Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 18th May 2011, 21:32   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default re: I gotta Get-away!!! - Scorpio Getaway 4x4 EDIT : Now SOLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshun View Post
Hi Spike, it's almost max height on both sides, with about 6" gap between the fender and top of the tyre. Is that too much? It's been like that for over a year now, since I last adjusted it.

Cheers,
That is not the recommended way, although you can make out the difference in heights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Wouldn't max height start affecting the rear suspension also? Not that it matters but I have done the same adjustment on my Safari 4wd and it does feel a bit weighed down at the back. Would like to know if/how this affects the rear suspension? Spike?
Not just the rear suspension, it stresses the Torsion bar and its brackets, would make a detailed post on how this works. Handling goes for a toss!

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2011, 23:56   #62
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Not just the rear suspension, it stresses the Torsion bar and its brackets, would make a detailed post on how this works. Handling goes for a toss!
Spike
Thanks Spike! Yes it will stress the torsion bar and its brackets but that's the type of stress which is fundamentally planned for in this kind of a suspension. Correct?
Or do you mean, the minimum constant torsional stress will be higher than what it was designed for. Also, please explain how will it affect handling.
Old 19th May 2011, 22:20   #63
Senior - BHPian

Default FE Travails!

The Tornado has done about 220 Kms and I would think that the engine start settling in! I went to pump and Tornado gobbled all 63.36 Litres of Sada Diesel (I think a little more than 15 Litres as reserve was still there in the tank). Calculated and found mileage to be 9.205KMPL. Even though this run was totally in the city, I was hoping to get atleast 10KMPL in the city.

Discussing this on the Scorpio forum realised that the Dry Weight of Getaway is lesser than Scorp 4X4 but its still lesser than what others are getting.

Spikey, any tips?
Old 20th May 2011, 08:15   #64
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: FE Travails!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post

Discussing this on the Scorpio forum realised that the Dry Weight of Getaway is lesser than Scorp 4X4 but its still lesser than what others are getting.

Spikey, any tips?
Tips on increasing FE? What are the Dry weights of Scorpio 4x4 and Getaway?

Spike
Old 20th May 2011, 08:21   #65
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: FE Travails!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Tips on increasing FE? What are the Dry weights of Scorpio 4x4 and Getaway?

Spike
As per some reverse calculations, this is what I arrived at

Model GVW Person Load Weight Unladen/Kerb Weight
No. Weight
Scorpio 4X4 2610 7 476 0 2134
Scorpio 4X2 2510 7 476 0 2034
Getaway 4X4 2650 5 340 260 2050

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I have taken the standard person weight as 68Kgs here.
Old 20th May 2011, 08:30   #66
Senior - BHPian

Saar, you are right with the Kerb weight of Getaway, it is 2050 kgs, Scorpio 4x4 on the other hand is 1920 Kgs, which means your vehicle is heavier compared to Scorpio 4x4, there you have the answer.

Spike
Old 8th June 2011, 08:16   #67
Senior - BHPian

Its been quite a while since this thread has been updated. Tornado has completed 3000Kms now in a little less than 2 months. Most of it has been city driving. Haven't got the chance to stretch its legs on highway after the run.

The mileage over the last tankfuls have settled to around 9.3KMPL in the city. I was also suggested that mileage may be getting affected because of the open rear load bay, so got a tonneau cover done. Special thanks to DKG for taking me to the right guy at Bahadurpura - The Jeep Mecca.

Few pictures to do the talking
I gotta Get-away!!! - Scorpio Getaway 4x4 EDIT : Now SOLD!-p6070095.jpg

I gotta Get-away!!! - Scorpio Getaway 4x4 EDIT : Now SOLD!-p6070096.jpg

A few interior pics as well for everyone
I gotta Get-away!!! - Scorpio Getaway 4x4 EDIT : Now SOLD!-p6070098.jpg

I gotta Get-away!!! - Scorpio Getaway 4x4 EDIT : Now SOLD!-p6070099.jpg

I gotta Get-away!!! - Scorpio Getaway 4x4 EDIT : Now SOLD!-p6070100.jpg

I gotta Get-away!!! - Scorpio Getaway 4x4 EDIT : Now SOLD!-p6070101.jpg

I gotta Get-away!!! - Scorpio Getaway 4x4 EDIT : Now SOLD!-p6070105.jpg

Lot of people wanted to know the rear legroom, so here it is

I gotta Get-away!!! - Scorpio Getaway 4x4 EDIT : Now SOLD!-p6070107.jpg

I gotta Get-away!!! - Scorpio Getaway 4x4 EDIT : Now SOLD!-p6070106.jpg

I gotta Get-away!!! - Scorpio Getaway 4x4 EDIT : Now SOLD!-p6070109.jpg
Old 8th June 2011, 11:21   #68
Senior - BHPian

Ani Bhai, Nice pics!!
I am impressed to see handrest's on the both the driver and passenger seats, plus the rear a/c vents. What is below the rear a/c vents, a 12v outlet or a Cigarette lighter?
Speakers on the top is a neat design. I didn't quite like the centre consoles color scheme. And why don't you fit in a 2-DIN ICE or a carputer with touch screen offering everything like navigation, Music, videos,Bluetooth,etc. It would also enchance the look of the cabin.
And what is that 4L sign besides the 4H sign for switching to 4x4?
Oh!! and forget to ask, what is the fuel tank capacity? 80 litres?
Old 8th June 2011, 11:51   #69
BHPian

AB, does getaway has a sunglass holder , am refering to the front light cluster with the flipdown ! if yes am wondering why scorpio doesnot have one . looking at your loading bay cover realised your getaway is pretty longer than scorpio, would be tough finding parking space in the city

Last edited by rm_arjuna : 8th June 2011 at 11:54.
Old 8th June 2011, 12:17   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Ani Bhai, Nice pics!!
I am impressed to see handrest's on the both the driver and passenger seats, plus the rear a/c vents. What is below the rear a/c vents, a 12v outlet or a Cigarette lighter?
The interiors are similar to a Scorpio SLX. And below the rear AC vent, there is 12V AC outlet. Totally there are two outlets and no cigarette lighters.

Quote:
Speakers on the top is a neat design. I didn't quite like the centre consoles color scheme. And why don't you fit in a 2-DIN ICE or a carputer with touch screen offering everything like navigation, Music, videos,Bluetooth,etc. It would also enchance the look of the cabin.
Sirji, firstly am not a audiophile and secondly I like to keep things functional. So a normal ICE set up is ok for me. For me the biggest putoff is the beige interiors. What was M&M thinking when they put beige interiors for a pick-up truck. It should have been ideally dark coloured.
Quote:
And what is that 4L sign besides the 4H sign for switching to 4x4?
Oh!! and forget to ask, what is the fuel tank capacity? 80 litres?
Yes that 4L. 4X4 has two modes, 4H or 4 High and 4L or 4Low. Only difference between 2H and 4H is that the power get transferred to the front wheels as well. 4L is a special application mode when you need immense amount of torque and almost crawler speeds. 4L gets engaged when you want to pull ourself or something that is stuck in marshy land or sand(more on this in the next post on off-roading with the Getaway). IIRC the 4L has a 2.86:1 gear ratio.

[quote=rm_arjuna;2383024]AB, does getaway has a sunglass holder , am refering to the front light cluster with the flipdown ! if yes am wondering why scorpio doesnot have one .

Yes sir, that is a sunglass holder. May be the Getaway has it because hardworking, outdoorsy people also require protection from the Sun and hence need to keep their shades at accessible places. It could also be that since the 4X4 vehicle has one less cubby hole (courtesy the 4X4 switch) its been compensated by the sunglass holder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
looking at your loading bay cover realised your getaway is pretty longer than scorpio, would be tough finding parking space in the city
Yes you are right. The Getaway is longer than a normal Scorp by a feet and a half. As a matter of fact, ashishy during our Suryalanka trip realised that Tornado is even longer than Mini School Bus. The turning radius is 6.2m and hence it does require getting used to driving in the city and parking sometime can be difficult, but its OK.
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2011, 13:53   #71
BHPian

Having checked out the Tornado last night, I must say that this is a pretty neat machine. It still has the new car smell . With those Hellas on the front we were talking about, this will become a don't-mess-with-me beast.

More than the beige interior, I am more flummoxed by the rear AC vent. For a pickup which is designed to carry workers in the back, the rear AC vent makes it very difficult to seat more than two. In a cabin of its size, the dashboard vents should suffice.
Old 9th June 2011, 17:32   #72
BHPian

Nice pics of the interior MC. Definitely a more paisa vasool vehicle than the Storm. My Father-in-law sold my Storm for 5.05 lacs and then bought a 2005 Hyundai Terracan for 6.5 lacs -- so he also got a paisa vasool deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
driving in the city and parking sometime can be difficult, but its OK.
I thought you must be using your Nano more for the in city drives? Or that's reserved for wifey only? If so, you must try reducing your family's carbon footprint MC ;-).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
which is designed to carry workers in the back
?! What blasphemy! Tauba, tauba! Nahin saab, this vehicle is for carrying co-workers ... not workers.
Old 14th June 2011, 11:19   #73
Senior - BHPian

I'm embarking on 2000 Km trip this weekend and need to get the rear mudflaps and Hella's fitted.

The Getaway doesn't come with rear mudflaps and there is no part designed also for it. I tried using the Scorpio LX mudflap but that doesn't fit on the wheel well contour.

Since the wheel well plastic is too narrow as shown below, any suggestions regarding what could be done
I gotta Get-away!!! - Scorpio Getaway 4x4 EDIT : Now SOLD!-p6130095.jpg

I was thinking of using either Bolero Camper mud flaps with some kind of attachment or having the Tempo Trax Long mudflaps as the height is big.

I gotta Get-away!!! - Scorpio Getaway 4x4 EDIT : Now SOLD!-p6130096.jpg

BTW just a fleeting thought, how can I get/make/fit rear mudflaps like this on the Tornado
I gotta Get-away!!! - Scorpio Getaway 4x4 EDIT : Now SOLD!-volkswagenracetouaregatdakarrally2005_1600x1200_56549.jpg

I saw the following auxiliary light mounting point on Rally prepped Scorps and I kinda liked them. I hate to have a bull bar upfront!

I gotta Get-away!!! - Scorpio Getaway 4x4 EDIT : Now SOLD!-256860_2062131587877_1082326572_2505372_6758624_o.jpg

May be Vinod or Spikey can shed more light on this.

Last edited by MileCruncher : 14th June 2011 at 11:21.
Old 14th June 2011, 16:48   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

@MC:

The scorpio has a solid metal bumper under the plastic bumper cover, so you can fabricate a clamp and bolt it to the metal bumper and drill a hole in the front bumper cover. I have very heavy hellas with metal housing and they are bolted on the bumper and not to my bull bar.

I too hate bull bars, but unfortunately need them to move autos aside in chenai.
Old 14th June 2011, 19:40   #75
Senior - BHPian

milecruncher it's no herculean task to achieve this. You wouldn't need a bull-bar to fit the hellas or any other auxiliary lamps.It's pretty straight forward and any fabricator could make the mounting clamps for the lamps.

It's just that I dont fancy the idea of drilling holes into the bumper. Hence my scorp's hella lamps are fixed with a pair of clamps on the bullbar too. Make sure you get it done correctly else the lamps would be shaking crazy when on bumpy roads.
Closed Thread