Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 25th April 2011, 15:03   #1
BHPian

Default Gargoti - The natural stone Museum

It was a long weekend, good friday followed by the weekend.

I did not know until late in the evening of thursday that even my wife had a holiday on these three days.

I had been eitching to take my parents and wife on a ride in the few figo since the time we got it.

Since my kid is barely four months old, my parents were reluctant to go for a very long drive as the kiddo will be very uncomfortable.

Had been thinking of some nearby place, and just thought of paying a visit to my cousin who stays in Deolali base camp.

We started off from our home at 7:00 AM so that we reach Deolali max by 11:00 AM, have lunch, rest a while and leave for visiting nearby attractions.

Everything went on as decided and we reached Deolali by 11:00 AM. At lunch my cousing asked if I had stopped by the Gargoti Natuarl Stone Museum and I had no clue what this was and I told him, I am not aware of it, but if it is worth visitng, will surely stop by while returning back.

Gargoti is situated in Sinnar MIDC area and is a must watch.

Entry fee is Rs. 50 per head if you are in a group of more than four people.

This museum is a collection of natural stone for over a period of 30 years by ex-defence personnel.

Stones, ranging from precious to semi precious stones are in the collection and the guided tour is just fantastic! The guide will tell you how these stones are fromed, how they found thier way to this museum. It also has stones from Moon and Mars with a proper certificate of authenticity.

Along with this, a few samples of Dinosaur bone fossils are also featured.

Who ever plans to visit Nashik, this is a sure place to be included in the itenary!!

Cheers!
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 16:39   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Gargoti - The natural stone Museum

ObsessedByFIAT, Thanks for sharing! We visit Deolali very frequently (like 6 - 8 times a year) and are always on the lookout for interesting things to do. This has been added to the to-do list.

Have any interesting pictures to share?

P.S. The Bombay-Nasik highway has some great driver patches. I hope you had fun
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 23:34   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
It was a long weekend, good friday followed by the weekend.

I did not know until late in the evening of thursday that even my wife had a holiday on these three days.

I had been eitching to take my parents and wife on a ride in the few figo since the time we got it.

Since my kid is barely four months old, my parents were reluctant to go for a very long drive as the kiddo will be very uncomfortable.

Had been thinking of some nearby place, and just thought of paying a visit to my cousin who stays in Deolali base camp.

We started off from our home at 7:00 AM so that we reach Deolali max by 11:00 AM, have lunch, rest a while and leave for visiting nearby attractions.

Everything went on as decided and we reached Deolali by 11:00 AM. At lunch my cousing asked if I had stopped by the Gargoti Natuarl Stone Museum and I had no clue what this was and I told him, I am not aware of it, but if it is worth visitng, will surely stop by while returning back.

Gargoti is situated in Sinnar MIDC area and is a must watch.

Entry fee is Rs. 50 per head if you are in a group of more than four people.

This museum is a collection of natural stone for over a period of 30 years by ex-defence personnel.

Stones, ranging from precious to semi precious stones are in the collection and the guided tour is just fantastic! The guide will tell you how these stones are fromed, how they found thier way to this museum. It also has stones from Moon and Mars with a proper certificate of authenticity.

Along with this, a few samples of Dinosaur bone fossils are also featured.

Who ever plans to visit Nashik, this is a sure place to be included in the itenary!!

Cheers!
Can you please tell about the route you pick from pune?
How is the road ?
Lastly please share some pics.
KALINGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 10:01   #4
BHPian

@GTO, @KALINGA:- Thanks for reading through the post!

I would surely like to do the Nashik-Mumbai strech sometime! Infact I wanted to visit my uncle in Kalyan and then go towards Nashik, but somehow that did not work out. :(

Well, I stay in Pune and took the Pune Nashik route. From Nashik Phata towards Sangamner, turn left at Sangamner (Where the road ends, right goes towards Indore and left towrds Nashik)

Road till Chakan is in great condition (It is a toll road and for LMV, the toll is Rs.23 for one side trip) and is a four lane road. Right after that till Nashik, infact beyond Nashik towards Saputara its all two lane road. The condition is good and you can easily do speeds upto 110 KM/PH. Just when Sinnar starts (The place where this museum is) traffic is heavy and the average speeds come down to 40-45 KM/PH

I did not take any pics, however got a CD of the museum and will try to collect some pics from that and will upload it shortly. I dont think it will be possible today as I am going to take the delivery of my 118 NE!!!

Trust me, till the time you do not have a HD camera, nothing else can do justice to the beauty of the stones. I mean the color, the gradient, the lighting effect on them is all that can be captured and enjoyed only with human eyes!

Cheers!

(Just came across http://www.indiamike.com/india/mahar...museum-t28241/ which has information and pics of the museum. Hope this helps!)

Last edited by ObsessedByFIAT : 26th April 2011 at 10:05.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 10:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)

You can visit Superb Minerals India Pvt. Ltd. - Exporter of Indian Geological Specimens , Specializes in Zeolite / Zeolites minerals to see some pictures of the mineral stones in the museum. I have a collection of pictures that a friend had sent me after visiting the place. I have never been there, but a plan to visit this place is surely there.

The map
Name:  gargoti_map.jpg
Views: 4075
Size:  54.3 KB

Map courtesy - Superb Minerals India Pvt. Ltd. - Exporter of Indian Geological Specimens , Specializes in Zeolite / Zeolites minerals

Last edited by pjbiju : 26th April 2011 at 10:15.
pjbiju is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 11:03   #6
BHPian

@pjbiju: - Thanks for the inputs and a representation of the road! I tried visiting the site you mentioned above, but looks like it is blocked for my compnay network. :(

Cheers!
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   Reply With Quote