Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 5th May 2011, 15:22   #1

Default Bangalore - Chikamagalur

This is a travelogue of a road trip to Chikmagalur we had in January this year. We came to know about this place called “Apna Sapna Homestay” tucked inside coffee plantations that cover a great deal of Sayadri range. Feeling concerned for our 4-months old baby we were thinking for a closer destination with travel time less than 7 hours. I searched in Google map and found the travel time to be four and half hours approximately. Also we heard that the new flyover near Yesvantpur bound to Tumkur is open to public and roads are newly laid on the Bangalore-Kunigal stretch. Thus, feeling sufficiently assured that stars are on our side we started preparing for the tour.

First we enquired with our regular gang for their interest in this trip. Initially everyone agreed but finally dropped out due to various reasons. I thought my brother-in-law will never desert me but he too mumbled about his pressings needs to stay in Bangalore. Finally we realized it’s only three of us (me, my wife and our baby) and secretly we liked the prospect. Since our last trip to Ooty (when the baby was 2 months old) we bought and installed the child restraints seat in the Aveo. We asked our cook to prepare the regular meal for the road (roti and aloo-ki-sabzi), packed our bag on the previous night and set an alarm for 4’O clock.

Based on their previous experience, our friends were pretty sure that we will never be able to start before 8 but by 6 AM (thanks to my wife) we were speeding on old Airport road, my wife on the wheel and our baby sleeping peacefully at the back. Soon we reached the circle near KSCST and found that C.V. Raman road to Yesvantpur circle is closed for outbound traffic owing to Metro-rail work. I showed my membership card to IISc security, made an entry to the register book and went in. Realizing that there is no right turn even from the main gate we went to D gate and came out to M S Ramaiah road and took a right turn at the signal to finally reach Yesvantpur circle via Tumkur road. At this early hour there was hardly any traffic on road and after crossing Penya (on NH4) the flyover started where maintaining 100 kmph is not at all difficult. Very soon we crossed the huge statue of Hanumanji (on our left) to reach Nelamangala. Here we took left to Mangalore-Bangalore Highway (NH48). The stretch to Kunigal is excellent (no speed-breaker) where one can easily do 140 (except for a few well-marked diversions). After crossing Kunigal, we stopped near a country farm to have breakfast. From Kunigal to Hassan (through C. Patana) the road quality is generally good.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 5th May 2011 at 15:37. Reason: Removed FONT tags
aeroabir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 16:14   #2

Default Bangalore - Chikamagalur (contd.)

The road that took us inside Hassan city was horrible and we spent good amount of time negotiating craters (instead of traffic). Finally we touched Belur road where the 37 km stretch to Belur is very well maintained. From there onwards the road became average and deteriorated considerably before reaching Chikmagalur. Our homestay was beyond Attigundi village which was en route to Bababudangiri range. After crossing the BB Hills police check post and forest check post (after 12 kms) we continued on the ghat road for next one hour to finally reach a bus stand (called Apna Sapna Bus Stand) where we saw the first signage of the home stay. After crossing the bus stand we took a left and got off the road (while the road straight ahead goes to Kemmangundi). Another fifteen minutes and mild off-roading for approximately 3 kms took us to the destination.

The place is very scenic, especially the dining area has a great view of the bald mountains. The rooms are big enough for two people and the service is above average. A stroll or drive (only all wheels can go) inside the coffee plantation is very refreshing.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th May 2011 at 16:30. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid direct copy paste from external font editors. Also do a preview before posting. Thanks
Old 7th May 2011, 22:46   #3
BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore - Chikamagalur

Nice one!!.. Did you happen to go to mullayangiri/kemmanangundi? January should have been awesome to drive to these places.. Minus the bad roads of course!
odyssey045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 10:28   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by odyssey045 View Post
Nice one!!.. Did you happen to go to mullayangiri/kemmanangundi? January should have been awesome to drive to these places.. Minus the bad roads of course!
Thanks odyssey045. No I did not go to Kemmanagundi this time. They are re-laying the road in these area and once done it'll be breeze to the top (although trekking will be more appropriate).
Old 9th May 2011, 11:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

Good start. Can you also share the accommodations details about the charges, food, facilities etc?

Btw, where is the picture of your ride
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 12:15   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Good start. Can you also share the accommodations details about the charges, food, facilities etc?

Btw, where is the picture of your ride
Thanks mjothi. The place is owned by Apna Sapna Group (Apna Sapna Homestay in Chikmagalur | Tourist places in Karnataka | Chikmagalur Resorts Weekend Getaways). They charged 1500 INR per person per night inclusive of breakfast, lunch and dinner. We enjoyed the food immensely and the cook is very experienced and well-paid (as he divulged to us). The supporting staff is also very efficient.

Here is the pic of my chevy inside the homestay. This area is used as open air theater and general assembly for kids excursion tour.
Attached Images

Old 11th May 2011, 11:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Nice start to the travelogue

More pictures )
ranjitp1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 14:21   #8

@aeroabir: You can avoid entering in to Hassan city while going towards Belur. On BM highway you can continue [after the right towards hassan city] for 2-3 km and take a kaccha road which directly joins in front of Belur road. I always take this route while driving towards Sringeri. Pradeep
pradeepmr is offline   Reply With Quote