Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 17th April 2015, 15:45   #76
BHPian

Default Re: BMW 320d CE Initial Ownership Experience and a comparison to Laura TSi

2.5+ year & 35K km update on an X1 s20d which has the same drivetrain and fairly similar mechanicals.

Zero glitches except one failure of the left folding ORVM which is to be replaced under warranty
No BSI, 4 year warranty extension (I wouldn't recommend BSI because the upfront cost is higher than typical running cost spread over years)

Cost of maintenance:
Two Oil changes + air filter + cabin filter changes (authorized workshop)- Approx 20K each

Recent front disc pad + diesel filter + air filter + cabin filter change - Aftermarket with OEM parts - Approx 15K

The tyres have quite a bit of tread left on them , will probably be changing them early next year with regular tubeless (the RFTs are hard as you probably know already)

All in all, only marginally higher maintenance cost over other cars I have owned in the past
abhi182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2015, 07:14   #77

Default Re: BMW 320D E90 (2011) 4 Year cost of ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravich View Post
Overall satisfaction -Immense and possibly priceless...
Ravi,

Just a question, which ASS have you been using? Im a new bimmer owner and stay in thane too.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 28th May 2015 at 09:02. Reason: Trimming quoted content. Inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks.
sunilinasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2015, 15:42   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilinasu View Post
Ravi,

Just a question, which ASS have you been using? Im a new bimmer owner and stay in thane too.
Sunil,
Thanks for your update. Infiniti at Turbhe . Large spacious, modern garage ; by and large quite professional. You , as the owner still need to be diligent on technical issues - but you don't have to worry about basic integrity/business practices.

My one experience with Navnit (in Bangalore) was less than satisfactory. It may be a one-off experience though.

I am now considering F30 but a back to back ride has left me in a big dilemma -E90 feels much livelier !

Will keep the thread posted
Regards
Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi182 View Post

...Recent front disc pad + diesel filter + air filter + cabin filter change - Aftermarket with OEM parts - Approx 15K
Where did you get these done ? I do see BMW parts in UK quite inexpensive but never explored getting them. If I keep my E90 , this might come in useful.
I might even venture changing pads etc myself ! But a good garage familiar with BMW will be a safe and good option I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Thanks a lot. You have strengthened my decision for a 3 series, currently happy owner of Corolla Altis (6 yr old). I would love to read 6 to 10 years ownership review from you and other 3 series owners.
I guess, its the condition of our roads (despite all of us paying so much taxes including so called road tax) which is the main contributor to the servicing and longevity of our cars in India.
Happy to be of any help.
As much as the roads , the chaotic traffic is probably another reason for maintenance expenses . Minor dents, broken side mirrors, add up big time with these .

Germans seem to be getting more reliable and also becoming less driver focussed I guess. The latest 2015 Camry that I drove and F30 did not seem very different (blasphemy !)

Last edited by mobike008 : 27th April 2015 at 21:53. Reason: Back to Back posts. Please use Multi Quote Function to quote different members for reply. Thanks
Ravich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2015, 21:28   #79
BHPian

Default Re: BMW 320d CE Initial Ownership Experience and a comparison to Laura TSi

I could not resist posting the pictures of the E90 now and from 4 years back.It looks as much a head-turner as it was 4 years back. I still cant resist a look back after I park it in the office basement park.

Unless you look at the tyres closely you will find it difficult to tell which is the newer one.
E90 is one beautiful car from this angle....I can't help thinking it is better proportioned as a sports sedan cf the F30 .
PS: The top one was shot with an iPhone and the 2011 one using a Nikon Camcorder.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 320d CE Initial Ownership Experience and a comparison to Laura TSi-e90may2015.jpg  

BMW 320d CE Initial Ownership Experience and a comparison to Laura TSi-e90-apr-2011.jpg  

Ravich is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2015, 21:58   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks really hot specially in the first picture. Hats off to you for having been able to maintain it so well. Mine is proving it very tough to maintain in such prime condition as Delhi traffic and parking is not at all kind to well maintained cars. I have always loved the front end of the E90 but the F30 has a much better derriere!
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2015, 16:20   #81
BHPian

Quote:
E90 is one beautiful car from this angle....I can't help thinking it is better proportioned as a sports sedan cf the F30 .
The E90 looks way better than the F30, no comparo. The F30's rear looks good, but it lacks the tight look of the E90. Overall, the F30 and F10 look more soft and barge like compared to their predecessors. The tight muscular and aggressive look was more prominent in the E60 and E90. The worst design characteristic of the F30 is the silly headlamps that extend to meet the kidney grille and the bloated hood design (In yellow).

Img source: Teambhp official review
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 320d CE Initial Ownership Experience and a comparison to Laura TSi-bmw3series01.jpg  

Last edited by petroguzzler : 17th May 2015 at 16:23.
petroguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2015, 17:32   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
The E90 looks way better than the F30, no comparo. ...Overall, the F30 and F10 look more soft and barge like compared to their predecessors.
Bitter sweet. I have gone in for the F30 <sigh>. The "barge like " comment sends another dagger, because I thought it felt like the new Camry when I took a test drive.
Maybe lower expectations equals lower disappointment !
Even if it is a much beaten topic , will post the first hand back to back and side by side comparison soon.
Old 17th May 2015, 17:45   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Bitter sweet. I have gone in for the F30 <sigh>. The "barge like " comment sends another dagger, because I thought it felt like the new Camry when I took a test drive.
Maybe lower expectations equals lower disappointment !
Even if it is a much beaten topic , will post the first hand back to back and side by side comparison soon.
Don't worry about it that much. The F30 while it feels much softer, is still quite a handler. You will find it much more usable than the E90 when it comes to in city comfort.

But yes the taut feeling and the great steering of the E90 is gone.
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2015, 09:15   #84
BHPian

Default BMW 320d F30 Initial Ownership Experience and an ode to the nimble E90

It is time to bid a fond good bye to the nimble and beautiful E90 and welcome the F30 Prestige edition. So here are the first photographs of the F30 . The E90 had an unbelievably large number of prospective buyers and that is an interesting sidebar in itself.
Took delivery from Infinity Turbhe in the evening . I had planned to take delivery in the morning but a minor hiccup delayed this but Infinity's staff rallied to have it ready by evening. A public thank you to Infinity's Pooja, Deepak , Alcander and Amit.
Thankfully the car had sufficient diesel for 150 km as I did not want to get stuck in the chaotic traffic near Turbhe.
First impressions that should not surprise anyone in the forum:
Sport mode steering felt no worse ( if not better than ) the E90s
Visibility worse than the E90 ( may be my driving position was a little sub-optimal)
Ride quality - as reported far better - did not make me wince or flinch taking road and bridge joints at speed
Acceleration - far better than my 4 year old E90. I did not realise I had touched 120kph so quickly ( no traffic on the Airoli bridge ) and had to lighten the foot.
Transmission - absolutely delightful - I did not have to switch to Sport manual mode at all. It shifted down and up at the right times beautifully; this seemed to be the biggest takeaway from the short drive.
The fact the steering was as good as the EPS Servotronic E90 in sport mode was another big relief.
Quietness - far far superior to the 4 year old E90 - no surprise
General driver orientation - I cant say whether the visibility caused this or the seating position - the E90 used to be almost like a go-kart , the F30 made me a little more cautious
Handling - the short drive did not really test this.
Clearly these are initial impressions based on a default settings at the factory ; hopefully , with tweaks and adjustments of driving position, steering position and wing mirrors , the side-by-side , back-to back comparison will be more meaningful and interesting.
So summary- I must be getting much older ; the F30 seems good, as they say a 'more complete' car . However it made me look at the parked E90 wistfully though.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 320d CE Initial Ownership Experience and a comparison to Laura TSi-f30may2420151.jpg  

BMW 320d CE Initial Ownership Experience and a comparison to Laura TSi-f30may2420152.jpg  

Last edited by Ravich : 24th May 2015 at 09:18. Reason: Typos
Ravich is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2015, 09:29   #85
BHPian

Congrats on your new car!
Can you tell us the exact otr price for the prestige edition? Did you avail the 29lakh ex-showroom scheme?
If not in public can you send me a pm please?
dean5545 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 08:34   #86
BHPian

Default Re: Getting the F30 to near E90 (EPS) steering feel by tweaking tyre pressures

The first few days of owning F30 have been a little worrisome as the steering seemed lighter than the E90 even in sport mode
But after tweaking the front and rear pressures +/- 20kPa and testing, I find that 240 kPa Front and 250 kPa rear , makes the F30 feel the same if not better than the E90 (EPS 2011) - well weighted , no vagueness around the centre.

With this behind, I am beginning to enjoy the F30 - no buyers remorse. I can say goodbye to the E90 fondly and hand it over to the new owner
Old 8th May 2016, 11:49   #87
BHPian

Default Re: 12 months ( first year) running expenses BMW 320d F30 Prestige

The F30 completes one year. I had a look at how much I spent in maintaining the car including the service costs. Here is the break up picked up from my Quicken accounts :
Diesel fuel , shampoo, wash expenses : INR 35877.36
includes BMW touch up paint

First service costs : INR 20736.00
Total = INR 56613.36
I also purchased a rather expensive BMW Car cover costing INR 25017/- that can be amortized over 3 years
So all inclusive = INR 64952.36

I installed a wireless rear parking camera - but since that can be used in any car , I am not including it as a BMW running expense. I bought a 12 V impact wrench , a Resqtech 12v 25 ltr car washer - I did not include them in this running expense as they can be used across the other cars too.

I use it for daily short office commutes within the city so the odometer shows just 8957 kms.

All in all, appears to be very reasonable running costs. I also find not going for BSI has been a reasonably good decision.
No breakdowns/niggles of any kind. Did not have to go to the workshop for anything small or big.
iPhone bluetooth occasionally (once in a month or so) does not connect but switching off and on ( the car) fixes it .
I am thinking of fixing cornering LED fog lights and a front camera that pairs with the wireless monitor I have .
I still miss the E90 but over the year, tweaking the tyre pressures has provided reasonably OK steering feel.

The car feels really good after the first service - even if nothing much mechanically has been done.
Ravich is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2016, 12:15   #88
BHPian

Quote:
I am thinking of fixing cornering LED fog lights.
The cornering fog lamps can be turned on any adaptive light equipped f30 via code unlock, it basically means that the respective fog lamp will turn on when you do close to a full lock of the steering or use of indicator etc.

See more:

I have the same problem with the bluetooth connectivity, wondering if a idrive software update will fix it?

What tyre pressure do you maintain?

Please share details about the reverse camera you have installed and also post the break-up of the service cost.

Cheers,
Bharat
bharatbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2016, 12:55   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
The cornering fog lamps can be turned on any adaptive light equipped f30 via code unlock,...
|Bharat
Prestige edition does not have adaptive headlights... BMW assures me, with the retrofit the correct cornering light would turn on in the Prestige edition with turn of the steering.

Quote:
I have the same problem with the bluetooth connectivity, wondering if a idrive software update will fix it?....
Bharat
Probably, I have not really tried to resolve this, I know there is an update too but I have been lazy . The F30 base connectivity option is a disappointment compared to the E90 base option as I can't use voice commands .

Quote:

What tyre pressure do you maintain?

Cheers,
Bharat
For some time I used 245/245 kPa and it felt much better but after the first service the recommended 220/235 seems to feel better - may be it is all in the mind . I know 245 sounds counter intuitive. But the point is minor changes to tyre pressure makes a palpable difference to a slightly obsessed driver like me.

Wireless rear parking camera -I put this is in the DIY thread - it is not for the aesthetically finicky !
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...-bmw-320d.html (15 minute DIY: Wireless reverse parking camera for my BMW 320d)

I intend to get a camera for the front too at the bumper level. The monitor can pair with two cameras and you can select the view.

The service break up -attached the relevant extract. I dont know why 3 pcs of diesel fuel additive has been included. I am following up on that.

Hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 320d CE Initial Ownership Experience and a comparison to Laura TSi-screen-shot-20160508-12.53.03-pm.png  

Ravich is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2016, 16:47   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Prestige edition does not have adaptive headlights... BMW assures me, with the retrofit the correct cornering light would turn on in the Prestige edition with turn of the steering.
The LED cornering fog lamp will work with the Prestige, it comes with a little control unit too if I'm not mistaken. LED fogs will be great. Though Bharat is right, cornering fogs can be activated with coding with the present lights.
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote