Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 9th August 2011, 13:28   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Premier Rio : Quick drive!

As per the news item in an Auto magazine they have upgraded the Rio with a lot (may be few for some) of goodies, including some upgrades for the engine.

This will definitely answer some queries raised by the critics. Buzz is it will have the Fiat 1.3 liter multijet engine . Got some info at the site.

http://bharathautos.com/2011-premier...s-october.html

I will try to dig out exact details of the same from the magazine.

Edit: I got another news article which says the engine remains the same.

http://autos.maxabout.com/cars/premi...r-rio/cvid1985

Last edited by manishalive : 9th August 2011 at 13:46.
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 21:00   #47
BHPian

Point taken - RIO may not be as reliable as other's.
But hasn't it created a New segment?

And i dont think we have to debate over buying/using this car since almost everyone who is discussing this is not going to buy it anyways.

So we should just look at RIO as something different, and that's it.
We can discuss possibilities , as to what can make it better.

Its up to other manufacturers to take notice of this, Maruti can think of getting JIMNY with DDiS, and then we all can dream of a cheap 4WD mini SUV.
silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 22:15   #48
Senior - BHPian

Yes one thing Positive that the new Rio has done is create a new segment.
Only downside to that again being it has not been received rather well. So other manufacturers will be cautious. Many will choose to avoid this segment.
It will make a big difference if Maruti enters this segment and succeeds.
Would love to see the Jimmy on our shores.
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 22:26   #49
Senior - BHPian

I have been contemplating on buying RIO for sometime.I took a test drive last month and I was satisfied with the drive.Its crammed space wise and the interiors were kind of cheap.But i would rate it 3.5/5 in terms of a total vehicle.Since Im not power crazy,I prefer this sober mini SUV.
hillram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 10:06   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
I have been contemplating on buying RIO for sometime.I took a test drive last month and I was satisfied with the drive.Its crammed space wise and the interiors were kind of cheap.But i would rate it 3.5/5 in terms of a total vehicle.Since Im not power crazy,I prefer this sober mini SUV.
its more of the ASC and other company related back-up stuff that is the major problem here.
contemplate that too, before going down the rio road.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 10:23   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Was this a new 2011 Rio or the old one. In the new Rio they have upped the ante. I think Rio Lovers will definitely like that.
Old 10th August 2011, 19:18   #52
Senior - BHPian

Yes After sales service could be an issue to.
Not sure they have a wide service network, and the quality of it will be pretty unknown too.
But if you do go in for it, it may just as well be the first Rio on T-BHP and that will be quite cool.
Do keep us posted on your decision and progress.
Good Luck!
Old 10th August 2011, 19:31   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

given the iffy nature of premier, the overall quality aspect, the fact that the engine is really a joke, the price sitting at 7 odd lacs for the upper end version and the overall fit and finish etc, I would not suggest anyone considers this RIO.
better to await the Duster and buy it.
If Premier were really serious they could have positioned this as an alternative at a far cheaper level, to things like the Yeti and so on. But their expectations on pricing vis a vis what they give one in the RIO package, is totally unrealistic!
Added to this there is always the worry about parts and service.
I dont understand why we should even accept such a vehicle - a 4 generation old Daihatsu Terios whose dies were sitting in China and sold there as some ZOTYE, re-packaged as the RIO and sold in India! Just what are Premier and gang thinking?
The Indian consumer certainly deserves, wants and can afford better stuff and from all indications is clearly voting with their wallets as well as feet, against such things!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 19:45   #54
Senior - BHPian

Also another option could be the mini Xylo from Mahindra.
Which is expected this year.
it would be powered by a three cylinder 1.5 liter diesel motor.
it would make a much more reliable choice compared to the Rio.
and is expected to have the spare on the back.
Just like the Rio.
I think many of us find the Rio appealing mostly because it's relatively affordable and has the spare mounted on the tailgate.
Old 10th August 2011, 22:47   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
the price sitting at 7 odd lacs for the upper end version and the overall fit and finish etc, I would not suggest anyone considers this RIO.
better to await the Duster and buy it.
If Premier were really serious they could have positioned this as an alternative at a far cheaper level, to things like the Yeti and so on. But their expectations on pricing vis a vis what they give one in the RIO package, is totally unrealistic!
We cannot just like that talk about pricing without discussing costing. Who knows because of their setup the costing itself would be huge. I do know market is not going to accept that.

But then If we look at LRAC Curve (Long Range Average Cost), at lower production we have higher cost. But it is also self understood that at that level the quality is top notch, which the Premier Rio sincerely lacks.
Old 16th November 2011, 11:15   #56
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

List of worst Indian Cars:
1) HM Ambassador: Dont know why is HM allowed to even produce this in

2) Mahindra Thar: Seriously 8+ lacs for a car with hacksaw cut dashboard, window winders which come out in your hands, rear seat springs which cut your hands, rust patches on the soft top frames, body panels which come out dented from the factory. Or is it that M&M charges 7.9 lac for the scorpio derived engine and chassis and 10 odd thousand for the remaining car

3) Maruti Omni

4) Tata Safari: After 10+ years Tata motors have not been able to give decent quality interiors and niggle free mechanicals.

About Premier RiO I am not sure how is it as a car, but definitely for a car costing 7 lacs on road, and not even Euro4 compliant is a shame.
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2016, 14:36   #57
BHPian

Hello any update on this vehicle? have they done any improvement and are they serious to sell it to people. Do they have a dealer in Bangalore?

Shanks
myshanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2016, 17:24   #58
Senior - BHPian

They did upgrade the vehicle with a Fiat sourced MJD 1.3 L engine but had gone into oblivion. There was a dealership here in Kochi located at Kalamassery which pulled down its shutters more than an year ago..
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote