Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 1st October 2012, 15:31   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra Thar - my initial ownership report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha'Red View Post
Installed the Hyderabad HT today! It's making a big difference to the driving experience in the short run I've had so far. Will be driving back to Blr tomorrow. Shall share the experience. Thanks to Prabhu for doing a quick job on this despite holidays here. One pic attached for immediate viewing. More later.
Dear Tha'red - wow, the hard top looks very good. Hope it has enough of the right size of correctly located fasteners to hold it to the body shell and it is also waterproof (as the targa band projects above it). Please post internal photographs. I'll guide you on how to gusset it for minimum weight and cost and maximum user friendly advantage.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 16:28   #92
BHPian

DB Sir, I guess the bolts are good enough. the hard top sits tight and a lot of the rattles have disappeared. Your advise will be very valuable to us. Look forward to it. posting pictures of the insides. please do let me know if you need more angles/shots and i will get them.

all, here are the list of changes i have experienced so far with the new hard top and some feedback on the top itself:

1. ride quality has improved dramatically. the car is firm on the road and does not wobble around in high speeds. this is a very very comfirting factor for me and the whole feeling is great.

2. noise levels have reduced considerably in the cabin. there are some holes/gaps in the front door sides which does let wind noise come in after 80kmph. below this speed, its pretty quiet.

3. braking has improved. i have no idea why, some real techies will know better. i am more confident on the brakes now at hgiher speeds.

4. looks great. have many folks staring at the Jeep more than before. also had one person chase me down and ask where i got it.

5. Rear hatch opening and closing is a slight challenge. i am hoping the glass and frame are able to handle the pressure. Prabhu was very confident it can.

6. there was water leakage from top of the the hatch glass after fitment. thanks to the Hyderabad rain that I found out before leaving. Prabhu's team fixed it with a thicker beading and some packing. I hope the fix holds on for good. there is no leakage anywhere else in the HT.

7. Most of the body and door rattle that existed and could not be fixed earlier have disappeared. this is a huge benefit of the HT. now, when i shut the engine off, the shudder and noise is at acceptable levels, without which it would be like a car and not a Jeep!

for all cost related info, please do contact Prabhu, whose # is on the Hydderabad Hard Top thread. Posting pictures below for your viewing. hope they help.

here is the order for the pics as i dont know how to insert text in between!
rear pic, inside roof, fastening of the front roof, rear glass Hinge fastners, rear glass Hinge fastners on the inside, rear panel fastners on the pillar, fastners in between panels and rear roof fastened to the Pillar/band.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tha'Red : 4th October 2012 at 16:32. Reason: adding order of the pics
Tha'Red is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 19:01   #93
BHPian

Hi,

Have you opted for the openable panel version as the locking mechanism seems to be missing in your images (knobs and plates)

Vijay
vj_k2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 19:36   #94
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics Tha'Red. Any plans for getting front facing back seats? And, just a suggestion, please get of the ugly rear bumpers, they are spoiling the good looks of the Jeep.

Quote:
..here is the order for the pics as i dont know how to insert text in between!
Here you go - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...-team-bhp.html (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP)
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 19:38   #95
BHPian

Hey, Nice buy. Congratulations!

Thank you for the pictures and information regarding the HT. I was wondering about the glass hatch at the back. How does that open/close? If the spare wheel is on, then I suppose the rear door will need to be opened to open the hatch. Or can it be opened even with the door closed. Does that detract from the usability of the glass hatch? How long did the install take?

My apologies if these are one question too many but I'm planning on getting HHT and was wondering about these aspects. Is it possible for you to show some pictures of the hatch. Thanks.
thewhiteknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 09:15   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
ride quality has improved dramatically. the car is firm on the road and does not wobble around in high speeds. noise levels have reduced considerably in the cabin. there are some holes/gaps in the front door sides which does let wind noise come in after 80kmph. below this speed, its pretty quiet. braking has improved. i have no idea why, some real techies will know better. i am more confident on the brakes now at hgiher speeds. Most of the body and door rattle that existed and could not be fixed earlier have disappeared. this is a huge benefit of the HT. now, when i shut the engine off, the shudder and noise is at acceptable levels, without which it would be like a car and not a Jeep!
Dear Tha'Red - this was expected. The torsional rigidity of the original MM540 body tub was terrible. The Thar body tub is slightly better due to adaptation of Bolero body mounts. Now, the tub is held over, thus the node points and frequencies have changed completely. From a Product Engineer's standpoint, taking this as a starting point, I would have measured all the nodes and then made subtle design changes to the soft top body to provide similar performance. That's when body rattle in soft top Thars will go. See the Wrangler, you can see similar cues. Alas! I hope "somebody" does "something".

By the way, the rear does not look very appealing. Subtly placed pin-striping will help. Go for it. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 21:22   #97
BHPian

@vj I don't have the openable panels. This is all shut. No gaps too. Didn't find the openable panels practical for regular use.

@dry ice, I am not installing front facing seats as I need the rear space for my golf kit! I am going to remove the bench seat on the passenger side too to make more space. Have put the spare wheel inside now.

@DB Sir, will consider the pin striping, but generally don't like adding anything to a stock paint job. Any other advise to make it more robust will be welcome. Thanks a lot.

@thewhiteknight, the hatch door opens only after the tailgate is opened. Opening is relatively easy, but closing is tricky as you have to hold it down with one hand and shut the tailgate. Both are true with or without the spare wheel as the tailgate holds the hatch in place.
Net installation time was 2 days in my case.

The smell of the silicone sealant & paint is still very strong and irritating. Any ideas on how to get rid of it quickly?
Tha'Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 20:48   #98
BHPian

Quote:
The smell of the silicone sealant & paint is still very strong and irritating. Any ideas on how to get rid of it quickly?
This takes couple of days, either leave windows/tailgate doors open overnight or use deodoriser (from any local department store) overnight

Last edited by benbsb29 : 15th October 2012 at 20:56. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
vnambiar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 21:14   #99
BANNED

Quote:
@vj

Leave an open container like a bowl filled with vinegar overnight in the car. Works good for all kinds of odors.

Cheers
gthang is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 18:54   #100
BHPian

Quote:
here is the order for the pics as i dont know how to insert text in between!
rear pic, inside roof, fastening of the front roof, rear glass Hinge fastners, rear glass Hinge fastners on the inside, rear panel fastners on the pillar, fastners in between panels and rear roof fastened to the Pillar/band.
Dear Tha'Red: Behrambhai is right. The rear portion look disappointing. I would also suggest you remove the Wheel cover. Just the sight of a big muscular wheel can make things much better!
KkVaidya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2012, 19:56   #101
BHPian

i also love the looks of the Thar, but after reading so many bad reviews about the quality of parts, decided not to go for it :( too many quality issues.

i guess for the amount of money you've(owner) already spent, you could have got a new Renault Duster :P

even about the xuv 500 i've been reading about quality issues here and there.
farhadtarapore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2012, 09:26   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore
i guess for the amount of money you've(owner) already spent, you could have got a new Renault Duster :P
While i concede there are some quality issues, coincidentally, 2 days ago when I was getting a remote locking system fixed, a brand new Duster came in there for accessories. Its owner spent quality time asking about and exploring the Thar!!! They were more around the Thar while their vehicle was being attended to, than it. Value definition is subjective I guess:-).
Tha'Red is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2012, 10:01   #103
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Installed the Hyderabad HT today! It's making a big difference to the driving experience in the short run I've had so far. Will be driving back to Blr tomorrow. Shall share the experience. Thanks to Prabhu for doing a quick job on this despite holidays here. One pic attached for immediate viewing. More later.
What a beautiful looking car!!!! This is what mahindra should have made as OEM. Never mind at least now thar owners have a neat looking hard top option. What I like aesthetically is the red b pillar exposed, this looks very chic. You have a very nice looking ride my friend
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2012, 14:36   #104
BHPian

where can i get this hard top. appreciate if i could get some contact details. it looks brilliant !!
ad1329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2012, 20:28   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad1329
where can i get this hard top. appreciate if i could get some contact details. it looks brilliant !!
It is available in Hyderabad. Please check the Hyderabad Hard Top thread in this forum for all details and contact info of Prabhu.
Tha'Red is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote