Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 21st March 2011, 17:05   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Got my black Safari Delivered

@Suresh: was planning to get rid of them once I get the seat covers. With two kids on the back seat, i have already been saved from two huge water spills on the seats due to the plastic covers.

This guy near Varthur whom I spoke to fit the seat covers, says that Safari sear measurements are not easy to find. So, he insists that I leave the vehicle at his factory for the whole day so that he can fit the seat covers.. Somehow, that's not making me feel comfortable to leave it with those folks for a whole day..
recker_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 18:26   #32
BHPian

There is light in Glovebox compartment in my Safari Lx. Regarding Reverse gear problem, that too was in my Safari. Setvice engineers from Tata came and adjusted Whole console few mm back and not this problem is not there
mandyrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 19:06   #33
Senior - BHPian

Congrats, Recker us, on the good looking buy ! Good to know you are enjoying the vehicle

Was surprised to know about the jerky suspension problem at your first service. Could be that the excess air pressure of 48 psi initially might have worn out a few suspension bushes. My guess is that these might have been replaced during service, resulting in the improved ride quality, as opposed to just lubrication.

Softly sprung, yet well damped, that's the trademark of the Safari's suspension !
mooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 08:50   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyrana View Post
There is light in Glovebox compartment in my Safari Lx. Regarding Reverse gear problem, that too was in my Safari. Setvice engineers from Tata came and adjusted Whole console few mm back and not this problem is not there
I was told by the service personel that Glove box light doesnt come anymore in 2011 LX model.
Old 22nd March 2011, 11:17   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recker_us View Post
@Suresh: was planning to get rid of them once I get the seat covers. With two kids on the back seat, i have already been saved from two huge water spills on the seats due to the plastic covers.

This guy near Varthur whom I spoke to fit the seat covers, says that Safari sear measurements are not easy to find. So, he insists that I leave the vehicle at his factory for the whole day so that he can fit the seat covers.. Somehow, that's not making me feel comfortable to leave it with those folks for a whole day..
Yes, getting good seat covers fitted is going to be a challenge unless you know/find the best people in the job.

I went to JC road like many, to a place called 'shades and shapes' or something like that name in a by lane in JC Road. They had good choices and seemed professional. Yes, the seat covers themselves were good, but the boys who removed the seats and fitted them back did a very shoddy job, and to this day I regret having gone there.

1. The Arm Rests were not fitted back properly, and are dangling now. Need to get some bushes to lock them in place.
2. They closed the middle seat armrest - it is unusable now
3. They had removed the small electronic unit under driver seat, and didn't connect it back proper; the safari didn't start after they were done, found a loose U plug, and had to fit it back.
4. The engine malfunction light came on a few kms after the seat fitting job was done, and went off by itself after couple of restarts. Do not know if coincidence or something
5. The driver seat was not very tight and was kind of having a loose feel, I checked the bolts and the idiots had not tightened the bolts, and had not even screwed in 2 of the bolts which were lying under the carpet! Bolted them myself and it is better now.

Lesson: Find the best people who can do a good job at this. Safari seats removing entirely and fitting back needs expertise and good workmanship. The boys in JC Road may not be the best. Afterthought: Maybe, the original TML seatcovers fitted at a TASS maybe the best option. Or better still, do not fit seat covers, the original seats are a pleasure to be seated in. Instead of spending on seat covers, you could pay the 3M guys once in few months (1000Rs?) for a good interior cleaning job..

^^ And yes, the glovebox lights are not there even in my Sept 2010 manufactured Safari.

Last edited by verditer : 22nd March 2011 at 11:19.
verditer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 12:19   #36
Senior - BHPian

recker_us - congratulations on your newly acquired beast! Wish you many happy and safe kilometers!

Quote:
Finally, a very satisfying experience. I had heard bad things about Tata Motors Service, but this was an Opinion Changer. With a good service advisor, the niggles would look much easy to face and handle
KHT service is quite good, at least for the Safari. I got my first service done at Concorde (Hosur Road) in Dec 2009. They did a good job but the commute is a pain (I stay in Marathalli). I heaved a sigh of relief when KHT opened up sometime early 2010. I have been going there ever since for service and have never had a dissatisfying experience. They have some good technicians for the Safari - most of their guys are from Manipal Motors and are quite experienced. Their customer relationship manager, Mr. Javid, is a gem of a person, very helpful and responsive. Sharnappa again, is a good guy and has some good hands on with the Safari. Mr Ramesh, one of the senior-most technical guys out there, again, is a fairly knowledgeable guy. All in all, I am happy that KHT has opened up near my residence and I have had a satisfying experience with them till date.

Quote:
Attaching Pics of the Safari.
I believe I saw your Safari parked infront of Outpost sometime over the weekend. Was wondering how can a Safari with GX paint scheme not have alloys and then I saw the rear monogram The color combination looks good and was one of my preferred choices when I was buying my Safari back in Nov 2009. Did not go for it since opted for the EX and chose to keep the original paint scheme.

Quote:
I can completely understand - my 2 year old is enough to make a mess and boy, am I glad that I got the leather seat covers done within a month of my purchase.

Quote:
This guy near Varthur whom I spoke to fit the seat covers, says that Safari sear measurements are not easy to find. So, he insists that I leave the vehicle at his factory for the whole day so that he can fit the seat covers.. Somehow, that's not making me feel comfortable to leave it with those folks for a whole day
You need not. There is a guy (forgot his name) who has a tie up with KHT and does a fairly good job. Best part is, he will come to your residence and do the job in 2-3 hours. You can get his details from anyone at KHT. He does seat covers and sun-film for delivery vehicles going out of KHT.

Last edited by cool_dube : 22nd March 2011 at 12:21.
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 21:30   #37
BHPian

Got the new Seat Covers for Safari from a Shop near my office in Domlur. He did a pretty neat job.

@cool_dube: not sure how can they fit the covers in 2-3 hours. In my case, there were 5 people working on it continuously and took 6 hours to finally complete the work. I was there most of the time and these 5 men were continously on the job without a break.

Finally, it seems to be a decent job. Wifey liked the looks and fittings, so I would say the job was well done. .

I didnt face any problems with tightening of screws or anything like that till now. But, then I haven't used the Safari a lot since then. I was bicycling to office on some of days this week. The security guys in the office parking are shocked to see a weird guy who comes on a big Safari one day and on a bicycle the next day.

Some pics of the Safari. Could shoot just a few in the poor lights of the basement parking. I would find a good location over the weekend to shoot some better pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Got my black Safari Delivered-img_1379.jpg  

Got my black Safari Delivered-img_1380.jpg  

Got my black Safari Delivered-img_1381.jpg  

Got my black Safari Delivered-img_1382.jpg  

Last edited by Dippy : 25th March 2011 at 15:07. Reason: Back to back posts
Old 25th March 2011, 13:26   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@cool_dube: not sure how can they fit the covers in 2-3 hours. In my case, there were 5 people working on it continuously and took 6 hours to finally complete the work. I was there most of the time and these 5 men were continously on the job without a break.
That was because I had given him the color preference and he had brought the (stitched) set to my place. Fitting should not take more than 3 hours IMO. And there were a total of 3 guys on the job.

Quote:
Some pics of the Safari. Could shoot just a few in the poor lights of the basement parking. I would find a good location over the weekend to shoot some better pics:
Good job - the color combination as well as fitting looks neat! How much were you charged for it?
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 15:00   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
.. the "Low Fuel Indicator" got triggered even with 12 liters in the belly. Do we get the low fuel indication so early or is it malfunctioning?
It's not malfunctioning. Another 2 litres and you would have seen the engine begining to cough.

So, as a practice, top it up any time after half tank & by quarter tank. Do not wait till the low fuel indicator comes on.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 15:16   #40
BHPian

I did not see any TBHP stickers on your safari, its is about time you have them mate
sumathindra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 01:19   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The security guys in the office parking are shocked to see a weird guy who comes on a big Safari one day and on a bicycle the next day.
This had me cracking.

I used to wonder about my boss when I first moved to USA in 2007. He used to ride his bike one day and would drive an Aston Martin Vanquish the other day!

After a few days, I was a part of the same culture shuffling between my bike and Mazda 3.

Congrats on your Safari and keep crunching good miles. Seat covers look neat.
Ace F355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 08:20   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Good job - the color combination as well as fitting looks neat! How much were you charged for it?
The damages were 6k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
I did not see any TBHP stickers on your safari, its is about time you have them mate
Agree Mate. Its just that I remember seeing the option of ordering set of 10 stickers and not lower numbers :-(. I wouldn't like the car to be decked up top to bottom with 10 stickers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
This had me cracking.

I used to wonder about my boss when I first moved to USA in 2007. He used to ride his bike one day and would drive an Aston Martin Vanquish the other day!

After a few days, I was a part of the same culture shuffling between my bike and Mazda 3.

Congrats on your Safari and keep crunching good miles. Seat covers look neat.
I joined a new company just a month back.. and frankly, this bicycling and Safari combination has already got me Fans and friendly discussions with new colleagues. Yesterday, the head of the center walked to me and complemented that he had seen me bicycling from work the day before. :-)

Last edited by recker_us : 26th March 2011 at 08:23. Reason: .
Old 4th April 2011, 18:29   #43
BHPian

First Mileage figures after the first service:

475 kms for 51 liters. That comes to 9.3km/litre. This is much lower than 11+ figures which I used to get pre-service.

The only consolation is that this time it was 100% city driving in maddening bumper to bumper traffic. Bangalore has been pretty hot this month and 90% AC usage as Fan speed 2/3 for my black beast might also have taken a toll on the mileage numbers. I remember spending around 2 hours in a traffic where I could cover just 15kms.

Also, after the 1st service, I was revving happily to feel the real Safari power which was not done in the initial 1000kms.. What do you say guys, 9.3km/liter is kinda OK or very low?
I am kinda feeling jealous to see Happywheels getting 15+ for his beast..

One of my friend suggested that we should tank up as soon as the fuel indicator comes to halfway mark. That prevents excess evaporation of the fuel and gives better mileage. Any credibility in this theory?

Last edited by recker_us : 4th April 2011 at 18:32. Reason: .
Old 4th April 2011, 20:05   #44
Senior - BHPian

Have patience, the economy will improve, in city traffic always with the ac on I get about 10.5 km to a litre.

Quote:
I am kinda feeling jealous to see Happywheels getting 15+ for his beast
But Happywheels isn't just another Safari owner and his is not just another Safari
Lukeskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 22:37   #45
Senior - BHPian

10 KMPL in our traffic conditions is perfect for both the Safari and the Scorpio. Happywheels is an abnormality to cruise our roads. If you see a White 4x4 Safari ambling around at 30 kmph, make sure you stop and make faces at the driver or moon him.
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote