Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 4th March 2011, 09:03   #16
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Maruti Suzuki SX4 Diesel (1.3 DDiS): Test Drive and Review

Great review Sid.

You have covered almost every aspect except would love to hear how does it perform viz.a viz the Swift D since both share same engines now with this power to weight difference.

Also, I am completely appalled to see the quality of plastics and overall interior quality is downright down-market. Its almost like the interiors of a Indigo CS. I doubt if prospective buyers would be happy with this interior quality in particular when they pay almost 11 Lakhs OTR anywhere in south.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 09:39   #17
BHPian

Awesome review as usual Sid. All the auto mags must go take a swim with none of them highlighting the negatives in their so called test drives. Cheers to team-bhp.
thesilentone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 10:00   #18
BHPian

One quick observations:

Indians, just like people from other Countries, have their own set of preferences. One of them is lighter shades for interiors. However, I think this preference has been stretched a little too far.

Micra: Has a combination of a bunch of grey, beige-grey and what not. Does it really look good? I don't think so.

SX4: MSIL changed the colour of the interior dashboard to 'funny brown-beige'. Did it help. I think it made the interiors look more 'cheap' than they used to look earlier.

Net net, I think that by making each and every interior in lighter shade, coming up with combination of lighter shades just to make the car interior follow the preference, does not help. Stick to what suits the car persona!

Also, I think generally, if you use lighter shades, you better have 'good quality'. In lighter shades, the 'cheapness of plastics' come out much more than it will with say black colour. I personally think that SX4 used to 'feel' like having acceptable interior plastics before thay made everything brown-beige. Now, it looks downright cheap.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 4th March 2011 at 10:01.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 10:03   #19
Team-BHP Support

Oh yes! This car will surpass the Swift D/Dzire's waiting period. Much needed car.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 11:01   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Also, I think generally, if you use lighter shades, you better have 'good quality'. In lighter shades, the 'cheapness of plastics' come out much more than it will with say black colour. I personally think that SX4 used to 'feel' like having acceptable interior plastics before thay made everything brown-beige. Now, it looks downright cheap.
+1 to that Abhi_Automobile
The SX4 interior looks jaded and is in dire need of a facelift. It remains to be seen how it impacts sales - it does have first mover advantage, as there are no concrete dates available for the Fiesta and Verna launches. Apparently the Fiesta is expected to come up with an AT version too.

I guess Maruti would already be planning for a replacement to the SX4. they should consider bringing it in the international hatchback version; that would make things more interesting

Great detailed review there sidindica. the location looks great too
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 11:10   #21
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Maruti Suzuki SX4 Diesel (1.3 DDiS): Test Drive and Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Vento - I can understand. Not sure about the Fiesta D... it does not belong to the same class as the Vento D.
Why would you say that? In fact Fiesta D has been there for quite some time with a proven engine and better known for fuel efficiency. Vento is relatively new as compared to Fiesta.

I am just waiting for the new Fiesta D which I presume would be introduced with 1.6ltr engine. Then we can talk about class.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 11:25   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Why would you say that? In fact Fiesta D has been there for quite some time with a proven engine and better known for fuel efficiency. Vento is relatively new as compared to Fiesta.

I am just waiting for the new Fiesta D which I presume would be introduced with 1.6ltr engine. Then we can talk about class.
lets not go OT. The new Fiesta might be in the same class as Vento but the current one is definitely not, whether it is the engine, space, quality etc.

I also feel the SX4 D is also not in the class of a Vento and hence should have been priced a bit lower.
adimicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 11:35   #23
BHPian

Sid, even I was eagerly waiting for SX4 D. My Estilo is 4 and half year new and was planning to switch to diesel. But I expected a 1.6 instead of 1.3

Any idea anyone if SX4 1.6 is expected to come up with competitors

One of the prime reason for me to stick with MSIL is their M.A.S.S as I already own a white elephant at home "my Nomad".

and ya my daily running at present is about 70kms
nomadabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 12:00   #24
Senior - BHPian

Great review Sid!

Loved the pics. Its a very balanced and unbiased review, which sticks to Team BHP standards pretty well. 5 stars from me.

IMHO, the SX4 does not have the bang to storm into the C segment diesel category and be a leader. It will surely improve the overall numbers for Maruti, but it can't be termed as radical as the Vento. Infact, the coming soon hotties from Hyundai and Ford will surely make the competition extremely tough for SX4 and Linea, especially.

If there was no news of new Fiesta 2011 and Hyundai Verna RB coming soon to Indian market, SX4 would have enjoyed great numbers. But, the driver in me would surely wait for Fiesta and Verna rather than spending 10 lacs+ on SX4 diesel having a 1.3 engine.

Wishing all the best to Maruti for the SX4 diesel!

OT:
@Sid - It was great to meet you in person during the last Pune team BHP meet.

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 4th March 2011 at 12:01.
ajay_satpute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 12:59   #25
Senior - BHPian

The car almost feels like a swift while seeing the interiors. Most of the switches and knobs remind me of Swift. Not shabby yet not really special.

A great buy for around 10L knowing that the diesel engine does very well with respect to fuel efficiency and this diesel engine is always a winner for maruti

Ford and Verna will definitely bring more choices. If the pricing is right SX4 may have to do something better.

Good luck for Maurti with SX4 and Kizashi where the former feels more like a winner.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 14:37   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

There you go again, Sid! You seem to have made it a habit of beating me

It's a Maruti, it's a diesel (when petrol costs 64 bucks a liter!!) and it has a "dicky". The SX4 diesel will meet with success. Equally, there will be a lot of overlap with its own petrol sibling (a la diesel Altis).

Yet, for me, the Vento diesel is a decidedly superior sedan. In every way, starting with the performance and zero turbolag.

Rating thread a well-deserved 5 stars!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 15:51   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
There you go again, Sid! You seem to have made it a habit of beating me

It's a Maruti, it's a diesel (when petrol costs 64 bucks a liter!!) and it has a "dicky". The SX4 diesel will meet with success. Equally, there will be a lot of overlap with its own petrol sibling (a la diesel Altis).

Yet, for me, the Vento diesel is a decidedly superior sedan. In every way, starting with the performance and zero turbolag.

Rating thread a well-deserved 5 stars!
+1. Indians just love VFM cars. SX4 ticks all the check boxes right & after all its a Maruti !!! Indians just love Maruti's & that's a fact. Surely SX4 is going to be a hit car & waiting will start for it.

I still thinks that Maruti has made it little late. But still its better as they say "Better late than Never"
aniketi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 16:25   #28
Senior - BHPian

Detailed in-depth review Sid! Very well done. 5 Star rating. Mods, please move this to the official test drive section. Or make Sid a moderator

Diesel is a good option to keep the SX4 sales along with that of City.

But until a new design is coming, Maruti has to do the following simple things with the SX4 design to make it look much more easy-to-eye.

1. Remove the front quarter glass and redesign the doors. The quarter glass is good only in the SX4 hatch back version.
2. Chop off some of the length of the rear bumper. It's too bulging.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 4th March 2011 at 16:27.
romeomidhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 16:52   #29
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Suzuki SX4 1.3 DDiS: Test Drive and Review

Nice review. Covered all the important details and was properly balanced.

In my humble opinion, the SX4-D is VFM king for now.
Looking forward for Ford and Hyundai (Verna RB more than the Fieta 2011) to come up with something exciting soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Braking:
The ZDi model is equipped with 4 channel, 4 wheel ABS with EBD, front ventilated disc and rear drums. Braking feel is good but the ABS kicks in early and pedal judder is felt under hard braking. Again, the overall modulation needs tightening up.
On the braking aspect, do you suppose this ABS kicking in early could have been due to the wet roads/tires?

peace,
~kg
kapilvgupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 17:02   #30
BHPian

How was the gear shift ? Any vibrations seeping thro the gear rods ?

Did you get a chance to check out the Leather version ?

Goes without saying a brilliant review !
2theMax is offline   Reply With Quote