Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 28th August 2013, 21:31   #121
BHPian

Yes I am maintaining the same pressure on front and back tyres.
Tha'Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2013, 21:26   #122
BHPian

Update: got the brake booster and vacuum tank upgraded 2 days ago. The braking has significantly improved and feels more confident at all speeds/gears. Has been a good spend than other less important stuff on the Jeep.

Thanks to Bopanna for his guidance on this, Really appreciate it. I guess we have to thank Rajith too, as he started it. Manjunath at India Garage did a prompt job. I have ordered parts for a friends Thar now!

My Thar has run 27k+ Kms! and no issues. It's my daily drive and love it. Hadn't been driving for about 2 months due to a medical reason, but feels good to be back driving, with better brakes:-)! Wasn't easy for the few weeks to be seated in a chauffeur driven Thar!!!!
Had many of the fasteners tightened and general rattles are almost negligible. Next....rear suspension work! Janniah springs is what's on my mind, gotta find time to get it done.

Cheers!
Old 18th February 2014, 17:43   #123
BHPian

Is this a new vehicle? Why are you upgrading things? Are they not satisfactory? Also what city and highway mileage do you get? Im considering buying a 2nd hand Thar

Last edited by GTO : 19th February 2014 at 14:45. Reason: STRICTLY no SMS language on this forum please
shireeshjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2014, 19:33   #124
BHPian

It's 3yrs old. Needed the brake upgrade as the ones it came with are poor. Now it's really good. Changed the leafsprings to helper ones for better ride quality. Has not been that great from a bounce perspective, but steering is much better. I may need to change the dampers to see if the bounce improves.
Mileage is around 10.
Old 20th February 2014, 22:33   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha'Red View Post
It's 3yrs old. Needed the brake upgrade as the ones it came with are poor. Now it's really good. Changed the leafsprings to helper ones for better ride quality. Has not been that great from a bounce perspective, but steering is much better. I may need to change the dampers to see if the bounce improves.
Mileage is around 10.
Apologies for my ignorance, what is " Changed the leafsprings to helper ones" ?
TuxDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2014, 18:23   #126
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra Thar - my initial ownership report

hi,

would any of you Thar owners out there honestly recommend someone buying a second hand Thar as a daily commute in congested city traffic and for the occasionaly long distance trip into the hills on the weekends and maybe a really long distance 3,000 to 6,000 km expedition across India (once a year)!

Please let me know if the Thar is the vehicle for me or am I better off with my existing VW Petrol Polo which is awesome to drive, great handling and responsiveness and extremely reliable (so far).

Thanks
Shireesh
shireeshjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2014, 12:53   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shireeshjacobs View Post
hi,

would any of you Thar owners out there honestly recommend someone buying a second hand Thar as a daily commute in congested city traffic and for the occasionaly long distance trip into the hills on the weekends and maybe a really long distance 3,000 to 6,000 km expedition across India (once a year)!

Please let me know if the Thar is the vehicle for me or am I better off with my existing VW Petrol Polo which is awesome to drive, great handling and responsiveness and extremely reliable (so far).

Thanks
Shireesh
Not comparable. Your description will not match expectations- Thar is awesome feel not necessarily to drive; Handling and responsiveness is poor but thats why we buy it to control it despite odds and master it; Thar owners love tinkering and cannot sleep if its going to be reliable, some part has to break or something needs to be changed, so most of us subscribe to many threads to get comfortable in misery. Happy Polo to you.
vnambiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 11:30   #128
BHPian

My Thar came back from general service 2 weeks ago and at that time I had torsion bar adjusted since the front was very low after installing the Janniah leaf springs.

There was a weird noise (thud) generated when I stepped/tapped on the brake pedal while driving slowly, like in the basement or parking, etc. The vehicle would stop with a jerk and the front left suspension also felt hard while going over small speed breakers or pot holes. Managed with this for about 2 weeks and then took it to the ASC on Saturday.

The guy figured it out in about 5 mins, asking me to go back and forth while tapping the brakes, that the upper arm bolt on the left front had become loose and it was by quite a few threads!!!! once tightened, the ride is absolutely good.

sharing this, in case any of you are facing a similar situation, please do have it checked and corrected. Otherwise the Thar is running absolutely fine, being my daily drive for over 3 yrs now.
Tha'Red is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2014, 08:56   #129
BHPian

Merry Christmas, happy holidays and have a fabulous, vrooming 2015, everyone! Drive safe!
Old 14th April 2015, 10:03   #130
BHPian

MODS : I have sold my Thar and this thread can be closed.
Thanks to one and all of the wonderful and useful conversations, inputs and encouragement while I owned that wonderful machine. I truly enjoyed the ownership. Now, looking forward to the Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT ownership!

Last edited by Tha'Red : 14th April 2015 at 10:03. Reason: mistake