Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2011, 21:46   #106
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 76
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: Mileage Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Congrats on the Etios and nice to see your ownership report.



There is no set mileage when the FE will stabilize. It will stabilze after you complete the running in period (1000kms) and also once the oil is replaced for the first time is when you can actually start seeing the correct FE figures.
Oil change is only after 10,000 km as per Toyota. I am hoping that FE would stabilize before that. I heard people telling FE improving till as high as 10,000 km. If I could hit 13 kmpl, I will be pleased. My previous Santro was giving 13 kmpl in the same stretch. Since ARAI figures are almost similar for Santro and Etios, I believe my hope would come true.
Upgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 18:38   #107
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 76
Thanked: 19 Times
Default 3,000 KM update

I did 3,000 km today after a long trip to Coimbatore. Here are the updates on car's performance and other things.

+ Car has become more silent. Noise level is much better compared to the time of delivery: I am relieved
+ Handling is excellent. Today I drove through some state highways full of curves and I could see how beautifully Etios handles the curves
+ Brakes are good and you don't feel like putting a speed limit to yourselves due to the fear of brake performance
+ AC is fine considering the fact that it has huge cabin space and very large glass area

- Rattling: Apart from the FRH door rattling, I also have a rattling from front dash mostly from below the airbag. The IRVM is also loose and shaky even though it is not making noise.
- FE: Getting around 11 kmpl in city suburbs and 14-15 kmpl in highway when maintained below 100 kmph and 11-12 kmpl when driven around 120 kmph
- The panel gap allows dust and water (during wash) to go till the rubber beading which is way inside. This makes the door look ugly and prone to rusting
- The fuel gauge is pretty much useless. It is small and far, has only 8 bars and the first one (8th bar) will not help you to guess the FE as it will vary drastically based on how the top up is done (Another issue: It is very difficult to have a consistent top up done to Etios, probably due to the design). The other bars too do not represent equal amount of fuel.

I need to make one more visit to the service center for the first 2 issues. But having visited them twice and after knowing that their knowledge about the car is very limited and they don't have a scientific method to calculate the FE, I am holding on the visit. Probably I need to visit and ask for the oil change too.
Upgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 18:53   #108
Senior - BHPian
 
parsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,517
Thanked: 956 Times
Default Re: Toyota Etios V - Initial Ownership Experience

Thats a pretty concise 3k review. Good to hear the engine is settling down and response is good.

Rattling...man Toyota got to get the act together. Hope it is resolved permanently and does not become a production QC problem for Etios.

The FE could have to do with the break-in period, impending oil change (may help).

I was casually asking somebody at my Toyota dealership about the panel gaps and rattling you pointed out, compared to Corolla and Innova as well, and they had no clue about it. Hope Toyota takes note of this and there are better beadings devised to take care of it or some aftermarket items become available for the same.

Last edited by parsh : 4th April 2011 at 18:55.
parsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 12:02   #109
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 47
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: 3,000 KM update

Hey Upgrade, Congratulations on the successful trips. Very precise review showcased here. However, as a Toyota Kirloskar employee, I request you to PM me your car details so that i can follow up over the concerns you are facing. Wishing you a great time ahead with The Etios.

Cheers.
Carb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2011, 23:00   #110
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 76
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: 3,000 KM update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carb View Post
Hey Upgrade, Congratulations on the successful trips. Very precise review showcased here. However, as a Toyota Kirloskar employee, I request you to PM me your car details so that i can follow up over the concerns you are facing. Wishing you a great time ahead with The Etios.

Cheers.
Thanks Carb! I can't PM you till you complete 25 posts in team-bhp.

I am planning to go to service sometime during next week to fix the rattle issue. My FE is still a concern. Please let me know if I can go ahead and change the engine oil (Car 3300 km done). Last time when I asked, the service center people refused to do so. Their knowledge about the car was also pretty less at that time (in Feb). By now I hope they would have handled enough car to fix the problems.
Upgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 10:55   #111
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 47
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: 3,000 KM update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrade View Post
Thanks Carb! I can't PM you till you complete 25 posts in team-bhp.

I am planning to go to service sometime during next week to fix the rattle issue. My FE is still a concern. Please let me know if I can go ahead and change the engine oil (Car 3300 km done). Last time when I asked, the service center people refused to do so. Their knowledge about the car was also pretty less at that time (in Feb). By now I hope they would have handled enough car to fix the problems.
Thats great, i have already arranged for proper fixing of your concern in Nandi Toyota. keep me informed about this so this can be fixed permanently in your car. If possible just drop in the dates rest i'll take care of.
Cheers :-)
Carb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 11:29   #112
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,326 Times
Default Re: Toyota Etios V - Initial Ownership Experience

its funny why the vehicle manufacturers make seats so un-ergonomic, rather narrow and with a marked lack of under thigh support.

is it because they think that the majority of our countrymen are not interested in comfy supportive seats or is it because of some assumption on "average body type" of the potential "user profile". I wonder.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 11:37   #113
BHPian
 
fuel_addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 688
Thanked: 111 Times
Default Re: 3,000 KM update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrade View Post
I am planning to go to service sometime during next week to fix the rattle issue. My FE is still a concern. Please let me know if I can go ahead and change the engine oil (Car 3300 km done). Last time when I asked, the service center people refused to do so.
3300 km for an oil change would be too premature. Why not check the colour of the oil using the dip-stick? I'm sure it would still be golden yellow. I got the engine oil changed (to synthetic) in my Altis during 2nd service at 7K km. I was monitoring the original oil colour periodically and it never changed to a dark colour even after a year.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 20th April 2011 at 11:39.
fuel_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 11:41   #114
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai/BLR/USA
Posts: 928
Thanked: 190 Times
Default Re: 3,000 KM update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carb View Post
Thats great, i have already arranged for proper fixing of your concern in Nandi Toyota. keep me informed about this so this can be fixed permanently in your car. If possible just drop in the dates rest i'll take care of.
Cheers :-)
Good to see Carb from TKM is address issues from fellow bhpians, similar gestures from (Mustang Ford) were highly appreciated and it helped the Figo followers immensely .
A later start never the less a great start Carb, keep the thread buzzing !
Carb it will be great if you can share some hints on LIVA interiors, is it the same as Etios or is it better ? and the anticipated launch dates of LIVA ?

I am itching to change my car as all the anticipated launches are delayed.
tj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 16:12   #115
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 164
Thanked: 91 Times
Default Re: Toyota Etios V - Initial Ownership Experience

Gr8 review upgrade...Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I booked a Etios VX two weeks before. However after going through your experiences I am bit shaken.

I am now having second thoughts on the booking. Looks like I will cancel the booking.
bigwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2011, 17:20   #116
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 32
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Toyota Etios V - Initial Ownership Experience

Hey Upgrade. I have just been allotted an Etios. The dealer has given me a VIN No. that is "MBJB29BT100009491". This comes to 17 digits only while Wildon's post on decoding of VIN's suggests that the it should be 22 digits for Toyota. Would be very grateful if you could check and me know what the VIN in your car is and whether is 17 or 24 digits.
If you need to, you can check the below link to see where the VIN no would be located:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...ml#post2250686 (ARTICLE: Find your car's date of manufacture (VIN))

Would really be grateful for a quick revert as my car has to go for registration coming Monday. Thanks in advance...
gautam109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 11:48   #117
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 76
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: Toyota Etios V - Initial Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carb View Post
Thats great, i have already arranged for proper fixing of your concern in Nandi Toyota. keep me informed about this so this can be fixed permanently in your car. If possible just drop in the dates rest i'll take care of.
Cheers :-)
Thank you! I am planning to go tomorrow to fix one of the rattles that is coming from the glove box. Should I contact someone? What name I should refer?

Also, is there anything I should ask the service people to check for? They check spark plug, spark plug gap, air filter and fuel filter when we complain about FE. Anything more I should specifically insist? My car was made during the last week of January which means during the first month of commercial production. Any typical issue that cars produced during the first month will face apart from rattling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
3300 km for an oil change would be too premature. Why not check the colour of the oil using the dip-stick? I'm sure it would still be golden yellow. I got the engine oil changed (to synthetic) in my Altis during 2nd service at 7K km. I was monitoring the original oil colour periodically and it never changed to a dark colour even after a year.
You are right! The oil colour is golden only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautam109 View Post
Hey Upgrade. I have just been allotted an Etios. The dealer has given me a VIN No. that is "MBJB29BT100009491". This comes to 17 digits only while Wildon's post on decoding of VIN's suggests that the it should be 22 digits for Toyota. Would be very grateful if you could check and me know what the VIN in your car is and whether is 17 or 24 digits.
If you need to, you can check the below link to see where the VIN no would be located:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...ml#post2250686 (ARTICLE: Find your car's date of manufacture (VIN))

Would really be grateful for a quick revert as my car has to go for registration coming Monday. Thanks in advance...
There is a suffix stating the year and month which is not in the number you have. _MMYY is what is missing. Otherwise your number is complete.
Upgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 12:23   #118
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 32
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Toyota Etios V - Initial Ownership Experience

That's what I gathered from Wildon's thread also. According to some VIN decoding sites, a "0" in 10th place means the car is a 2010 make - other sites say "0" was used for 1980 and "A" for 2010. My dealer is being extremely reclaritant about this issue and saying that they don't have further digits on record.He also insists that etios cars began to be shipped in 2011 only - so there is no scope for a 2010 model.
@ Carb - could you confirm this assertion?
@ upgrade - if its not too much to ask, could you check the 10th digit of your VIN - if its also a "0" it means I don't have to worry as even 2011 cars can have 0 in the 10th place of vin#
Hope you don't mind me using your thread for these clarifs. As a newbie I don't have PM rights yet and you're one of the very few etios owners on thbp - hence posting this here
gautam109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 14:47   #119
Senior - BHPian
 
parsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,517
Thanked: 956 Times
Default Re: Toyota Etios V - Initial Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautam109 View Post
That's what I gathered from Wildon's thread also. According to some VIN decoding sites, a "0" in 10th place means the car is a 2010 make - other sites say "0" was used for 1980 and "A" for 2010. My dealer is being extremely reclaritant about this issue and saying that they don't have further digits on record.He also insists that etios cars began to be shipped in 2011 only - so there is no scope for a 2010 model.
@ Carb - could you confirm this assertion?
@ upgrade - if its not too much to ask, could you check the 10th digit of your VIN - if its also a "0" it means I don't have to worry as even 2011 cars can have 0 in the 10th place of vin#
Hope you don't mind me using your thread for these clarifs. As a newbie I don't have PM rights yet and you're one of the very few etios owners on thbp - hence posting this here
Sorry to take this up on somebody's thread.
But Gautam, I think you should insist on PDI in stockyard before even letting it go for Registration. If there is anything amiss, you could then take it up accordingly and reject the car. What I think happening is some orders are getting cancelled and re-allocated by the dealers. So the worst thing that could mean is the car is a Mar 2011 make. For a delivery of yours in Apr 2011, and since Etios is not a stagnant product, the make should mostly be early Apr 2011 which should be confirmed by the dealer also. If there is any hiding/holding back any info by the dealer, straightaway fire communications to Toyota and reject the car. My take is if the car is anywhere even manufactured in Mar 2011 and resting in stockyard, it should have been allocated long time back and delivery done earlier, unless you have chosen to take delivery now. Better make situation clear with stockyard PDI. You should also be able to look at this number there.
parsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 16:31   #120
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 76
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: Toyota Etios V - Initial Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautam109 View Post
That's what I gathered from Wildon's thread also. According to some VIN decoding sites, a "0" in 10th place means the car is a 2010 make - other sites say "0" was used for 1980 and "A" for 2010. My dealer is being extremely reclaritant about this issue and saying that they don't have further digits on record.He also insists that etios cars began to be shipped in 2011 only - so there is no scope for a 2010 model.
@ Carb - could you confirm this assertion?
@ upgrade - if its not too much to ask, could you check the 10th digit of your VIN - if its also a "0" it means I don't have to worry as even 2011 cars can have 0 in the 10th place of vin#
Hope you don't mind me using your thread for these clarifs. As a newbie I don't have PM rights yet and you're one of the very few etios owners on thbp - hence posting this here
Yes, it is 0.

I also know that my car was made in Jan 2011 because I saw a handwritten Jan 2011 date on the inside of the door pad when it was opened for fixing a rattle which I assume was the date of manufacture of the plastic part by the vendor.
Upgrade is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Initial Ownership experience - Toyota Etios Diesel GD-SP Mohanan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 29 26th September 2013 19:07
Initial experience with my diesel Toyota Etios automachine Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 67 12th August 2013 18:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:49.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks