Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 29th March 2011, 21:05   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Ford Figo White TDCi Titanium - Initial Ownership Report

Thanks! OT: Have'nt met any Rohin's before Glad to know that I am not the only one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
Congrats on the new car Rohin.

Btw we both share the same name.
rohing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 22:17   #17
BHPian

Congratulations on the New Car Rohing.

AFAIK Considering tyres in Figo I would suggest you to stay on the MRF ones because the road noise from OEM MRFs are the least when compared to Appollo and Good Year OEM ones. I asked my cousin to select a car for me and the first thing he was looking for are the ones with MRF tyres.
ramharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2011, 00:11   #18
Senior - BHPian

The white beauty looks great. Congrats and Wish you Many Happy Safe Kms.

This a superb to the point review and I am sure will be a great help to many choosing their cars, not only Figo.

Any reason why one of the well spoken cars, Polo is missing from selection? Waiting duration?

Figo is no doubt a total VFM. I had liked it when I test drove it. The only hitch I experienced was on picking up from standstill on even mild inclines and sudden breaking and pickup required in traffic where it felt a little letdown. But overall it is superb.
parsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2011, 22:23   #19
BHPian

@ rohing - Dont even think of driving till bangalore with no number plates.
However i have never heard of the 100 km without RC Book rule. Typically it might even take more than 15 days and there is no reason to stay within some city limits.
baluundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2011, 10:08   #20
BHPian

I meant driving with number plates but without RC Book. I was told by the sales rep that one should not drive more than 100Kms without RC Book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baluundertaker View Post
@ rohing - Dont even think of driving till bangalore with no number plates.
However i have never heard of the 100 km without RC Book rule. Typically it might even take more than 15 days and there is no reason to stay within some city limits.
Thanks Parsh. I did consider the Polo and it is a very nice car. However, did not consider it because of the following issues:

- Too long a wait period (anything above 2 weeks sounds unresonable to me). They said 3 months at the least.

- The Polo looks quite big outside but space inside is much more constrained

- VFM factor. The car was too expensive for what it offered to me. I wanted the top end.

- Lack of adequate number of service stations. I like to drive a lot and to remote places. Did not want to get stuck somewhere without a service station. I understand that Ford is not the best in this category either but they are not as sparse as VW and Skoda I think.

I actually like the Fabia too. However, the service problems, expensive parts and low number of service stations discouraged me from buying it. Also for its price, the interiors look ordinary.

While Figo is an average car in most aspects, I liked a lot of extra features it offered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
The white beauty looks great. Congrats and Wish you Many Happy Safe Kms.

This a superb to the point review and I am sure will be a great help to many choosing their cars, not only Figo.

Any reason why one of the well spoken cars, Polo is missing from selection? Waiting duration?

Figo is no doubt a total VFM. I had liked it when I test drove it. The only hitch I experienced was on picking up from standstill on even mild inclines and sudden breaking and pickup required in traffic where it felt a little letdown. But overall it is superb.

Last edited by Dippy : 1st April 2011 at 23:08. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use the multi quote option instead of creating back to back posts. Thanks
Old 31st March 2011, 10:33   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohing View Post
Thanks Parsh. I did consider the Polo and it is a very nice car. However, did not consider it because of the following issues:

- Too long a wait period (anything above 2 weeks sounds unresonable to me). They said 3 months at the least.

- The Polo looks quite big outside but space inside is much more constrained

- VFM factor. The car was too expensive for what it offered to me. I wanted the top end.

- Lack of adequate number of service stations. I like to drive a lot and to remote places. Did not want to get stuck somewhere without a service station. I understand that Ford is not the best in this category either but they are not as sparse as VW and Skoda I think.

I actually like the Fabia too. However, the service problems, expensive parts and low number of service stations discouraged me from buying it. Also for its price, the interiors look ordinary.

While Figo is an average car in most aspects, I liked a lot of extra features it offered.
This is even better. You ticked all the right boxes with your needs. Figo does come out on top of all as a complete package at the price point. I think although the service stations are sparser than Maruti or others (except VW), the serviceability could be addressed well with proper maintainance. Some of my friends have Fiestas lasting long time with negligible niggles. Quite a superb decision based on all-round thinking. Do keep posting your driving experiences. I am keen to know how the engine responds in various cases.
parsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2011, 13:23   #22
BHPian

I understand that the looks of the car are subjective. But to my eyes, Figo has always been quite a good looking car. Here are things I like about it -

1. The stance (nice and balanced)
2. The area below the headlight. I wish the headlights were more angular (more like the polo)

3. The back of the car

I guess I like the 80's European kind of design. Few more pictures of the car and for the first time its front.

Quick update on a few items:

Ride: The ride is bouncy in the city. I think a tyre change might help.

Fixing Front Plates: Like many owners have mentioned, there are no front plates on the Figo. I think one has to drill holes or use strong double sided stickers to get them on. Wonder why Ford did not provide this?

Gears Gear changing is generally nice and smooth. But sometimes there is some ambiguity during changing i.e. it can go to no man's land. I thought modern day gearboxes should not be having these issues? Also the shift need little bit of effort, hoping it will smoothen as time passes. The gear stick position is also little different from Baleno/city. Sometime I would be in fourth, but if I look at it, it would seem like it is in neutral.

Dim/Bright: The dim/bright mechanism is little different. It is not the usual toggle switch. For both dim and bright you have to full the lever firmly towards you and then it will change. It feels like the lever might break soon due to this mechanism but I guess that is just the perception
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Figo White TDCi Titanium - Initial Ownership Report-p1000642.jpg  

Ford Figo White TDCi Titanium - Initial Ownership Report-p1000646.jpg  

Ford Figo White TDCi Titanium - Initial Ownership Report-p1000648.jpg  

Ford Figo White TDCi Titanium - Initial Ownership Report-p1000643.jpg  

Ford Figo White TDCi Titanium - Initial Ownership Report-p1000644.jpg  

Ford Figo White TDCi Titanium - Initial Ownership Report-p1000647.jpg  

Ford Figo White TDCi Titanium - Initial Ownership Report-p1000649.jpg  

Old 31st March 2011, 18:19   #23
BHPian

Hey, Good to see that another lucky soul has joined the club.
Truly terrific car. I bought a White TDCI Titanium 2 weeks back and I love it to bits. Agree to all ur points.

I spent a massively uncomfortable 2 months deciding b/w SWIFT and FIGO. Finally my heart and head agreed on one thing...."A car is more than just the engine. Its how it drives that makes or breaks the car". It turns out that I was correct.

I beleive that Apollo Accelere is the best among the Indian made OEM tyres. My Figo came factory fitted on a JK. Got it changed to Acceleres by the dealership. Turns out to be good decision again. Absolute confidence in wet and dry conditions. Sticks to the tarmac and maintains its line no matter what. The steering is a gem. Its as if it reads your mind.
itsgeox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2011, 21:20   #24
BHPian

Thank itsgeox and congrats on your TDCI. It is indeed a nice car.

On the topic of tyres, I on MRF's. I have not driven fast or in rain to judge the grip. I however feel that the ride is a little on the rougher side and changing into softer ones like Michelin XM1's will help improve the ride.

Harder Tyres + Stiffer Suspension = bouncy/hard ride

I think all OEM tyres are on the harder side? Incase of a tyre upgrade I think I would like to to stick to a 65 sidewall and would be averse to going to a 195/60 combination just to keep the ride softer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsgeox View Post
Hey, Good to see that another lucky soul has joined the club.
Truly terrific car. I bought a White TDCI Titanium 2 weeks back and I love it to bits. Agree to all ur points.

I spent a massively uncomfortable 2 months deciding b/w SWIFT and FIGO. Finally my heart and head agreed on one thing...."A car is more than just the engine. Its how it drives that makes or breaks the car". It turns out that I was correct.

I beleive that Apollo Accelere is the best among the Indian made OEM tyres. My Figo came factory fitted on a JK. Got it changed to Acceleres by the dealership. Turns out to be good decision again. Absolute confidence in wet and dry conditions. Sticks to the tarmac and maintains its line no matter what. The steering is a gem. Its as if it reads your mind.
Old 31st March 2011, 22:52   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalaps View Post
Congratulations on Figo! White certainly suits Figo. Pictures please!

Happy to see Airbags & ABS are required in car which is having ORTHODOX looks.
May I know what you mean by this? What has being 'Orthodox' looking got to do with Safety? Or you think ABS and Airbags are just two more badges on a car to increase its perceived cost? Hell, I will pay to have ABS and airbags on almost any car I would buy!
torquecurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 11:42   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohing View Post
I meant driving with number plates but without RC Book. I was told by the sales rep that one should not drive more than 100Kms without RC Book.
Faced a similar situation. Do you have the reciept for the challan submitted with the RTO? That should suffice for a month, to the best of my knowledge. There is no limitation in terms of KMs driven.
I couldn't get the RC for a while since it was lying at my home 250 KMs away. Was stopped by a cop but managed to argue myself out of it, thanks to the reciept, although it was two months old.

Congrats on the purchase, hope you have a great time with your vehicle.
avisidhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 22:31   #27
BHPian

Two other points that I am noticing in the car -

- The horn is very stiff. I think this is only in the model with the airbags (Titanium). I have noticed this in other Figo reviews as well. Anyone have solutions for this?

- The footwell is cramped. It would have been nice to have little more space and a dead pedal. This will be felt more during highway drives.
Old 1st April 2011, 22:33   #28
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Rohing. White is best always and no nonsense colour. Excellent and detailed crisp Report.

I am also 183 cms tall (how to express in inch - I say 6'1" and 1/2) and took delivery from Rajshree ford. I think we are the only two tbphians (till now) booked and taken delivery of Figo TDCi (offcourse the variant differs - mine is EXi) in Coimbatore.

I think the response differ person to person. Since I went through a very good ref, they treated me better.
Luckily you did not opt for anything extra... Seems that you have done all outside.

- Will take some time to get to the correct driving position. Neck pillows may help a bit
- Power of the engine is definitely less (cannot be compared to MJD's) so need to downshift when you foresee loss in pulling power
- I have Good Year. I think Indian rubbers are almost have the same comfortness. It is better to go for Michelin XM+ with alloys.
-- You cannot make this as a tiltable steering..
--You should not drive either without Number plates or without RC book in any place be it in Bangalore or Coimbatore. Since CBE is relatively small place, you can escape by saying some thing. If your RC is still to come, have the Invoice Co xerox and Insurance Cover Note copies.
-- Suspension will become better after doing 5000 - 10000kms. Since CBE has very good roads (laid for Tamil conference in Jul 10) your suspension may not get the wear and tear.
-- A/c Vent designs are the best in Indian Cars (Fiesta and Logan come with this design)
-- You can use Shanthi Fuel Bunk at Singanalllur (Ultimate quality) and also Nitrogen comes free. Hope you touch a mileage of 16-17 inside the city itself with A/c on.
-- My opinion is Anticorrosion not at all needed for Coimbatore climate.

Have you put the full carpet mats. If planned do it when the car is new

A very good selection Wish you Happy and Safe Motoring....

Last edited by RGK : 1st April 2011 at 22:40.
RGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2011, 23:05   #29
BHPian

Hi Rohin

Congrats on your Figo. It is definitely a VFM car at its price.

I am 6' and own 75BHP Punto MJD E+. When I adjust driver's seat for my comfort, I find enough space in the seat behind it. Offcourse the space is not in Vista league but definitely not a deal breaker IMHO.

Comparing top end of Punto and Figo one gets following in Punto for an additional 1 lac.
1. Slightly Better Engine :-)
2. Alloy Wheels
3. Auto Climate Control
4. Power Windows (Both) - Helps when kids travel in the backseat.
5. Tilt Steering Wheel
6. Steering Controls
7. Fog Lamps
8. Rear Seat 60:40
9. 15 inch wheels as against 14 inchers with fatter tires
10. A dead pedal
11. And yeah it offer most of the small features that Figo offers and some more

Boot space -
Going through the specs, Figo Titanium has 284 ltr boot while Punto has 280. So don't see real difference there. Add to that 60:40 split that Punto offers.

But yes Figo rules in its price range.

Last edited by Rock 'n' rollz : 3rd April 2011 at 23:33.
Rock 'n' rollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 12:38   #30
BHPian

So Rohing, now you are announcing the minor observations which do not get notice when looking at bigger features of a car.

1. Harder horn - Even i found it hard
2. Plastics on Doors - I found it even more subquality than that found in Manza / Vista
3. Cramped footwell - though this could be your personal comfort reading. What I found strange with the accelerator pedal was that it had a short play. Didn't had this observation on any other car I drove.

But then, these may not be real deal breaker for many. Short accelerator pedal and hard horn was an irritant for me. Afterall you use both these things quite frequently while driving.

How much are you getting on mileage now?

@ Rock n Rollz - you are right that for one more lakh you do get those listed features. But would like to check with auto customizers (carnation etc) whether adding that much money on Figo would get similar equipment or not. I know company fitted equipment may have more reliability.
rove_drives is offline   Reply With Quote