Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 4th April 2011, 14:37   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Ford Figo White TDCi Titanium - Initial Ownership Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohing View Post
- The footwell is cramped. It would have been nice to have little more space and a dead pedal. This will be felt more during highway drives.
Footwell cramped in a Figo?
Then what would you call the Punto's footwell?
Daewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 16:08   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Footwell cramped in a Figo?
Then what would you call the Punto's footwell?
Ans: A foothole

Great detailed review Rohin. I fell in love with the Figo Diesel within 60 seconds of test driving it. Alas, the family insists on getting a proper 5 seater. Enjoy the car! btw, have you driven the Figo fully loaded? and if so, did the low Ground Clearance give you much trouble?
gautam109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2011, 17:10   #33
BHPian

Thanks RGK.

- I did the carpeting at Sun per our previous conversation. The work was good. Just FYI: I put thick rubber mats on the carpeting and even they slip!! I probably have to put velcroe on them to stop them from sliding.

- It is good you got a ref when buying a car. But in this day and age on would hope to have a good professional experience in the dealership irrespective of whether you know someone or not..right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Congrats Rohing. White is best always and no nonsense colour. Excellent and detailed crisp Report.

I am also 183 cms tall (how to express in inch - I say 6'1" and 1/2) and took delivery from Rajshree ford. I think we are the only two tbphians (till now) booked and taken delivery of Figo TDCi (offcourse the variant differs - mine is EXi) in Coimbatore.

I think the response differ person to person. Since I went through a very good ref, they treated me better.
Luckily you did not opt for anything extra... Seems that you have done all outside.

- Will take some time to get to the correct driving position. Neck pillows may help a bit
- Power of the engine is definitely less (cannot be compared to MJD's) so need to downshift when you foresee loss in pulling power
- I have Good Year. I think Indian rubbers are almost have the same comfortness. It is better to go for Michelin XM+ with alloys.
-- You cannot make this as a tiltable steering..
--You should not drive either without Number plates or without RC book in any place be it in Bangalore or Coimbatore. Since CBE is relatively small place, you can escape by saying some thing. If your RC is still to come, have the Invoice Co xerox and Insurance Cover Note copies.
-- Suspension will become better after doing 5000 - 10000kms. Since CBE has very good roads (laid for Tamil conference in Jul 10) your suspension may not get the wear and tear.
-- A/c Vent designs are the best in Indian Cars (Fiesta and Logan come with this design)
-- You can use Shanthi Fuel Bunk at Singanalllur (Ultimate quality) and also Nitrogen comes free. Hope you touch a mileage of 16-17 inside the city itself with A/c on.
-- My opinion is Anticorrosion not at all needed for Coimbatore climate.

Have you put the full carpet mats. If planned do it when the car is new

A very good selection Wish you Happy and Safe Motoring....

My reply in bold below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n' rollz View Post
Hi Rohin

Congrats on your Figo. It is definitely a VFM car at its price.
Thank you.

I am 6' and own 75BHP Punto MJD E+. When I adjust driver's seat for my comfort, I find enough space in the seat behind it. Offcourse the space is not in Vista league but definitely not a deal breaker IMHO.

For a given height, there are three kinds of people (believe me or not).
- Some have their height split equally between the upper body and legs
- For some upper body is relatively taller and legs shorter
- For some legs are relatively taller and upper body shorter

I am of the third kind and you may be of the first or second kind! So I have to push my seat further than people of other two types

Comparing top end of Punto and Figo one gets following in Punto for an additional 1 lac.
1. Slightly Better Engine :-)
Agree except when it comes to incity drivability. The Figo drives like a petrol
2. Alloy Wheels
Nice to have (see) but no performance related impact
3. Auto Climate Control
Agree
4. Power Windows (Both) - Helps when kids travel in the backseat.
Agree. this is a deal breaker for many
5. Tilt Steering Wheel
Agree
6. Steering Controls
In a small car not so important but definetly good to have
7. Fog Lamps
Need based unless it is for looks
8. Rear Seat 60:40
Again need based, but would have been useful for me
9. 15 inch wheels as against 14 inchers with fatter tires
Not sure of the value they bring to the table. They look good but Figo's tyres are suited/sufficient for its engine characteristics
10. A dead pedal
Agree
11. And yeah it offer most of the small features that Figo offers and some more

Boot space -
Going through the specs, Figo Titanium has 284 ltr boot while Punto has 280. So don't see real difference there. Add to that 60:40 split that Punto offers.
I don't remember the punto's boot space on the top of my head but the shape and height make a difference

But yes Figo rules in its price range.
Punto is a great car. I love its looks and its engine. However, keeping in mind the cost/availability of spare parts, drivability, price, resale value, the Figo suited me better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rove_drives View Post
So Rohing, now you are announcing the minor observations which do not get notice when looking at bigger features of a car.
Very true
1. Harder horn - Even i found it hard
2. Plastics on Doors - I found it even more subquality than that found in Manza / Vista
3. Cramped footwell - though this could be your personal comfort reading. What I found strange with the accelerator pedal was that it had a short play. Didn't had this observation on any other car I drove.

But then, these may not be real deal breaker for many. Short accelerator pedal and hard horn was an irritant for me. Afterall you use both these things quite frequently while driving.
I wonder if there is a way to make the horn easier to use

How much are you getting on mileage now?
14 in city stop&go conditions

@ Rock n Rollz - you are right that for one more lakh you do get those listed features. But would like to check with auto customizers (carnation etc) whether adding that much money on Figo would get similar equipment or not. I know company fitted equipment may have more reliability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gautam109 View Post
Ans: A foothole

Great detailed review Rohin. I fell in love with the Figo Diesel within 60 seconds of test driving it. Alas, the family insists on getting a proper 5 seater. Enjoy the car! btw, have you driven the Figo fully loaded? and if so, did the low Ground Clearance give you much trouble?
I am driving with 32 psi all around and have no issues so far with ground clearance. Infact, there are several places where my city scrapes but Figo had no issues what so ever
rohing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 01:07   #34
BHPian

Smile Re: Ford Figo White TDCi Titanium - Initial Ownership Report

Hi Rohing, first of all congrats on the car of the year.
Btw did you do those carpet and accessories at sun combines on March 25th? If yes then i think i saw you as i was there for 3M RE35 for my vista delivered the previous day.
smrtdvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 13:31   #35
BHPian

Rohing, congrats for joining the TDCi Figo club ! It is one year since I bought my red hot TDCi Titanium and it rocks :-) . I am sure you would not regret this decision, if you can get over with some irritants like position of controls, lack of rear power window etc.

Your question regarding DVD MP3 - I found out that it does not work. Now I will need to split the 4 GB music to regular audio CDs and try.
Revy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 16:17   #36
BHPian

I know I am late but better late than never.Congrats on the Figo.White Rocks!!Yep.Figo is a car which don't look so bad .The nose of the car is very attractive in my opinion.Get her some nice looking alloys.
Drive safe and always wear seat belts
Sreehari.
shk 8896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 14:37   #37
BHPian

Excellent neat "model" report and discussions. Thank you. Congratulations and Welcome To Tbhp Figos
Deep Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 14:58   #38
BHPian

Thanks Deep Blue, Shk, Revy.

@smrtdvl - It could have been me. There were 2 white Figo's on that day. Also, I was there only for about 30 mins. My driver was there with the car for the most part.

The car has been behaving very good so far.

- When I filled in the tank (for the 2nd time), the DTE showed 575. I had never driven the car on highway till that time. After filling, I drove straight to bangalore and have been driving in bangalore since then - totally about 650 kms and my DTE shows 100 now. So I think this time around the fuel numbers should jump up.

- Got my first underbody hit. Driving single with 32 on all 4 tyres. Entirely my mistake and that of Benguluru Development Authority. Ran over a mountain speed breaker at 11 pm with no road lights. My Figo lights not very helpful. Definetly needs upgrades & fogs

- Revved the car in 3rd gear to 3500 rpm for 2-3 minutes. 3.5k rpm on 3rd is approx 85. Felt good to feel the turbo esp since I have been driving very sedately so far.

- Need to keep remembering to wait to switch of the car. Mostly, I do,sometime when one is in a hurry, accidently switch it off. Then when I hear the turbo sounds after I switch off, I feel horrible....like I hurt my car

- Gear do not slot as nicely as they do in the city. There is some ambiguity..which really suprises me. It is not bad a say the old cars but expected a little more from ford on that department.
Old 15th April 2011, 22:55   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations!

I drive 2-3 Maruti Cars with air-bags and I find their horn harder to operate compared to Figo's.

Contrary to most, me & Tirthankar have found the OE lamps to be satisfactory.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 20:31   #40
BHPian

Quote:
5. Fuel lid: The Fuel lid opens through the remote key or a button in the dash. However, Ford has given a small hole (like the ones which have to be opened with hand). I am sure someone is going to tug it open one day or an another.
I think you mixed boot and fuel lid here. Its the boot that opens through the remote key or a button in the dash and not the fuel lid

The small hole that you are referring in ur post is on the fuel lid, which is of no use since the lid opens from inside. Sometimes at the pump we take time to open the lid from inside and in the meantime the attendant uses all his strength to open it. Now this can have repercussions on the fuel lid.
Diesel lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 20:46   #41
BHPian

Quote:

Fogs: Today I contacted the Rajshree Ford Service center and directly spoke to the accessories person to ask about the Fogs. Apparently Ford is not sending the new kit to the dealers and just sending the old ones? Anyone heard about this? I also enquired about the body side guard to protect the door against scratches - was told it costs close to 3.5K...wow! I figured it was'nt worth that amount of money.
I bought the fogs from Bhagat Ford Chandigarh on 7th April (during one year anniversary camp) and got it for Rs. 2258 after 15% discount. It was clearly mentioned on the box that the fogs didn't carry any switch. Date of packaging was 29 March 2011.

So it is very clear that ford is sending fogs w/o switch to its dealers. Do check out with your service center for the same. Also do read the price on the box to be sure that you are not charged wrongly by the dealer. And trust me after driving w/o fogs for a year (Mar 2010 model), I am a really happy person to get them fitted. They are a must in the figo and must come factory fitted.
Diesel lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 11:01   #42
BHPian

Thanks for the correction on the fuel lid - I did get it mixed up.

And yes, your apprehension is exactly what I was trying to pen down in the post. When I go park in the bunk, if it is empty, I find someone tugging even by the time I bend down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel lover View Post
I think you mixed boot and fuel lid here. Its the boot that opens through the remote key or a button in the dash and not the fuel lid

The small hole that you are referring in ur post is on the fuel lid, which is of no use since the lid opens from inside. Sometimes at the pump we take time to open the lid from inside and in the meantime the attendant uses all his strength to open it. Now this can have repercussions on the fuel lid.
Old 25th April 2011, 14:11   #43
BHPian

Congrats and a nice write up. I too fell in love with the car after a drive. I owned a Ikon Flair and when i decided to change i wanted to go for either Punto or Polo. But Polo waiting period was high and booked a Punto. Had a chance to drive a Figo of my Friend and fell in love with it. Immediately cancelled my booking with Punto and booked a Figo.

Now I am enjoying my Silver - Titanium
vinukm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 13:56   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Finally my Diamond White Figo TDCi Titanium is here! I am kind of nervous and eager at the same time because I have gone against my entire family's advice and even my own past experiences. The only places which support my Figo buying decision are T-Bhp and my wife. So I keeping my fingers crossed and praying that nothing goes terribly wrong.
Hey rohing,

Planning to trade my 2004' Flair for a new car. Already have a i10 AT Sportz, and since my Ford has spent a lot of quality time with me, done about 170,000 kms, i am prepared to bid a tearful farewell to her (or is it him?).

Somehow, i cannot think of driving any other car than a Ford. It's the perfect driver's car, right? The new Fiesta seems to be a good one but i am not inclined towards it for the only reason that driving/parking in New Delhi is totally adventurous and unwillingly invites lots of scratches and dents on the car's body.

So, a smaller hatch back is the only choice and being a Ford Afficianado, Figo suits my taste. Read your review and loved it. Particularly your words of wisdom, "To me buying a car is like getting married. The prettiest girlfriend dosn't make the best wife neither does the smartest one! ".

How old are you, BTW?

Cheers and happy motoring!

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th September 2011 at 19:43. Reason: Hi, please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers. Thanks.
Capitalson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2011, 07:16   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalson View Post
Hey rohing,

Planning to trade my 2004' Flair for a new car. Already have a i10 AT Sportz, and since my Ford has spent a lot of quality time with me, done about 170,000 kms, i am prepared to bid a tearful farewell to her (or is it him?).

Somehow, i cannot think of driving any other car than a Ford. It's the perfect driver's car, right? The new Fiesta seems to be a good one but i am not inclined towards it for the only reason that driving/parking in New Delhi is totally adventurous and unwillingly invites lots of scratches and dents on the car's body.

So, a smaller hatch back is the only choice and being a Ford Afficianado, Figo suits my taste. Read your review and loved it. Particularly your words of wisdom, "To me buying a car is like getting married. The prettiest girlfriend dosn't make the best wife neither does the smartest one! ".

How old are you, BTW?

Cheers and happy motoring!
Thanks...I do think Figo is a good choice. Are you going for the petrol/diesel?
I just wish it had a slightly better engine...esp. low end torque. I have now done about 10K in 4 months and the car has been great. No issues.

Highway stability even upto 160 Kmph is good. Mileage is decent not best in class.

Need to compile my 10K update soon.

I am in my early 30s