Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2011, 23:18   #136
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: hyd
Posts: 63
Thanked: 14 Times
Default I am planning to take SX4 Diesel - Is it a wise choice

I drive 1500 Km per month. Thinking of upgrading to a Diesel vehicle from my Alto at present. My requirements are good service back up, saftey features like airbags, ABS with EBD and good amount of power. Of course, SX4 doesn't satisfy on the power front, but, the budget constraints of not more than 10 lacs compelling me to shortlist this one. Yes, I will have to to stretch it to 10.40 L (on road for ZDI Hyderabad) though.

Verna is an ideal choice as per my requirements, but budget is not allowing me to go for it.

I am open to good suggestions. Please advise whether SX4 is a good choice, or should I look for something else? Anything else is available with the same price, also meeting my requirements?

Thanks!
Keralite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 19:48   #137
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,448
Thanked: 6,428 Times
Default Re: I am planning to take SX4 Diesel - Is it a wise choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keralite View Post
I drive 1500 Km per month. Thinking of upgrading to a Diesel vehicle from my Alto at present. My requirements are good service back up, saftey features like airbags, ABS with EBD and good amount of power.

I am open to good suggestions. Please advise whether SX4 is a good choice, or should I look for something else? Anything else is available with the same price, also meeting my requirements?
You have not said what kind of roads / condition do you drive thru! Are you lookng for options from C segment? Else you will have Etios / Dzire to satisfy your needs as of now. SX4 D is not very underpowered as you say! You will have to TD the car to understand what I mentioned. The car is a decent cruiser & you will not feel lack of power unless you try to race.

If you can wait for couple of months, you might get some more options like Nissan Sunny D / Dzire CS etc.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 00:46   #138
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: hyd
Posts: 63
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: I am planning to take SX4 Diesel - Is it a wise choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
You have not said what kind of roads / condition do you drive thru! Are you lookng for options from C segment? Else you will have Etios / Dzire to satisfy your needs as of now. SX4 D is not very underpowered as you say! You will have to TD the car to understand what I mentioned. The car is a decent cruiser & you will not feel lack of power unless you try to race.

If you can wait for couple of months, you might get some more options like Nissan Sunny D / Dzire CS etc.
Thanks.

Lions share in city. Occassional very long drives I am planning. Yes, I had a TD of SX4. Somehow I felt it is underpowered when climbing up steep heights

My TD, strictly restricted to city driving and could not take it to high way.

otherwise, the design, ground clearance, fuel consumption, etc. fascinate me towards SX4. Moreover, very rarely I have seen the 5th wheel being given an alloy that too in full size! The A-Pillar issue and the protruding Bump on the back seat kills the joy earned otherwise.

In Hyderabad, the vehicle has now 4 months waiting period.

Etios is a good buy however, any idea of Toyota Service? Dezire, no-way

Note from Support: Not more than 2 smilies allowed per post.

Last edited by Eddy : 11th October 2011 at 11:36. Reason: Note Inline
Keralite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 12:06   #139
BHPian
 
powertrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 572
Thanked: 374 Times
Default Re: I am planning to take SX4 Diesel - Is it a wise choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keralite View Post
Thanks.

Lions share in city. Occassional very long drives I am planning. Yes, I had a TD of SX4. Somehow I felt it is underpowered when climbing up steep heights

My TD, strictly restricted to city driving and could not take it to high way.

otherwise, the design, ground clearance, fuel consumption, etc. fascinate me towards SX4. Moreover, very rarely I have seen the 5th wheel being given an alloy that too in full size! The A-Pillar issue and the protruding Bump on the back seat kills the joy earned otherwise.

In Hyderabad, the vehicle has now 4 months waiting period.

Etios is a good buy however, any idea of Toyota Service? Dezire, no-way

Note from Support: Not more than 2 smilies allowed per post.
Keralite, I too own an SX4 D & I never found it underpowered. Although, performance is a relative term. What is fast for me,may be slow for you!!! Do go through my ownership report. I have given some performance figures. See for yourself & decide. Here's the link - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...i-sx4-zdi.html

Hope this helps

Varun Nair
powertrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 13:15   #140
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,448
Thanked: 6,428 Times
Default Re: I am planning to take SX4 Diesel - Is it a wise choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keralite View Post
Lions share in city. Occassional very long drives I am planning. Yes, I had a TD of SX4. Somehow I felt it is underpowered when climbing up steep heights
I see that you drive a petrol car! Unless you are used to a diesel engine characteristic, you will feel the car doesn't pull as clean as from low revs like a petrol. So working the gears based on the rpm is the key while driving a diesel engine. Please don't expect the low end performance to be as good as petrols. And if the long drives that you plan include the craters on Kerala highways, SX4 is the best bet ! At least you will be happy that you don't scrape the bottom 99% of the times unlike other sedans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keralite View Post
My TD, strictly restricted to city driving and could not take it to high way.
Please make sure you take an extensive TD for any car you shortlist. Because the characteristics of car can change in city & highway drives. Unless you plan to have 3 members at the back seat, SX4 will be comfortable. In fact there are not many sedans / hatchbacks in India which can seat 5 people [3 at rear] comfortably!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keralite View Post
Etios is a good buy however, any idea of Toyota Service?
What I know is Toyota service is better than even Maruti. Yeah, you don't have those numerous outlets, but yeah, when you find one, things can't go wrong with Toyota - they are mad about quality. One complaint about service & Toyota give the dealers sleepless nights.

And also you might want to take a look at Optra Magnum - a dated model but the reviews in the forum are sweet.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 11th October 2011 at 13:17.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 16:39   #141
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: hyd
Posts: 63
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
Keralite, I too own an SX4 D & I never found it underpowered. Although, performance is a relative term. What is fast for me,may be slow for you!!! Do go through my ownership report. I have given some performance figures. See for yourself & decide. Here's the link - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...i-sx4-zdi.html

Hope this helps

Varun Nair
That's simply awesome. I have put my comments there.

bye the way, how do you find the stereo in SX4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I see that you drive a petrol car...

...a dated model but the reviews in the forum are sweet.
Thank you.

Before booking, I am planning for an extensive TD. As you said, will also take it on to the highway as well. Because, that's where I will be requiring it the more. For city,my alto is more than enough.

Optra, I may not. Nothing otherwise, but I second your opinion

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th January 2012 at 17:37. Reason: See note in post :) Also, avoid quoting entire post as it inconveniences small-screen and mobile users. Thanks :)
Keralite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2011, 09:07   #142
BHPian
 
sumeshmani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: bangalore
Posts: 477
Thanked: 104 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki SX4 1.3 DDiS: Test Drive and Review

Can the center squab of the rear seat be eliminated with the help of seat cover experts? In short can the rear seat given by OEM be altered slightly?
sumeshmani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2012, 00:44   #143
BHPian
 
Monaro CV8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 557
Thanked: 463 Times
Post Re: Maruti Suzuki SX4 Diesel (1.3 DDiS): Test Drive and Review

Has any Diesel SX4 user got a 'Tuning Box' or got an 'ECU Remap' done for their car?

I've been planning for a few mods for my car.
Suggestions, if any, are most welcome.
Thanks guys.
Monaro CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2012, 17:27   #144
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,132
Thanked: 1,002 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki SX4 Diesel (1.3 DDiS): Test Drive and Review

I did a test drive on the SX4 diesel today. Engine wise it was excellent, as good as my Esteem MPFI petrol. There was a mild turbo lag, but then my Esteem and Alto K10 also have same low RPM characteristics so it did not matter. The diesel revved up smoothly till 5K RPM. I was driving it like a petrol 3-5k RPM all through. The noise was as much as my K10. Surprisingly the retarding effect of the diesel while down shifting was much less than my petrol K10, but the engine did not strain with aggressive down shifting, it just revved up smoothly.

All said and done I was impressed, that a 1200kg car with 1.3 diesel could have this performance with three of us in it.

What I liked compared to Vento is bigger diameter wheels, better GC and the instrumentation layout. Of course VW has to do a lot of catching up with MASS service network.

Both SX4 diesel and Vento diesel (2011) are available ex-stock in a few colours, so my dilemma is whether to go for German Engineering or to stick to good old Maruti, which has not disappointed me in the last 21 years, as there is hardly any price difference between the Vento diesel TL and SX4 VDi.

The insurance for Vento is 70% more than that for SX4. When I inquired with my insurance agent, he game me the formula. While SX4 was 2K more (that is OK as the agent was giving me 20% discount), the Vento insurance is nearly 20K more. Even after factoring in zero depreciation it is 16K more. Some dealers sure make money on insurance!

For those who are interested, the rates are

Normal for 1300 CC
2.62% of 95% of the ex-showroom price + about 1200 for third party
Normal for 1600 CC
2.7% of 95% of the ex-showroom price + about 1200 for third party

Zero Depreciation for 1300 CC
3.283% of 95% of the ex-showroom price + about 1200 for third party
Zero Depreciation for 1600 CC
3.44% of 95% of the ex-showroom price + about 1200 for third party

Note
. For zero depreciation there is a Rs.1K processing charge for each claim
. My agent gives a 20% discount on the basic insurance part
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2012, 19:24   #145
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,448
Thanked: 6,428 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki SX4 Diesel (1.3 DDiS): Test Drive and Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
..so my dilemma is whether to go for German Engineering or to stick to good old Maruti, which has not disappointed me in the last 21 years, as there is hardly any price difference between the Vento diesel TL and SX4 VDi.
For this, I will pick Vento for the superior build, engine, drive pleasure, badge value & better rear seat comfort. Downside is I will end up paying more for service.

The biggest let down of SX4 D, if you ask me is it's interiors. It just doesn't belong in a 9L car!! But space is good, I like the GC as well. Is it worth for the cash, I guess NO ! I would rather pick a Linea for that price if I am worried about service costs.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2012, 20:20   #146
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,132
Thanked: 1,002 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki SX4 Diesel (1.3 DDiS): Test Drive and Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
For this, I will pick Vento for the superior build, engine, drive pleasure, badge value & better rear seat comfort. Downside is I will end up paying more for service.

The biggest let down of SX4 D, if you ask me is it's interiors. It just doesn't belong in a 9L car!! But space is good, I like the GC as well. Is it worth for the cash, I guess NO ! I would rather pick a Linea for that price if I am worried about service costs.
Actually from all reports, the SX4 rear seat is more comfortable. SX4 is also pretty sturdily build, unlike most of the other MUL cars. None of the SX4 I know of rattle.

Once I TD the Vento tomorrow, I will get a better idea of its engine, especially its low end torque. The TD SX4 pulled quite happily in 4th from 25 km/h. It also chugged away merrily around 15 km/h on second gear with foot off accelerator (but so does my Alto K10!)
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2012, 21:01   #147
Senior - BHPian
 
bluevolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,963
Thanked: 2,211 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki SX4 Diesel (1.3 DDiS): Test Drive and Review

^^^

Are you not considering the Hyundai Verna 1.4 CRDi. I guess it is priced in the range of SX4 VDi and Vento TL.

Anyways if it is between SX4 and Vento then my pick will be Vento for the powerful diesel engine and price in this segment.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2012, 21:46   #148
BHPian
 
Saanil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 384
Thanked: 190 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki SX4 Diesel (1.3 DDiS): Test Drive and Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I did a test drive on the SX4 diesel today. Engine wise it was excellent, as good as my Esteem MPFI petrol.
Sx4 is no doubt a good car - In fact I think it is one of the most under rated cars in India. But the thing is Sx4 is quite old now and the interiors are very plain. They are functional and quite practical but then they won't impress you like what a Verna possibly might. Also I think Sx4 should undergo a refresh this year and sort out its interiors. I own a petrol Sx4 and I have no problems with my car at all - handles well, start stop acceleration is quite good, can seat 3 people at the back easily, has sufficient boot space. Vento also is a good car. As you mentioned, a test drive of both would be the best thing to do. You will find plenty of Vento ownership reports here. Sx4 diesel has quite a few of them compared to Vento but they are quite comprehensive. Just search for them, take a test drive and then decide. Do let us know your decision.

Thanks
Saanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2012, 11:30   #149
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: hyd
Posts: 63
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki SX4 Diesel (1.3 DDiS): Test Drive and Review

Finally, I have booked SX4 Celebration model.

Will get the delivery by this weekend.
Keralite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2012, 14:05   #150
BHPian
 
Saanil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 384
Thanked: 190 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki SX4 Diesel (1.3 DDiS): Test Drive and Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keralite View Post
Finally, I have booked SX4 Celebration model.

Will get the delivery by this weekend.
What is the celebration model? Is it like with accessories like parking sensors, leather seats etc? I guess Sx4 diesel is the only diesel car which does not have a waiting period. If you do not mind can you share the OTR cost? Which other cars did you consider?
Saanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maruti Suzuki Kizashi 2.4 CVT: Test Drive and Review sidindica Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 292 19th September 2017 12:28
Maruti SX4 Diesel : Test Drive abhi_k007 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 15 23rd September 2011 11:39
economy diesel duel: Maruti Ritz DDiS vs Suzuki Swift DDis vs Vista quadrajet aura. s_pphilip Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 25 29th October 2009 09:43
Maruti Suzuki SX4 DDiS: Is it coming anytime soon? CrAzY dRiVeR The Indian Car Scene 93 10th September 2008 10:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:12.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks