Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 14th March 2011, 22:16   #1
BHPian

Default Volkswagen Vento TDi - My Silver rocket is finally here!

History:
It all started with my Santro getting old (now six years) and me being increasingly dissatisfied with the Logan. With shooting fuel prices and increased driving, I was looking at a diesel sedan under 15 lacs with no compromise on power. After a ton of TD's, I'd almost zeroed in on the Cruze LTZ, when news broke in Aug 10 of the prospective launch of a 10 Lac sedan from the VW stable. Decided to wait since I found the Cruze a tad expensive w.r.t VFM and was also a little worried on the Chevy brand / resale value.
Around early Sept, did my first TD of the Vento Petrol and quite liked it. However it was nothing compared to the TD of the TDI, it just blew me away! I loved the torque-on-tap and the ride handling. Coupled with the premium feel interiors and there, the decision was made! Had to do a bit of convincing at home reg the TDI HL, but finally made the booking with 75k token on Sept 21, 2010 at KSM Motors, Chembur, Mumbai. Also found the Reflex silver the best among existing colours, so there we were!

Pre-delivery experience:
This might seem like deja vu for all readers. My first delivery date committed was 40 days!! Around end-oct on hearing nothing, I followed up and was told Diwali i.e. mid Nov. As is well documented by now, this moved to mid Dec, 2nd week Jan and mid Feb. Quite painful since I'd sold the Logan in Sept 10 and was making do with the Santro. As is nature's wont, the moment my delivery started getting delayed, I started seeing more and more TDi Ventos on the road! The joke doing the rounds was whether I would forget I'd booked the Vento and book another car by mistake! Meanwhile joined the TBHP forum and was relieved to see tha I wasn't being strung along and this delay was more the norm.

Delivery experience:
My delivery was a bit frustrating since I did a PDI of the car on Feb 27 but finally received delivery 16 days later, inspite of making the payment well in advance. I wouldn't recommend KSM to Mumbai prospects unless very convenient. The actual delivery happened after my sales rep cell was switched off since late last week and the GM of the dealership took personal interest in expediting the case after I ranted and raved on the delay!
However as a saving grace, pickup of the car was smooth with excellent demo/paperwork and courtesy extended. After the mandatory coconut breaking, I was off!!

Drive:
Took a bit getting used to the gears, specially the reverse (after years of the Santro/Logan!). Drove about 7 kms home on the highway and in bad traffic. Some thoughts below:

Pros:
1. Definitely the power on tap, overtaking speeding ANHC's on the highway was a breeze
2. Loved the ride handling and suspension on bad roads (which are plenty in Bombay)
3. Premium feel to the interiors
4. Got an initial FE of 13, but majority of the drive was in unexpected bumper to bumper traffic, so expect it to increase
5. Driver armrest is a blessing
6. Purr of the TDI engine which I love
7. Gear shifts are accurate and short - very nifty

Cons:
1. Driver armrest hinders the handbrake
2. Audio quality is good, but slightly high on the treble
3. No single door unlocking/locking
4. Indicator is slightly confusing w.r.t FE, tripmeter reading etc.

Will update later on average FE, etc. Some pics attached!

p.s. Can't wait for tommorrow morning to take her out for a spin!
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento TDi - My Silver rocket is finally here!-img2011031400018.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento TDi - My Silver rocket is finally here!-img2011031400019.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento TDi - My Silver rocket is finally here!-img2011031400020.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento TDi - My Silver rocket is finally here!-img2011031400021.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento TDi - My Silver rocket is finally here!-img2011031400022.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento TDi - My Silver rocket is finally here!-img2011031400023.jpg  

Last edited by Svis : 14th March 2011 at 22:24.
Svis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 22:20   #2
BHPian

Default re: Volkswagen Vento TDi - My Silver rocket is finally here!

Congrats on the buy mate, Vento in Silver looks Classy, Any changes on the 2011 version from its predecessor ?

Best

ML
Motoringlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 22:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Its raining Vento's on T-BHP. Congrats Svis.

Wishing you a happy and safe ownership experience. Take good care of the VW badge.

Last edited by amitwlele : 14th March 2011 at 22:24.
amitwlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 22:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations! Quite a long time you had to wait to get your hands on the beauty! KSM is a new dealer in Mumbai so even I wouldn't recommend anyone going there yet. OTOH, even VW Downtown isn't a place where you'll get a nice dealership experience too. But since one of our BHPians works there, you can be slightly at ease What was the on-road price of your car?
theragingbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 22:53   #5
BHPian

Thumbs up re: Volkswagen Vento TDi - My Silver rocket is finally here!

Congrats, Svis! Yours was really a long long wait. Congrats to Giri too! I'd recommend you to see a shadow blue Vento before making up your mind. It's a stunning color!

It's a joy to see Vento's being rolled out at regular intervals on TBHP. Hope this remains a roll and doesn't slow down!
nileshch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 23:05   #6
BHPian

Hi Svis,

Congratulations on getting the Silver beauty.
The VW Vento is indeed a good example of German Engineering values. High quality build, good interiors, good Diesel engine.
Do post some more pics.
Also, would appreciate a break up of the cost factors.
BTW, planning to put in some goodies?

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam
samarth.bhatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 23:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations!!
Rightly said torque on tap. In fact this is what is needed. Who can afford to take the cars to the redline in the current contested roads.
The Diesel is definately the wise choice. I think the petrol needed a turbo as well. What about a 1.6L VentoTP?
oxyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 07:03   #8
BHPian

Talking re: Volkswagen Vento TDi - My Silver rocket is finally here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Congrats, Svis! Yours was really a long long wait. Congrats to Giri too! I'd recommend you to see a shadow blue Vento before making up your mind. It's a stunning color!

It's a joy to see Vento's being rolled out at regular intervals on TBHP. Hope this remains a roll and doesn't slow down!
Haha. This post was meant for the Vento Test Drive thread. This is what happens when you have too many windows open!
nileshch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 08:09   #9
BHPian

Such a beautiful car - drive safe! Do let us know the redlining results after the run in!
SubuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 08:37   #10
BHPian

Congratulation on your Vento, I am sure the long wait would bring more smiles now

Please do update the thread with more pictures, OTR and ownership experience.

I am still not able to understand why it took 16 days post PDI, can you please elaborate on it??
camchennai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 09:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

Smile re: Volkswagen Vento TDi - My Silver rocket is finally here!

Congratulations on the Vento, the wait was worth for it. The car looks really good in Silver colour. good choice mate.

Happy mile crunching and drive safely. Pls do take care of the logos too.
ghodlur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 10:32   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svis View Post
However it was nothing compared to the TD of the TDI, it just blew me away! I loved the torque-on-tap and the ride handling. Coupled with the premium feel interiors and there, the decision was made!
Congratulations on receiving your priced possession & kudos to your patience. Had I been in your place, I would have gone nuts with such a long waiting period.

Quote:
Meanwhile joined the TBHP forum and was relieved to see tha I wasn't being strung along and this delay was more the norm.
That is the advantage of being a TBHP member. Loads of information & you would never go wrong with your decision if it is supported by TBHP.

Quote:
p.s. Can't wait for tommorrow morning to take her out for a spin!
Do share with us your long drive experience & lots of snaps.

Happy mile crunching.
AutoIndian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 10:34   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoringlover View Post
Congrats on the buy mate, Vento in Silver looks Classy, Any changes on the 2011 version from its predecessor ?

Best

ML
No changes ML, other than the A11 on the chassis number. Heard some upgrades are due in the 2012 version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Its raining Vento's on T-BHP. Congrats Svis.

Wishing you a happy and safe ownership experience. Take good care of the VW badge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Congratulations on the Vento, the wait was worth for it. The car looks really good in Silver colour. good choice mate.

Happy mile crunching and drive safely. Pls do take care of the logos too.
Yup will do- thats my concern too. Have some Jetta owner friends who've got logos stolen and had to shell out 7k for a new one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Congratulations! Quite a long time you had to wait to get your hands on the beauty! KSM is a new dealer in Mumbai so even I wouldn't recommend anyone going there yet. OTOH, even VW Downtown isn't a place where you'll get a nice dealership experience too. But since one of our BHPians works there, you can be slightly at ease What was the on-road price of your car?
Yes agree with you. I went with KSM since a friend of mine knew the franchise owner who promised early delivery. He then moved on to form his own franchise and the delivery went for a toss. My OTR is 10.38 L. ExSR - 9,49,243/- + Regn/Depot - 75,122/- + Insurance 30,210 - Corp disc 16k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post

Amen to that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
Hi Svis,

Congratulations on getting the Silver beauty.
The VW Vento is indeed a good example of German Engineering values. High quality build, good interiors, good Diesel engine.
Do post some more pics.
Also, would appreciate a break up of the cost factors.
BTW, planning to put in some goodies?

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam
Will do Sam. Cost breakup as above. Planning to put in 3M films, rubber mats and change the HU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Congratulations!!
Rightly said torque on tap. In fact this is what is needed. Who can afford to take the cars to the redline in the current contested roads.
The Diesel is definately the wise choice. I think the petrol needed a turbo as well. What about a 1.6L VentoTP?
Will be one beastly engine! But don't see that for some time given the market response to the TDI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubuS View Post
Such a beautiful car - drive safe! Do let us know the redlining results after the run in!
Yes am in love with it! Will hit you guys post redlines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camchennai View Post
Congratulation on your Vento, I am sure the long wait would bring more smiles now

Please do update the thread with more pictures, OTR and ownership experience.

I am still not able to understand why it took 16 days post PDI, can you please elaborate on it??
CC - yes the long wait makes the possession sweet! Will post more pics. Well delay was due to some govt holidays, slight delay in loan disb and some staff issues from dealer side.

On another note - no remote for the audio system is a pain, especially if you are being chauffered like me!

Last edited by Svis : 15th March 2011 at 10:38.
Svis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 10:36   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Dude. Welcome to the club. Waiting for your detailed report after the drive. Kindly update with your experience and pics. Am sure you will enjoy every day when you take her for a spin.
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 10:41   #15
BHPian

Congrats, Vento is a amazing car. I love the car in White but even in sliver or black it looks stunning. I drove the petrol version from Pune to Mumbai and can tell you that you can take her to 140+ and you will not even notice
Mr.Beat is offline   Reply With Quote