Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 1st June 2011, 19:23   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Guwahati getaways: Tura Siliguri Gangtok Kalimpong Darjeeling Phultshiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Which route did you take from Guwahati to Tura? You did not visit the Caves?
And which route did you take to get back to NH37 at Paikan?
Is NH31 widening work happening after Bongaigaon?
Which is the airport that shows in the signboards 24 kms before Tura?
I always wanted to go to Tura, heard roads were always bad, especially after the monsoons - looks like they are fantastic!
Is there really a road to the Bangaldeshi border from Tura and loop around back to Guwahati?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
^^^
We must do the (mythical) Williamnagar - Shillong route!
Roads do seem to have improved. The real carbreaker used to be the Tura - Williamnagar route.

From Baghmara, one can go to either Tura or Williamnagar. Previously, there also used to be a road via Agia.

The military might have built a border road. Don't know. Will check (by asking taxi drivers at Shillong and Krishnai).

The airport I think is Balek. New. Nonoperational.

Regards
Sutripta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
Hi Sam,

Have you painted the WagonR Olive Green (OG)?? Looks kind of different! Nice T-Log-keep it rolling as its giving me an update on my impending drive to the NE in Nov this year.
HvK, Sutripta, Judemayne; since i started driving in July 09, this trip was the longest and full of what & how's. But i did make it back home all right, and if time permits hoping to go on longer journeys in the future. The Wagon R gave me no trouble at all throughout. Just as the ol Matiz took HvK up the Sela road, the Wagon climbed the Kalimpong & Jorebunglow - Ghoom loops slowly but surely.

For Tura I took the Jalukbari, Chaygaon, Boko, Paikan, Kukurkata, Bajengdoba, Tura gate route and came back the same way up to Paikan. There seems to be another road directly to Agia as I saw a sign in Tura town, but did not enquire about it.

The Tura road is still bad it’s just that I did not take pictures of the negative side. Some part looks like they have not been touched by the public works department since the British left. Road condition apart the Garo hills are backward in every area in comparison to Khasi & Jaintia hills district of Meghalaya. It is for this very reason that a young chap who was serving as a DSP left his job and launched a separatist outfit few years back for a Garo state within India.

I did not stop at Tura for anything other than having breakfast at Tura gate. Shall eat there again on way to Williamnagar soon.

As for the main route, I took the Bongaigaon - Srirampur – Hasimara – Madarihat – Jalpaiguri one instead of Buxirhat. Four laning work is in full swing from BRPL Dhaligaon to little inside Bengal border but not much progress between Jalukbari – Bongaigaon.

I am not sure about the airport as the photograph’s did not log any location either. As for the Williamnagar – Shillong – Guwahati road as well as the borderline one, I think it is only for bikers or bulldozers.

Sutripta, any idea about the Dalu road?

Judemayne, looking forward to meet you in November. And, yes till this trip the Wagon was OG. But now back to its former self as the new colour brought along too much unwanted attention. I did love the colour though.

Last edited by aah78 : 1st June 2011 at 22:48. Reason: Text format tags removed. Please use Notepad instead of a word processor. Thanks!
San Phrangmung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 19:49   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Guwahati getaways: Tura Siliguri Gangtok Kalimpong Darjeeling Phultshiling

>>>

The travelogue and the pics (the verdant scenery) makes me think of picking up the key and driving straight to the northeast.

hvk,

How about a Bombay - North East drive, maybe next year?

Regards
issigonis
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 00:44   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>

The travelogue and the pics (the verdant scenery) makes me think of picking up the key and driving straight to the northeast.

hvk,

Regards
issigonis
Dada,
I do not know about HVK, but I am in! Just name the month.
BolBolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 12:37   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolBolero View Post
Dada,
>>>

I knew you would be in - as you had told me earlier about this sort of a trip.
If we can have hvk and a few others we could go in a convoy.

Finalising the month ( and the year) is the problem!

Inputs from San will help in planning out the logistics and the driving destinations.

Regards
issigonis
Old 2nd June 2011, 13:16   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
e northeast.

hvk,

Regards
issigonis
Maybe this year end.
But to the places in Arunachal I have not visited yet only - Mechuka, Tuting & Namdapha.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 15:48   #21
BHPian

Default Bongaigaon to Hasimara photos

Guwahati getaways: Tura Siliguri Gangtok Kalimpong Darjeeling Phultshiling-nh-31c-.jpg

Guwahati getaways: Tura Siliguri Gangtok Kalimpong Darjeeling Phultshiling-nh-31c-2.jpg

Guwahati getaways: Tura Siliguri Gangtok Kalimpong Darjeeling Phultshiling-nh-31c3-.jpg

Guwahati getaways: Tura Siliguri Gangtok Kalimpong Darjeeling Phultshiling-nh-31c4-.jpg

Guwahati getaways: Tura Siliguri Gangtok Kalimpong Darjeeling Phultshiling-nh-31c5-.jpg

Guwahati getaways: Tura Siliguri Gangtok Kalimpong Darjeeling Phultshiling-nh-31c6-.jpg

Guwahati getaways: Tura Siliguri Gangtok Kalimpong Darjeeling Phultshiling-nh-31c7-.jpg

Guwahati getaways: Tura Siliguri Gangtok Kalimpong Darjeeling Phultshiling-nh-31c8-.jpg

Buxa
Guwahati getaways: Tura Siliguri Gangtok Kalimpong Darjeeling Phultshiling-nh-31c9-buxa-tiger-re-.jpg

Jaldapara
Guwahati getaways: Tura Siliguri Gangtok Kalimpong Darjeeling Phultshiling-nh-31c-10-jaldapara-.jpg
Old 2nd June 2011, 17:45   #22
BHPian

Quote:
>>>

Inputs from San will help in planning out the logistics and the driving destinations.

Regards
issigonis
Thanks, i am missing Kalimpong. Wish had spent a few more days in the hills.

And when the big team reaches NE, i would try to join in as well.

HvK, Arunachal apart Mizoram should be in your list.

BolBolero, what would be most interesting is to drive into Bangladesh through Chittagong Hill Tracts and hit the shores of Cox's Bazar through Tripura in the east and re-enter India through Bengal in the west.

Last edited by San Phrangmung : 2nd June 2011 at 17:50.
Old 2nd June 2011, 18:24   #23
BHPian

Default Siliguri ahoy

1. What a relief it was to finally reach Siliguri.2-3-4. Sinclairs interiors5.That's what i had the nan with6.Gravvy dinner
Attached Thumbnails
Guwahati getaways: Tura Siliguri Gangtok Kalimpong Darjeeling Phultshiling-siliguri-1.jpg  

Guwahati getaways: Tura Siliguri Gangtok Kalimpong Darjeeling Phultshiling-sinclairs-1.jpg  

Guwahati getaways: Tura Siliguri Gangtok Kalimpong Darjeeling Phultshiling-sinclairs-2.jpg  

Guwahati getaways: Tura Siliguri Gangtok Kalimpong Darjeeling Phultshiling-sinclairs-3.jpg  

Guwahati getaways: Tura Siliguri Gangtok Kalimpong Darjeeling Phultshiling-leftover-chicken-fry.jpg  

Guwahati getaways: Tura Siliguri Gangtok Kalimpong Darjeeling Phultshiling-chow-chow-gravvy.jpg  

San Phrangmung is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 21:54   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post
Sutripta, any idea about the Dalu road?
I have not done Baghmara - Dalu. Otherwise NH51 and NH 62 are similar.

Best is to get a bus timetable. Will give you a rough idea of travelling times.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 15:47   #25
BHPian

Nice travelouge on your visit to Tura, Siliguri and Kalimpong. It brings back memories of my travel in Assam, we had been to Bhutan border Samdrup Jonkar in Rangia, and returned to Gauhati. Just had a beautiful glimpse of Bhutan
ukderebail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 18:06   #26
BHPian

@San Phrangmung
Good TL. Awesome pictures of the beautiful NE. Nice narration. Keep posting. Assam and other NE states are my dream destinations.

Last edited by Night_Hawk : 4th June 2011 at 18:07.
Night_Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 19:39   #27
BHPian

>>>

hvk,

Just out of curiosity, what route(s) would you suggest for a Bombay - NE trip?

I have kept NE as a box because I am not familiar with the places except a mild acquaintance-ship with place names such as Tura, Darjeeling, Mirik, Kalimpong, Barpeta et.al.

I would like to plan ahead, just in case we are able to make it sometime.

Regards
Old 4th June 2011, 23:47   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolBolero View Post
Mind if I join from Calcutta? I shall be delighted to meet you at Dalkhola, at the junction of NH34 and NH 31! Please keep this forum informed about your plans or please PM me, if required.
Regards,
Rahul Biswas
Calcutta
rahul4640 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 11:23   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukderebail View Post
Nice travelouge on your visit to Tura, Siliguri and Kalimpong. It brings back memories of my travel in Assam, we had been to Bhutan border Samdrup Jonkar in Rangia, and returned to Gauhati. Just had a beautiful glimpse of Bhutan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Hawk View Post
@San Phrangmung
Good TL. Awesome pictures of the beautiful NE. Nice narration. Keep posting. Assam and other NE states are my dream destinations.
Thanks derebail & NH, once in a while i shall try to explore more place from the region on my trusty Wagon R and update accordingly.
Old 9th June 2011, 10:57   #30
BHPian

Default Thoughts on NH four laning

As you can see form the photographs, the NH 31 C (also the main NH31 to Saraighat bridge) is more like driving on the remains of a road in a post nuclear blast landscape. With no greenery around, I hated it to the core.

The only part of the road that I loved was those in Dooars area upto Coronation bridge over Teesta and the Sevoke road from Siliguri outskirts. But that part starts from only after Hasimara. So rest of the journey after Bongaigaon in Assam is quiet bland.
As the NHAI constructs the much awaited four lane road, some other agency viz. state forest department or they themselves should have planted trees on both sides of the road and even in middle (Dividers) if possible. Planting trees would not only make journeys through these roads a pleasant one but also keep the sides from being washed away during rains. And since the highways gets ample sunlight during the entire day, why not put solar lights as well?

Is it too much to ask for, no I donít think so because we pay all kinds of tax to the Government for everything other than breathing.

Anyways I am thankful to Mr Atal Behari Vajpayee for launching this highways up gradation project. Had it not been for his vision and dedication, we would be driving in craters for another 50 years.

Last edited by San Phrangmung : 9th June 2011 at 10:59.