Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 27th February 2011, 01:48   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Driven: W 140 Mercedes Benz S 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmirchia View Post
Lovely to see such passion. We should talk sometime, maybe as Mercedes enthusiasts if not about the car that WAS on sale. (Oh, and the advt. in the classifieds has been up for more than a week now.)
So which S class do you currently own?
As long as we're on the topic of W140 vs the W220 and 221, here's an excerpt from the Internet itself, something that I read a long time ago and just couldn't forget; but every word of this is a 100% true and verified.

"Depending on the equipment ordered and model designation, the W140 may sport from 12 up to 22 computers. All of them communicate between each other via a detailed BUS-CAN. The new S-classes basically have one major computer which controls everything. Pretty convenient, but if it fails, your grounded! The W140 is more complicated, due to the technology available at the time.

The computers follow from 3,800 up to 6,000+ paramenters per second. They check the readings, shared the appropiate information with other computers, adjust themselves and if necessary provide assitance to other systems and/or shut down themselves.

All techs swear on sacred ground that the computers on all W140s are extremely reliable, they seldom fail, and if they do, they are easily exchangeable. Unlike computer systems on W220/221s.

Besides telling you that the rear left door 57 days ago raised the window with an stress force of 85% on the motor, stopped with the safe-mode halfway through and then it continued up with a lesser 23% stress, the detailed OBD report can tell you the most amazing things. You just have to know where to look for.

And ALL these detailed information is available for almost every system: engine, transmission, accessories, electrical, radio, etc......

One more example:

The V-12 S 600, due to its high speed capabilities, monitors constantly tire pressure through the ABS/ASR system (not via an air pressure system like modern cars do). If the computers senses that the tires are more than 20% under inflated, they will limit the rev-counter to 3,500 r.p.m., not allowing the car to high speed."
I have the W221 S350. Dont get me wrong, its a lovely car and everything. But it just....seems more "Politically Correct" than W140. I dont know what visual trickery the mercedes designers used to make it look so menacing, but i am surprised BMW sold a single 7 series in all the years this was in production! This goes doubly so for a pre-facelift S600.

Those are some fantastic facts. Just makes me lust after it more!

In fact, when in the states, I bought a 1997 w202 C230 kompressor only for its mini W140 looks.
tvrspeed12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2011, 14:36   #32
BHPian

iv driven the w140. guys this car is a dream. its simply is perfect. the design and luxury levels are so precise that you do not wish for anything more and yet it does not overwhelm you. Marvelous engineering. it oozes supremacy and Germany. Just in love with the w140 series special the post face lift S600 v12 that comes in LWB. the suspension is only smoother in a w124 series Merc but everything else is the best in the w140. the steering wheel is the lightest ever driven at low speeds and yet rock solid at highway speeds. the sense of security and protection is the most comforting of all. One genuinely feels its a car that cares for you. its a very emotional feeling this car gives.
I remember while exiting from a film fare awards function when i was a child, a couple of w140 series went by very very slowly due to traffic and all i could here standing less than a feet away from them was a gaseous hiss from under the car and they just slid/glided past. the S500 was the car to have in those days. Todays cars cost so much but yet do not give this sense of happiness in owning/using them. pitty the people who owned it once and sold their w140 away.

Last edited by agent4ferrari : 27th February 2011 at 14:42.
agent4ferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2011, 19:10   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrspeed12 View Post
I have the W221 S350. Dont get me wrong, its a lovely car and everything. But it just....seems more "Politically Correct" than W140. I dont know what visual trickery the mercedes designers used to make it look so menacing, but i am surprised BMW sold a single 7 series in all the years this was in production! This goes doubly so for a pre-facelift S600.

Those are some fantastic facts. Just makes me lust after it more!

In fact, when in the states, I bought a 1997 w202 C230 kompressor only for its mini W140 looks.
I'm sure the W221 must be a NICE car, and it ought to be, considering what you have to pay for one. I personally never liked the slanted oddly-compressed kind of feeling the W202 lights gave. I'd rather have a 124 for the mini 140 feel and look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent4ferrari View Post
pitty the people who owned it once and sold their w140 away.
One of those would be me.

Oh and a little off-topic but fun facts nonetheless:
A new 600SEL back in 1992 cost about 128,000 USD which if you factor in inflation comes out to be a little over 200,000 USD (Bring one into India and that means you're looking at approximately Rs. 1,90,00,000). And the W221 costs a measly Rs. 95,10,460 (for the S500L). No offense to any W221 owners but you can see where the cost-cutting is.
kmirchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 12:00   #34
BHPian

debate over w140 & w220 is ok,but 221 has surely come back to mercedes standards,
the w220 looked more like a korean car with the compromise of quality seen n the cars,w140 is a complete different breed with alot of effort put in to make it the best luxury car of its times,i never felt like buying a new germancar after driving my 140,as somebody rightly said here,it makes everybody feel that it has arrived,
i have a habit of cleaning my windsheild before i start my trip when i am on the highway,once i was at a resort waiting for water to clean my winsheild,as soon as i started cleaning it the driver from a parked bmw 5 series near by came & told me"saab mein kartha hu,aap bethiye"(sir you please sit i would do it for you),he was a stranger,it was not my personality that commands respect but the BIG DADDY itself
i am loving it every moment
nandishpal is offline   Reply With Quote