Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 23rd February 2011, 16:00   #16
BHPian

Default Re: My own T90, the Fiat Grande Punto 90 HP

Hearty Congrats Ramesh. I have my heart set on this vehicle in case I decide to go for a hatch. From what I have gathered, the 90 HP variant is best enjoyed on highways, and that's what you seem to be doing.
I noticed you got Autoform seat covers. Nice choice I must say, we got the same for an ANHC and a Verna a couple of weeks back, and were very please with the final outcome once the covers were in place.
Old 23rd February 2011, 17:08   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default Update on upgradation of ICE

I am a novice in this area and needed an expert advice on the same. I headed straight to Power Zone, Royapettah in Chennai. Met Mr. Saravana and he is extremely good and knowledgable. On seeing the T-BHP stickers on my car, he understood what my expectation would be and gave me clear explanation on how ICE can be upgraded. Given my budget (I had 15-20k Max in my mind) he gave me two options.

1. Upgrade the front speakers to Components. This is less expensive and would fit within my budget.
2. Upgrade front speakers to Components with an Amp installation. He suggested for Focal Amp and Focal components. Total cost would be near to 25k. Sub can be reserved for the future installation.

After a brief thinking I decided to go with option 2 and upgraded with Focal Amp (4 Channel) and components.

Result
Very Good. The audio output has now become very crisp. Mr. Saravana told me that it would become excellent after the initial run-in. May be after 10 hrs of running or so.

Last edited by rameshnanda : 23rd February 2011 at 17:29.
Old 23rd February 2011, 17:57   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
Congrats Ramesh. The red 90hp Punto look gorgeous.
Please post more pictures, as its a visual treat to look at the gorgeous Punto from any angle.

Happy motoring and drive safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Thats indeed a handsome red number
Congratulations Ramesh!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SankalpDesai View Post
Congratulations Ramesh.

Please do post some internal pics, especially with the new seat covers. Punto 90 HP is a fabulous choice.

I also liked your narration for the selection process. Looking forward to your updates on ICE upgradation on your beauty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Congrats Ramesh on the Most powerful hatch in its category (read as per FM ads).

Enjoy many more happy miles with the Punto.
Thank you bnzjon, vb-san, SankalpDesai, nkrishnap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyasagar View Post
Many Congratulations Ramesh,

welcome to the GP brotherhood. The negatives you have observed on the car till now will magically disappear soon. The car opens up after about 3000 km. The fun in punto actually begins after 70 kmph, all the way till 140ish..i'am sure that 90 HP machine will easily make it till 170 odd.

Make a note of all the rattles or misfits that you observe, so that you can get these rectified during I service.

Always wear seat belt and drive safe.
Thanks Vidyasagar. Yes. I too hope that the engine will perform well after the 1st service. I will keep this thread updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia View Post
Congrats Ramesh!!

wow! that is one detailed and lengty buying and initial ownership review! enjoyed every bith of reading it!

hopefully the small niggles will resolve in the first service. The ground clearence issue is a concern. is a solution to resolve it!?
Thanks Mafia. I don't know if there is a solution to the GC issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Hearty Congrats Ramesh. I have my heart set on this vehicle in case I decide to go for a hatch. From what I have gathered, the 90 HP variant is best enjoyed on highways, and that's what you seem to be doing.
I noticed you got Autoform seat covers. Nice choice I must say, we got the same for an ANHC and a Verna a couple of weeks back, and were very please with the final outcome once the covers were in place.
Thanks. You are right. As I have put it in my review, this car is just a breeze to drive on highways.
Old 23rd February 2011, 19:27   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Thank you bnzjon, vb-san, SankalpDesai, nkrishnap.

Thanks Vidyasagar. Yes. I too hope that the engine will perform well after the 1st service. I will keep this thread updated.

Thanks Mafia. I don't know if there is a solution to the GC issue.

Thanks. You are right. As I have put it in my review, this car is just a breeze to drive on highways.

Oh. Did you change the player as well? I am very concerned about the player since the car looks really good inside with the orange lighting. Any tamering would spoil the interiors is what i am concerned about.
Old 23rd February 2011, 22:47   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbertramps View Post
Oh. Did you change the player as well? I am very concerned about the player since the car looks really good inside with the orange lighting. Any tamering would spoil the interiors is what i am concerned about.
No. I did not change the player. Changing the player would have made audio controls on the steering useless. I have just installed an Amp and front components.

Here are some pictures of it.
My own T90, the Fiat Grande Punto 90 HP-au1.jpg
My own T90, the Fiat Grande Punto 90 HP-au2.jpg
My own T90, the Fiat Grande Punto 90 HP-au3.jpg
Old 23rd February 2011, 23:35   #21
Senior - BHPian

Default Photo shoot of my car

Here are some of the photos that I picked from my photo shoot.

Disclaimer:- I am not a professional photographer .
Attached Thumbnails
My own T90, the Fiat Grande Punto 90 HP-im1.jpg  

My own T90, the Fiat Grande Punto 90 HP-im2.jpg  

My own T90, the Fiat Grande Punto 90 HP-im3.jpg  

My own T90, the Fiat Grande Punto 90 HP-im4.jpg  

My own T90, the Fiat Grande Punto 90 HP-im5.jpg  

My own T90, the Fiat Grande Punto 90 HP-im6.jpg  

My own T90, the Fiat Grande Punto 90 HP-im7.jpg  

My own T90, the Fiat Grande Punto 90 HP-im8.jpg  

My own T90, the Fiat Grande Punto 90 HP-im9.jpg  

My own T90, the Fiat Grande Punto 90 HP-im10.jpg  

My own T90, the Fiat Grande Punto 90 HP-im13.jpg  

My own T90, the Fiat Grande Punto 90 HP-im14.jpg  

Old 24th February 2011, 03:40   #22
BHPian

Love the color, car looks stunning, Congratulations Bud!!!!!!!!!
Old 24th February 2011, 11:04   #23
Senior - BHPian

Just Stunning!!

Love that steering...wish I can fit the same on my Vista.

The photo with the parking lights ON is the best of all.

Congrats again. Enjoy the beauty and wishing you a long and happy journey with her.
Old 25th February 2011, 12:22   #24
Senior - BHPian

I have completed 2000 kms today .

I am still having the front door rattling and the steering wobbling issue. I am planning to take this to TASC during first service.
Old 25th February 2011, 13:15   #25
BHPian

Superb car n flashy colourt too,liked ur seat cover really-it goes very well with the body colour.
About rattelling sound -are u sure it is coming from the door,may be from the co driver seat coz i had this issue in linea n the taffe people just simply tighten the screw of the seat clamb n it's gone(but the sound again started coming after couple of thousand kms).
About the ice - yes components +amp will be ok but wht abt back speaker, are they same..coz your cost 20k is not matching for 4 components n amp.
Old 25th February 2011, 14:47   #26
BHPian

Congrats on the car. Awesome photos. What sunfilm do you have on the windows and the windscreen? Regarding the wobbling issue, I think I saw a couple of bhpians complaining the same on the official test drive thread. Some interior pics with the seatcovers are awaited...
Old 25th February 2011, 15:27   #27
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful car and a nice crisp review. Congrats.

But I have to say, those mudflaps ............. HORRID. Simply do not suit the car, not one bit. I do not understand why Fiat cannot provide a decent set of mud flaps. This is the very reason I do not have mudflaps on my Linea.
Old 25th February 2011, 23:33   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunu AMG View Post
Superb car n flashy colourt too,liked ur seat cover really-it goes very well with the body colour.
About rattelling sound -are u sure it is coming from the door,may be from the co driver seat coz i had this issue in linea n the taffe people just simply tighten the screw of the seat clamb n it's gone(but the sound again started coming after couple of thousand kms).
About the ice - yes components +amp will be ok but wht abt back speaker, are they same..coz your cost 20k is not matching for 4 components n amp.
I am quite sure that the noise is coming from the door. I will anyway audit it again.

No. I haven't yet touched the back speaker. It is still the stock speakers :(.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praz View Post
Congrats on the car. Awesome photos. What sunfilm do you have on the windows and the windscreen? Regarding the wobbling issue, I think I saw a couple of bhpians complaining the same on the official test drive thread. Some interior pics with the seatcovers are awaited...
Thanks praz. CS20 for the windows and rear. CR70 for the windshield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Beautiful car and a nice crisp review. Congrats.

But I have to say, those mudflaps ............. HORRID. Simply do not suit the car, not one bit. I do not understand why Fiat cannot provide a decent set of mud flaps. This is the very reason I do not have mudflaps on my Linea.
Thanks Urban_Nomad.
Mmm. Let me think about this (mudflaps).

Last edited by rameshnanda : 25th February 2011 at 23:40.
Old 28th February 2011, 11:41   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
The ODO in my Car is showing 1800 Kms while I write this Initial ownership report. About half of this was done on the highway during the trip to my native town.

As I have mentioned earlier I have never driven a Diesel before. And, I am not an expert to comment about engine and its performance at this time. Still, I can provide my feedback about the car. When I drove the car for the first time, I felt that the punch was missing in my car unlike the one we did the test drive at Concorde motors. The test drive vehicle did accelerate well and I did not feel any lack of power. I felt that my vehicle is very different. I hope things will improve as I clock more miles and the engine opens up as mentioned by other Punto owners in the forum.

The first 2 gears were very boring and things improve once I switch to the third gear. I understood and felt the Turbo lag after driving the car for couple of days after delivery. As pointed out by others there is definitely a lack of outright performance. But, there is a drastic improvement once we go past 1700-1800 RPM. One good aspect I noticed is that I am not shifting gears frequently in the city traffic. This should be because of the linear delivery of power. I couldn't compare 90 HP version to that of 76 HP. I have not driven 76 HP version recently and I just test drove only the 90 HP.

A brief highway report
I drove to my native town (Salem) from Chennai, a week after taking the delivery. I decided to take the route, Chennai-Krishnagiri-Salem. The total distance was around 375 Kms. And I was able to reach Salem in 5 hours with 2 brief stops. I maintained the speed at 80-100 KMPH. Occasionally I reached 3000 RPM level and kept at 2500 constantly. Through out my journey to Salem, I was able to spot only one Punto (a KA registered 90 HP version) on the highway. The return journey took me 5.5 hrs due to heavy traffic from Sriperumbuthur. On the whole, I can say that it was a breeze to drive this machine on the highway.

Fuel Efficiency
I didn't record for the efficiency seperately for city and highway. I will do it in coming days. With about 70% highway and 30% city I got about 17.5 KMPL with 100% (Temperature was set at 22'C).

Things I like about the Car
- Looks. Ever since I bought the car, I feel like my car has a road presence always. When I brought the car to my home after the delivery, the very next day, I was congratulated by some of my neighbours and they admired its looks.
- Highway Performance. Its just amazing even without revving beyond 3000 RPM. This vehicle is definitely a Highway cruiser.
- Ride and handling. Its known fact. Still I have to mention it. It handles bad roads effortlessly.
- Braking.
- Auto A/c. I am just enjoying the Automatic climate control in the Car.
- Steering.
- Blue&Me. I am new to this and just enjoying this feature.
- Other things - Electric ORVMs, Light provided in the Boot.

Things which I don't like
- Cramped footwell. There was actually no room for dead pedal at all. It was just fixed too close to the clutch and I feel difficult to switch between the dead pedal and the clutch. My previous car Getz was far better in this aspect.
- Thick A-Pillars. It definitely limits the visibility on the curvy roads. There is a curvy stretch before I reach my home and I am finding it difficult evertime I pass through this stretch.
- Ergonomics. I couldn't find a comfortable seating position immediately. It took me almost a week to find a comfortable seating. Initially I got pain on my upper right side shoulder.
- Ground Clearance. My car already got hit quite a few times on bad patches/Speed breakers. I didn't have much issues with Getz. In my four year ownership, I hardly had issues.
- Music System. How I can miss this? The one which is given in the car is just a crap . I had a Alpine music system with JBL components in my Getz. The one which is given in Punto, I don't even feel like using it.

Some comparison between my current car and my previous car Getz
- Gear shifting was much more smoother in Getz. I am not saying its bad in Punto.
- I enjoyed more space in Getz. Punto has less space compared to Getz.
- Getz will struggle in highways beyond 120 KMPH. But, this car has just stunned me. The car was willing to move faster and faster.

Problems faced so far
- I hear some sort of 'creech' noise from the front left door. This needs to be fixed.
- The steering wobbles after 90 KMPH but its reduced at 120 KMPH. I guess there may be a balancing issue.

As I have mentioned earlier, I have done sun films and the seat covers for my Car. The next in line is upgradation of ICE. I am completely not satisfied with the quality of the Audio in Punto.

Hey brother i have a 76HP punto its good giving 15-16kmpl FE on Highways + City coz need to pust it more bcoz of low power. Rather i had it tuned to 90 HP & now life is better.

For ICE i just upgraded the speakers to Hertz Millie Series 5 1/2" (OE fitment type) Components with Sosche Dampening to all four doors trust me its super amazing effect u dont need a AMP to power them and crisp bass like a small woofer has been installed. Will be upgrading to a Small woofer very soon.
Old 28th February 2011, 19:37   #30
Senior - BHPian

"calorose felicitazioni " (italian for hearty congratulations),the punto is definitely a good car,i always had an attraction towards fiat,i was about to buy the fiat punto,but dad is a hardcore maruti loyalist,so opted for the swift vdi(best of both worlds,maruti with a fiat engine),the multijet is a league of its own.

Happy dieseling.
Closed Thread