Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 25th April 2011, 19:19   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra Thar - my initial ownership report

@theexperthand - yeah the traffic was heavy and dont remember seeing you. Next time;-).

@sarmarishi - I don't see it tilted. Must be me holding the camera at an angle. It's my phone camera! The Jeeps fine.

@blue thunder - thanks for that clarification. 2 inches less to seat some skinny-blinky person shouldn't matter
Tha'Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 19:29   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
If you have observed Scorpio, Bolero, Xylo or most cars near the firewall area, there is a shining foil sticking, this is for the same purpose, it is not extended throughout as the temperature profile changes in the vicinity hence another type of insulation is used (the black type).
So a) can we use the same silver foil thingy, maybe a thin aluminum shield on firewall to reduce heat? b) Can same be added underneath around transmission tunnel and silencer pipe area to reduce the radiation?

Am not talking about foil, think aluminum shield that i have seen in other cars.

I feel if we can cut the heat from engine, transmission and silencer that itself would be of great help. Just yesterday with one hard round of Spidey on a track me and Rudra were sweating like crazy and that too without sun glaring.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 19:45   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
So a) can we use the same silver foil thingy, maybe a thin aluminum shield on firewall to reduce heat?
Yes, but fixing it up will be time consuming as you will have to remove neighboring parts, hoses etc and stick it up. Moreover, this will not make much difference as the upward portions near to the cowl / bonnet are relatively cooler areas.

Quote:
b) Can same be added underneath around transmission tunnel and silencer pipe area to reduce the radiation?
More than the transmission it is the exhaust which will be hotter, adding to the exhaust side would be "slightly" useful provided the sheath holds on during abuse.

Quote:
Am not talking about foil, think aluminum shield that i have seen in other cars.
Got it.

Quote:
I feel if we can cut the heat from engine, transmission and silencer that itself would be of great help. Just yesterday with one hard round of Spidey on a track me and Rudra were sweating like crazy and that too without sun glaring.
I have seen this car for sometime now and till date the only time I really felt the heat was in 521, where the heat was evident near the Transfer case shift lever / driver area. 521 does not have insulation, carpets, rubber mats, grommets etc. The heat was seeping in through the holes in the floor and nearby area, otherwise nothing substantial at all!

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 10:34   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Moreover, this will not make much difference as the upward portions near to the cowl / bonnet are relatively cooler areas.
-----------
The heat was seeping in through the holes in the floor and nearby area, otherwise nothing substantial at all!
Thanks Spikee, so one can put shields at the lower end of firewall towards GB and TC, similarly under body all throughout the exhaust route. That was my thought.

Even a petrol engine gypsy emits lot of heat in our testing climate, so i can imagine how a diesel powered vehicle would be.

I say definitely worth a try for people opting for AC.
Old 18th May 2011, 18:25   #65
BHPian

Dear Thar owners,
I have seen certain Thars with no wheel mounted on the rear hatch!
Is that an option ?
I feel it should be there, otherwise it looks botched up from rear.
KkVaidya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 22:54   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Dear Thar owners,
I have seen certain Thars with no wheel mounted on the rear hatch!
Is that an option ?
I feel it should be there, otherwise it looks botched up from rear.
Hello KkVaidya,

Yes, one can remove the spare wheel mounted on the rear.
I did so because of two reasons -
1) My kids had difficulty in climbing into the vehicle from the rear because of the tyre.
2) The weight of the tyre might in the long run cause the hinges ont he rear door to squeak and come loose.

Regarding the botched up appearance, I think it is a personal point of view.

Regards.
Janjua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2011, 13:15   #67
BHPian

Hi guys..My brother just bought the Thar a couple of days back and we are all super excited about it. But when I drove it for the first time yesterday,I came across a weird problem. The engine only cranks up after a few trys or u have to hold on to the cranking for a longer time than usual. Only then the engine starts. After that when at idle,there seems to be an unusual ups and downs of the rpm..the engine doesn't settle down immediately. Is this a problem or is this how the Thar's engine works. Kindly help!

Note : The service guys dint know a thing about it and said they have requested assistance from mahindra engineers. So we will have to wait till then.
kar.carthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2011, 16:55   #68
BHPian

Folks, back after a while. Have not been able to edit any post on TBHP and there has been no response from the admin on resolving this. Finally figured out that the iPad app works.

Got my 1st service done about a month back. Boy, the engine sounds so different and is much smoother after the oil change. Was very different to drive initially:-) in a nice way. The brakes were adjusted too and seem to work better. Gearbox is still stiff when cold and takes about 4-5 kms to shift smoothly. But not of any concern per se.

Rattles and hums have been reduced considerably, though i have noticed a weird noise from the front left since 2 days. Will check it out and update down the week. My left door seems to have a manufacturing defect and there has been no +ve response from M&M on this. Does not shut easily. Will continue to chase it.

AC is still a dream and I understand there is a new one coming soon, not sure exactly when.

Felt bad reading Janjua's experience and loss of Thar. Nice to see quite a few Thars on road here.

So much for now, will update again on hearing about AC availability. If anyone else learns do post the same.
Old 4th September 2011, 18:05   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha'Red View Post
Folks, back after a while. Have not been able to edit any post on TBHP and there has been no response from the admin on ...............
Rattles and hums have been reduced considerably, though i have noticed a w......................

Hey.
After How many kms is the first service carried out?
Any ideas how comfy are the rear benches on a long ride?
iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2011, 18:13   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron

Hey.
After How many kms is the first service carried out?
Any ideas how comfy are the rear benches on a long ride?
4k kms or 4 months is first service. Rear bench is very bumpy and not good even for town riding if roads are not good. So long runs are out of bounds in my mind.
Old 24th October 2011, 14:33   #71
BHPian

Folks,

I got an AC fitted last weekend and it has made a huge difference to my driving experience. its really cool now :-). i got it done at Sireesh Auto and cost me a net of Rs.76.5k. did expect a temp control for this kind of money, but Mahindra does not provide it. the AC switch is also poor quality and during the install my heater switch has gone kaput. have to get this fixed.

Did drive at various points in the day over the weekend and it has been working well. the post noon drive of about 30 kms after the vehicle was parked in the sun from 7am to noon was the real test for me. The cooling took a while, but did work fairly effectively even though the soft top did not cool down much. i need to get a transparent isolation sheet installed behind the front seats to limit the cooling area and keep the rear visibility intact. this will improve the cooling and also load the AC less I feel.

if there are any ideas/implementations around restricting the heat radiation from the soft top like using insulation liners, etc, please do share such info. will continue to monitor the progress and update in a couple of weeks time.

Cheers!
Old 24th October 2011, 16:10   #72
BHPian

good now now you can drive with your windows rolled up in the bangalore traffic . Post some pictures of the interiors after the installation . How is it during rains ? do you face any water leakage etc .
Fortuner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 16:27   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuner71
good now now you can drive with your windows rolled up in the bangalore traffic . Post some pictures of the interiors after the installation . How is it during rains ? do you face any water leakage etc .
Thanks. there is absolutely no change in any looks inside or outside apart from the condenser and 2 fans being visible in the front. i have had zero leaks in rains, even extremely heavy ones at times. the only thing is that there is a weird soft rattle that i hear ever from the rear portion soft top; like someone is playing with a piece of plastic sheet or something like that; this has started ever since the time i started driving with the windows closed! not sure what this is, and i did tighten all the velcro fasteners on the cage. hope to find out soon when someone else is driving!
Tha'Red is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 20:32   #74
BHPian

Update: got a curtain/separator made of synthetic canopy material with a transparent plastic window installed behind the front seats to restrict AC cooling area. It really works well and has made a big difference in the cooling effect; it's freezing when ambient temperature is low!!

Got it done locally through a seat cover/upholstery/canopy maker off double road in Bangalore. Cost me 3k, but worth it. Paid little more I know but got a good quality job in return. It can be rolled up & strapped up when not needed. Will post pics shortly.
Old 2nd November 2011, 21:22   #75
Team-BHP Support

That's great news an official AC instal. Could you please share picture of installation and the parts, will give some idea how to go about.