Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 15th March 2011, 01:12   #1
BHPian

Default My diamond black Hyundai i20 CRDi is finally here!

Hi everyone
After using the hyundai getz1.3 for almost 2year it was time for a change now & considering the increase in fuel prices it was the perfect time to go for a diesel. I wanted a diesel hatchback which should be fast, good mileage(anywhere around 14/15kmpl), spacious, good looking & of course easy on my pocket.

Booking & Delivery experience from the dealership-
Bought the car from hyundai motor plaza new delhi. The car was on a waiting period of 2months but got it within a month itself. Well, there were a few issues which I faced with Hyundai motor plaza which were resolved when I mailed them to Hyundai motor India.

Price, discounts & freebies-
The on-road price of the crdi era model at the time of delivery was 6.37 & no discounts were available, not even the loyalty bonus. Got the mud flaps & one set of foot mats from the dealership itself.

My options were:
1) Swift Vdi ABS- The car is 5-6years old now, no doubt that the car is very hassle free, easy maintenance, gives 18kmpl in city & a very good re-sale.

2) Hyundai i-20 CRDi- Just loved the 90bhp 1400cc engine, amazingly fast, only hatch with 6gears for front, spacious, looks big, very comfy & a fresh design from hyundai.

3) Fiat Punto 90hp- Still not as fast as i-20, even though the car has a lot of space & gives decent mileage. The only drawback which comes to my mind was after sales service & resale.

4) Ford Figo TDCi- The car handles really well & gives decent mileage but just didn’t liked the car.

5) Volkswagen Polo TDi- By far the best car in terms of space, plastic quality, comfort but felt under-powered & the maintenance cost is much more compared to the other cars in this segment.

So, finally settled for the Hyundai i-20 CRDi ERA(i guess its the first one on the forum), got all the necessary features in this car like front power windows, power steering, AC & a few other small features.

Positives-
1. Just love the punch which I get after 2000rps
2. Extremely comfortable compared to the other cars in this segment.
3. The car doesn’t feels underpowered even after 5people on board
4. Nice fuel economy(14kmpl in city & 19kmpl on the highway)
5. Just love the looks of this car

Negatives
1. Noise from the steering on rough roads
2. I’ve to keep on shifting gears more frequently to keep the car in the turbo band.
3. vibration in the gear knob
4. The cabin noise is more compared to verna crdi or Getz crdi

The car is less than 3months old & ive already done 9200kms on the odo & im extremely happy with the car & its performance. Got the second service done at 7400kms rather than getting it done at 10000kms.

Build quality and fit & finish-
The build quality is very good compared to the punto but not better than the polo.

Air conditioner-
Ive heard a lot many people talking about the bad cooling of ac in this car but so far I haven’t faced any such problem. Even in today’s delhi heat with the temperature rising somewhere around 40degrees the car cools down extremely well.

High speed stability-
The car is presently running on 175/70R14 Apollo Accelere’s which I feel are too small for the car & are not providing a proper grip, need to replace them very soon!

Accessories-
1) Mud flaps & foot mats were provided by the showroom itself.
2) Autocop central locking just for remote locking from hyundai itself(central locking with immobilizer was provided by the company itself)
3) Audio- got the Pioneer AVH-P4250DVD touch screen with panel from Auto Marc whereas the 4speakers & 2tweeters were provided by the company itself
4) Rear tray & curtain
5) Got 3M tints 50% for both the sides & 30% for front & rear
6) Got the OE ASTA model rims from BK Tyres lajpat nagar installed on 175/70R14 Apollo Accelere's
7) Gear lock from Hyundai original
8) Full body cover again from Hyundai
9)Door footstep garnish

Guys there is one thing which i would like to ask, i inquired about the Pete's tuning box for the i-20 crdi but they said that the tuning box for the 6speed i20 is not yet available(same goes for the stock replacement green cotton air filter). Are there any other tuning boxes available in the market which i can go for?
Attached Thumbnails
My diamond black Hyundai i20 CRDi is finally here!-1.jpg  

My diamond black Hyundai i20 CRDi is finally here!-2.jpg  

My diamond black Hyundai i20 CRDi is finally here!-3.jpg  

My diamond black Hyundai i20 CRDi is finally here!-4.jpg  

My diamond black Hyundai i20 CRDi is finally here!-5.jpg  

My diamond black Hyundai i20 CRDi is finally here!-6.jpg  

My diamond black Hyundai i20 CRDi is finally here!-7.jpg  

My diamond black Hyundai i20 CRDi is finally here!-8.jpg  

My diamond black Hyundai i20 CRDi is finally here!-9.jpg  

My diamond black Hyundai i20 CRDi is finally here!-10.jpg  

My diamond black Hyundai i20 CRDi is finally here!-11.jpg  

My diamond black Hyundai i20 CRDi is finally here!-13.jpg  

My diamond black Hyundai i20 CRDi is finally here!-15.jpg  

My diamond black Hyundai i20 CRDi is finally here!-16.jpg  

My diamond black Hyundai i20 CRDi is finally here!-18.jpg  

My diamond black Hyundai i20 CRDi is finally here!-img_4799.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by caroholic1 : 3rd June 2011 at 16:56.
caroholic1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 01:21   #2
BHPian

Default re: My diamond black Hyundai i20 CRDi is finally here!

Hi Caroholic,

Let me be the first to congratulate you on the Lovely Black i20.

Request you to please provide a more detailed initial ownership and driving experience of the car.
Since you have done 1,100 km already, would ask you to tell how she moves and grooves!
Also, if you feel comfortable to, do share the break-up of the costs incurred in procuring the Rims form the Asta variant and the Pioneer HU, along with the OTR price of the car itself.

Enjoy your beauty.
Cheers and drive safe.
Sam
samarth.bhatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 02:41   #3
BHPian

Congratulation on your Diamond black i20 CRDI

Short and crisp review, thanks for bringing it up.

Now, please tell us about the OTR price, waiting period if any and ICE upgrade

Based on my experience with Hyundai dealers I see that they don't encourage customer to buy ERA model as it is the base variant, instead they push Asta to all customer. They discourage customer telling ERA model has huge waiting period and production is very less and push for Asta. Now, how did you manage to get Era??
camchennai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 03:01   #4
BHPian

Thanks guys....

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
Hi Caroholic,

Let me be the first to congratulate you on the Lovely Black i20.

Request you to please provide a more detailed initial ownership and driving experience of the car.
Since you have done 1,100 km already, would ask you to tell how she moves and grooves!
Also, if you feel comfortable to, do share the break-up of the costs incurred in procuring the Rims form the Asta variant and the Pioneer HU, along with the OTR price of the car itself.

Enjoy your beauty.
Cheers and drive safe.
Sam
The car cost me 6.40 on-road delhi.
Rims-10,000
HU-25,000(with 2years warranty)
Quote:
Originally Posted by camchennai View Post
Congratulation on your Diamond black i20 CRDI

Short and crisp review, thanks for bringing it up.

Now, please tell us about the OTR price, waiting period if any and ICE upgrade

Based on my experience with Hyundai dealers I see that they don't encourage customer to buy ERA model as it is the base variant, instead they push Asta to all customer. They discourage customer telling ERA model has huge waiting period and production is very less and push for Asta. Now, how did you manage to get Era??
I totally agree with you that the dealers are the least interested in selling the era model & insist you to go for atleast the magna model which was not value for money in my case, since i wanted a touch screen, rims, etc & the asta model was way out of my budget. After booking the car it took almost a month to get the car since the production started after 22nd Feb(as told by the dealer) & all the 2011 manufactured cars were on order based whichever model you go for. So, booked the Diamond black colour which i always wanted in an i-20

Few more pics.................
Attached Images

Last edited by caroholic1 : 15th March 2011 at 03:09.
Old 15th March 2011, 03:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

i20 looks a stunner in black!
Great buy - the rims look nice, the touch screen audio should sound nicer, the engine should feel nicest - congrats!
blackasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 09:24   #6
BHPian

HI Caraholic,

Congrats and wish you many happy motoring miles with your new ride. Like you said the dealers are least intrested in selling the base era. I enquired for a friend in bangalore and they said the waiting period was 3 months (!) and were pushing for the magna. Good looks in black and you have nicely accesorised it.

Happy motoring.
Nanolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 14:16   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations on the car! Please note that Team-BHP does not permit booking / buying experience threads in the Test-Drives section anymore. For the benefit of members & guests alike, it is now imperative to include a complete report on the car (the driving experience / comfort / features, what you like, what you don't like etc.). To know more about this rule, and for review guidelines, please view this announcement.

Your thread is temporarily closed. Please report this post once you are ready to update with a complete driving & ownership report; that's when it shall be re-opened. Thanks for your support.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 12:48   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: My diamond black Hyundai i20 CRDi is finally here!

Thanks for sharing! Thread Moved Back to the public forum
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 13:39   #9
BHPian

Congrats on the new ride caroholic1
The car looks hot in black. Have you done the sunfilms yet? If not, go in for a good quality brand like Llumar or 3M with high heat rejection figures and if possible also get the front windshield filmed. Would help immensely to keep the cabin temperature down being a black car. Glad to hear that Hyundai has worked on getting the AC issues addressed in the newer i20s.
jayded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 14:59   #10
BHPian

Congrats on the new ride @caroholic. By the way, what is the update on your Getz ? Did you sell it off or is it still with you ? And how many miles have you clocked in it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Congrats on the new ride caroholic1
The car looks hot in black. Have you done the sunfilms yet? If not, go in for a good quality brand like Llumar or 3M with high heat rejection figures and if possible also get the front windshield filmed. Would help immensely to keep the cabin temperature down being a black car. Glad to hear that Hyundai has worked on getting the AC issues addressed in the newer i20s.
Mate..he has already mentioned in the first post itself about the sunfilm which he has installed
Quote:
Originally Posted by caroholic1
5) Got 3M tints 50% for both the sides & 30% for front & rear

Last edited by Repsol : 4th June 2011 at 15:01.
Repsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 23:53   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
@caroholic. By the way, what is the update on your Getz ? Did you sell it off or is it still with you ? And how many miles have you clocked in it ?
Thanks Jayded & Repsol.
Ive sold the getz buddy. Used it for a year & a half, did 43000kms on the odo. Considering the drastic increase in fuel prises it was the best time to sell her off as not many people know that the car has been discontinued & buy something in diesel. Plus i've always wanted to go for this car
caroholic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 00:20   #12
BHPian

Got the tints upgraded from 50% to 35%visibility(3M)
Few more pics........
Attached Thumbnails
My diamond black Hyundai i20 CRDi is finally here!-5.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by caroholic1 : 8th June 2011 at 00:22.
Old 8th June 2011, 12:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

Isn't it mandatory to have 50% visibility on the sides and 70% on front and rear in Delhi?
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 16:40   #14
BHPian

wow man. she looks beautiful in the pics you posted. just a couple of questions.
how much does the alloys cost you? nice choice.
and the average you mentioned, is that with AC on?
nacd80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 18:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: My diamond black Hyundai i20 CRDi is finally here!

@Carholic1

Thats a mean looking machine you have there. The black colour looks a typical gangsta car. Looks like you have maintained it quite well.

Couple of questions - What did the Pioneer HU cost? Is the sunfilm you installed legal coz I agree with Dry Ice. Whats the average you have been getting lately?
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote