Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2017, 12:32   #481
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,825
Thanked: 6,984 Times
Default re: Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclecar View Post
Hi Guys! I am facing coolant leakage issue in my Passat Highline. The coolant level drops and error light keeps buzzing. I have topped up the coolant 3-4 times in last one month! The bigger problem is that there is no visible signs of any leakage under the car! Has anyone else faced this issue and can someone guide me on what needs to be done. I have checked some international passat forums where they say its a common issue.
Thanks
It will most probably be the water pump. Best to take it to your dealer since if your car is in warranty, this will be replaced for free. I think its pretty common on the 2.0tdis to have the water pump fail.
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 18:48   #482
BHPian
 
baskar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 101
Thanked: 48 Times
Default re: Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat

this is most likely a water pump leakage. It was replaced in my car after the warranty period was over . It costed Rs.6500/- - It is not very cheap at the same time, not very expensive either to burn a hole. There is no problem for the past 6 months.
baskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 18:55   #483
BHPian
 
baskar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 101
Thanked: 48 Times
Default re: Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
I get this warning message intermittently. Sometimes the camera works as normal despite the error message. On some rare occasions, it doesn't. The OPS and other systems all work fine.

I had asked the workshop to look into the issue, but they couldn't replicate the problem to enable them to diagnose it. If your camera isn't working at all, then take it to your dealer and they should be able to fix it.

Sorry for not being of much help.

Thanks fordfreak for your reply. For me, the problem is clearly replicated. So will take it to dealer when I get time. While I can easily live with the problem for now, having used to a reverse camera , in the absence of it now, feels handicapped sometimes, especially when reversing with a turn. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...rustration.gif
baskar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2017, 14:41   #484
BHPian
 
musclecar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 66
Thanked: 99 Times
Default re: Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat

Thanks: Fordfreak, Akshay & Baskar. Got it checked from the VW A.S.S. As all of you mentioned it was water pump issues. They changed the water pump along with the timing belt and one bearing. All of this cost me 30 large ones. Hoping the issue doesn't come up again.
musclecar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2017, 11:40   #485
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 344
Thanked: 241 Times
Default re: Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhaustpipe View Post
Hi

I got it replaced at home. Some bloke from a local battery shop came with the new battery in tow. It was a plain 2 min disconnect and reconnect job. Furthermore, he bought the old battery for 1200 inr.

Best
EP
Update:

I got the battery in my Passat replaced with an Amaron DIN74 battery. The technicial who came home brought along a small battery which he connected in parallel to the old Varta Battery. Then he asked me to start the car, after which he disconnected the Varta battery and connected the new Amaron battery. Then he removed the small battery which was connected in parallel.

Took all of 10 mins -
rpunwani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2017, 14:20   #486
BHPian
 
exhaustpipe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 41
Thanked: 10 Times
Default re: Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
Update:

I got the battery in my Passat replaced with an Amaron DIN74 battery. The technicial who came home brought along a small battery which he connected in parallel to the old Varta Battery. Then he asked me to start the car, after which he disconnected the Varta battery and connected the new Amaron battery. Then he removed the small battery which was connected in parallel.

Took all of 10 mins -
Thanks for sharing this bit of information. The way our car batteries were successfully changed is surprisingly different!
exhaustpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2017, 12:12   #487
BHPian
 
baskar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 101
Thanked: 48 Times
Default re: Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat

My rear view camera has conked. While the camera itself flips when engaging reverse gear, there is no output to the HU. Got it checked it by VW service - they confirm that the control module is gone (don't know why though). Camera is ok. There is no rat cut or anything. The estimate crosses Rs. 40K. Any one knows what is the right place to source the correct module for my car - B7 Passat - 2012 Manf.
When I checked a few websites, the part costs 400 EUR + shipping of 50 EUR - comes very close to the price given by VW if I include labor costs.

Are there any other experienced 3rd party service technician in Chennai for VW ? Appreciate your help
baskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2017, 11:34   #488
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kolkata (WB)
Posts: 365
Thanked: 412 Times
Default re: Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskar View Post
My rear view camera has conked. While the camera itself flips when engaging reverse gear, there is no output to the HU. Got it checked it by VW service - they confirm that the control module is gone (don't know why though). Camera is ok. There is no rat cut or anything. The estimate crosses Rs. 40K. Any one knows what is the right place to source the correct module for my car - B7 Passat - 2012 Manf.
When I checked a few websites, the part costs 400 EUR + shipping of 50 EUR - comes very close to the price given by VW if I include labor costs.

Are there any other experienced 3rd party service technician in Chennai for VW ? Appreciate your help
So is it possible to replace just the faulty part or are they telling you to replace the whole thing (forgive my ignorance)? Have they tried anything to get the camera running again or have they just diagnosed the issue and left it at that?

Is there any possibility grabbing one off a totaled/scrapped Passat? The dealer would probably not help you with this option though.

I wouldn't trust a 3rd party service with the Passat's electronics. No guarantee about the quality of their work nor any further problems down the line.
fordfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2017, 18:04   #489
BHPian
 
baskar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 101
Thanked: 48 Times
Default re: Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
So is it possible to replace just the faulty part or are they telling you to replace the whole thing (forgive my ignorance)? Have they tried anything to get the camera running again or have they just diagnosed the issue and left it at that?

Is there any possibility grabbing one off a totaled/scrapped Passat? The dealer would probably not help you with this option though.

I wouldn't trust a 3rd party service with the Passat's electronics. No guarantee about the quality of their work nor any further problems down the line.
Thanks for the reply Fordfreak. They are only asking to replace the control module, not the camera or the wires. All they are saying is that when they hooked it up to the scanner, this comes up as an error. There is no video output from the control module and hence they feel it is gone kaput. No attempt is made to repair it - I guess these modules are sealed and there is no way to repair it.

Yes - You are right about getting a totalled Passat - seeing a Passat itself is difficult , getting a scrapped one is even more.

I am weighing my options. 5 year old car and do I need invest so much on this? At the sametime, having a camera does help in reversing this long car especially in tight spaces with active guidelines etc. Will update the post once I decide.
Thanks
baskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2017, 21:51   #490
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kolkata (WB)
Posts: 365
Thanked: 412 Times
Default re: Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskar View Post
Thanks for the reply Fordfreak. They are only asking to replace the control module, not the camera or the wires. All they are saying is that when they hooked it up to the scanner, this comes up as an error. There is no video output from the control module and hence they feel it is gone kaput. No attempt is made to repair it - I guess these modules are sealed and there is no way to repair it.

Yes - You are right about getting a totalled Passat - seeing a Passat itself is difficult , getting a scrapped one is even more.

I am weighing my options. 5 year old car and do I need invest so much on this? At the sametime, having a camera does help in reversing this long car especially in tight spaces with active guidelines etc. Will update the post once I decide.
Thanks
Funny thing happened. My camera conked off today (just a couple of days after I wrote the reply to your original post!).

I had sent the Passat to the dealer for replacement of the ABS sensor. The car was ready for delivery this afternoon. Driver went to pick it up and found the camera to be dead. Initial diagnosis revealed that it needs replacement. Brilliant.

I will be writing on my ownership review thread sometime tomorrow in more detail.

Last edited by fordfreak : 3rd August 2017 at 21:54.
fordfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 14:31   #491
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sydney
Posts: 220
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Apologies: Query about Passat

I apologise for posting this question here. I did a search but couldn't find a relevant thread for this query.

I drive a Passat 118 TSI. It is a 7-year old vehicle and has done 122K kms (around 11K in the last 12 months). It gives me a decent mileage of nearly 9L/100kms. The issue I am facing with this vehicle is that it consumes a lot of engine oil. I top up around 2 litres and within 500kms of driving, the alarm indicators start flashing asking for a top up.

I asked at the workshop and they did say this is unusual (although VW tends to consume more oil than other cars) but they do not want to offer a reason unless they get under the hood (that is an expense I want to avoid at the present moment).

I was wondering if anyone could help me with probable causes.

Apologies again for this post in a wrong thread.

Travelwriter
travelwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 15:09   #492
BHPian
 
techcoze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Pune
Posts: 133
Thanked: 173 Times
Default Re: Apologies: Query about Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
I apologise for posting this question here. I did a search but couldn't find a relevant thread for this query.

I drive a Passat 118 TSI. It is a 7-year old vehicle and has done 122K kms (around 11K in the last 12 months). It gives me a decent mileage of nearly 9L/100kms. The issue I am facing with this vehicle is that it consumes a lot of engine oil. I top up around 2 litres and within 500kms of driving, the alarm indicators start flashing asking for a top up.

I asked at the workshop and they did say this is unusual (although VW tends to consume more oil than other cars) but they do not want to offer a reason unless they get under the hood (that is an expense I want to avoid at the present moment).

I was wondering if anyone could help me with probable causes.

Apologies again for this post in a wrong thread.

Travelwriter
This could be due to oil leak. External leak would be visible in form of oil stains around / below the engine. If I am correct, internal leak is also possible which can be noticed by change in exhaust gas color, black/brown.
techcoze is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 17:46   #493
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sydney
Posts: 220
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: Apologies: Query about Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcoze View Post
This could be due to oil leak. External leak would be visible in form of oil stains around / below the engine. If I am correct, internal leak is also possible which can be noticed by change in exhaust gas color, black/brown.
Thanks, techcoze.

I checked for this but did not find any stains externally. Internally, I do not know yet. Any ideas on how I can check myself for internal leakages?

Again, the idea is to avoid a trip to the workshop.

Travelwriter
travelwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 17:49   #494
BHPian
 
techcoze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Pune
Posts: 133
Thanked: 173 Times
Default Re: Apologies: Query about Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
Thanks, techcoze.

I checked for this but did not find any stains externally. Internally, I do not know yet. Any ideas on how I can check myself for internal leakages?

Again, the idea is to avoid a trip to the workshop.

Travelwriter
Internal leaks can be detected by exhaust smoke color.
Refer following link for some more details
https://www.quora.com/What-car-engin...-leaking#!n=12
techcoze is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2017, 16:49   #495
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Anand
Posts: 23
Thanked: 25 Times
Default re: Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat

Hello there,
As, I am in search of well maintained Passat Trendline MT, and have been able to find one as it is 2013 Dec Passat MT Trendline with 38000 kms done and the car looks well maintained in the pics.

So, what will be the resale value as how much do i quote for the car as i am buying interstate car to Gujarat. So, what can be the resale value as the owner wants 8 lacs as he was demanding around 8.5 lacs but he has moved down to 8 lacs.

So, will it worth buying at 8 lacs or do i still need to negotiate and what quote shuld i give him.


And do the passat MT also come with same 170 BHP or the 140 BHP tune?

Waiting for your fast reply friends.
patel8585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Driven: VW Passat Diesel DSG ... v10 Long-Term Ownership Reviews 137 10th December 2017 22:34
Find the Passat's looks boring? Passat CC is here amit The International Automotive Scene 16 26th January 2008 03:12
Volkswagen Passat in India soon anarchist The Indian Car Scene 18 6th April 2006 07:13


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:29.

Copyright 2000 - 2018, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks