Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2011, 12:09   #91
Senior - BHPian
 
aniketi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,263
Thanked: 707 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Kizashi 2.4 CVT: Test Drive and Review

Just a one question here :

If this car would have been from Honda or Toyota, people still would have said its costly? Because its from Maruti, i guess people are saying its costly. Same happened with Aria as well. Its a good car, people accepts but say its costly. If same would have been from any german manufacturer, people would have said its cheap
'
Just my thoughts. Nothing personal.
aniketi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 12:33   #92
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: -
Posts: 4,703
Thanked: 3,674 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Kizashi 2.4 CVT: Test Drive and Review

Thanks for the appreciation and 5* rating guys!

Right now on a tight schedule, so will reply to all queries by mid next week.

Cheers
sid
sidindica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 12:44   #93
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,142
Thanked: 1,581 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Kizashi 2.4 CVT: Test Drive and Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle
Having driven one, i can vouch for this, it doesn't belongs to accord/camry segment in terms of space, quality, drive, performance(quite near yet far).
Space yes. But the other factors look like they are just added for the sake of argument, especially the drive and performance part. And if the K is quite near yet far to the Accord, how would you term the performance of Civic to the K ? Maybe "quite far, yet near" ?

BTW, the point I have made (even in the other thread with a comparo chart) was just that the K tends more towards the Accord than it does to the Civic. To clarify, if I were looking at the Kizashi, the other cars in contention would be the Accord and Camry, not a Civic or Corolla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle
Apart from that in all other areas including sales, services, availability, resale, image, it clearly falls short of accord/camry/sonata.
Hmm. The car has not yet rolled out here, but you already wrote it off as a resale disaster. And I would love to know how great the resale of a Sonata is. Heck it does not even sell, so what is the question of resale. And what issues do you see with availability and services for the K?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle
And i also felt its overpriced for what it offers in India, and many members seem to agree here including the OP. While i won't want a difference of 4 lakhs, i would certainly like to see a couple of lakhs less than current pricing. With Indo-Japan agreement, i hope that happens in near future.
While most agree that the price could have been 1.5 - 2 lakhs lower, the OP went overboard with the 4-lakhs part. Maybe the agreement will help prices come down and a good car would get its due in the market.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 12:57   #94
Senior - BHPian
 
chevelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: sacto
Posts: 1,290
Thanked: 503 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Kizashi 2.4 CVT: Test Drive and Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Space yes. But the other factors look like they are just added for the sake of argument, especially the drive and performance part. And if the K is quite near yet far to the Accord, how would you term the performance of Civic to the K ? Maybe "quite far, yet near" ?

Hmm. The car has not yet rolled out here, but you already wrote it off as a resale disaster. And I would love to know how great the resale of a Sonata is. Heck it does not even sell, so what is the question of resale. And what issues do you see with availability and services for the K?

.
All my points are made in respect to USA's sales and service network. And its a known fact it doesn't enjoy a great resale here. New sonata has similar resale as accord/camry.

And its a fact that premium sedans like this don't enjoy a good resale in India too. You know that, we have seen plenty of accords for less price on t-bhp.

While you may feel i added other points for argument sakes, its very important for me to consider a car as a whole(interior quality, space, drive, efficiency, ftd, living with it) and not only the engine and performance. So it looks like your requirements or thinking when buying a car is different than mine. You seem to be stuck on performance only, while i give importance to all aspects.

If you feel civic's 0-60 mph of 7.7s is quite far, yet near to kizashi's 7.5 second time, then i have nothing to say except, get your facts right.

source(civic): http://www.caranddriver.com/features...20_000-feature
source(kizashi): http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ad_test_update

man its just 0.2s of difference. You can't be serious when you say 'quite far, yet near'. If i put in a Civic Si, it will blow the covers of kizashi with a 7 second timing.

Last edited by chevelle : 25th February 2011 at 13:12.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 13:02   #95
BHPian
 
Mafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BLR MCT
Posts: 427
Thanked: 50 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Kizashi 2.4 CVT: Test Drive and Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Just a one question here :

If this car would have been from Honda or Toyota, people still would have said its costly? Because its from Maruti, i guess people are saying its costly. Same happened with Aria as well. Its a good car, people accepts but say its costly. If same would have been from any german manufacturer, people would have said its cheap
'
Just my thoughts. Nothing personal.


I thinks this can be best explained as the 'snob' value. The branding has a mojor impact on the pricing. Same goes for Bata and Nike comparision!

If this were launced by Merc or BMW, it would have been a bargain!
Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 13:13   #96
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,142
Thanked: 1,581 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Kizashi 2.4 CVT: Test Drive and Review

@chevelle, I thought we are discussing the Kizashi launch in India. BTW, Suzuki is almost non-existent in the US (in all my trips, I have seen more Hyundais than Suzukis) so the K would follow that line in sales, which is the opposite of Suzuki's presence here in India.

I agree that people buy a car with many factors in mind. Just that you seem to be negating the K on all counts - even those where it does good.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 13:18   #97
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: -
Posts: 4,703
Thanked: 3,674 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Kizashi 2.4 CVT: Test Drive and Review

Some quick key factors:
  • Mistaken by my comment on 4 lakh rupees price difference, I revise to two lakhs. The OTR price was high so taken into consideration.
  • As compared top the vitara, this kizashi motor is smooooooooth yet raspy and sporty. Revving it is tremendous fun. The vitara was also driven prior to that but the motor seemed unrefined compared to kizashi. If you want, I'll drive the vitara 2.4 again and compare.
  • Personally if I have to choose between the accord and kizashi, accord if you are chauffeur driven, kizashi if self driven. I am mostly self driven, so I'll pick up the kizashi for my use. Simply because of compact understated design, strong engine plus transmission combo (maybe manual for fun and high revving), balanced ride and handling and Maruti's service. But, it has to be priced between 14.5 top 15 lakhs, not more than that, ex showroom. The accord and superb have simply grown up and are leviathans by comparison. Yes, there are FTD skoda diesels but this motor is also too good.
  • A little known but interesting fact was that at one time during the global economic crisis, the Kizashi programme was also cancelled by suzuki, but after 5 months, it was revived and the car saw the light of the day. Don't expect a second generation of this car in any time whatsoever.
sidindica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 13:54   #98
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 162
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Kizashi 2.4 CVT: Test Drive and Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
If you feel civic's 0-60 mph of 7.7s is quite far, yet near to kizashi's 7.5 second time, then i have nothing to say except, get your facts right.
Not sure about the state of tune of the Civic in the US, but the stock Indian Civic is not a very fast car, and it certainly can't do 0-60 mph (more or less same as 0-100 kmph) in anything like 7.5 secs. In fact, it is a good 2 more seconds than that. Civic may be fun to drive but you can't really call it quick, not at least in comparison with the Kizashi.

Refer article: Honda Civic 1.8 S MT specification - Know Honda Civic 1.8 S MT specs in India | CarDekho.com

Kizashi (MT anyway) is faster to the ton than Accord, Sonata, Camry, Laura TSI, Altis, Civic, Cruze and what have you (all Indian stock models by the way). AFAIK Kizashi MT is the only one in this gang that can get to a 100 kph from standstill in less than 8 seconds!

I think comparing the Kizashi to Civic/Altis on most parameters is quite unfair - It is definitely a segment above these cars. When I started following the launch of this car in India almost 6-8 months back, the value prop to my mind was Accord spec car at Civic like price from Suzuki stable, which sounded mouth-watering, but clearly the story has taken its turn another way.
skjlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 13:57   #99
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 75
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Kizashi 2.4 CVT: Test Drive and Review

Cant see many people calling it a Suzuki as opposed to a maruti

One question though, does it hold the revs in manual mode or does it auto-shift one's it is near the red-line?
Caramba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 15:02   #100
Senior - BHPian
 
romeomidhun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,589
Thanked: 1,794 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Kizashi 2.4 CVT: Test Drive and Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by skjlives View Post
Accord spec car at Civic like price from Suzuki stable
Good expectation. But isn't it too much to ask for?
romeomidhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 15:05   #101
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,233
Thanked: 338 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Kizashi 2.4 CVT: Test Drive and Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post


Built at Suzuki's plant in Sagara, Japan, the build quality and finish is of a very high order, the best yet seen in a Suzuki.
Great review sidindica.

One clarification. Is this not being made in India? Is this the reason for the high price point?
amitwlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 15:18   #102
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,626
Thanked: 3,675 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Kizashi 2.4 CVT: Test Drive and Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
One clarification. Is this not being made in India? Is this the reason for the high price point?
It is a CBU...Direct import from Japan.
And yes, thats one definite reason for the high price point. And I remember GTO mentioning (in elsewhere thread) that the being a CBU will result in higher On-Road price as well.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 15:27   #103
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 162
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Kizashi 2.4 CVT: Test Drive and Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Good expectation. But isn't it too much to ask for?
Yes, but we customers have the right to ask, right? And in a value-conscious society like ours, anything isn't too much to ask

Btw - SX4, is a very capable car - good engine, great space, appropriate GC, reasonable driving manners and fair amount of road presence. But a Honda Jazz (perhaps you'll agree that it belongs to a segment lower) sells for more than what SX4 does. Point is, Maruti/Suzuki have to compete on price and give phenomenal value if they want to have their products considered seriously.

Anyway, 10% more than Civic would have been OK for me to pay for Kizashi, 10% lower than Accord is not.
skjlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 16:44   #104
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,142
Thanked: 1,581 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Kizashi 2.4 CVT: Test Drive and Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by skjlives
I think comparing the Kizashi to Civic/Altis on most parameters is quite unfair - It is definitely a segment above these cars.
Yes. And yet not quite at the Accord/Camry segment, which reflects in the way MSIL priced it between both segments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skjlives
When I started following the launch of this car in India almost 6-8 months back, the value prop to my mind was Accord spec car at Civic like price from Suzuki stable, which sounded mouth-watering, but clearly the story has taken its turn another way.
True. The pricing is clearly off by close to 2lakhs. I know that the K was on your list, but with the pricing gone awry, what are the options you are considering now ?

BTW, thanks for clearing out the performance part on how the Kizashi stacks against the competition. Looks like history will get repeated a la the Baleno, a good car screwed due to bad pricing. But then, it would be good if history also repeated for the KIzashi in the form of price-cuts, like it was done for Baleno and which made it a good option for many of us. Let's wait and see.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 16:53   #105
Senior - BHPian
 
pjbiju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)
Posts: 1,176
Thanked: 456 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Kizashi 2.4 CVT: Test Drive and Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
...
One clarification. Is this not being made in India? Is this the reason for the high price point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
It is a CBU...Direct import from Japan.
And yes, thats one definite reason for the high price point. And I remember GTO mentioning (in elsewhere thread) that the being a CBU will result in higher On-Road price as well.
AFAIK, CBU has approximately 106% import duty as opposed to 60% for CKD. Hence the high prices. There was some news last year saying that the govt. is thinking of reducing these duties. But nothing has happened as yet.

Last edited by pjbiju : 25th February 2011 at 16:54.
pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maruti Suzuki SX4 Diesel (1.3 DDiS): Test Drive and Review sidindica Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 209 27th April 2016 11:29
2013 India plans for Nissan. Micra CVT, Sunny CVT, compact SUV and Datsun announced sarthakgupta The Indian Car Scene 10 24th May 2013 13:28
A First on TBHP: Snow White Pearl Suzuki Kizashi CVT EDIT - Pics on Pg 3 Bluu Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 94 5th May 2013 18:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:33.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks