Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 8th January 2006, 12:32   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboindia
we all enjoy cars and be happy we have so many to choose from today.

I am taking the first LAURA from kerala next week. Will keep you guys updated on whether I fall more in love or whether it was just an infatuation.
You lucky berk - you can afford to buy overpriced cars, and still smile! Keep on truckin' man, and keep on giving us lesser mortals the information on these cars, until we can taste them ourselves.

Actually the price issue is mostly the fault of the Indian govt. - they kill us with taxes, countervailing duties, etc.
The Babus will only learn when they do not get privileges like chauffeur-driven cars, but have to pay for their own like all the rest of us.
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2006, 04:37   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
[SIZE=2] I cant imagine why car manufacturers, even the likes of Skoda, who sells cars nearly twice as much as they cost in European countries take Indian customers for a ride. [/SIZE]
Aseem, when a good Car manufacturer does try to give us Indians all the features , then ppl think its not "value for money" and "over priced".

the Laura is the perfect example of a Car Company giving the Indians all that they should be having, and now ppl avoid it coz its too pricey. but the regular Skoda Octavia is not pricy coz it does not have most of the features, and ppl actually dont wanna shell out much for features that they aint gonna be using much.
Insane Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2006, 17:24   #48
BHPian

Hey all!

Finally, today afternoon i got to drive the Laura! and boy, was i thrilled~! it was amazing! jus too good! very good power, pickup, tourque is great! and the shifting of gears are so real fast! i was driving for around one hour, and it was constalty showing the "current mileage" = 9.2 to 10 l / 100 kms! so that gives a net mileage of around 10+ in city traffic with ac on. the latest CAR magazine is quoting 14kmpl in City and 22kmpl in Highways for the DSG Auto Laura! well, i wud be very very happy n contend if i am getting 9-10kmpl in city! anything more wud be a big bonus
on descent cruising at speeds of around 50-60 in city it engages the 6th Gear. moment u press the throttle down, it flicks to 3rd gear and takes a plunge forward!
Best part is, this also has a SPORTS mode in it, instead of the "D" u put the gear lever to "S" and then it changes at higher rpms and the pickup in it is jus mind blowing!

The ride quality was also fantastic, i went to a lil outskirts on an open stretch of road and touched around 150, but then a stupid DEAF truck driver just wudnt move out of the way, driving in the centre of the 2 lane road, so had to come down all the way to 20 and had to blast the horn for a minute before he finally gave way! the car handled very good!

the in-dash 6-cd changer also plays MP3~!!!! jus the lil nag i had abt the audio system, has now gone! and the sound quality from the speakers are really great, the thumping is there and its there for real! 3 speakers in each door = 12 Speakers total.

my overall impression on the test drive and the car - IMPRESSED to the limits!

the DSG is just mickemouse! nothing compared to this!

a lil note: i observed today that the Laura they selling in india now is the "L&K" model. it has the L&K sticker on the front fenders. so yea, all u guys who want the Laura at a price range of around 16-17 onroad, well, wait for a year or so and u will surely get the basic "classic" or "ambient" or "elegance" versions.

now after a very satisfying and full of fun drive, only compaint about the car is - THE Indicator lever is on the left and Wipers on the right :(

The BLACK Magic Pearl color is lookin real neat and luxurious! its a Metallic color with pearl finish. and the Beige interiors on this look jus too good! the black interiors (Seats and lower half of dash) dont look that "premium" kinda!

jus cant wait till 16th to take its delivery!
Old 10th January 2006, 03:05   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil
i observed today that the Laura they selling in india now is the "L&K" model. it has the L&K sticker on the front fenders.
Yup ,the version they are selling right now is the L&K(top of the line) version.

Quote:
wait for a year or so and u will surely get the basic "classic" or "ambient" or "elegance" versions.:
Well , i am not sure about the "classic" but ,take my word , it wont take more than 6 months before you could see the ambiente and elegance versions on the indian roads and i was told(from one of the insiders) ,the manual version could be here anytime in feb 2006 .
Now ,i dont know how far its true but ,i heard the manual version could be named the "elegance" !

Quote:
now after a very satisfying and full of fun drive, only compaint about the car is - THE Indicator lever is on the left and Wipers on the right :
Buddy, mostly all the german cars are having the indicators on the left .
Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2006, 08:33   #50
BHPian

Default Advertisment

I wonder how many of you saw the recent ads from Skoda.. All they sell in the ad is the ample space for a couple to make out in the back of the car!!!! Well if that is the USP for selling premium cars what can i say. Lets hope amongst other things, they get their branding and positioning right as well.

Insane Devil, seems that you are having a great time test driving your new car. Should probably walk across to the showroom and get a test drive myself!
rangaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2006, 09:00   #51
Senior - BHPian

Insane Devil, I am just trying to get a grip on how much of the features and technology has been transferred to Skoda by VW.

1. Can you tell me if the Laura has the lane change indicators on it's indicator stalks?
2. Are the sun visor's and center arm rest adjustable?
3. Are the glove box and center arm rest air conditioned?

My guess is it should have all these features. And yea guys, I just got the 2006 VolksWagen Jetta 2.5. Will put up pictures and a first review in a few days.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2006, 12:55   #52
BHPian

Default The previous head of Skoda was fired!

BERLIN: Skoda Auto, the Czech unit of Germany's Volkswagen, has fired the head of its India operations, a spokesman for Europe's largest carmaker said.
Imran Hassen was dismissed on Jan. 1 “because of differences over management issues,” Dirk Grosse-Leege, Volkswagen's communications chief, said on Monday, declining to be more specific.
Prosecutors have been investigating former Skoda board member Helmuth Schuster and another former Volkswagen human resources manager since June 2005 on allegations they created shell companies to win business from Europe's largest carmaker.
The probe has since spread to include allegations that managers paid for trips and prostitutes for labor leaders in exchange for favorable votes on company policy.
Old 10th January 2006, 16:19   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
Insane Devil, I am just trying to get a grip on how much of the features and technology has been transferred to Skoda by VW.

1. Can you tell me if the Laura has the lane change indicators on it's indicator stalks?
2. Are the sun visor's and center arm rest adjustable?
3. Are the glove box and center arm rest air conditioned?

My guess is it should have all these features. And yea guys, I just got the 2006 VolksWagen Jetta 2.5. Will put up pictures and a first review in a few days.

AMIT:
1. Lane change indicators! what lanes! no, i dont think they got that... not even in the Laura world wide.
2. Sunvisors being adjustable, well i didnt pay attention to the Sun Visor at all.. so cant answer that, but the CENTER ARMREST is surely adjustable, it slides front n back and height adjustment.
3. Yes the Glove box and the Center Armrest Box are Air Conditioned. good for my bottle of Gatorade and Redbull on long drives!

Beemer: yea most of the German cars do have it on the left, but thats being not indianised properly, they just shift the steering to this side. as such, the Indicator lever shud be on the right side, and the Petrol Tank lid should be located on the Left side of the vehicle. About the Manual, yes, the DSG is coming only in the L&K versions outside too, i reckon.
Old 11th January 2006, 13:44   #54
Senior - BHPian

The Laura is good, But with Just 105bhp and automatic, it will be slow. Also not to forget its rival is the Accord 3.0l I vtec which has something like 220bhp under the hood. Crazy. Skoda will lessen the price like they did with the Superb or this car wont sell much. People who buy high end cars like these prefer statuts, looks( looks like an Octy only) and Interiors( which are plane) but the features are pretty impressive, i would rather shell four more lacs and buy a Superb TDI then the Laura
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2006, 16:19   #55

Just wanted to add that if power was the only worry keeping back anybody from buying the LAura you know where to look. A Pete's tuning box with 130 BHP and 300 NM torque or a Pete's remap to 150 Bhp with 320NM. Your choice.

Wow a dsg laura with 150 bhp! that should be really awsome . Please do post your findings as soon as possible.
ponjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2006, 16:54   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hey all!now after a very satisfying and full of fun drive, only compaint about the car is - THE Indicator lever is on the left and Wipers on the right :( !
I got an Opel and Skoda repectively BECUASE of this. I am os used to this that I hardly considered the other options.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2006, 18:25   #57
BHPian

hahaha! navin! good one! well, u are lucky both ur vehicles are like that, but in our case, its like, we got a Tucson, a Getz, and now a Laura!

its gonna be ...

Left! Right! Left!
Indicator! Wiper! Indicator!
Old 11th January 2006, 21:53   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Laura is good, But with Just 105bhp and automatic, it will be slow
Busa, the DSG is not called a Automatic but a clutchless manual. You have drive the DSG to understand how good it is. Just to give you a example, a DSG automatic vehicle is actually faster from 0-100 then a car with manual transmission.

Insane Devil, did the salesguy tell you that VW's automatic transmissions are adpative? They actually sense the driving style of the driver and within 4 shifts adapt to the driving style by changing shift patterns. So, if your father has a light foot, you will feel the car shifting "leisurely" and if you are a heavy foot driver, then the shift will adapt to your style in 4 shifts.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2006, 22:38   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
hahaha! navin! good one! well, u are lucky both ur vehicles are like that
not lucky. i planned this! serious!

as some over from the ICE section will tell you i look at the world through severly distorted lenses.

my priorities for a car.
1. tough suspension
2. well built
3. front tweeter pods should in correct location
4. Indicators on the left
5. Petrol egine with a target of 100 bhp/ton

no rear legroom, FE, gizmos, etc...

What i look for is a rolling petrol drinking tank with great audio and indicators on the left.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2006, 07:45   #60
BHPian

Default Most high-tech car of the year

Looks like the Laura took the CNBC high tech car of the year award.