Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 20th June 2011, 17:23   #46
BHPian

Default re: Call of the Wild: A 3500 km roadtrip to Pench, Bandhavgarh and Kanha in a Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
We are of course interested in your pics nilanjan. Its only that I am not posting any thing as one liners may be considered as spam
+1 to this. I am sure there must be members like me, who are silently reading and admiring this thread and living the jungle safari through your pics and travelogue. I didn't wanted to break the flow of the log with my one-liners , so thought of not posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
What is this neediness for validation? LOL. Please keep posting.
+1 ,please keep posting this beautiful log. BTW ,rated the tread 5 *
pankaj_sachdeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 18:48   #47

Default re: Call of the Wild: A 3500 km roadtrip to Pench, Bandhavgarh and Kanha in a Fortuner

Nilanjan - what you have doled out here is really outstanding and overwhelming! I've yet to get my neck out of the pending workload bestowed on me as a result of this week long Bandhavgarh tiger trail. Feels really great to know you and shot together in some drives. I've so far able to prepare a slide show naming 'Audacity of a Tiger' will roll it out here soon as my first thread...

Bamera on the 1st picture and the Mukunda male cub in the second. Bamera is the present celebrity, and roam all territories with his own right without resistance from others. But I guess the male cub, just 18 months who is already looking stout, is going to give tough time to Bamera if he lives up the challenge of reaching to his adulthood in another 1.5 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Call of the Wild: A 3500 km roadtrip to Pench, Bandhavgarh and Kanha in a Fortuner-_dsc4561-copy.jpg  

Attached Images

SAFIQUE is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 20:31   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Dude that's unfair- I have sent this thread link to a dozen people who aren't even T-BHPians and we're all eagerly waiting for more!

What is this neediness for validation? LOL. Please keep posting.
Thanks guys. @Noopster - boss I have to resize every image and then upload them onto TBHP one by one...I have already shared with friends and family through Picasa, FB etc. So wanted to make sure that enough people are interested so the effort is worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFIQUE View Post
Nilanjan - what you have doled out here is really outstanding and overwhelming! I've yet to get my neck out of the pending workload bestowed on me as a result of this week long Bandhavgarh tiger trail. Feels really great to know you and shot together in some drives. I've so far able to prepare a slide show naming 'Audacity of a Tiger' will roll it out here soon as my first thread...

Bamera on the 1st picture and the Mukunda male cub in the second. Bamera is the present celebrity, and roam all territories with his own right without resistance from others. But I guess the male cub, just 18 months who is already looking stout, is going to give tough time to Bamera if he lives up the challenge of reaching to his adulthood in another 1.5 years.
Hey Safique, great to see you here! Amazing pictures. Looking forward to your thread.

Bamera is huge! I was reading an interesting thread somewhere that said that Bengal tigers are bigger than African lions, and that tigers had slowly driven out the lions when they arrived in India from the North East (Siberia/Manchuria). Looking at Bamera, I can understand why.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 20th June 2011 at 20:39.
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 21:09   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Thanks guys. @Noopster - boss I have to resize every image and then upload them onto TBHP one by one...I have already shared with friends and family through Picasa, FB etc. So wanted to make sure that enough people are interested so the effort is worth it.

Hey Safique, great to see you here! Amazing pictures. Looking forward to your thread.

Bamera is huge! I was reading an interesting thread somewhere that said that Bengal tigers are bigger than African lions, and that tigers had slowly driven out the lions when they arrived in India from the North East (Siberia/Manchuria). Looking at Bamera, I can understand why.

Yeh- I tend to believe this for sure. Look at the 18 months old cubs, honestly I'd have never new that was a cub unless the guide said it. I immediately questioned him --are you sure this is a cub? and he was assertive that is just a 18 months old..Lions have no chance, I've no doubt Bamera alone can push them out of all territories from Bandhavgarh..

One more picture of the cub...
Attached Images

SAFIQUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 21:54   #50
Senior - BHPian

One of my favorite photos of Barasinghas
Call of the Wild: A 3500 km roadtrip to Pench, Bandhavgarh and Kanha in a Fortuner-dsc_6716.jpg

Call of the Wild: A 3500 km roadtrip to Pench, Bandhavgarh and Kanha in a Fortuner-dsc_6903.jpg

Call of the Wild: A 3500 km roadtrip to Pench, Bandhavgarh and Kanha in a Fortuner-dsc_6135.jpg

Call of the Wild: A 3500 km roadtrip to Pench, Bandhavgarh and Kanha in a Fortuner-dsc_7491.jpg

Call of the Wild: A 3500 km roadtrip to Pench, Bandhavgarh and Kanha in a Fortuner-dsc_7058.jpg

Call of the Wild: A 3500 km roadtrip to Pench, Bandhavgarh and Kanha in a Fortuner-csc_7370.jpg

Call of the Wild: A 3500 km roadtrip to Pench, Bandhavgarh and Kanha in a Fortuner-dsc_6049.jpg

Call of the Wild: A 3500 km roadtrip to Pench, Bandhavgarh and Kanha in a Fortuner-dsc_6026.jpg

A flower that grows in Kanha during the monsoon
Call of the Wild: A 3500 km roadtrip to Pench, Bandhavgarh and Kanha in a Fortuner-dsc_7218.jpg

The barking deer
Call of the Wild: A 3500 km roadtrip to Pench, Bandhavgarh and Kanha in a Fortuner-dsc_6436.jpg
Old 20th June 2011, 22:48   #51
Senior - BHPian

Default A few pictures in B&W/Sepia

A Sambhar stag crossing the road
Call of the Wild: A 3500 km roadtrip to Pench, Bandhavgarh and Kanha in a Fortuner-dsc_6095.jpg

The road from Baghira log huts
Call of the Wild: A 3500 km roadtrip to Pench, Bandhavgarh and Kanha in a Fortuner-dsc_6658.jpg

Fresh pugmark in the morning
Call of the Wild: A 3500 km roadtrip to Pench, Bandhavgarh and Kanha in a Fortuner-dsc_5948.jpg

Silhouette of a Serpent Eagle
Call of the Wild: A 3500 km roadtrip to Pench, Bandhavgarh and Kanha in a Fortuner-dsc_6751.jpg

The largest bovine in the world
Call of the Wild: A 3500 km roadtrip to Pench, Bandhavgarh and Kanha in a Fortuner-dsc_6982.jpg

Tourists killing time, waiting for tiger sighting
Call of the Wild: A 3500 km roadtrip to Pench, Bandhavgarh and Kanha in a Fortuner-dsc_5907.jpg

Some kind of buzzard
Call of the Wild: A 3500 km roadtrip to Pench, Bandhavgarh and Kanha in a Fortuner-csc_5954.jpg

Boar family
Call of the Wild: A 3500 km roadtrip to Pench, Bandhavgarh and Kanha in a Fortuner-dsc_5974.jpg

There would have been a kill nearby...
Call of the Wild: A 3500 km roadtrip to Pench, Bandhavgarh and Kanha in a Fortuner-dsc_6681.jpg

Road leading from Khatia gate to Baghira Huts/Kisli gate in the core zone in Kanha. Baghira is the only tourist acco within the core zone.
Call of the Wild: A 3500 km roadtrip to Pench, Bandhavgarh and Kanha in a Fortuner-dsc_6663.jpg
Old 20th June 2011, 23:37   #52
BHPian

That's an amazing road trip & some really amazing pics you have put up !

Perfect vehicle for such a trip ! Do keep the pics coming !
nirmaljusdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 02:12   #53
BHPian

Great to see this post moving finally.

Here's posting a very important image from this expedition..

2 wolves spotted in Bandhavgad.........

Call of the Wild: A 3500 km roadtrip to Pench, Bandhavgarh and Kanha in a Fortuner-img_3329wolves.jpg

Call of the Wild: A 3500 km roadtrip to Pench, Bandhavgarh and Kanha in a Fortuner-img_3330wovf.jpg

According to experts wolves were seen in Bandhavgad after a long time and we were fortunate in documenting them.

And 2 very disturbing images : Cattle inside the core area. We were waiting for alarm calls and these guys were grazing their cows almost nonchalantly

Name:  cattle in bgad a route.jpg
Views: 2343
Size:  91.8 KB

Name:  cattle in bgad b route just before fireline.jpg
Views: 2303
Size:  55.1 KB

The Bandhavgad tigers are showing an increasing precedence to cattle and in process becoming a big big problem. There's an interesting discussion on this topic here and request readers to check out why this is such a big problem and contribute with solutions / views here http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=226892460671958

Dr. A Ghosh
+919960332228

Last edited by abheekg : 21st June 2011 at 02:16.
abheekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 12:23   #54
BHPian

@ Nilanjan Sir: I think the adjutant stroke is from Bandhavgarh. Nice updates.

@ Abheek: Well noted that cattle is a problem in Bandhavgarh. Even, the guides/drivers say, B2 has eaten more cattle than Chittal, same in case of Mirchiani's sub adult cubs. Also, the compensation for cattel is 5k (given by tiger guards) apart from FD's own compensation. So, it is benificial. There is a moral hazard problem here. But the cattle diseases make habitat loss (especially Bisons). As Bandhavgarh reintroudced it, the cattle needs to be checked.
Subrat Seet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 15:16   #55
BHPian

Wow.. what photos. Really loved them! And you should thank your Fortuner for making this journey look seamless! I have thought about doing this trip quite a few times but cant possibly do it with my Esteem.. Will have to wait for a bigger car.

Pench looks so different now compared to April when we were there. Its time to plan another wildlife sojourn soon. Its already been 2 months!
sarmarishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 16:21   #56
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Call of the Wild: A 3500 km roadtrip to Pench, Bandhavgarh and Kanha in a Fortune

Nilanjan, amazing documentation and awesome photographs. Reminded me of my trip to these three sanctuaries in April, except that I had no sightings in Bandhavgarh.

Are there any more photographs?
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 23:01   #57
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Call of the Wild: A 3500 km roadtrip to Pench, Bandhavgarh and Kanha in a Fortune

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
Wow.. what photos. Really loved them! And you should thank your Fortuner for making this journey look seamless! I have thought about doing this trip quite a few times but cant possibly do it with my Esteem.. Will have to wait for a bigger car.

Pench looks so different now compared to April when we were there. Its time to plan another wildlife sojourn soon. Its already been 2 months!
Thanks. yes, the Fortuner helps greatly in ensuring a 'no worries' trip, and added to the freedom and flexibility. But that is the reason why I bought the beast over less robust vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Nilanjan, amazing documentation and awesome photographs. Reminded me of my trip to these three sanctuaries in April, except that I had no sightings in Bandhavgarh.

Are there any more photographs?
Thanks. I read about your trip while I was planning my own. We had pretty good sightings at Bandhavgarh, thought not as good as Abheek and his friends'.

Quite a few pictures to come.
Old 22nd June 2011, 13:18   #58
BHPian

Amazing narration with photographs. One of the best TL on wildlife on this forum.
Reted 5*
Regards

Last edited by Coooolcat21 : 22nd June 2011 at 13:20.
Coooolcat21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 14:28   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
Great to see this post moving finally.

Here's posting a very important image from this expedition..

2 wolves spotted in Bandhavgad.........

According to experts wolves were seen in Bandhavgad after a long time and we were fortunate in documenting them.
Wolves are very rare sightings, Abheek. You are one lucky dude! We heard that leopards, wolves and bears are being slowly driven out of Bandhavgarh due to tiger concentration. So th4ese kind of sightings might soon be non-existent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coooolcat21 View Post
Amazing narration with photographs. One of the best TL on wildlife on this forum.
Reted 5*
Regards
Thanks. I will be sharing our experiences of the safaris, as well as pther pictures as soon as I get time from work.

Bangalore folks: I often drive down to Masinagudi for weekend R&R, and drives. Please let me know if anyone is interested in joining - family as well as bachelor trips are fine.
Old 22nd June 2011, 14:53   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Bangalore folks: I often drive down to Masinagudi for weekend R&R, and drives. Please let me know if anyone is interested in joining - family as well as bachelor trips are fine.
Would love to. Please do let me know! Also, would be great to study the tiger family in Bandipur (as per Abheek) where a male, female and cubs are being spotted regularly together!
sarmarishi is offline   Reply With Quote