Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 18th February 2011, 16:51   #76
BHPian

Default Re: Conspiracy Theory Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
CESC, which segment do you drive ? You see, Sedans have a boot behind the rear wheels. It blocks all the water spray being thrown upwards around the wheel wells and mud flaps. So they don't really need the rear wash+wipe.

In case of Hatches (& many SUVs due to their higher GC), this spray - Those micro drops with soil - covers up the rear windshield 100% in 5 minutes at 80 kmph. This severly degrades the visibility via IRVM in monsoons. Thats where the rear wash+Wipe comes in handy. Take my word on that, it makes a HUGE difference.

Remember the good old Accent VIVA? It had a shorter boot, and elongated slanted rear glass that came to the end of the boot. She needed a rear wiper, and had it thus...

OT - make that 3 using office time well...
Ahh .. so now I understand. Never experienced it, so failed to understand its utility. I drive an Octy which has a pretty slanted rear windshield (rear visibility is pretty poor if you ask me) but never experienced any problems. Also drove a Zen for a couple of years but did not experience anything like that. Maybe something to do with this part of the world. Thanks for the explanation though. Makes sense.

OT .. Lots of productive Friday employees on the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajero4me View Post
While I was frantically writing code on a Friday after noon (No i was'nt snoring ), suddenly this conspiracy theory came to my mind.

At the time of buying my fabia Elegance ,Polo Tdi higline (top end) cost was roughly 10-15K (on ex-showroom) more than Fabia.
Now Polo Tdi has 16 inch Alloys, 185/60 tyres,Rear Washer Wiper (Sorry Cesc let me use those terms one last time,I promise ) and defogger.
All this for a mere 10K+.
Was VW being stepmotherly with Skoda,Pushing their sinister Polo Agenda?? Armtwisting Skoda into trimming essential features so that it is placed intentionally below Polo ??
Now they have made Fabia a real good Hatch,but just short of being the Best.Looks like my Fabia is poor Cindrella with Stepmother VW pushing her cousin Polo with all bells and frills.
O boy! You are good at multitasking. I will give you that. Writing codes and at the same time cooking up complex 'conspiracy theories'. 'Sinister Polo agenda'
Cesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2011, 17:20   #77
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My Gleaming Black Skoda Fabia 1.2 TDi CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivir View Post
@ Reinhard - While what youre saying seems extremely valid, this is my third hatch and honestly, it has not made that much of a difference - One zen I drove for a bit had all of the rear wash and wipe and all but I used it twice in 12 months! So I am not so sure if it really that useful. Also, I think the defogger is the useful part of that set. The wash and wipe is a good to have but not a must have.

@Ajay - Engine is the same and is tuned for similar performance, so I am not too sure there is that much of a difference - inside the cabin anyway. And the Skoda blows the VW away on space inside - not only on the Fabia but pretty much on all cars!
Yes shivir - its individual perception really. Depends on how much you refer to the IRVM really . I for once tend to see in the mirror more than front windshield...May be because I'm too slow mostly .

If there is noise difference, it would probably only be inside the cabin & that would attribute to insulation differences. Otherwise I dont see a reason why a virtually identical mill will cough more under one bonnet.
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2011, 18:04   #78
BHPian

Default Re: Conspiracy Theory Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivir View Post
BTW - Planning to upgrade ICE this or next weekend - will let you guys know how that goes.
Be 'EXTREMELY' guarded on that buddy.There is lot at stake.4 years of Warranty!!!
Make sure that you dont meddle with any of thier circuitary or electronics.
I was told by a Skoda service supervisor that they check the entire wiring / electronics for faults and its very easy for them to find alterations (May be they check the impedance, i'm guessing).
(Meanwhile i had an aborted attempt on fixing rear speakers.Fixed them,Later removed them and had to bribe someone to remove all evidences from the scene of crime, all this for the sake of retaining my warranty ).
Note:ICE supplied with Fabia does not have pin outs for rear speakers.

Last edited by pajero4me : 18th February 2011 at 18:08.
pajero4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 15:29   #79
Senior - BHPian

^^ My friend has a Fabia and he dropped the plans for rear speakers. It seems wiring is complicated and getting it done via Skoda is very expensive. Getting it done outside will void the warranty due to wire cuts.

Please double-check before your proceed.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 21:17   #80
BHPian

Planning to upgrade the front speakers first with some nice components. Will see what theyre doing and stop them if they need to cut any wires. I spoke to my dealer and he said that as long as they dont cut wires its cool. Lets see how it works out.
shivir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 22:27   #81
BHPian

I have a pair of JBL 2-way component spekers installed in the rear. Had consulted my dealer first reg. warranty, and the set I planned to install. Was there throughout the installation, no wires were cut. Skoda-Dance had slots for the rear speakers, dont know about Skoda-Beat though.

@shivir: in case you sit through the installation, can you check what make the music system is. My sales guy was raving about the music system as Bosch. When rear speakers were installed, i noticed that the sticker on the rear of the system read some crazy German name which I could not remember for long, but also said Made in Germany.

Last edited by 2cents : 19th February 2011 at 22:32.
2cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 12:55   #82
RJK
Senior - BHPian

^^2Cents,

Can you guide me as to how much is the diameter of the speakers that fit in the slot? I also plan on fitting compo's at the rear on my new Fabia (which I'm getting soon ). Which ones did you buy, JBL or ??

@ Pajero4me,

I hope you're enjoying your car. I also intend to get this same engine since I feel its more than adequate. I'm getting the ambiente version and I'm in doubt if I should opt for Skoda shield as I intend to install speakers at the rear. The rep says that Ambiente comes with 4 speakers up front and provision for ICE. One dealer says warranty void if I put ICE from outside, other guy says its fine. How do you find the stock speakers that are there in the front ?
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 21:51   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
@ Pajero4me,
I hope you're enjoying your car. I also intend to get this same engine since I feel its more than adequate. I'm getting the ambiente version and I'm in doubt if I should opt for Skoda shield as I intend to install speakers at the rear. The rep says that Ambiente comes with 4 speakers up front and provision for ICE. One dealer says warranty void if I put ICE from outside, other guy says its fine. How do you find the stock speakers that are there in the front ?
hello RJK,
Yes i'm indeed having a blast with her. So much to the extent that I still behave like a teenager with his fist bike. Waiting for simplest of reasons to take her out.
As you are aware, Ambiente does not have an ICE, but has two tweeters and conical speakers installed in the front. No wiring is present for rear speakers. Front spakers (according to me) are good enough to play some decent music. But itís a different story if you are one of those connoisseurs of extreme quality. Speakers of diameter up to 6 inches should fit in properly. But you have to mount them on spacers as they tend to touch the window glasses. Front speakers are company riveted and removal could be slightly messy. Since you donít have ICE from Skoda I feel itís slightly less risky for you to have rear speakers and ICE installed. Make sure that you get it done from some real professionals, ask them questions like from where do they tap power, do they sleeve wires ect.If they sleeve wires, thatís it, you are in for some serious trouble with warranty.
Most important!! At no instance leave you car unattended when the work is done, It takes only a second to get a wire sleeved.
PS: With all this Gyan I still ran into some trouble and had to remove my rear speakers
Old 28th February 2011, 22:27   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
^^2Cents,

Can you guide me as to how much is the diameter of the speakers that fit in the slot? I also plan on fitting compo's at the rear on my new Fabia (which I'm getting soon ). Which ones did you buy, JBL or ??
I have JBL GT5-265C speakers installed. I think it has 6.5 inch dia. Sound quality was good as it is, so wanted only a pair of coaxials, but could not find one the day I installed. Since I did it in the same place with seat covers got a good discount, and saved time doint both togather. Cost me roughly 4000/-. As a precaution, have a word with your dealer reg. warranty before you do anything.
2cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 20:17   #85
BHPian

Default Embarking on my First Long drive

Going to Native,Roughly 380 KMS.
NICE ROAD -> Mysore Road -> Mysore -> Hunsur -> Gundalpet -> Bandipur Forest -> Sulthan Bathaery -> Lakkiddi -> The Famous challenging Wayanad Hairpins -> Adivaram -> Calicut (Aaah!! finally home after a Loooong while)
Looking forward towards having some Malabar Biriyani and other costal delicacies....

Will post All details with Photographs soon.(Mileage,drive and all other technical aspects included)

Need to go and sleep now,Wake at 3:30 and Leave at 4:00 (Hope fully )
Bye for now.
Old 15th March 2011, 10:02   #86
MK3
BHPian

Shivir, pajero4me, 2cents, guha_2001, all of you are my inspiration to check out fabia. My travel includes 1000 km/month, hence going for a petrol vehicle seems to be a right choice. The cars i have finalized are Maruti Suzuki Ritz Zxi and Skoda Fabia 1.2 MPFI Ambiente, according to my budget. I could not find reviews for 1.2 Petrol Ambiente. If you could throw some light on it, it would be help me in making the decision whether to go for it or not.
MK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 13:14   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK3 View Post
Shivir, pajero4me, 2cents, guha_2001, all of you are my inspiration to check out fabia. My travel includes 1000 km/month, hence going for a petrol vehicle seems to be a right choice. The cars i have finalized are Maruti Suzuki Ritz Zxi and Skoda Fabia 1.2 MPFI Ambiente, according to my budget. I could not find reviews for 1.2 Petrol Ambiente. If you could throw some light on it, it would be help me in making the decision whether to go for it or not.
Hey MK3 - Glad to be of assistance. I did test drive the 1.2 and was quite impressed with it. The ride and handling characteristics remain great and the braking is quite sharp too. I think it is a great car for city driving and wont be a slouch on the highway either. The 1.2 Ambiente would leave you a few feature short, but nothing too drastic. I do recommend you take it for a test drive and see whether it works for you. The Ritz will get you all the famed Suzuki traits and is also a great car. Also the Ritz engine is more modern and will therefore perform at a lower cost. Drive both and figure out what makes you happier. I would, however, pick the fabia 1.2 over even the swift, but thats just me.
shivir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 01:35   #88
Senior - BHPian

Hi Pajero4me

Let me congratulate very belatedly for the gleaming black Fabia. I have always like the Fabia more than its cousin the Polo, even if it may be a little older than the current Polo platform. It has the same engines, nicer interiors (personal choice) and comparable (if not better) ride and handling from what I have read.

Needless to say, the car looks nice although I was never very impressed with the rear end (the only thing that I feel Skoda could have improved). I wish you many happy thousands of kilometres with this car and minimum visits to the friendly neighbourhood Service center.
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 19:54   #89
BHPian

Just one query sir, how is the in cabin sound insulation? Is it quite or do u hear the diesel clatter or the tyre noise. I love the cabin interiors but looking out for a diesel hatchback thats super silent inside. Also when fully loaded with passengers does it get sluggish or does it have enough torque to cruise smoothly.
fastraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 19:52   #90
BHPian

My first post on these forums..YAY!!!

@ Pajero4me, any long term ownership update for your Fabia?

I am looking to buy a new diesel hatch by April, have already done booking for Swift ZDI in early December. However, after recently driving Fabia 1.2 TDI of a friend, I am having second thoughts. Marutis' double price hike since that booking is certainly not helping: with ZDI now being 7 lacs OTR. If you could share your experience so far, particularly service costs, it would be very helpful in my decision making. I am aware of Skodas' alleged poor service experience but willing to go ahead provided the after sales costs are manageable.

And, keep up the brilliant work folks!! Just to give a measure of my 'Team-BHP' addiction, I have 8-9 tabs always open at all times in one dedicated window....just for Team-BHP
PremjitS is offline   Reply With Quote