Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 16th February 2011, 11:22   #16

Default re: My Mahindra Xylo E8 Musings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Congrats Pawan

That is a nice looking front guard that you have put up, it actually adds to the front looks. Am not a fan of the rear guard of this or any kind but it is about each ones choice.

That loose turbo nut defect should not have occured. It could have caused a significant loss in engine oil and further complications later.

Enjoy the drive, do keep the kids only in the rear / mid row bench.
I would agree that the rear guard doesn't do justice to this beauty. I had checked the catalog for M-Tek, Ajanta and Classique and couldn't find anything to my liking. But after seeing my friends' cars being rear ended by two wheelers at stops/red lights, I feel it is an important accessory.

Regarding the positioning of car seats, having learnt my driving in the US I am well aware of the perils of having kids in the front row. As a rule, I never allow kids in the front row in my car.
pawann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 17:41   #17
BANNED

Default re: My Mahindra Xylo E8 Musings

Since you said you test drove the scorpio before finalizing the deal, i want to ask you how would you compare the ride quality and the overall experience of both the vehicles, the xylo and the scorp. I know that the xylo scores on the comfort and convenience end, but how would you rate the scorpio in terms of driver comfort and say if four people had to travel in it. Which would be a better option?

I once travelled in a xylo with five people and it did pretty good on the highway. We touched 153 easily. But the driver told us that this is because the vehicle is full. if it was empty and there were like two people in it, it would be a pretty bouncy ride. Whats your take on this?

Last edited by DMehta : 16th February 2011 at 17:43.
DMehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 05:12   #18

Post re: My Mahindra Xylo E8 Musings

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMehta View Post
Since you said you test drove the scorpio before finalizing the deal, i want to ask you how would you compare the ride quality and the overall experience of both the vehicles, the xylo and the scorp. I know that the xylo scores on the comfort and convenience end, but how would you rate the scorpio in terms of driver comfort and say if four people had to travel in it. Which would be a better option?

I once travelled in a xylo with five people and it did pretty good on the highway. We touched 153 easily. But the driver told us that this is because the vehicle is full. if it was empty and there were like two people in it, it would be a pretty bouncy ride. Whats your take on this?
In terms of ride quality and suspension, both Xylo and Scorpio will be at par. The comfort would be better in a Xylo due to better thigh support (strictly my opinion). But Scorpio is more of a driver's vehicle. The thrust is more and handles better than a Xylo. I have not felt the ride quality altering due to number of people in a Xylo but then I am yet to take it on a highway. Ride in a Xylo is never 'bouncy' not even when only two people are in it. But the swaying for the back seat passengers may be there.
Old 17th February 2011, 15:59   #19
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My Mahindra Xylo E8 Musings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
Finally, eh! . Nice review.

I slot into one of the odd gears first , mostly 3 - and then reverse is a buttery smooth fit. No idea why? but works for me.
I find moving to 2nd a bit hard. I've discovered double clutching makes it easy. Will look at experts take on this workaround.

That mileage is amazing! On my recent NH4 trip, I got about 11.5 with AC low 100%. 15-16 would be an achivement. I'm pretty lightfooted.
Even I am pretty lightfooted. max is 80-100. BUt I don't switch on A/C. With A/C it is around 14kmpl on highways. Try with the clutch thing which I mentioned.

Quote:
The driver is right. With only 2 onboard it is little bit bouncy. But the tyre air pressure also plays a major role in this. Even then with only 2 it is little bouncier.
shishir_bn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 17:33   #20
BHPian

Congratulations Pawan,

Xylo is in my mind for quite a long now. The dilemma of Scorp or Xylo for me will end soon with Xylo at the earliest i believe. Could you please share some interior pics as well ?

Cheers
trtraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2011, 12:04   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawann View Post
Let me start off by saying it feels good to be on this forum. My request for membership was rejected twice and I almost gave up. But I am glad I tried once more.
Congrats pawann, Wishing you a very happy ownership. I also own a Xylo E6 black/grey. It has done 15K now and I'm really happy with it. Did you checkout the new Body Kit that Mahindra announced? Was it available at the dealership. If yes, do you mind sharing the price details? Thanks.
classact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 00:26   #22
BHPian

Hey Pawann congrats on the wonderful acquisition. i am a great fan of the xylo especially of the interior seating. i weigh 110 and still can seat comfortable alongside 2 normal adults. i also somehow like the way the front 3/4th looks. 2 shortcomings for me personally would be the boat like ride inside and the lack of an automatic. i strongly think mahindra can really up the sales even further by having an automatic. why they dont already is beyond me. i am eagerly waiting for the day they do and the xylo will become an even more VFM offering

Quote:
But then I recalled a discussion about desi Vs Videshi manufactures. The general consensus in that discussion was that you should be prepared for ‘minor’ issues in the initial period of ownership when you buy desi. Apna Bharat Mahaan!![/list]
i dont agree on the whole Desi vs Videshi deal. My Vento TDI Highline was delivered on December 4th. The first day itself the front passenger door would not open, horn pad was not consistent (needed to be depressed real hard on the left side) and the car veered sharply to the left. it was very embarassing when you open the door from the outside while sitting inside and that too in a new VW. i took it to VW KSM Navi Mumbai (from where i purchased the car) and they took a look and figured that the internal door opener was not even connected. i was appalled at the sort of PDI they must have done for which they delayed the car delivery by a day.

they asked me to wait the whole day for the car going to left problem. they rotated the tyres did an alignment twice and told me it is solved. the next day when i drove the car i figured it hadnt been solved. i went again the following week and they kept the car for 2-3 days and then said that there is a problem with Appolo Acelere tyres and the same would be rectified of JK tyres were put. they replaced the tyres with JK tyres and the problem was solved. i started getting a wheel balancing problem where the car would wobble over 100kmph. i showed it to them once and again they said it has been solved. it is the 18th of Feb as i write this and the issue is still persistent. i dont know if i should even go there to get this done. i just feel like spending money and getting it done outside. KSM and VW have never contested any of my claims or charged me money for the same but the truth also is that they havent been able to solve it either.

on the hornpad issue i gave up after a couple of times and have gotten used to depressing it hard (cant keep going there)

and yes the icing on the cake is that everytime i said that such things are not expected from VW the response i got is "Sir hum log bhi naye hai we are also learning" totally shocking coming from a VW service centre head.

My apologies to have taken this a little but just thought that i should share my experience on this forum.

Pawann congrats once again on a wonderful buy
miharbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 11:38   #23
BANNED

I was just reading a test drive review of the xylo elsewhere on the forum. the review was very disappointing. They were saying that the car was nothing but a boat due to the significant amount of body roll and the soft suspension. Is it really that bad?
Old 19th February 2011, 12:05   #24
Senior - BHPian

^^ The body roll and suspension is not all that bad in the Xylo.

I did a TD of the Xylo last month. I drove it for a couple of kms, and sat in the last row for a couple of kms, on highway roads as well as broken roads. The suspension feels good in the driver's seat. In the last row, I felt a slight degree of bounciness and floaty feeling (which I experience in my Scorpio too), on uneven and undulating roads. But then I was alone in the last row, with just the sales guy driving. Maybe the rear settles down better with passenger / luggage load.

I would however advise an extended TD on varied surfaces and loads, since ride comfort is so subjective, and obviously varies from person to person.
mooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 16:23   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I was just reading a test drive review of the xylo elsewhere on the forum. the review was very disappointing. They were saying that the car was nothing but a boat due to the significant amount of body roll and the soft suspension. Is it really that bad?
I am a little surprised at that feedback!
But then I realize that it also depends on the vehicle that was previously being driven...wonder what that was that made the Xylo feel like a boat? (Its like the story of "The Princess and the Pea" - I guess I wouldn't feel a pea under 20 mattresses). Anyway, I've been driving a Xylo E8 for almost 2 years now, and my family and me are still very happy with it.
manij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 18:34   #26

Post Re: My Mahindra Xylo E8 Musings

Here are my 2 cents on Xylo interiors along with the pictures that people had requested.

The first thing that will hit you about the Xylo interiors is the space that you get. I am 5' 9" and even if sit in the third row there is at least 4" gap between my knee and the seat. It can comfortably seat a 6 feeter even in the third row!

My Mahindra Xylo E8 Musings-p16.jpgMy Mahindra Xylo E8 Musings-p21.jpg
The second quick impression that you are likely to form about Xylo interiors is about the quality of plastics used. And the impression that you form will be dependent on your expectations from it. In an absolute sense they are average (not high quality). So if you are like me who has read on various forums that they are outright crappy, you will be pleasantly surprised and if you are expecting a Honda in there you are likely to be let down.

Having covered the broader aspects let me come down to the finer details

- The Xylo interiors are available in two trims - Grey and Beige. But both the trims are not available with all exterior colors. For ex, Black Xylo is available only in Beige trim. And for the life of me, I can't figure out why it's that way. I was very keen on grey trim and was prepared to wait extra if required but was told that it is just not possible :(

- The instrument panel and center console are simple and uncluttered. The controls are easy and intuitive. But I am not a big fan of wood like plastic used. The AC LO and HI controls for saving some fuel is a nice touch. The AC is very good and most of the times AC-LO is sufficient for my needs.
My Mahindra Xylo E8 Musings-p10.jpgMy Mahindra Xylo E8 Musings-p11.jpg

- Enough storage space is provided for tit bits (cell phones, coins, a cup or two)
My Mahindra Xylo E8 Musings-p14.jpg
- The dead pedal is a boon for giving your feet some rest. Now when I drive me Alto, I inadvertently look for it!
My Mahindra Xylo E8 Musings-p13.jpg

- The driver seat provides for height adjustment but the play is not much and the controls are manual. The storage space under the driver's seat is a big plus (Thanks to mmxylorider for pointing it out!!) given the small size of the glove compartment.

My Mahindra Xylo E8 Musings-p23.jpgMy Mahindra Xylo E8 Musings-p24.jpg
- There are separate lights for each seat with individual controls which is a big plus
- Separate AC vents for the second and third rows (+) but only one control for them in the second row (-)
My Mahindra Xylo E8 Musings-p18.jpg

- Lighted vanity mirror for the passenger side along with overhead storage for driver/passenger
My Mahindra Xylo E8 Musings-p22.jpg

- Storage space and water bottle pouches in both the front doors
My Mahindra Xylo E8 Musings-p20.jpg

- Notice the large and sturdy handles for each seat. (++) for regress.
My Mahindra Xylo E8 Musings-p19.jpg
- The middle seat folds in a 60:40 split and is easy to fold. No such luck with the third seat. Which was a big let down. Again I was very keen second seat like arrangement for the third seat also but it is not possible due to design constraints. If only Mahindra works out this issue, it will increase the utility of the vehicle and eliminate the need for overhead luggage carrier.
- Ever wondered why the car manufacturers provide a 60:40 split on bench like seats. Why can't it be 70:30 or 75:25? Well all these questions started popping in my head after I discovered that if I fit my car 2 seats side by side on the larger split, they overlap a little with the smaller portion thus rendering in unfoldable and blocking access to the third row. If only, it had been a 70:30 split !!
- There is no boot space. But if you fold the third seat you get a good boot space.
My Mahindra Xylo E8 Musings-p17.jpg
Old 19th February 2011, 21:25   #27
Senior - BHPian

The looks are certainly debatable on the xylo, but is something one can live with. Like we did with the 2nd generation Honda City

The Xylo has very practical and comfortable interiors, and especially quite useful for long drives considering the captain seats, trays, sleeping options and so on. And make no compromise, E8 is the best
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 22:57   #28
BANNED

Thanks a lot for the pictures. The interior looks great and the seat covers blend in with the interiors. the flight trays look black. Did you get the colored?
Old 20th February 2011, 15:22   #29
BHPian

Quote:
And then came the real winner – 9.4L OTR and delivery in 2-3 weeks.
We just booked Xylo E8 top model (black colour) yesterday and the delear in Chennai said it would be 10.5L OTR. Is it 1L difference from Chennai and Pune? And did you get any discounts? The dealer here said there is absolutely no discounts. He was like "We dont give any discounts as the demand is high! and if want discount go to other dealers "!

Last edited by mail4loys : 20th February 2011 at 15:27.
mail4loys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 17:17   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
We just booked Xylo E8 top model (black colour) yesterday and the delear in Chennai said it would be 10.5L OTR. Is it 1L difference from Chennai and Pune? And did you get any discounts? The dealer here said there is absolutely no discounts. He was like "We dont give any discounts as the demand is high! and if want discount go to other dealers "!
You can always try other dealers and choose the best deal. tell them that you will be buying the car if you think the dealer has offered considerate amount of discounts and if not, you will try some other dealer.