Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 6th June 2011, 08:37   #16
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Default re: Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip: Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
queuing up at the Kashmir entry point 70 km before Srinagar to pay Rs.70 each as toll tax. Park the car, go to the single window, jostle with 20 other smelly commercial vehicle drivers to pay the money, then wait to collect the receipt. Wholly mismanaged.
Don't they collect the toll at the toll plaza? Kindly enlighten me about the procedure to be followed/documentation required at that place as I am planning to visit Kashmir in a couple of months in my Linea.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 08:45   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip: Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.

Quote:
Did you use the Dyala Chak-Udhampur route?
HVK

Are you referring to Samba - Udhampur road ? the one we took in 2009

SS

Are you in Srinagar now ? Incidentally we too are in Sringar . Though we started from Chandigarh on 4th night at around same time 9:00 Pm we stopped at Patnitop for a quick nap for few hours and reached Srinagar at around 6 :00 Pm yesterday and are staying close to Nagin lake -

Quote:
The two worst experiences of the leg of the trip were
(1) queuing up at the Kashmir entry point 70 km before Srinagar to pay Rs.70 each as toll tax. Park the car, go to the single window, jostle with 20 other smelly commercial vehicle drivers to pay the money, then wait to collect the receipt. Wholly mismanaged.
You should have paid the Toll at Lakhinpur border -the same place where you must have paid toll on entry to Jammu - they charge Rs 130 instead of Rs 70 in case you tell them that you want to go ahead to Srinagar but the catch is that it is valid for one day only

Whats your plan ahead ,,we want to spend day with family at Srinagar today & move to Gulmarg tomorrow before proceeding for Leh .

Last edited by Turbanator : 6th June 2011 at 08:46.
Turbanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 09:01   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
You should have paid the Toll at Lakhinpur border -the same place where you must have paid toll on entry to Jammu - they charge Rs 130 instead of Rs 70 in case you tell them that you want to go ahead to Srinagar but the catch is that it is valid for one day only
But I think you don't get that toll if you take Dyala Chak bypass
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 09:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The two worst experiences of the leg of the trip were
(1) queuing up at the Kashmir entry point 70 km before Srinagar to pay Rs.70 each as toll tax. Park the car, go to the single window, jostle with 20 other smelly commercial vehicle drivers to pay the money, then wait to collect the receipt. Wholly mismanaged.
I think you are referring to the Lower Munda Check Post after crossing Jawahar Tunnel and before Qazigund town?

You do not have to pay the toll tax again, you have to simply show the toll ticket that you bought at Lakhanpur (after crossing over from Punjab Madhopur), the same ticket is valid at the Lower Munda CP too. Or at least that is what I was told and I did not pay again.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 10:30   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar

I think you are referring to the Lower Munda Check Post after crossing Jawahar Tunnel and before Qazigund town?

You do not have to pay the toll tax again, you have to simply show the toll ticket that you bought at Lakhanpur
Yes, that's the place. Didn't have this info, so ended up paying twice!! J&K govt. gains by dubious means... No notification about this anywhere at either checkpost.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 12:27   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes, that's the place. Didn't have this info, so ended up paying twice!! J&K govt. gains by dubious means... No notification about this anywhere at either checkpost.
You have the option of paying full toll at lakhanpur, or only till jammu at lakhanpur, and then again at the Qazigund checkpost.
If you do it in two step process, you spend 15rs extra.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 13:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

Good luck Doc, waiting for more updates as you go along

Have fun and be safe!!

Regards
deky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 14:05   #23
BHPian

Default Re: Leg 1: Delhi - Srinagar

Quote:
The first leg of the much-anticipated journey is over and done with, and our first night at Srinagar was spent in a houseboat on the Dal Lake.
Doctor saab,

Your's and HVK's journeys are a source of great inspiration. Ladakh is my dream destination and hopefully, oneday i will be there with my Scorp.
I sometimes get a worry whether mHawk 2WD Scoprio will be OK for the Ladakh circuit. Your advise on this will be of great help
Thanks in advance ,
cheers
NH

Last edited by Night_Hawk : 6th June 2011 at 14:07.
Night_Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 15:46   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post

You do not have to pay the toll tax again, you have to simply show the toll ticket that you bought at Lakhanpur (after crossing over from Punjab Madhopur), the same ticket is valid at the Lower Munda CP too. Or at least that is what I was told and I did not pay again.

Here is the latest Gov’t notification on Toll in J&K.

Toll_Notification.pdf

This might be interesting to see. It doesn’t say anything about the time limit on toll paid at Lakhanpur

Great travelouge SS Sir. Hope you had fun. Waiting for more updates
sanjaykaul is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 16:13   #25
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Leg 1: Delhi - Srinagar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Hawk View Post
Doctor saab,

Your's and HVK's journeys are a source of great inspiration. Ladakh is my dream destination and hopefully, oneday i will be there with my Scorp.
I sometimes get a worry whether mHawk 2WD Scoprio will be OK for the Ladakh circuit. Your advise on this will be of great help
Thanks in advance ,
cheers
NH
NH, HVK has already done Ladakh in his Scorpio. Should not be a problem. Time for you to plan
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 16:18   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykaul View Post
Here is the latest Gov’t notification on Toll in J&K.

Attachment 555940

This might be interesting to see. It doesn’t say anything about the time limit on toll paid at Lakhanpur

Great travelouge SS Sir. Hope you had fun. Waiting for more updates
So basically, you pay 70+70 or 130, thus saving 10rs if you pay together. Not much of a benefit, I must say!
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 16:31   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So basically, you pay 70+70 or 130, thus saving 10rs if you pay together. Not much of a benefit, I must say!
The benefit is more in terms of saving time while entering J&K from Punjab. I guess it is better to Pay at Lakhanpur than Lower Munda because of lack of facilities at Lower Munda.

Lower Munda is a known bottleneck and I hope Gov’t domes something about it. Not that I have any hope. I have been traveling the route since my childhood and I haven’t seen much change (other than increased traffic)
sanjaykaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 17:30   #28
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And most of all, I hated adc for not informing me before taking off on a trip that I looked forward to doing together.
Stop the hate!

The only person with whom I did plan to travel with over here on the forum was with Jay that includes not only ladakh and that too dates were not fixed, and finally my travel date was scheduled in 9 hrs or so. I/we travel like that diue to work and other issues.

This is just so silly post from me, so it would be best for me to ignore a reply.

And of course best of luck on your travel.

Last edited by adc : 6th June 2011 at 17:32.
adc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 21:56   #29
v&v
Senior - BHPian

SST & RIDEON all the best for trip. Just landed today after our blr-kerla trip. If all goes as planned then i to will start our trip next week.

Last edited by v&v : 7th June 2011 at 21:57.
v&v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 22:43   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
You have the option of paying full toll at lakhanpur, or only till jammu at lakhanpur, and then again at the Qazigund checkpost.
If you do it in two step process, you spend 15rs extra.
I did the trip three weeks ago. You have the choice of paying Rs 130 for both Qazigund and Lakhanpur right at the time you enter Jammu from Pathankot side. You will get two receipts and have to keep one to show at Qazigund when you reach their checkpost. At Qazigund you will have to get down anyways to go to the counter and exchange your advance receipt for a zero balance one. This makes it the same amount of time that it will take whether you buy together or individually. Individual tax at each post is Rs 70 and you save only rs 10 if you buy together.

It works the other way round as well. I preferred to buy both together each way. Please also ensure that you have exact change as the clerk tends to pretend that he does not have change and that you must wait. Obviously some folks choose not to wait and leave the hundred with the clerk netting him a cool Rs 30 each time this happens.

It is a rip off and you are required to pay more when you enter the likes of gulmarg, pahalgam, sonamarg , Aru etc. . It makes sense to carry a lot of tenners while in the valley.
zipperone is offline   Reply With Quote