Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 10th February 2011, 22:14   #1
BHPian

Default My Man(z)a :: Indigo Manza QJD Gothil Olive Aura+ :: A year of ownership

Had owned a Getz GLS 1.3 from July 2006 which had clocked close to 30K. The car was solidly built. Never ever had single rattle in spite of consistent 30K kms of driving on pathetic roads. The softer suspension gave a superior ride quality over my Dadís Swift and it held very well. The car was doing fine as my usage for the first three years but of late, I had started clocking more miles due to a variety of reason. Mileage of around 8~9 (partly due to bad clutch plate needing replacement courtesy my switch from AT in the US and my friend habit of riding the clutch), my boredom with the car, need for a sedan, Hyundaiís discontinuation of the model, availability and price of spare part (seat cable cost me Rs1800 bucks, 1 month wait time. Power window actuator took 3 weeks), fast dwindling resale value led me to search for alternatives.

Selection of the Replacement

Based on my budget, the choices were

1) Logan: Ruled out as my family did not like it and I was worried about its dwindling sales.

2) Etios: Was about to be launched, but ruled it out because diesel wonít be available to me until end of 2011 and my preference for Indian companies moving up the value chain.

3) Dzire: The looks and the waiting time for the Dzire was not a problem for me and would have picked it up but for the rear space and leg room as seating 3 people comfortably at the rear was one of my key considerations. I had picked Getz over Swift in 2006 on account of better rear seat space, boot space, ride and build quality but always wondered whether I should have gone for the Swift

4) Manza: Was impressed with the reviews of Manza (especially GTOís ) and feedback from couple of friends good deal. One of them owns a Manza and the other a Linea. Both were impressed with Manza.
Major points that went against the Manza were
a) Niggles: Went through most of the ownership reports and thought that I could live with the niggles mentioned. One of my Dadís friends who owned pleaded with me not to buy it because of the niggles but he later came back and said that Tata had fixed all his problem and he is happy
b) After sales support: It was a mixed bag and understood that Tata A.S.S had been improving and decided to take the risk.
c) Tata Brand: I do not care about the typical perception on Tata being a low cost player and taxi. I am a fan of TML especially with the strides that they have made from making Indica to Nano and the Manza.
Did the test drive and liked the diesel version. Loved the Linea but it was beyond my budget. So, went for what I call as poor manís Linea if we exclude the handling part. However, I decided to wait for a CS version/next upgrade and planned to wait until April 2011. Then came the December offers and was confused on whether to wait or buy in December but the TBHP thread on the subject helped me. Looked at the potential increase in price of the new model, better resale value of my Getz if I sold in Dec instead of 2011, 15K savings from December booking (5-10K additional on exchange + 10K additional December discounts +5K cash discount from the dealer), registration in Jan 2011, my plan to hold on to the car for at least 4 years, discontinuation of the Gothic Olive from 2011 etc. made me to take the book in December. With the current cost of Elan after a cosmetic upgrade, I am not regretting buying the car in December except for the new dashboard that I would have preferred.

On the dealership, decided to go with TAFE REACH Pallikaranai, a decision that I came to regret later. Will be posting my experience in the dealership review.

The cost was as follows
Cost 693,134
Insurance 20,096
Regn+tax 75,813
Extended Warranty 5,250
OE Alloys 22,000
Seat Cover(Autoform) 6,500
Dealer Discount -5,000
Tata Cash Discount -10,000
Exchange bonus -20,000
Corporate Discount -3,000
Final Cost 784,793

Plus free mud flaps, Garware sun film, floor and boot mats. I wanted 3M which they couldnít provide as they did not have a tie up with 3M. So, I asked them to provide me a car cover Rs. 1.5K instead of the free Rs. 1K worth of Garware that they were offering. They obliged. They asked me to bear the Rs. 500 but reluctantly agreed to waive it later

Went for a loan of 4.25 lakhs from IOB. Applied for loan at 11:00 AM and got my DD at 2:00 PM the same day. I had taken loan for my Getz from IOB as well. My mom being an employee helped.

The booking process was very smooth. I had booked the car on Dec 15th. They came to my office to collect the cheque, fill the application forms, a driver came home to collect my Getz, getting my signoff etc. They told me that the car would be available for PDI by around the last week of December.

Got the WIN number on 5th Jan (based on Wildonís algorithm for Tata Cars), it was October and later confirmed by the form 22. It was understandable as Gothic Oliver Aura + is not fast moving as other models and discontinued from Jan 2011. The color was unavailable with other dealers like VST.

Was initially reluctant but decided to go with it after doing a proper PDI. Did the PDI on 6th, Car got registered on 10th and delivered on 10th at 4:00 PM under bright sunlight. They told me that I had to come to their Mount road showroom to collect the car but asked for delivery at their Pallikaranai showroom. They reluctantly agreed after asking me to pay Rs. 200 for their driver.

At 4:00 on 10th Jan, the car was waiting for me take delivery with garland. Did a delivery inspection. They had provided nice carpet mats, clean interiors, 87 Kms on the ODO. During PDI it was 59 KMs (28 odd Kms from Mount Road Ė Tambaram- Pallikaranai). However, the car did not have alloys nor the seat cover. They asked me to bring the car to their service center in Greamís Road a couple of days later for OE alloys and seat cover. I told them to cancel the alloys and seat cover and refund the money instead. The only issue was with the dry wipe marks, that I will cover in the detailed dealership review thread.

Add ons to the car:
Got the following done for 9k At Sri Balaji Agencies, the authorized 3M dealer in Chennai.
  • Underchasis painting (5 yrs warranty +, Interior Panel Protection) Ė Rs. 5K
  • 3M RE35 sunfilm on the sides and the back with 3 year warranty- Rs. 4K
  • Minor scratch removal for the dry wipe marks (and polishing) Ė FOC Ė Balaji did a decent job.
Pending add ons
  • Seat cover- Autoform Ė Checked the autoform at Xenos it was expensive. Privilege moto mall was trying to sell me seat covers marked Indigo but I was not convinced that they were for Manza. Planning to try out Jewajee for the seat cover.
  • Alloys- Still undecided on whether to go for OE or the new one introduced for Elan model or something else.
  • Parking sensor/camera- looking at Xenos and RD
  • Rain wisor
  • 3 layer paint protection at Privilege Carz spa.
  • Rear Spoiler: Have seen a few on road, but not sure whether an OE version is available.
  • Front arm rest (box type)
First 1500 Kms ownership experience.
GTO review was spot on and he has covered most stuff that I have been discovering in my first 1500 kms of my drive. Will focus only on a few things that may be of interest to others.

Engine, Gear shift and turbo lag: Graduating from a petrol Getz, the turbo lag did take some time getting used to. The engine is responsive and smooth between 1500-1800 rpm. Personally felt that 2100-2200 rpm as the best for up-shifting, I had to keep it below 2000 rpm (shifting at 1800~2000) for maintaining the gear ratios suggested by the manual during the run in period. The run in period as suggested by the sticker on the windshield is 1000 Kms whilst the manual states 1500-1800 Kms. With synthetic engine oil, I am planning to run in until 2500 Kms. After the first service at 1000 KMs, have started expanding the rpm envelope slowly above 2000 rpms and to max of 2500 rpms occasionally. The engine was super silent between 1500-1900 rpms after which there is some clatter when accelerating. After another 500 kms, the smooth zone has extended to 2200 rpm. A few times, have taken it to 3000 rpm and felt the turbo kick in like a Swift twice at 2500 and a few times at 1700 rpm. For optimal fuel efficiency, the advised speeds at different gear ratios translate to 1500 rpm. The Instantaneous mileage display displays 25Kmpl when I drive at 1500 rpm from 2nd gear onwards. The gear shift is excellent considering that I was used to a butter smooth shift in the getz. The aggressive return action from the clutch is something that I donít like and is prevalent especially in lower gears. The need for keeping the engine idling before turning off is not mentioned anywhere in the car but only in the manual.

Mileage:
After the initial fill, had done three fills and the mileage calculated in full to full method is as follows, which is very close to the avg mileage displayed by the DIS.
15.1, 15.4, 14.0 (after 1st service with me expanding the rpm envelope + different petrol bunk). Shifted back to one of regular good bunks. I drive with a light foot especially being in run in period and my driving is a mix of 50% city(2-3rd gear), 40% suburban (4th gear cruising), 20% highway (5th gear) and 100% ac on.

Ride and Handling: Handling is similar to my earlier Getz, with the suspension being a bit more softer. Quality of the ride is better than my Getz on normal roads with potholes filled with tar and unevenness but have to be really careful on bad roads. The unladen ground clearance is good and with one or two people, I havenít found many issues. However, when the car is loaded, the GC drops down drastically and one has to very careful when driving over uneven roads. The jack pads reduce the GC further and hits the road/speed humps if not driven slowly.

Steering: The nicely weighted steering is something I enjoy over my Getz, which had some degree of vagueness to it. For someone graduating from a hatchback, the car is easy to steer, park as long as one is conscious of the boot. My friends who own the i10 and the Santro also gave similar feedback. I havenít got the sound that other owners have complained when the steering is turned fully to the left or right.

Front Seating: I am 5í8 but have a taller upper body and shorter legs. Unless you are driving with your seats pulled back, there is hardly any space between your head and the intersection of the windshield and the roof. The height adjustment feature is really useful but my dad with a similar build like me was encountering this problem in the passenger seat. The front seat doesnít travel as back as my Getz used to.

Rear view mirrors: Would have liked the inside RVM to be wider to cover the entire rear like Getz. Would have also liked the right side OVRM to open a bit more. The OVRM assembly doesnít close fully inwards.
There is no bottle holder at the rear end of the hand brake lever like a Getz or Swift. There is one at the center armrest but if there are three people travelling Canít use it. The bottle holder is also of lower diameter and some of the Aquafina/Kinley water bottles donít fit. There is no glove/glass compartment below the steering wheel which is very useful for keeping sunglasses, toll receipts.

NVH Levels: The car is super silent and the NVH level are lower than over my friends i20 CRDI. As mentioned earlier, the noise is high when started but dies down once we drive the car. The engine is smooth and the damping pretty good. A 3M under-chassis painting has reduced the already minimal running noise. The NVH level increases when the AC compressor switches on.

Plastics: The quality of plastics on the power window switches, cabin lights, inside door lever, the steering control etc. and the rubber beading spoils what is overall a better build car.

Music System: The speakers are rated 18Watts and one has to keep the volume at 20 + for audibility music. Though not an ICE freak, I had a sony amp, jbl components speakers and 1000W subwoofer in my Getz and I get this :(. It is so bad that my mom who does not have an ear for these things herself rates its poor. However, it is much better than the stock music system in the new wagon R Vxi and above. The display for the audio system has a horrible blue font which is not readable during day time.
Bluetooth provided is a great feature with ability to pair 5 phones. However, I was able to connect only one phone at a time. The user manual provided does not have any info about the blue tooth feature and one has to figure it out themselves.

Lights: The low beam headlamp is pretty good with good range and clarity. The high beam does not have enough throw. Fog lamp is pretty ornamental

Small niggles/issues
1) Occasional rattling of dashboard when driven over bad roads as though a loose screw is caught inside it. They did not fix it in the first service. The source of the noise moves over indicating a loose object somewhere.
2) Occasional mal function of the power window switches that got fixed in the first service.
3) Lower GC when laden (165mm is when unladen) than I would have liked 4) Occasional squeaking sounds at the rear suspension when somebody sits.
5) The door and the boot lid need a lot of pressure to slam shut.
6) Vibrating left fog lamp

Wish-list
1) Rear A/C vents.
2) Leather upholstery on the steering
3) Alloys, darker dashboard & leather seat now addressed in the Elan but increased cost.
4) Better build quality.
5) Slightly stiffer/better rated suspension especially at the rear.

My Man(z)a :: Indigo Manza QJD Gothil Olive Aura+ :: A year of ownership-1.jpg

My Man(z)a :: Indigo Manza QJD Gothil Olive Aura+ :: A year of ownership-2.jpg

My Man(z)a :: Indigo Manza QJD Gothil Olive Aura+ :: A year of ownership-3.jpg

My Man(z)a :: Indigo Manza QJD Gothil Olive Aura+ :: A year of ownership-7.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 17th February 2011 at 11:04. Reason: Adding some of your pictures to the opening post itself
Sridhar K is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 23:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My Man(z)a - Indigo Manza - QJD Gothic Olive Aura + - 1500 Intiial ownership repo

Congrats on your wise buy? I wish you have lots of safe drives in the future
It is great to get an unbiased review of the car.
As for your wishlist, dont you think the increased cost is reasonable considering one gets the alloys and the darker dashboard?
whither the pics?!

Last edited by selfdrive : 10th February 2011 at 23:01. Reason: asked for pics!
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2011, 00:51   #3
BHPian

Default Re: My Man(z)a - Indigo Manza - QJD Gothic Olive Aura + - 1500 Intiial ownership repo

Congrats!
A nice unbiased ownership report.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K
Alloys- Still undecided on whether to go for OE or the new one introduced for Elan model or something else.
The dual tone alloys of the Elan look fantastic.I think you should buy them.
fast&furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2011, 01:02   #4
BHPian

Congrats on the Manza.
You have mentioned that it comes with synthetic oil? Is it true? I thought synthetic oil is best when used after running a few thousand kms in the vehicle. Is my understanding correct?

Is there any noticeable difference in synthetic oil compared to mineral oil?
himavanth_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2011, 08:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: My Man(z)a - Indigo Manza - QJD Gothic Olive Aura + - 1500 Intiial ownership repo

Hi Sridhar,

Big Congrats on the Manza, the car is truly a VFM buy. I am sure you will overcome the intial hiccups and enjoy the car. Happy mile crunching and drive safely.

Pls do post the pics of your ride.

BTW my office colleague who had brought the diesel version a few months back has been doing Mumbai-Pune-Mumbai daily for the past month or so and has been getting an FE of 22-23 kmpl. I hope you too would achieve it.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2011, 09:01   #6
BHPian

Thanks Everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
Congrats on the Manza.
You have mentioned that it comes with synthetic oil? Is it true? I thought synthetic oil is best when used after running a few thousand kms in the vehicle. Is my understanding correct?

Is there any noticeable difference in synthetic oil compared to mineral oil?
This is one of my question too that I raised in the thread on run-in. Per the owners manual, it is recommended to use synthetic oil and the first oil change is at 20k. The reason cited by TASS for a longer oil change interval is the usage of synthetic oil. Not sure whether they would have recommended a 20k service interval if they had used mineral oil.

Wanted to change oil at the first service but backed out because of the cost involved. Thought about changing to mineral oil at 1K with a switch back to synthetic later, but did not do so because I did not want TASS to cite that as a reason to deny a warranty at a later stage. Planning an oil change at 10K though.

I have not driven the vehicle with both the oils to comment on the difference between the two, but the noticeable thing is that the engine hardly gets heated like typical new engine perhaps due to superior property of the synthetic. With the synthetic inside, planning to have an extended run-in period to 3k over the prescribed 1500-1800 Kms.

fast&furious:
Even before Elan was launched, I was thinking about the same alloys as it was used on the anniversary edition of the Vista but was not sure whether it was available in 15 inches.

My Man(z)a :: Indigo Manza QJD Gothil Olive Aura+ :: A year of ownership-12012011424.jpg

Now, will have to wait for the Elan alloys to be available off market. Does anybody know who is the OEM for the Tata Alloys - Apollo or Neo?

selfdrive:
I feel that the cost of alloys and the seat should be around 30k but the darker dashboard shoudnt cost more, right? Secondly I infer that the cost of Elan is more than that of the Dzire ZDI with similar feature set.

Ghodlur
Seen that the FE of the car is extremely sensitive to the load and the speed. I too think and hope that I would be able to achieve higher FE on highway trips

Last edited by GTO : 17th February 2011 at 11:06. Reason: Adding your (full) car pictures to the opening post. Removing 3 incomplete, crooked pictures
Sridhar K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2011, 09:48   #7
BHPian

Congrats Sridhar for your Man (Z)a Experience.
This is a wonderful VFM buy you did. I too will join you very soon in this Manza club. Mostly by this month end.
Pls let me know how much does the rear parking sensors/ camera set up cost you completely after installation.
Also how long did 3M took for doing your underbody treatment?.

Happy Manza'ing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Thanks Everyone.

fast&furious:
Even before Elan was launched, I was thinking about the same alloys as it was used on the anniversary edition of the Vista but was not sure whether it was available in 15 inches.
Yest they are available in 15 inches and are coming with Elan.
The 14 inchers are coming with Vista 90 Safire as OE fitment.

Last edited by Amartya : 11th February 2011 at 12:31.
Maverick79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2011, 10:01   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post
Congrats Sridhar for your Man (Z)a Experience.
This is a wonderful VFM buy you did. I too will join you very soon in this Manza club. Mostly by this month end.
Pls let me know how much does the rear parking sensors/ camera set up cost you completely after installation.
Also how long did 3M took for doing your underbody treatment?.

Happy Manza'ing..
Thanks. 3M took a couple of hours to do the under body. There is usually an authorized 3M/Wurths person at the dealership/service center who can also do it for you as part of your first service.
Old 11th February 2011, 11:07   #9
BHPian

Sridhar,
Which make tyres did you get along with this beauty? Bridgestone or Appollo?
Old 11th February 2011, 12:41   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Sridhar,
Which make tyres did you get along with this beauty? Bridgestone or Appollo?
Bridgestones.

On a different note, I infer that Manza comes from both Pimpri and Ranjangaon. Not sure where mine came from. There was a paper in the glove compartment which had some bar codes and reference to some Tata Cockpit Center or something similar at Pimpri.

Few Update on the first service
TAFE reach customer service dept. called me asking me whether I was happy with the service. Told them that I was not happy that they did not fix the rattling issue. They asked me to bring the car back to the service center, which I refused. They suggested that they would send somebody home but I haven't received a call since.

TML customer service from Pune called me and gave 7/10 for the service. Reasons for bad service were

a) They had an SA who filled in for another SA who was supposed to deal with me. The person did not have much idea on the Manza and suggested Bardhal mentioning that TML has asked them to add it to all their cars going forward. I had to tell him that Manza Manual explicitly states that Bardahl/System D shouldnt be used on the QJD.He later checked with someone and confirmed that I was right and later admitted that he primarily deals with regular Indica/Indigo

b) Did not fix the dashboard rattling as they had claimed

c) Soiled the seats a bit while servicing

d) They keyed in my phone number for someother Indica customer as well.

TML Pune had called me 4 times about the Indica with each time me repeating the same answer .i.e. I did service my Manza at TAFE reach but the Indica is someone else. Not sure how good is their ticketing system.

On the dashboard issue: Found out today that when I push the dashboard towards the front with my left hand, the rattling disappears. Planning to take it My TVS - Bhagavathi motors in Medavakkam who is a Tata Authorized Service Outlet and I kind of know the the GM as he fixed the sticky dashboard problem on my Getz
Old 11th February 2011, 13:27   #11
BHPian

Thank you for the info on tyres.

Manza is rolled out only from Ranjangaon Fiat plant. Only the body is made in Pimpri plant and moved to Ranjangaon for assembly and roll out.
Old 11th February 2011, 15:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

True. The alloys cost around 22K and you can round the difference up to 30K considering the change in seat covers & interior quality (perhaps better quality control).
Comparatively, I think the Manza is streets ahead of the Dzire in terms of space and build. Interior quality could be the same with the Aura+, but the Elan looks better. I havent seen the Elan in flesh yet, so shouldnt really comment on that.
Overall, I consider the Manza to be a very sensible buy. It may not be a hot looker like Linea but it has an imposing presence and does the job well.
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 10:59   #13
BHPian

Sridhar,
Can you pls let me know from how far can you unlock/lock you car with the remote. Is it around 150 feet? More or less, and how much?.
I am asking this question as I installed a Xenos central locking in my M800 and I can lock/ unlock it from 150 feet. I measured with a tape once on a flat ground just to check the distance.
Old 12th February 2011, 12:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Sridhar and a good initial ownership report. Wishing you a safe and long niggle free ownership.

Looking at the Manza's boot i always thought parking it would require some effort. Saw that you have Parking Sensors on the list of Pending add on's. How difficult it is without it? Do you face any visibility issues at the rear?
amitwlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 17:41   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Sridhar,
Can you pls let me know from how far can you unlock/lock you car with the remote. Is it around 150 feet? More or less, and how much?.
I am asking this question as I installed a Xenos central locking in my M800 and I can lock/ unlock it from 150 feet. I measured with a tape once on a flat ground just to check the distance.
I haven't measured it accurately. It is around 50-70 feet max.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Congrats Sridhar and a good initial ownership report. Wishing you a safe and long niggle free ownership.

Looking at the Manza's boot i always thought parking it would require some effort. Saw that you have Parking Sensors on the list of Pending add on's. How difficult it is without it? Do you face any visibility issues at the rear?
Thanks Amit. Yes, there are a few issues

1) The boot is quite tall and objects below the boot are not visible. My tail lamp assembly broke (a small hole) when it hit the brake lever of a bike that a gentleman parked on the side stand. I wanted to take a K turn. I crossed the road checking there was no vehicle on the road to the right. Then I started reversing . In the meantime, a gentleman had parked the vehicle which was not visible to me while reversing. I will post a pick of the small damage to the tail lamp

2) The rear visibility is not great though as not bad as a Dzire. Judging the length of the boot takes some time for someone who is used to hatch back for a few years.

3) Camera and sensor are very useful in the night and at basement parking lots where the visibility is poor.

BTW, a few updates

1) Got reverse parking camera and rvm mounted LCD display.The RVM mounted LCD monitor is from RD whilst the camera was from some other company. The camera is much smaller than the typical cameras that I have seen on many vehicles.

Cost: Rs. 7800 at Sri Kum Car Decors near Nungambakkam high road. My dad knows the owner and hence got a good deal. Currently they sell Dolphin seat covers apart from car audio, perfumes, alloys etc. They are also taking up dealership for autoform.

2) While doing the wiring , found a loose screw inside that I suspected was causing the dashboard rattle. Tightened the screw and the rattle has disappeared for now.

3) The Manza OEM music system is a single din in a two din outer frame with no pre-outs.

4) Have given order for Autoform seat covers at Jewajee at Anna Nagar. Have to finalize the model between U Fly, U Pass and U Cheer apart from the color.

Will be posting a few more pictures in a couple of days.