Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 7th April 2014, 21:56   #46
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Blore -> Ooty (with Avalanchee, Conoor) -> Blore

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
Im going again to Ooty during 3rd week of August!!

Booked the place (fortune retreats) opposite to the place I stayed last time (Delightz Inn):
http://www.fortuneholidays.com/

Need to create a list of places to visit for this time. Hope to see good water levels in dams/waterfalls/lakes/etc.

Planning to spend a whole day around Emerald dam. Any inputs guys.

How did you like this place.
Is it ideal for a small family of 2 adults and 2 young kids?

Do they have a small kitchen where we can heat water etc for baby feed?

Thanks in advance.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 22:16   #47
BHPian

Yes, it a decent place for family with kids. Its independent cottages, ground floor and first floor for 2 different family.

Kitchen is not equipped. The room we stayed did not have any equipment to heat stuff. Best to carry your own. Like induction stove or something. That holds good for any stay in hotel/resort as AFAIK none are quipped. Except Home stay in coorg.

Its not too cold however if you have heater with you already , do carry it for kids.
devrajman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 17:11   #48
BHPian

This is one place, which I would suggest everyone to visit at least once. The landscape and scenic beauty is breathtaking, forest is dense and thick which we never expected to be like that and surprises follows back to back.
Yes, we need a permission from forest department, to enter beyond Avalanche check post to visit power house, bhavani temple, base avalanche Lake and upper bhavani dam.
During my last visit, we were not allowed to upper bhavani dam since that area is not approved for tourisms. Only forest department vehicles are allowed inside the forest as it is eco friendly zone.
We hired a jeep for 1K for 5 people from the check post and approximately 2 hours of cut off time will be allotted for each vehicle.
Devrajman, I am excited to hear more about Avalanche from you as you visited latest, waiting for it!!!

Last edited by khan_sultan : 8th April 2014 at 18:29. Reason: removed [FONT] tags
Karthik Gullu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 19:10   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Gullu View Post
This is one place, which I would suggest everyone to visit at least once. The landscape and scenic beauty is breathtaking, forest is dense and thick which we never expected to be like that and surprises follows back to back.
Yes, we need a permission from forest department, to enter beyond Avalanche check post to visit power house, bhavani temple, base avalanche Lake and upper bhavani dam.
During my last visit, we were not allowed to upper bhavani dam since that area is not approved for tourisms. Only forest department vehicles are allowed inside the forest as it is eco friendly zone.
We hired a jeep for 1K for 5 people from the check post and approximately 2 hours of cut off time will be allotted for each vehicle.
+1 to your views. When we wanted to visit Avalanchi in June, 2012, we first went to the Forest Dept at Ooty. They told us that no permission was needed, but we needed to park our car at the check post and proceed beyond that by hiring one of their jeeps.

We paid Rs 1200 for a Jeep for the 4 of us, and they gave a receipt for it also. The cost remains Rs 1200, regardless of the number of persons. It was just our luck that we were the only visitors that day.

The views in the spectacular forest on the ghat road, and the misty valley and waterfall that follow were well worth the time and money. Certainly a must visit for Ooty visitors.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 19:13   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Gullu View Post
Devrajman, I am excited to hear more about Avalanche from you as you visited latest, waiting for it!!!

Thanks for all the info. My last visit was 2yrs back. Haven't been since then.

My cousins marriage is in Conoor in July. May go then!
devrajman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 19:19   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
My cousins marriage is in Conoor in July. May go then!
Avalanche is literally dry as of now. Thats what I heard from a friend who had been there recently. Need to see it in Dec in real glory.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 15:11   #52
Team-BHP Support

I am so sorry I forgot to update about the Fortune Retreats.

We had a really nice time staying at this place. Its very close to the Tea Factory, Dodabetta and Tiger Hill

The location is very good. Less than 15 mins from the center of the city. But still has a a lovely view from the rooms.

Service was very good. The food was ok. Not exceptional but quite decent.

The bathrooms had gas operated water heaters.
The linen etc was clean and the rooms were well maintained.
bblost is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 16:28   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

We had a really nice time staying at this place. Its very close to the Tea Factory, Dodabetta and Tiger Hill

The location is very good. Less than 15 mins from the center of the city. But still has a a lovely view from the rooms.

Service was very good. The food was ok. Not exceptional but quite decent.

The bathrooms had gas operated water heaters.
The linen etc was clean and the rooms were well maintained.

Thanks for the update. Please post few pics too!
devrajman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 18:42   #54
Team-BHP Support

View from my room.
Blore -> Ooty (with Avalanchee, Conoor) -> Blore-20140422-17.14.571-medium.jpg

The cottage we stayed in
Blore -> Ooty (with Avalanchee, Conoor) -> Blore-20140423-10.03.07-medium.jpg

View from just outside the main door.
Blore -> Ooty (with Avalanchee, Conoor) -> Blore-20140423-10.03.18-medium.jpg

Had to climb these stairs to get to the cottage.
Blore -> Ooty (with Avalanchee, Conoor) -> Blore-20140423-10.04.27-medium.jpg

1 of the Bedrooms
Blore -> Ooty (with Avalanchee, Conoor) -> Blore-20140423-10.17.56-medium.jpg

Could keep an eye on the car from the bedroom.
Blore -> Ooty (with Avalanchee, Conoor) -> Blore-20140423-10.24.40-medium.jpg

Last edited by bblost : 20th May 2014 at 18:44.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 20:40   #55
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
@bblost - did you visit Avalanchi and Upper Bhavani Dams ? I was told that we need to drive to Avalanchi checkpost and then hire the jeeps there for these places.

Please share some pictures if you went there.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2014, 13:28   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
@bblost - did you visit Avalanchi and Upper Bhavani Dams ? I was told that we need to drive to Avalanchi checkpost and then hire the jeeps there for these places.

Please share some pictures if you went there.
No.

My holiday was a simple drive
We drove from Hyderabad - Chennai as my parents are there.
Then this holiday in Ooty
Stayed overnight in Bangalore as we were all tired.
Drove back home to Hyderabad
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2014, 14:05   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Yes - you have to park at the entrance. There is an office there where you pickup tickets / jeep. Forest dept also runs mini buses and you can buy required number of tickets. Last trip of the bus is at about 3.30 pm & the trip is approximately for 90 min - 2 hours.

Not sure about taking own vehicles inside, but you may check a the Range Forest office - if you have sufficient access
condor is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2014, 16:13   #58
BHPian

Visited upper bhavani last week. You need to park at the entrance and take the forest dept operated van or jeep. The jeep will be run only when all the 3 buses available are full. The ticket is Rs.150 per person on the van or Rs.1200 for the jeep. I would suggest the van since it is more comfortable. The whole tour lasts around 2 hrs and covers a view point (shola forest), Bhavani orginating point (temple is under renovation) and the upper bhavani back waters. But you can't visit the dam.

The views are stunning and this is a must do during Ooty visit. I shall post the photos in a separate thread.

On the way you can see Emerald and avalanche lakes also but nothing compares to the ride inside the forest and view of the upper bhavani back waters
raju2512 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2014, 16:26   #59
NGM
BHPian

Can anyone share the road condition from Ooty to Avalanche/emerald dam.I am planning a trip to destiny farm stay by September first week.
I hope roads are in reasonable condition and doable in a sedan.
NGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2014, 16:54   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post
Can anyone share the road condition from Ooty to Avalanche/emerald dam.I am planning a trip to destiny farm stay by September first week.
I hope roads are in reasonable condition and doable in a sedan.
Its decent road all the way. The bad stretch starts only after you cross the bridge joining the two lakes. But then that is no more a road !
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote