Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 20th February 2011, 16:43   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Story of my Italian horse - Fiat Punto 90HP. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Yes, that was the first thing I did. I checked the tyre pressure on all the tyres. I even checked for defects in the tyres.

I have driven the test drive Punto at high speeds & there is no steering wobble whatsoever in the car.

I am a bit apprehensive about this.

Are they safe & advisable, if a good quality one is used?

I have already sold my OE alloys to a BHPian.
Raj, I am surprised you did not immediately take the car to high speeds after getting alloys fixed as wobble is the first thing everyone checks after getting new alloys fixed or tyres balanced.

Anyway Hub centric rings is the only solution now I guess. Get the diameter of the car hub and the alloy hub diameter measured and get a good quality hub centric rings made. Many team-bhpians have their cars running with a hub centric ring. No problem at all. Call Premji Tyres in Thane and ask him if he does Hub Centric rings.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 18:03   #62
Senior - BHPian

@raj_5004

You may want to check the pcd of the alloys. You might be running 100 pcd instead of the OE spec of 98. The statement of the tyre shop that Puntos are prone to wobbling points in this direction. The other reason of course as pointed out by akshay1234 could be the mismatch in the center hole dia.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 22:43   #63
Senior - BHPian

Friends, I have ICE'd my Pintu!

Link-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...0-hp-iced.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Raj, I am surprised you did not immediately take the car to high speeds after getting alloys fixed as wobble is the first thing everyone checks after getting new alloys fixed or tyres balanced.

Anyway Hub centric rings is the only solution now I guess. Get the diameter of the car hub and the alloy hub diameter measured and get a good quality hub centric rings made. Many team-bhpians have their cars running with a hub centric ring. No problem at all. Call Premji Tyres in Thane and ask him if he does Hub Centric rings.
I dint take the car to high speeds as she was still brand new then. I was observing the speed limit till her run-in period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
@raj_5004

You may want to check the pcd of the alloys. You might be running 100 pcd instead of the OE spec of 98. The statement of the tyre shop that Puntos are prone to wobbling points in this direction. The other reason of course as pointed out by akshay1234 could be the mismatch in the center hole dia.
The wheels I have fitted are 98 PCD. it was clearly written on the package.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 21:21   #64
Senior - BHPian

1000 kms report:

Story of my Italian horse - Fiat Punto 90HP. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0250.jpg
Story of my Italian horse - Fiat Punto 90HP. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0251.jpg
Story of my Italian horse - Fiat Punto 90HP. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0263.jpg
Story of my Italian horse - Fiat Punto 90HP. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0298.jpg
Story of my Italian horse - Fiat Punto 90HP. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0299.jpg

Piling up kms on the car was really easy! In 20 days, the odo showed 1000 kms & it was time to rejoice!

As soon as it clocked 1000, I downshifted & revved her all the way to 4000 rpm, did not get the space to rev her more than that, planning to do that this sunday!

1000 kms impressions:

1) The car is NOT short on power. It pulls strongly after 1700 rpm. It's just that the instant "push in the back" feel is absent. Instead you get a linear & smooth pull which masks the speed well. Yes, the turbo lag is present.

2) Fit & finish is not as bad as projected.

3) After upgrading the music system, the Blue&Me calls are ear deafening loud, need a solution to that.

4) The car is a stunner, every morning I look at it & appreciate it's beauty.

5) Ride & handling... blah blah blah..!

6) The grunt from the engine when you rev it is awesome!

7) It would have been nice if FIAT had incorporated an easier USB player.

8) Under thigh support in front seats could have been better.

9) The AC is a chiller, freezes the cabin in no time.

10) Everything in this car is heavy & has a solid feel to it.
Old 23rd February 2011, 21:26   #65
Team-BHP Support

Just wait till you pass 3000kms Raj, wait and see.

BTW about your calls being too loud, when you press menu on the HU there is an option called alt volume or external volume or something. Lower that.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 21:34   #66
Senior - BHPian

Though I'm late, I would like to congratulate you for owning the most powerful diesel hatchback powerful currently sold in India.

I really liked the photographs that you had shared with us in the first page. I will be looking forward for more drool worthy pics from you. Keep us updated.

Wish you many many happy miles with your new car. Drive safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
+1 to you.

At times, I feel that Fiat cars are like wine*. They get better as days pass by.

* A note to moderators : I feel that the usage of the word 'wine' is not against the rules of the forum. If you feel that I've violated the rules, feel free to make necessary changes.

Quote:
BTW about your calls being too loud, when you press menu on the HU there is an option called alt volume or external volume or something. Lower that.
It's 'external volume' option.

Last edited by Klub Class : 23rd February 2011 at 21:38.
Klub Class is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 21:49   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

thanks a ton buddy, i have just realized I have not yet browsed through the menu settings of the HU nor have i read the Blue&Me manual.

Dint get the time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Though I'm late, I would like to congratulate you for owning the most powerful diesel hatchback powerful currently sold in India.

I really liked the photographs that you had shared with us in the first page. I will be looking forward for more drool worthy pics from you. Keep us updated.

Wish you many many happy miles with your new car. Drive safe.
Thanks a lot buddy.

+1 to you.

Quote:
It's 'external volume' option.
Yes, its external volume. In my car it was set at 22! I reduced it to 3! I am yet to test the after effects.

Thanks guys.
Old 23rd February 2011, 21:51   #68
Senior - BHPian

I forgot to ask you something, in the last post.

Do you still experience the wobble at speeds above 90km/hr? Were you able to diagnose the problem?
Klub Class is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 21:56   #69
Senior - BHPian

yes, the issue will be sorted out tomorrow, most probably. the hub centering ring has been ordered & will be installed tomorrow evening.
Old 23rd February 2011, 23:19   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
yes, the issue will be sorted out tomorrow, most probably. the hub centering ring has been ordered & will be installed tomorrow evening.
Although its late, let me first congratulate you on owning this excellent machine. I too got my 90 HP Punto on 05-Feb. Again, I am also facing the steering wobble problem after 90 KMPH (note:- this is with the stock alloys itself). I need to have a check on this.
rameshnanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 20:43   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Although its late, let me first congratulate you on owning this excellent machine. I too got my 90 HP Punto on 05-Feb. Again, I am also facing the steering wobble problem after 90 KMPH (note:- this is with the stock alloys itself). I need to have a check on this.
If you are also facing the same problem, then I think its a problem with 90 HPs & not my alloys.

I am confused on whether I should get the ring fitted...
Old 24th February 2011, 21:18   #72
Team-BHP Support

It could very well be a coincidence that ramesh also has this wobble, maybe his wheels arent balanced properly. Raj try fitting the rings and see if its helps, I think it will.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 08:45   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are also facing the same problem, then I think its a problem with 90 HPs & not my alloys.

I am confused on whether I should get the ring fitted...
Although I don't take her there very often, I can tell you that there is no wobble in my 90HP with stock alloys even after 100kmph.
StarrySky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 22:25   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It could very well be a coincidence that ramesh also has this wobble, maybe his wheels arent balanced properly. Raj try fitting the rings and see if its helps, I think it will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Although I don't take her there very often, I can tell you that there is no wobble in my 90HP with stock alloys even after 100kmph.

Right. I will first check her alignment & fit the rings anyways. I hope the wobbling disappears.
Old 27th February 2011, 18:07   #75
Senior - BHPian

The wobble over 90 kmph is not specific to the Punto 90HP (rest assured). The issue is primarily balancing OR if you are still using stock tyres, get them checked by the company, the problem may lie with the tyre itself. It happened to me on my Octavia, hence I know. My car tyres were NCT 5 with a manufacturing defect & I was also running non-OE alloys. The tyre company exchanged my tyres at 50% cost, as I complained after about 15k kms.

The hub centering rings, as Akshay suggested may also be a probable reason, try it. Though they are not easy to find.

Hope this helps. BTW great looker you have there.

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 27th February 2011 at 18:09.
Ricky_63 is online now   Reply With Quote