Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 15th March 2011, 23:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Premier Rio : Quick drive!

Is VFM defined by the price tag only or does it also matter what we are getting ? Its fairly ridiculous to think of this junk as VFM ! I have had the chance to drive this car, its such a plain jane slow poke engine with tottering handling that I can categorise it only as NUV ( No Utility Vehicle) . Its cheaper to take a old chassis of a Willy's Jeep and plug in one of those powerful water pumps do a paint job and drive it around !
souravc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 01:01   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Everyone who knows a fair bit about cars knows Rio is clearly the worst car sold in our country. If you know a even worse car, please name it.

I think I know a bit about cars and I think Rio is still good(We owned cars all the time, I've been driving different cars for almost 25 years now). If you say I do not know anything, I dont mind,

Having said that, I never touched this car, I closest I've seen this was 15 metrest from back and sides. So, though the engine is a great one(pls don not compare this engine with the current generation engines) and car features and spec are good, I do not know how well Premier managed to mate it to the car. So I can not comment on the overall package. Maruti has managed to effectively mate this engine to Zen and Esteem. There were minor issues initially(not related to the enging) after sorting which there was no looking back. Zen initially did not have power steering and the diesel zen was too hard to steer. But once it managed to come out with the electronic power steering, it was a breeze.

I actually tried sourcing a new TUD5 engine from Maruti to mate it to my Padmini, but could not manage.

I do not think there is any other such vehicle which offers such old generation engines, so it can not compare to the current generation cars. When I look at the car considering what I need and what I want to pay for the finer things I want, Rio is the one(provided it has proper after sales support which is currently pathetic).

If you ask me for even worst car(assuming Premier was unsuccessful in properly mating the engine), the only car that comes to my mind is the Chinkara(with an engine from Ambassador, a fibre body, some systems from Maruti ...I've never seen this car and do not know the quality). But then, when these cars never did well because of their poor sales and service network, what can we compare them with.

Rio is the one that came into fill an untapped segment and it prompted other bigges to pitch in. Mahindra will be soon launching a shorter version of xylo. Ya, the mini xylo will be backed by Mahindra and will do in good numbers. But I do not like xylo looks either(excuse me xylo fans) and shorer xylo is unimaginable on looks front(I do like their new pick up ingenio, the front end suits). Assuming exactly same support for both Rio and Xylo, and assuming Premier did will on mating the engine to Rio, I prefer Rio to Xylo.

Quote:
Agreed Maruti sold dated cars for decades, but i do not find anything wrong with the current line up expect Omni, Gypsy and 800. None of the newer cars fail miserably on the safety front. Remember, when Maruti had Esteem and Zen D with the same TUD5 Diesel engine, they could not find any takers.
On the contrary, Zen diesel and Esteem diesel had a waiting period in Hyderabad while their petrol siblings were available off the shelf. The rate of interest for these cars was higher here and no discounts offered while the petrol ones were given at lower rate of interest and also discounts. There was a waiting of 4 months when I bought my Zen Di in 2004. Even after production was stopped(I think 2005), few here managed to stock up these cars and sold them for premium later.

A friend of mine sold his 2001 Zen with 93000km on the odo for 1.25 lakhs last month. It still fetches good value in the used car market here.

Quote:
This TUD5 engine was firstly launched in the 90's under the hood of Peugeot 309 in the 90's. This engine is as antique as it gets, for this age when we have the brilliant Common Rail engine under the bonnets of each and every Diesel car, it's unacceptably loud and weak(even with the Turbo).
Very true, its an antique. But still a good engine, but we can not compare this to current generation engines. It needs to be looked at as itself, It does what it does, and does it very reliably. A well maintained TUD5 is not really unacceptably loud, it is loud ofcourse compared to current engines. With proper cabin insulating, one will be comfortable with the windows rolled up. Ya, we can not race with this engine.

Current generation engines are good as long as their is any problem, but when there is a problem it is equally difficult. My Accent CRDi had a injector malfunctioning. It wouldn't start sometimes no matter how long u crank it, but it starts immediately if you push start. The injector was replaced at a cost of Rs.18,000(only one injector). Just fitting a new injector will not do the job, it seems like the new injectors number(or code or whatever) needs to be entered into the cars electronics and only then this new injector will be accepted by the cars system. It is all so complex. This was when Accent CRDi was still in production and so it was easy, but imagine the same issue 5 years after the production stops. Apart from the high cost, finding the injector itself will be difficult, and finding the related electronic equipment will be even more difficult. This is the problem with the current generation engines. I still have a 1955 land master mated to an antique Isuzu engine, may be loud, but I love it, and I can easily maintain the car for few more decades which I do not think I can do with my Scorpio or Accent.

One thing is for sure, as long as any car does not have proper sales and service network, its not a right decision to buy it even if its a gem of a car.

-Vinay.
asdfvinay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 23:08   #33
BHPian

When people think twice buying a FIAT car with the latest technology and wonderful design, I really don't know how they will think about Rio.
nim_peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 11:39   #34
BHPian

I really dont know how good or how bad the car is, but I believe this one is not here to stay. The Rio showroom in Koramangala has already been shut down. Clearly in terms of numbers it has failed to deliver.
nurni76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 11:50   #35
Senior - BHPian

well, what do you expect?
Its been more than a year is it was shown as a production model, and till now, i have NEVER seen one, in delhi at least.
Shame though.
In the license raj, it would have been lapped up, with a waiting list to boot!
wish they'd spruce up the specs, bring up quality to the price point, and most importantly, do a tie-up and rebadge it.
remember the dog-business and BMW badge viral ad?
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 12:00   #36
BHPian

Initially when I saw the car, the first impression it made was a nice mini SUV with big wheels. But as I tried to dig more about the vehicle, my interests got deteriorated. First it is slightly overpriced. Most of the parts are imported from China (Daihatsu platform). Fit and finish is average. After sales service should increase when sales increase. Dated Peugeot engine with just 1.5L would not be enough. Struggles to get more power on highways with bit high NVH levels. Resale value is also a concern.

Improvements required for the vehicle are, minor face lift to the front grille as the chrome strip takes away its macho looks. Slope on the bonnet is more, need to be reduced. A rear spoiler would be preferrable and add to its SUV kind of looks.
yogeshnaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 12:56   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
I really dont know how good or how bad the car is, but I believe this one is not here to stay. The Rio showroom in Koramangala has already been shut down. Clearly in terms of numbers it has failed to deliver.
Uh Oh. I saw the car in the Koramangala showroom a few months back but couldn't spend much time as I was in a hurry. Must say, it looked to me then that Premier is back with a bang.

I was actually thinking when I went through this thread that I should go to the showroom and take a first hand look. Now you say its closed. Oh well...
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 16:35   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim_peter View Post
When people think twice buying a FIAT car with the latest technology and wonderful design, I really don't know how they will think about Rio.
Yes, you are right. Conversely, people in India will buy any crap from Toyota and Honda. If this same Rio had a H/T badge, the line would have stretched from here to Moon.
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 16:50   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
...If this same Rio had a H/T badge, the line would have stretched from here to Moon.
Not without reason. Their quality and service speak for themselves. I have driven Hondas with over a lac km on the odo in a country like Nigeria where roads are bad and fuel quality is dicey at best. The cars always wanted to keep going. Toyotas have a similar reliability tale to tell.
lucifer1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 12:46   #40
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Premier Rio : Quick drive!

Look what i found, parked outside my office.
Look at the i10 behind to get a size context.
Alloys are aftermarket, aint it so?
decent interiors, faux CF cowl on the instrument binnacle.
1 din mp3 unit.

for all in GGN/Delhi, call that number for a TD.
Looks like they're re-pitching the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Premier Rio : Quick drive!-dsc_0315.jpg  

Old 27th April 2011, 01:19   #41
BHPian

It surely could have been a hit. When i first saw the pictures of this car on Team-bhp, i really wanted it to succeed, if only to push Maruti to bring about the Jimny.

No matter what anyone says, I think this is a very solid segment waiting to be tapped.

i drive a hatch. i would like to places where roads are "not so good" in my own car without any trouble and i would love to be able to have a car that can take me to such places (ladakh may be) but I cannot afford big SUVs, let alone their 4x4 versions.

Gypsy and Thar are well .......at best enthusiasts' cars. None of them have the usual comfort features, AC, power steering, good seats, and a proper top. Sure, once can add these things to a gypsy or a thar but then that would escalate the price to somewhere near the big SUV (i mean the desi ones).

So, if something came at 5-6-7 lakhs and had some bad road capability (I so wanted to write off-road capability) I think it would definitely sell.

The Rio looked promising because it comes from Daihatsu Terios (as everyone seems to suggest) but alas Premier is not the launchpad for this.

i still pray it sells in some respectable numbers so that the big guys wake up and give something to this segment. Jimny or the toyota equivalent, or the SX4 hatch 4x4 ........

wishful thinking............? I know.
novice_alto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 10:32   #42
Senior - BHPian

There is a CS version of the Xylo on the cards. I hope this fits in the vacant slot in the Indian car market. It really is surprising that this segment has not been tapped by any manufacturer at all
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 10:54   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Yes, you are right. Conversely, people in India will buy any crap from Toyota and Honda. If this same Rio had a H/T badge, the line would have stretched from here to Moon.
H and T would be doing something right to command that kind of market share, don't you think? They have been in India long enough and the brand name alone wouldn't have sold for so long if they were not worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Uh Oh. I saw the car in the Koramangala showroom a few months back but couldn't spend much time as I was in a hurry. Must say, it looked to me then that Premier is back with a bang.

I was actually thinking when I went through this thread that I should go to the showroom and take a first hand look. Now you say its closed. Oh well...
You might have saved your valuable time by not visiting the showroom. The Rio looks like a beast from the early 80s.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 27th April 2011 at 10:55.
fuel_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 13:23   #44
BHPian

Let us imagine for a moment of what Premier might have thought of while bringing out Rio.

1. Untapped market for a mini-SUV with a large aspirational audience.
2. Proven diesel engine, reasonably economical to be presented before people who eagerly snap up anything diesel ( I can think of very few diesel cars in India which outright failed to click).
3. Cost of the product (which could be brought down by sourcing from a Chinese manufacturer).
4. Reasonably good looking (again very subjective).
5. Their brand (Yes, I am not joking. I was an admirer of Premier Padmini having driven one extensively. The last genuine 6 seater sedan, I think. Had even preferred it over the m800. If Premier were to come back, I for one wouldn't mind owning one, if supported well).

So Premier thought they had all the cards in their hand with Rio. What they had failed to understand that the Indian market had grown in the meantime and the customer had grown more discerning. People definitely wanted a Mini-SUV, but were more demanding on the quality front and were wary of the service support provided by Premier. The Rio is again not likely to prove attractive to cabbies, who would prefer the larger MUVs like Xylo or Bolero.

I think as purely city vehicle, the Rio can survive, if
1. Premier takes pains to market it.
2. Improve quality of interiors.
3. Most important - provide reliable support. If they can't do it alone, have a tie up with someone else.

Since none of the above is likely to happen, the Rio might well fail.

I have seen the car and liked its looks. So to the question would I like to buy it ? The answer would be yes. if ( and it is a pretty big if)

1.Interior fit and finish improves (possible)
2.Premier support proves to be reliable (Not likely)
3.My highway runs reduce (equally less likely).
vkumars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 13:22   #45
Senior - BHPian

look what i saw on the e-way!
may be underpowered, but was definitely not a laggard.
on the road really out the size in perspective.
It is quite small!
presence cred was slightly between a santro and a safari, more towards the latter.
Attached Thumbnails
Premier Rio : Quick drive!-img00044201108090903.jpg