and had to replace the tyre in the middle of forest. I put a tube inside and made the tyre as spare and using the spare for the FL wheels. GoodYear tyres are crap. I have requested for warranty claim. I don't have much hope. But lets see what they say.

I did my 2nd service at Ravindu, Old Madras Road. Following were the complaints:

1. Rattle noise from passenger airbag area
2. Rattle from driver side door
3. Wiper return action not smooth
4. Mileage at "normal style" driving

After the service, issue 1 is almost resolved. Issue 2 still exists. They told they had adjusted the wiper for #3. For #4, they told they had programmed the ECU again. I need to wait for the next refill and mileage check to know if anything has changed due to this.

My bill was Rs. 1095. I will be doing wheel alignment and balancing outside. Overall, the experience was average. I didn't get a feeling of interacting with people who knows car well or passionate about fixing your problems.
Upgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 19:46   #171
BHPian

Smile Re: 9500 km update - Tyre side wall cut & 2nd service

Quote:
My bill was Rs. 1095.
How much did the oil change cost you individually?
And did they give you the synthetic oil option? If so, how much extra did they quote ?

Quote:
Overall, the experience was average. I didn't get a feeling of interacting with people who knows car well or passionate about fixing your problems.
Could you mention the specific dealer that gave you 'average' experience. It will help out future customers to try out another service center in your area when they give the car for service.
amalji is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 11:47   #172
BHPian

Default Re: 9500 km update - Tyre side wall cut & 2nd service

Quote:
How much did the oil change cost you individually?
And did they give you the synthetic oil option? If so, how much extra did they quote ?
3 liters of oil at 232.50 plus tax. Total came to 795. He didn't ask me about synthetic oil and I too didn't think about it.

Quote:
Could you mention the specific dealer that gave you 'average' experience. It will help out future customers to try out another service center in your area when they give the car for service.
Ravindu, KR Puram (Old Madras Road). They told me they would get back to in 2 days on my Tyre warranty claim. It has been 10 days. I am behind them to know the outcome of my claim even though I don't have much hope.
Old 20th December 2011, 21:58   #173
BHPian

Hi Upgrade. Bit sad that some niggling issues have come so early. Hope these are resolved soon. What is the mileage you get at normal driving style? Nowadays, I get around 11 kmpl in city with normal driving style (not upshifting early). Anything above 10 is acceptable to me since I was getting 9 initially. Have not tried your tip on early upshifting. Should try it sooner as a mileage of 13+ would be welcome anyday.

Quote:

I did my 2nd service at Ravindu, Old Madras Road. Following were the complaints:

1. Rattle noise from passenger airbag area
2. Rattle from driver side door
3. Wiper return action not smooth
4. Mileage at "normal style" driving
amateurpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 22:21   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurpro View Post
Hi Upgrade. Bit sad that some niggling issues have come so early. Hope these are resolved soon. What is the mileage you get at normal driving style? Nowadays, I get around 11 kmpl in city with normal driving style (not upshifting early). Anything above 10 is acceptable to me since I was getting 9 initially. Have not tried your tip on early upshifting. Should try it sooner as a mileage of 13+ would be welcome anyday.
I am yet to get back to "normal" driving style after changing to conservative driving style. I am not using AC also due to the cold weather in Bangalore. But my guess is it should be little less than 11 with always AC on. With AC off and conservative driving it is 12.5 kmpl now.

As expected, my tyre warranty claim was rejected by Good Year. I should plan to change my tyres next year when the budget permits.
Old 17th January 2012, 19:19   #175
BHPian

Default 10,000 km and recall service update

I took the car for hose replacement to Ravindu, Old Madras Road last week. The car was serviced a month ago there and they didn't fix the door rattle issue at that time. They took care of that too this time and for the first time since purchase a year ago, the car doesn't have rattles. Got a mileage of 13 kmpl post service (sedate, no AC).

I also renewed my insurance. It costed 14,000 for zero depreciation policy.
Old 18th January 2012, 08:16   #176
BHPian

Smile Re: 10,000 km and recall service update

Quote:
I also renewed my insurance. It costed 14,000 for zero depreciation policy.
By how much did it come down ?
How much had you paid for your first year ?
I guess, you also got the no-claim bonus.
amalji is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2012, 15:24   #177
BHPian

Default Re: 10,000 km and recall service update

Quote:
By how much did it come down ?
How much had you paid for your first year ?
I guess, you also got the no-claim bonus.
It was around 17,500 last year. So, It came down by 3,500. I realized little late that I didn't bargain properly this time. I gave a cheque for premium 10 % less than the receipt whereas it is only 3% this time.
Yes, NCB after a long time.
Upgrade is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 10:45   #178
BHPian

Quote:
They took care of that too this time and for the first time since purchase a year ago, the car doesn't have rattles. Got a mileage of 13 kmpl post service (sedate, no AC).
Upgrade, how is the door rattle since the service? What exactly did they do to solve this problem. One of my friend's Etios is also having the same problem with his rear right door.
Regards
Varun
powertrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 15:17   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
Upgrade, how is the door rattle since the service? What exactly did they do to solve this problem. One of my friend's Etios is also having the same problem with his rear right door.
Regards
Varun
I think the noise was coming from the door locking mechanism. Post fixing, the door closing has become hard and I need to spend extra force to close the door similar to my previous Santro. But I guess it will become ok after some usage of the door.
Old 14th March 2012, 21:34   #180
BHPian

Default 11000+ update - LORVM replacement

The car is going smooth without any major issues. It met with a minor accident when a bus hit the left side ORVM in a slow moving traffic. The plastic arm holding the mirror broke. The entire assembly except the cover had to be replaced. Cost: 1119/- Had the cover been broken, it would have touched 2,500 to 3000/- due to the paint job.

Was manging with cellotape for 10 days:
Toyota Etios V - Initial Ownership Experience-img_20120302_150335.jpg

The broken one that was replaced:
Toyota Etios V - Initial Ownership Experience-img_20120310_113453.jpg