Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 29th August 2012, 16:57   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: A quick weekend out of Calcutta. Delightful Deul

Great pics there. I am surprised to find that the asphalt road from Egaro Mile to Deul has deteriorated so badly in such a short time. But more shocking is the fact that the forest is disappearing. They are planning to reintroduce deers and peacocks in the forest !!!
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 13:45   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Sirs, being silent reader of this thread, I got inspired for a 3 day trip to Shantiniketan & Deul Park resort from Ranchi with my wife, MIL & FIL.
Our carrier was my trusted workhorse '02 Zen & the round trip was a trouble free 700+ kms.

Coming to the place, the update is that the road from Panagarh to Ilambazar & then to Shantiniketan has improved and one can easily cruise between 60-70 kmph on that stretch. Egaro mile is exactly 17 kms from Darjeeling more from where one takes left turn for Deul Resort. Unless you are driving an SUV, you will most likely scrape the bottom of your car for at least 2-3 instances in this section. The park is about 10 kms from egaro mile and 7 out of this 10 kms is now a tarred road, though single lane. The road is mostly through villages & forests but probably forests are really declining fast! The last 3 kms is a morrum road through forests which ultimately leads to this wonderful abode.

I am thankful to you seniors for sharing this place which was an absolute refresher for us. We stayed there overnight. Sharing some pics...
Attached Thumbnails
A quick weekend out of Calcutta. Delightful Deul-sakets.jpg  

A quick weekend out of Calcutta. Delightful Deul-deul-park_saket-1.jpg  

A quick weekend out of Calcutta. Delightful Deul-deul-park_saket.jpg  

A quick weekend out of Calcutta. Delightful Deul-saket_1.jpg  

A quick weekend out of Calcutta. Delightful Deul-sunset-deul_saket.jpg  

Last edited by saket77 : 29th January 2013 at 13:50.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 12:02   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Coming to the place, the update is that the road from Panagarh to Ilambazar & then to Shantiniketan has improved and one can easily cruise between 60-70 kmph on that stretch.
This sounds like delightfully sweet music to my ears. Thanks for reviving this old thread and also for the useful update on the road. Panagarh to Ilambazaar was undrive-able even a few months ago.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 15:53   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Accept my sincere thanks to you Sudipto da, Saurabh, Mi2n for sharing this place.

After visiting it, I realized that my trip to shantiniketan would have been rather incomplete if I missed Deul. We stayed there overnight. Food was good & very homely.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013, 07:09   #20
BHPian

Thank you Sudipto, Saurabh, Mi2n for the detailed information.

Is it advisable to visit this place in rainy season?
sallubhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013, 10:20   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallubhai View Post

Sallubhai, If those morrum roads do not give up in the rainy season, I expect this resort to be even more beautiful and refreshing in monsoons. The only thing I would worry is the last 3 kms of road. IMO, it should be doable.
Old 8th August 2013, 10:37   #22
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallubhai View Post

Quote:
Sallubhai, If those morrum roads do not give up in the rainy season, I expect this resort to be even more beautiful and refreshing in monsoons. The only thing I would worry is the last 3 kms of road. IMO, it should be doable.
I can report the status of the same tomorrow by this time. It is my native place (Santiniketan) and I will reach tomorrow
Mik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013, 10:43   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
I can report the status of the same tomorrow by this time. It is my native place (Santiniketan) and I will reach tomorrow
Great Mik! Are you also planning for Deul resort; since the roads divert for the two?
Old 8th August 2013, 11:07   #24
Senior - BHPian

Had tonnes of memorable drives/rides on that dirt road. Sometimes after sunset, we used to switch off our headlamps for a bit, and get completely spooked the hell out! In fact, this bit of dirt stretch also saw the 2009 section of INRC, Rally de Kolkata.
AyAn! is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013, 12:04   #25
BHPian

Thanks for sharing this with great photos, Sudipto-S-Team! Its a definite to-go!
Have shifted to Kolkata in mid-2011, and longing to go on long drives soon - this place seems to be ideal (to me, except for the resort though; a wild lodge would have been heavenly) .. did this quite a lot earlier in Karnataka and Orissa, mostly frequenting out to far-reaching forests and streams, but somehow yet to get a hang of going on these drives in WB - the negative perceptions on safety in this state keeps lingering in the mind.
car-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 21:55   #26

Having seen the photographs; there is an irresistible desire to visit Deul during the current monsoon itself. Hope the 2 KM last stretch on morrum would not play a spoilsport.

@ Sudipto da is it possible to book the resort from Kolkata by any chance? If so, then would it be possible for you to let us know the contact details?

Thanking all of you once again for sharing the beautiful photographs. This place is really worth giving a try.

Regards,

Arin
arin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 10:55   #27
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for seeing this post late. I had booked it through a guy called Kaustuv. His number is 9830193523, 9830009307. He is pretty dependable. He could give you the latest info about the road condition.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 13:03   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin2323 View Post
@ Sudipto da is it possible to book the resort from Kolkata by any chance? If so, then would it be possible for you to let us know the contact details?

Arin
Sorry to bump up a question meant for Sudipto da but just my 2 cents on this. The Exsem chain of hotels run this resort. You can find them on the web and the address in Kolkata for advance booking.

Go through these links:

http://www.perfectparibar.com/exsemhotelsandresorts/

http://www.perfectparibar.com/exsemh...contacts.html#
Old 19th August 2013, 21:31   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Sorry for seeing this post late. I had booked it through a guy called Kaustuv. His number is 9830193523, 9830009307. He is pretty dependable. He could give you the latest info about the road condition.

Quote:
Sorry to bump up a question meant for Sudipto da but just my 2 cents on this. The Exsem chain of hotels run this resort. You can find them on the web and the address in Kolkata for advance booking.

Go through these links:

http://www.perfectparibar.com/exsemhotelsandresorts/

http://www.perfectparibar.com/exsemh...contacts.html#
Tons of thanks to you both.The information provided in the url's and a telephonic conversation with Dr. Kaustav Roy were of great help.

Already booked for the coming weekend and feeling excited about that. Just one concern, whether my ritzy can avoid scrapping of the undercarriage in full load (4 adults + 1 child + 1 infant) !

I have planned for only one night (24th August) and would be coming back next day after lunch. Hope this is not too short a duration taking into consideration we would be reaching latest by 11 AM on 24th.

By the way how far are the Bank of Ajay river and the 'deul of Ichai Ghosh' from the resort ? I guess both can be covered by walking !

Regards

Arin
arin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2013, 09:40   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin2323 View Post

Already booked for the coming weekend and feeling excited about that. Just one concern, whether my ritzy can avoid scrapping of the undercarriage in full load (4 adults + 1 child + 1 infant) !

By the way how far are the Bank of Ajay river and the 'deul of Ichai Ghosh' from the resort ? I guess both can be covered by walking !

Regards

Arin

The Ritz should be able to do it without much fuss; though slight underbody scrappings at locally made speedbreakers may happen, but you should be fine with just a bit of caution.

RIver Ajay & Ichai Ghosh temple are pretty much near-by, but I am not sure if all would like to take it as a walk. I suggest you take your car anyway since its rainy season too. The distance should be around 1-2 kms IIRC.