Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 10th August 2011, 22:31   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip: Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilve

So you thought crossing Rohtang is easy, whatever car you drive? Whoever thought up the name, Rohtang, meaning pile of corpses, should have renamed it the graveyard of clutch plates. Here's a video of people trying to reverse uphill in slush to clear the way for uphill-bound traffic.

Now, we all have this incorrigible habit of overtaking any queue from the wrong side and hoping to squeeze in ahead of other drivers who have been patiently waiting and twiddling their thumbs. At times like these, we love to tell them, Serves you right! Honestly, I went this way too, but quickly figured that I need to go back - and only H-4® and a sarkari Gypsy that I followed, had no drama doing the reverse drive .

Still think going to Ladakh via Manali is a piece of cake? Try chocolate!
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 11:07   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip: Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilve

After remaining stuck in the traffic jam for four-and-a-half hours while it rained cats and dogs, the queue started moving. It was time to cross the landslide zone one car at a time.
Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-rohtang2manali-0k200.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-rohtang2manali-1k200.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-rohtang2manali-2k200.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-rohtang2manali-3k200.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-rohtang2manali-4k200.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-rohtang2manali-5k200.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-rohtang2manali-6k200.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-rohtang2manali-7k200.jpg

What do we find on the other side? This intrepid adventurer on his way up Rohtang Pass.
Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-rohtang2manali-8k200.jpg

The mud and slush on the way down...
Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-rohtang2manali-10k200.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-rohtang2manali-11k200.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-rohtang2manali-12k200.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-rohtang2manali-13k200.jpg
Everyone seemed to be in a major rush to reach Manali, and raced each other down the road. Terrifying thing to do given the road conditions. A couple of interesting anecdotes on the drive down...

A HP State Transport Corporation bus was running late and wanted to blow my car off the road with his incessant honking. I had to stop in the middle of the road and get out to ask him if his horn was new. I promised the driver I would give him way once I could, IF he didn't honk at me when there was no space to pass! It worked. He followed me quietly to a wider section of the road, where I pulled over to let him go.

A Tata Sumo taxi decided to do the same. On narrow sections, he would nose in alongside me on the mountain side, and try to squeeze me out towards the drop, blowing his horn all the while. After a few times, I had had enough. On the next muddy uphill slope, I stopped in the middle of the road, switched to 4L, and crawled up the slope at 10 km/h. A 2WD Sumo depends on momentum to carry it up a muddy slope, and a 10 km/h crawl in mud is just not what it can do. Halfway up the slope, the fellow stopped, and I carried on. The next time he came up behind me a few km down the road, he wasn't so 'horny' anymore! I let him pass in peace.

Scenes of revelry and resultant traffic jam on the way to Manali...
Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-rohtang2manali-14k200.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-rohtang2manali-15k200.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-rohtang2manali-16k200.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-rohtang2manali-17k200.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-rohtang2manali-18k200.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-rohtang2manali-19k200.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-rohtang2manali-20k200.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-rohtang2manali-21k200.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-rohtang2manali-22k200.jpg

The Beas river...
Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-rohtang2manali-22.5k200.jpg

Another one-and-a-half hours stuck in Manali town, just before reaching the HPTDC Beas Hotel...
Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-rohtang2manali-23k200.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-rohtang2manali-25k200.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-rohtang2manali-26k200.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-rohtang2manali-27k200.jpg
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 13:23   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
After remaining stuck in the traffic jam for four-and-a-half hours while it rained cats and dogs, the queue started moving. It was time to cross the landslide zone one car at a time.
Scenes of revelry and resultant traffic jam on the way to Manali...
Two things comes in my mind:
Abuse of Himalayas
Don't take your sedan

Thanks for last set of pictures gives insight to what this stretch has to offer. Plan for this and you are good for all JK and HP.

Last edited by dinesha : 15th August 2011 at 13:28.
dinesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 20:17   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Dinesh,

I'm typing this from rudraprayag where I encountered 150m long water crossings near badrinath. Not only my swift but many Alto wagon r, dzire all did it peacefully! Bad roads are no excuse for idiotic sumos n I love how ss taught them a lesson. Verito man, I see
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 21:20   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinesha View Post
Abuse of Himalayas
Don't take your sedan
Thanks for last set of pictures gives insight to what this stretch has to offer. Plan for this and you are good for all JK and HP.
Dinesh, you've summed up the whole purpose of this thread - I wanted to bring to everyone's attention the prevailing condition of roads across Ladakh, and it has turned out to be quite a surprise, hasn't it?

Where the road along the Pangong Lake via Man, Merak, Chushul to Tsaga and onwards was thought to be pure off-road territory meant only for 4wd vehicles, it now appears doable in any high-GC vehicle.

Where going to Rohtang top was once considered a slightly difficult and mildly adventurous outing from Manali, the road to the top has now turned into a chocolate quagmire of mud and landslides which can kill a car and its uninitiated driver. Coming down the slope towards Manali is easier than climbing up, plus the restrictions and need for permit imposed by the government to go to Rohtang from late June this year, mean a Srinagar > Leh > Manali circuit would perhaps be easier than the reverse.

Where the Pagal Nala before Pangong terrified the most intrepid traveller, a new bridge makes sure there is nothing to worry about, even if one travels on that road late in the afternoon or evening.

Where Zoji La was a nightmarish stretch to negotiate on the Leh-Srinagar highway, it doesn't appear so terrible now, and the one way traffic system has smoothed out progress better than in earlier years.

Where the road to Nubra Valley was once all bad, the bad stretch at present is confined to a 30 km stretch between South Pullu and North Pullu.

Where it was imperative to go to Leh first and arrange permits personally to go to Pangong, Tso Moriri et. al, it now transpires that there are enough agents at Leh who would arrange such permits and send them to you for a small fee, so that, when going to Leh from Manali, one can visit Tso Moriri / Pangong first, and not necessarily backtrack all the way from Leh. The M&M Monastery Escape group did just this, and went to Moriri & Pangong on pre-arranged permits, before reaching Leh. Time & fuel saved!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I'm typing this from rudraprayag where I encountered 150m long water crossings near badrinath.
Hey, when did you take off? In the car or on the bike? And do give us an update on the road status in that region - heard on the news last week that roads to Badri, Kedar and Gangotri were all blocked by landslides and heavy rain.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 15th August 2011 at 21:26.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 05:50   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller
Dinesh, you've summed up the whole purpose of this thread - I wanted to bring to everyone's attention the prevailing condition of roads across Ladakh, and it has turned out to be quite a surprise, hasn't it?

Where the road along the Pangong Lake via Man, Merak, Chushul to Tsaga and onwards was thought to be pure off-road territory meant only for 4wd vehicles, it now appears doable in any high-GC vehicle.

Where going to Rohtang top was once considered a slightly difficult and mildly adventurous outing from Manali, the road to the top has now turned into a chocolate quagmire of mud and landslides which can kill a car and its uninitiated driver. Coming down the slope towards Manali is easier than climbing up, plus the restrictions and need for permit imposed by the government to go to Rohtang from late June this year, mean a Srinagar > Leh > Manali circuit would perhaps be easier than the reverse.

Where the Pagal Nala before Pangong terrified the most intrepid traveller, a new bridge makes sure there is nothing to worry about, even if one travels on that road late in the afternoon or evening.

Where Zoji La was a nightmarish stretch to negotiate on the Leh-Srinagar highway, it doesn't appear so terrible now, and the one way traffic system has smoothed out progress better than in earlier years.

Where the road to Nubra Valley was once all bad, the bad stretch at present is confined to a 30 km stretch between South Pullu and North Pullu.

Where it was imperative to go to Leh first and arrange permits personally to go to Pangong, Tso Moriri et. al, it now transpires that there are enough agents at Leh who would arrange such permits and send them to you for a small fee, so that, when going to Leh from Manali, one can visit Tso Moriri / Pangong first, and not necessarily backtrack all the way from Leh. The M&M Monastery Escape group did just this, and went to Moriri & Pangong on pre-arranged permits, before reaching Leh. Time & fuel saved!

Hey, when did you take off? In the car or on the bike? And do give us an update on the road status in that region - heard on the news last week that roads to Badri, Kedar and Gangotri were all blocked by landslides and heavy rain.
Yes.all. 4 dhams are off limits now till the landslides clear. And 66rcc 21brtf is a bunch of hopeless fellows. Btw I saw a new skoda superb coming up to badrinath

PS : the agents existed even six years back!!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2011, 22:08   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Default The HPTDC Beas Hotel, Manali

My experience with HPTDC hotels has been quite positive, except at the Beas Hotel where we spent one night (mercifully, it was just the one night!)

On the face of it, it appears to be a good hotel located in the heart of the city, and right on the banks of the Beas River. So here are the good visuals first.
Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-beashotel-0.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-beashotel-1.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-beashotel-2.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-beashotel-3.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-beashotel-4.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-beashotel-5.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-beashotel-6.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-beashotel-7.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-beashotel-8.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-beashotel-9.jpg

The bad part is the horribly smelly, dark and musty rooms, the unkempt garden, creepy crawly creatures inside and outside the rooms, poor parking facilities...
Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-beashotel-10.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-beashotel-11.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-beashotel-12.jpg

...and the unfortunate experience of being overcharged even after having paid for the rooms on the net. We ended up paying an additional Rs.15xx on account of arbitrarily hiked room rates which included dinner and breakfast (not something we wanted), luxury tax & CST, which left an utterly bitter taste in the mouth, given the abominable facilities and quality of food served.
Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-beashotel-13.jpg

The front desk guy had the cheek to tell us: 1972 ka bana hua hotel hai, is se achchha kya hoga? (What better do you expect in a hotel constructed in 1972?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Yes.all. 4 dhams are off limits now till the landslides clear. And 66rcc 21brtf is a bunch of hopeless fellows. Btw I saw a new skoda superb coming up to badrinath

PS : the agents existed even six years back!!
Hope you manage to get out of Rudraprayag and back home safe as quickly as possible. Good luck to the Superb - just remember to pick up the pieces after he passes by.

As to the agents, yes, they were always there, but their contact details were not publicised earlier (at least, not that I have noticed earlier).
Old 18th August 2011, 03:19   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Talking Re: The HPTDC Beas Hotel, Manali

Quote:
As to the agents, yes, they were always there, but their contact details were not publicised earlier (at least, not that I have noticed earlier).
Its always been around. All you had to do was google and you'd get this 5 year old link for instance:
Inner Line Permit - India Travel Forum | IndiaMike.com

Google is a wonderful thing - i found that old thread I used back then in 2 secs!
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 16:31   #174
BHPian

Very informative TL,like they say a pic is worth a thousand words.Your pics convey the state of the roads beautifully.I particularly like your way of disciplining the errant drivers,believe you me I have debated doing this upteen times while being tailed by ever honking drivers.
Ramanjit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 21:54   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

18 June 2011

Time to go home. We took the more scenic and less crowded route along the eastern bank of the Beas River, and it took us about 15 hours of relaxed driving (with a longish stopover at Zirakpur), to return to Delhi. A few photographs from this section...

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-manali-0.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-manali-1.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-manali-2.jpg

Spent time plucking and buying peaches and plums from the orchards along the way.
Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-manali-3.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-manali-4.jpg

Wish we could join these monks and enjoy just sitting around here for a while...
Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-manali-5.jpg

...but the road beckons again.
Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-manali-6.jpg

White water rafting on the Beas. Stopped to enjoy the view of the river

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-manali-7.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-manali-8.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-manali-9.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-manali-10.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-manali-11.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-manali-12.jpg

White water turns brown and muddy...
Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-manali-13.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-manali-14.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-manali-16.jpg

Frustrating experience over a fairly long distance - this fellow kept driving at a pace just slower than us, and overtaking on this stretch was tough due to heavy traffic and blind curves.
Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip:  Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.-manali-17.jpg

Thus ended another roadtrip for us - an unusual roadtrip in the sense that we had looked forward to and planned this for years - unlike many of the spontaneous trips we have gone on, over the years. Ladakh was special, and we did not want to undertake this tour half-heartedly. Writing this travelogue was also special, since re-living those memories made the trip even more exhilarating. We hope you enjoyed reading this...

...and we look forward to the next trip soon!

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 18th August 2011 at 22:02.
Old 13th April 2012, 03:35   #176
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Re: Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip: Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilve

SS: Ref my PM's in FB: Great details, loved the log, went over it slow and carefully, specially the section form Spangmik, Chushul, Loma, Mahe, Karzok, Tso Kar, More Plains. Do you have the GPS / KML files, can you please PM me or send me?

Some questions:

1. The 100 KG oxygen tank you recommend, the weight would be 15+ KG? When you fill it to full pressure and climb will it not expand and cause an explosion hazard?

2. Same question with cooking gas: When you climb, the gas would expand and cause a hazard?

Or the expansion tolerances are built in? Or you fill less gas? Would be useful to know the risks we carry.

What would be a better way to cook, basic stuff like hot water, boiling eggs or an omelette? The quick burning type of coal? I think the boiling points would be high up there and would require lot more heat and time to get things cooked.

When you turn the 4wd on how much would it affect the mileage in your experience?

Someone who fills 55 LTRS from Karu, carrys 30 ltrs in cans - it would be possible to do Pangong, NO Hanle, Tso Moriri, Tso Kar, Pang, Sarchu, till Tandi?

What precautions to take for an mHwak 4x4 on this track? Starting problems: I know you had none I had problems on my last trip with my Scorpio CRDE at Rangdum and Sarchu, both places temp was around 4 in the morning and needed hot water to be poured on the pump after which it kicked in.

--Ramky
======

Last edited by ramkya1 : 13th April 2012 at 03:56.
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2012, 10:24   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Apologies for the delayed response.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Do you have the GPS / KML files, can you please PM me or send me?
I have KMZ files if you want them.

Quote:
1. The 100 KG oxygen tank you recommend, the weight would be 15+ KG? When you fill it to full pressure and climb will it not expand and cause an explosion hazard?
It's a 100 litre cylinder. The weight is about 4-5 kg. Comes in its own carry bag. There is a pressure meter attached, and you can see how much gas there is. Even at the max. altitude, we didn't find the pressure reading to have changed significantly. The cylinder is rated for 3000 psi and is filled to 1800-2000 psi. The altitude change should not take the pressure to any dangerous level.
Quote:
2. Same question with cooking gas: When you climb, the gas would expand and cause a hazard? Or the expansion tolerances are built in? Or you fill less gas? Would be useful to know the risks we carry.
Same answer as above...
Quote:
What would be a better way to cook, basic stuff like hot water, boiling eggs or an omelette? The quick burning type of coal?
Why not the LPG stove? I don't see how one can set up a coal fire quickly anywhere in that area.
Quote:
When you turn the 4wd on how much would it affect the mileage in your experience?
Not checked that specifically, but my overall average was in the range of 11 km/l, and the average between Srinagar and Manali was in the range of 9 km/l, including 4wd use where required.
Quote:
Someone who fills 55 LTRS from Karu, carrys 30 ltrs in cans - it would be possible to do Pangong, NO Hanle, Tso Moriri, Tso Kar, Pang, Sarchu, till Tandi?
...and till Manali, with a few litres left over! Sarchu onwards is mostly downhill, you don't actually burn that much of fuel!
Quote:
What precautions to take for an mHwak 4x4 on this track? Starting problems: I know you had none I had problems on my last trip with my Scorpio CRDE at Rangdum and Sarchu, both places temp was around 4 in the morning and needed hot water to be poured on the pump after which it kicked in.
I don't think you should have any problems at all with an almost new vehicle, unless
  • you hit someone
  • someone hits you
  • you fall off a mountain
  • a mountain falls on you
  • you think you are Sebastien Loeb
  • the car metamorphosed into a Bowler Wildcat in your mind
  • you don't like the Indian Army
  • the Indian Army doesn't like you
  • you don't trust God and
  • God reciprocates

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 17th April 2012 at 10:27.
Old 17th April 2012, 11:49   #178
Senior - BHPian

Sir, Thank you very much for the information and..........................
bulleted imagination

The quick burning coals, the Hookah type, do catch on fast, we used it once on our last tirp.

--Ramky

Quote:
Apologies for the delayed response.

It's a 100 litre cylinder. The weight is about 4-5 kg. Comes in its own carry bag. There is a pressure meter attached, and you can see how much gas there is. Even at the max. altitude, we didn't find the pressure reading to have changed significantly. The cylinder is rated for 3000 psi and is filled to 1800-2000 psi. The altitude change should not take the pressure to any dangerous level.

Same answer as above...

Why not the LPG stove? I don't see how one can set up a coal fire quickly anywhere in that area.

Not checked that specifically, but my overall average was in the range of 11 km/l, and the average between Srinagar and Manali was in the range of 9 km/l, including 4wd use where required.

...and till Manali, with a few litres left over! Sarchu onwards is mostly downhill, you don't actually burn that much of fuel!

I don't think you should have any problems at all with an almost new vehicle, unless
  • you hit someone
  • someone hits you
  • you fall off a mountain
  • a mountain falls on you
  • you think you are Sebastien Loeb
  • the car metamorphosed into a Bowler Wildcat in your mind
  • you don't like the Indian Army
  • the Indian Army doesn't like you
  • you don't trust God and
  • God reciprocates
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2012, 21:13   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
2. Same question with cooking gas: When you climb, the gas would expand and cause a hazard?
No, in this case pressure is a function of temperature. In fact at very low temperatures, there is unlikely to be sufficient pressure to get a stove to work properly. You land up with a chicken and egg situation.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012, 17:54   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Am amazing travelog. Loved it to core.
Nice information on road condition. The pics really help.
Just want to ask you: do you really think that sx4 cant manage the route Pangong - Hanle - Tso moriri??

Also please do share the kmz files.
pushkark is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote