Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 27th April 2011, 21:55   #1
BHPian

Default Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road

Friends / BHPian's

I assure you all that this would be an interesting travelogue of a long (6750KMS) solo driving from Bangalore to Bhutan via Sikkim which i had made in Sep-October 2010.
My sincere apologies for posting the travelogue sooooo.. late.

Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-sikkim.jpg

Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-bhutan.jpg

Attachment 536405

Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-dsc05694.jpg

MOTIVATION TO THE TRIP:
Earlier most of my leisure holidays (long/Short) would be either by Train or bus. After becoming a proud BHPian, I20ian and after being inspired by reading empteen no. of travelouges posted by fellow BHPians, I have become a Solo driving traveling freak.
From May 2009 to August 2010i had many successful trips in my I20from bangy to the following places.
1. Uttarakannada (Murdeshwar, Gokarna, Dandeli & surroundings)
2.Mantaralaya 3. Tamilnadu & Kerala ( upto Kanyakumari)
4. Tirupathi 5. Kodaikanal 6. Nagarhole, BR Hills & Waynad areas.

After successful exploration of above explored places, my mind was asking for more ( Dil Mange More).

From September last week to October 3rd Week I had an opportunity to take a long break from my professional work and this would also coincide with my son's Dusserah school vacation.

to be contd.,
sree70 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 22:24   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road

Contd.,
Thus the long holiday duration was marked in my mind and it would be for a maximum of 3 Weeks.

NEXT THOUGHT - Where on the Earth to Go?
My dream was to travel to the Southern tip of India & the Northern farthest motorable point of India by road in my own vehicle.
After touching the Southern most tip of Indian in DEC2009 it was the turn of the Northern side. I had 2 options in my mind
(A) North farthest Point - Ladhak & Leh Ranges
(B) North-East - Sikkim or Arunachalpradesh.
After the unexpected cloud burst & heavy flooding in Leh plan was erased. So it would be North-East side.
While going through North Eastern Indian Maps my eyes sighted "Bhutan" a foreign country bordering Sikkim and I remembered our Highway King HVK Sir had motored to Bhutan by Bike & car.
So Mind was pulled towards Sikkim & Bhutan by which I can drive to Northern farthest point and as well as a Foreign nation.
It was like having Cadbury's Dairy milk Double Shot.
(Beta Dheemak me Do Ladoo phoota).
My mind was dreaming about Sikkim & Bhutan and now the task was to make my Crazy dreams & thoughts come true.
I had to put forth this crazy ideas to my Team Mates ( Wifey & Son).
Contd.,
sree70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 06:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road

This looks interesting. Bring it on mate. It would certainly be amongst the longest travels done in an i20.

Glued to the thread.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 07:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

Interesting travelogue. Bring it on!

Have been thinking for sometime of doing Bhutan and North Sikkim together. Your log will give me a lot of relevant information.

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 09:37   #5
BHPian

Contd.,
A fine day I took enough courage &prepared well to bring out my dreamz & the conversations was some what like this;
me: How about 3weeks long trip?
wife: 3Weeks!!!!! great, OK & Where to?
me: Sikkim & Bhutan.
wife: very good & fine, Have you Booked Flight Tickets? Can we get reservations in such a short span?
Wifey was in a mind that we would definitely fly to such a long place and
she had lot of Questions about flight / Train bookings, places around, Travel agents for Local sight seeings and Hotel bookings.
me: TSSSSS!!! - Oh!!Not even a single question about traveling in any other mode of Transport (in my mind ).
after a brief Silence
me: I haven't made any reservations and getting them in such a short span is very difficult.
wife: Then How to Travel ?
me: How about going in our Own Car?
wife: You Mean I20?
me: Yessssss!!!!
wife: Are You Mad, Crazy, nut, Idiot, blah blah ?

After long discussions, pleading & arguments and showing her few self driven long journeys made by fellow BHPians, finally I convinced & won over her.
Especially I showed her the Travelogues & blogs by HVK sir about his trips to Sikkim & Bhutan made long back in a Motor bike & Matiz car.
In fact it was only after reading HVK sir's adventures & deeds, she nodded her Head for the long trail.
My Special thanks to HV Kumar & he is the true spirit for many traveler's.

By Sept 1st Week the Plan was finalized:
Team: Me, Wife & Son.
Estimated Period: 29th September to 20th October
Destination: Sikkim & Bhutan
Transport: Hyundai I20

Contd.,
Old 28th April 2011, 11:21   #6
BHPian

sree70, eagerly waiting for your complete travelogue as Sikkim is in the list of places to visit this year.

Please bring it on and Drive Safe !
Ride_4_Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 11:23   #7
BHPian

Cool, I guess this is a great road trip in the making. Many a times even I feel like traveling to a foreign country by car and what's better than the exotic Bhutan!

Keep it coming mate.
lordofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 11:34   #8
BHPian

Hi Sree,

Waiting for the excitement to begin. Its a very very long drive and my hearty congrats to you on finishing this with great spirit. PM me some techniques to convince wifey for this sort of long drives ;-)

Thanks,
Srinivas.R
sriswe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 11:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

Damn!! my eye pupils expanded when I saw the pics of your I20 in the collage above with KA registration. I was somehow not hoping it to be a road trip and that too to be done on an I20. Hats off to you mate.
This looks like a very interesting travelogue and to have done this with your wife and kids company, it commands respect. Amazing!!

I know this travelogue has been started late, but then now don't keep us waiting for the pics. Post it fast man!!!
Fordmanchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 11:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Looks like it is raining Sikkhim & Bhutan this season! Move back Ladakh, North East is the Flavour of the season!!!

Yes, it is never easy to convince the family to drive all the way to the North East, and it was only in my 3rd drive that my family came along!!

Looking at the photos previewed, I am sure we have an exciting TL coming! Please don;t forget to add useful details on route, road conditions, "Madam's" view on facilities, your experiences in getting the visa/permits done in Bhutan, etc. And also details of hotels you stayed in
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 14:05   #11
BHPian

Thanks a lot Guys, I need lots of encouragement to post my vast experiences & have lot of things to share with you all.
(Routes, road conditions, expenses, facilities, places, tons of Photos /12GB, Food & people) etc.,

PS: My apologies, since i am not able to reply to everyone's comments & appreciation.
Old 28th April 2011, 14:48   #12
BHPian

Contd.,
I had only 20 Days to plan my Itinerary of the Trip.
1) The route, with the help of Google Map, Map my India atlas and going through few travelogues decided the route.
Planned Route:
via NH4, NH5 & NH60 upto Kolkata
NH34 & 31A upto Gangtok.
From Gangtok to Thimpu,Bhutan we did not have detailed route plans but had a little idea that Jaigon is the border between the 2 countries.
2) Hotel Bookings for the stay:
I contacted few lodges in Gangtok for Bookings & found that the Holiday season was yet to start. Got information that accommodation & facilities are easily available without any reservations during my Travel period.
So I dint bother about any Bookings.
Then I was in a mind just to Discover Sikkim & Bhutan in 21Days with I20, my Team & a quite sum of cash in my personal Bank A/C.
So there was no Janjat of flight, Taxi, Accommodation & Travel agent Bookings.
It was only Fill > Drive > Discover.

Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-roads.jpg

to be Contd.,
Old 28th April 2011, 14:49   #13
BHPian

Pour In as much as possible. I would love to do this trip in near future.
I know u had a nice time
Sowmya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 18:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

Nice!!! The photo collages look great Sree. Please post larger pics along with other details. I would love to do such a trip sometime, but you see I'm a little short on resources, mostly time and more importantly, moolah!!!!. Yeah!, but I still hope to do it
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 19:07   #15
BHPian

Contd.,
My vehicle I20 & the roads would be the utmost important characters in the future play. As I cant change the conditions of the road I could only pray & hope for best. So my Chariot was to be well prepared for the show. I decided to give it a thorough servicing & conditioning 3days before the D day.
I took my vehicle to Advaith Hyundai, Rajajinagar where i get it serviced regularly. I explained the service Manager about the proposed long drive on Highways, rough terrains & Hilly Roads which would strain the vehicle a lot and also requested him to condition my Vehicle the best. He was really en-thrilled about my plans of taking Hyundai Hatchback to the extreme road conditions and assured me that I20 is capable of doing it. He promised me that he would take personal care and thoroughly check & prepare the vehicle in all aspects. Again here my confidence level boosted up.
In the afternoon I got a call from him that my vehicle needs Brake liners replacement, even though it would take another 5-6K Kms. I agreed for it & got it changed. By evening the vehicle was fully serviced & I took almost 40Mins to recheck all the points & Parts till I was fully satisfied.

Important things we carried for the Trip:
After the chariot was ready for the show, we chalked out the Important things to be carried for our long drive & the trip. A wonderful post in the BHP forum really helped us in this.
THANKS BHP!!!!

1) Clothes, Traveling beds, pillows, Bed spreads, Jackets, Sweaters, Shoes, Caps, Gloves etc.,
2) Car accessories:
Complete Tool Kit set, Tubeless tyre puncture kit, a thick rope for towing, an Iron rod (kept below front passenger seat) & red chilly powder (kept in dash board) for emergency / safety.
3) Documents:
*Vehicle- RC Book, Insurance policy, Non-pollution certificate & driving License.
*Personal Identification- Passport, Voter's ID & Passport size photos(6nos).
(all Original & 6Photo copies)
4) Khana & Peena ( food /Beverages)
Since we were going to miss our Home food for a long period & Wifey was prepared to cook few of our daily dishes over there, so we carried our regional food stuffs. ( Raw Rice, electric Rice Cooker, Dry Curries / Powder, Pooha, Chuvdha, dry fruits & burfi etc., )
Also carried our famous MTR's ready to eat packets of mouth watering south Indian dishes.
5) Medicines: Important Pills & Capsules, Pain Killers & relieve Balms/sprays, First Aid Kit etc.,
6) Re-chargable LED Torch, Chargers for all electronic Gadgets, A note Pad & few pens to jolt the proceedings, a few handouts & print outs of the places to be visiting.
7) Entertainment & Gadgets:
Since most of our Trip time would be spent in Journeys, Music was must.
Carried more than 100 Music CD's comprising of all types of Music & Songs in 4 languages.
to be contd.,

Last edited by sree70 : 28th April 2011 at 19:11.