Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2011, 01:05   #61
BHPian
 
MadBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 180
Thanked: 218 Times
Default Re: In Search Of “The God” – In God’s Own Country, Kerala

View of Anjuruli..



View Of Kalvary Mount (Taken Last year, But just to show how it looks)

MadBiker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 13:38   #62
BHPian
 
viggienomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Madurai
Posts: 93
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: In Search Of “The God” – In God’s Own Country, Kerala

An engrossing travelogue. I feel the rains & numbed fingers myself! A valuable reference for me to explore Idukki district. I'm seriously considering to get a bike now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBiker View Post
...
This is the route map for the entire trip.. Kochi, Kerala to Rameshwaram, Tamil Nadu - Google Maps
I actually tracked the route in google map in another tab as I travel(!) through the thread. Your route map link made things easy. However, I like to confirm the route from Thekkady to Vagamon (on your Day 2).

You mentioned visiting Parunthumpara from Thekkady & then to Vagamon. Seems it is not mentioned in the map link you posted. I guess this is the route you used, Thekkady to Parunthumpara to Vagamon - Google Maps. Please confirm. I'm interested in visiting these two places from Thekkady.

Thanks
viggienomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 16:54   #63
BHPian
 
MadBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 180
Thanked: 218 Times
Default Re: In Search Of “The God” – In God’s Own Country, Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by viggienomad View Post
An engrossing travelogue. I feel the rains & numbed fingers myself! A valuable reference for me to explore Idukki district. I'm seriously considering to get a bike now.

I actually tracked the route in google map in another tab as I travel(!) through the thread. Your route map link made things easy. However, I like to confirm the route from Thekkady to Vagamon (on your Day 2).

You mentioned visiting Parunthumpara from Thekkady & then to Vagamon. Seems it is not mentioned in the map link you posted. I guess this is the route you used, Thekkady to Parunthumpara to Vagamon - Google Maps. Please confirm. I'm interested in visiting these two places from Thekkady.

Thanks
Thanks for liking the log.

Attaching the route map for the first two days.. Let me know if you need any other information..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBiker View Post
For Day 1: This was the route :

Kochi - Tripunithura - Muvaattupuzha - Thodupuzha - Muttom - Kurumannu - Pala - Erattupetta - Kanjirapalli - Mundakkayam - Kuttikanam - Pampanar - Vandipperiyar - Thekkady

Route Map : Day 1

For Day 2 :

Thekkady - Periyar Lake - Kumily - Vandiperiyar - Pambanar - (Take Left) - Parunthumpara - Pambanar - Kuttikanam - Elappara - Vagamon - Kolahalamedu - Alady - Kanchiyar -(Take Left) Anjuruli - Kanchiyar - Kattapana - Kalvary Mount (16 Kilometers From Kattapana and 10 Kilometers from Idukki Town) - Idukki - Kallarkutty - Chengulam - Chitrapuram - Munnar

Route Map : Day 2
MadBiker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 12:56   #64
Senior - BHPian
 
mallumowgli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Palakkad/Coimbatore
Posts: 1,101
Thanked: 704 Times
Default Re: In Search Of “The God” – In God’s Own Country, Kerala

Amazing travelogue there, Madbiker. Enjoying the freedom of not having your parents around this time eh? Am rating this five stars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBiker View Post
It is a Private Estate - You need to register at the entrance - No fees - Just register with vehicle number, address and phone number. Mostly they are friendly enough, a smile works wonders.

*Do Not Show the Camera's - Some Security would take the camera's and would return it only when you come back* Since its a private place, Its better to keep the camera's in the vehicle and use it after venturing into the estate..
Though Poab's estate is a private one, the road leading to Seethargundu view point is actually public. There are some disputes going on as of now, but they cannot stop you from using your camera (in fact they don't) or using that road to reach the view point. If some security tries to confiscate camera you can ask him to mind his own business
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 16:56   #65
BHPian
 
MadBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 180
Thanked: 218 Times
Default Re: In Search Of “The God” – In God’s Own Country, Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Amazing travelogue there, Madbiker. Enjoying the freedom of not having your parents around this time eh? Am rating this five stars.
Thank you! This time it had to be a solo ride, and i thoroughly enjoyed it!


Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Though Poab's estate is a private one, the road leading to Seethargundu view point is actually public. There are some disputes going on as of now, but they cannot stop you from using your camera (in fact they don't) or using that road to reach the view point. If some security tries to confiscate camera you can ask him to mind his own business
I remember reading in a Travelogue (In Team-Bhp) that the estate is a private area and public is not allowed to shoot them (Take pictures) without prior permission. And i spoke to the security guard while returning and he mentioned the same, though they don't normally confiscate it, they mention not to use camera inside their premises.
MadBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 12:41   #66
BHPian
 
cogweelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalored
Posts: 57
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: In Search Of “The God” – In God’s Own Country, Kerala

@madbiker: A real salute to all Travel freaks and lords you have in this. Myself being a keralite and having been gone to 70% of places (within kerala) you have posted I am so sure I cant describe nor 'Capture' them any better.
Moreover I am just a rookie in photography and blogging.

I am flabbergast impressed by you and there is another couple of dozen people who would vote for the same because the day since this post started I have been forwarding links (as and when updated) to my non-bhp friends who ask me 'How is Kerala?'. Your post have become more of a bible to visit 'Kerala at its Best'

Man you have made me look so proud to be a keralaite once again.

I have booked my car and once i get it delivered your post will be my guide to all these places.

This Post just Rocks!!!!

But as all great things comes to an end I too have to see the curtains going down but always loving to come back.

Please continue your formidable wandering skills Mr. Wanderer and Drive safe
cogweelz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 18:28   #67
BHPian
 
MadBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 180
Thanked: 218 Times
Default Re: In Search Of “The God” – In God’s Own Country, Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogweelz View Post
@madbiker: A real salute to all Travel freaks and lords you have in this. Myself being a keralite and having been gone to 70% of places (within kerala) you have posted I am so sure I cant describe nor 'Capture' them any better.
Moreover I am just a rookie in photography and blogging.

I am flabbergast impressed by you and there is another couple of dozen people who would vote for the same because the day since this post started I have been forwarding links (as and when updated) to my non-bhp friends who ask me 'How is Kerala?'. Your post have become more of a bible to visit 'Kerala at its Best'

Man you have made me look so proud to be a keralaite once again.

I have booked my car and once i get it delivered your post will be my guide to all these places.

This Post just Rocks!!!!

But as all great things comes to an end I too have to see the curtains going down but always loving to come back.

Please continue your formidable wandering skills Mr. Wanderer and Drive safe
Thanks for the kind words cogweelz. Good luck for your travels and have a safe time out there!
MadBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2011, 06:00   #68
BHPian
 
MadBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 180
Thanked: 218 Times
Default Day 8 & 9 : 11 / 12 -June-2011 --- Kanyakumari - Rameshwaram - Chennai

Adding some pictures from Day 8 & 9 of my trip - Sorry about the huge delay, was held up with other trips & sometimes busy with work.

In Search Of “The God” – In God’s Own Country, Kerala-img_0408_09_10_tonemapped2.jpg

In Search Of “The God” – In God’s Own Country, Kerala-img_0427.jpg

In Search Of “The God” – In God’s Own Country, Kerala-img_0497.jpg

In Search Of “The God” – In God’s Own Country, Kerala-img_0500.jpg

In Search Of “The God” – In God’s Own Country, Kerala-img_0505.jpg

In Search Of “The God” – In God’s Own Country, Kerala-img_0508.jpg

In Search Of “The God” – In God’s Own Country, Kerala-img_0514.jpg

In Search Of “The God” – In God’s Own Country, Kerala-img_0527.jpg

In Search Of “The God” – In God’s Own Country, Kerala-img_0538.jpg

In Search Of “The God” – In God’s Own Country, Kerala-img_0545.jpg

In Search Of “The God” – In God’s Own Country, Kerala-img_0556.jpg

In Search Of “The God” – In God’s Own Country, Kerala-img_0582day9.jpg

In Search Of “The God” – In God’s Own Country, Kerala-img_0601-day-9.jpg


Day 8 - Woke up late from Kanyakumari - Rode along East Coast via Kudankulam - Thiruchendur - Thoothukudi (tuticorin) - Ramanathapuram - Rameshwaram.

Stayed in Hotel Tamil Nadu - For 600 Rs - I was allotted a One the shore Cottage with a (sort of) empty private beach all for yourself. tried visiting Dhanushkodi - but with heavy storm winds - the naval coast guard did not allow me - but asked me to come back the next day and take a 407 truck the local fishermen use. Was not too keen in travelling more, so came back to hotel.

Day 9 : Took the highway - Rameshwaram - Ramanathapuram - Madurai - Chennai

Wide 4 lane boring roads, nothing special to write home about. I was going home - the sense of reaching home made me push more and more - Covered 650 kilometers in almost 8.5 hours - even after spending leisurely time in Madurai for breakfast.

The ride was a bit tiring, as 8 days of riding did have some impact on the body - almost slept from the evening till next morning and was back to monotonous cubicle life.

Thanks for reading.

Cheers!
Ananth

Ride Far. Ride Safe. Do it Soon!
MadBiker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2011, 06:56   #69
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 633
Thanked: 624 Times
Default Re: In Search Of “The God” – In God’s Own Country, Kerala

Ananth, Ive become a fan of your photography, and this coupled with your passion to wander make your pics and logs all the more exciting to see and read.

Sitting here at the other side of the globe, your pics ache me, makes me feel how much I miss my beautiful India, my motherland.

Hope to meet you sometime in Chennai!
CliffHanger is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2011, 07:01   #70
BHPian
 
MadBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 180
Thanked: 218 Times
Default Re: In Search Of “The God” – In God’s Own Country, Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Ananth, Ive become a fan of your photography, and this coupled with your passion to wander make your pics and logs all the more exciting to see and read.

Sitting here at the other side of the globe, your pics ache me, makes me feel how much I miss my beautiful India, my motherland.

Hope to meet you sometime in Chennai!
Thank you! I'm honored to get such rich compliments

Speaking of Incredible India - Ofcourse yes, There is so much so to discover and explore. If only leaves & money was as easy as dreaming!

Would be nice to catch up in Chennai, though i haven't really attended any team-bhp meet yet.
MadBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2011, 07:11   #71
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 633
Thanked: 624 Times
Default Re: In Search Of “The God” – In God’s Own Country, Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBiker View Post
Thank you! I'm honored to get such rich compliments

Speaking of Incredible India - Ofcourse yes, There is so much so to discover and explore. If only leaves & money was as easy as dreaming!

Would be nice to catch up in Chennai, though i haven't really attended any team-bhp meet yet.
I understood the meaning of 'Incredible' in 'Indcredible India', only after leaving her. India is truly incredible in all sense, there is nothing like our Country.

I just want to meet and thank you, for I really like people when they approach life with flair. You definitely have flair for life.
CliffHanger is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 10:24   #72
BHPian
 
sandsun7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 777
Thanked: 596 Times
Default Re: Day 7: 09-June-2011 --- At The Land’s End, Kanyakumari

Stumbled upon this TL courtesy an upload on Kerala tourism official Facebook page!! Stunning writing and even more stunning pictures,Madbiker Hats off to you! Have to say, This travelogue is the best of the best advertisements for monsoon tourism in Kerala!

Loved this para. Feeling proud to be a Son of this Soil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBiker View Post
I went In Search Of “The God” – In God’s Own Country. Did I find god? Did I find what makes Kerala special? I did!

God is Love, hence you find God where love is in practice. Despite growing international interest, Kerala continues to retain its unique cultural identity. In Kerala, less is more and there is no room for pretension. It is impossible not to be touched by the overwhelming warmth and welcoming spirit of its people.

All of Kerala’s charming destinations ie, beaches, backwaters, hill stations and wild life are only a few hours’ ride from each other. Added to this, is the fact that Kerala is India’s most advanced society and a true masterpiece of diversity. Nowhere else would one find people of the three greatest religions living in such harmony!

The intoxicating smell of the dry Earth getting drenched, the splashing waters and the tiny paper boats sailing on the clogged water are the scenes visible only in Kerala during Monsoons.

The community life on its banks, the reclaimed farms, the network of canals and rivers, the flora and fauna, the indigenous methods of fishing, the handmade country boats which are works of art, the versatile coir fibre and finally the cuisine.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 11:09   #73
BHPian
 
MadBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 180
Thanked: 218 Times
Default Re: Day 7: 09-June-2011 --- At The Land’s End, Kanyakumari

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Stumbled upon this TL courtesy an upload on Kerala tourism official Facebook page!! Stunning writing and even more stunning pictures,Madbiker Hats off to you! Have to say, This travelogue is the best of the best advertisements for monsoon tourism in Kerala!

Loved this para. Feeling proud to be a Son of this Soil!
Thanks so much for the update. Never knew some one would share my travelogue on an official forum

And, Thanks for the appreciation.
MadBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 11:35   #74
BHPian
 
sandsun7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 777
Thanked: 596 Times
Default Re: Day 7: 09-June-2011 --- At The Land’s End, Kanyakumari

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBiker View Post
Thanks so much for the update. Never knew some one would share my travelogue on an official forum

And, Thanks for the appreciation.
Yes, it has indeed been shared and within an hour, it has got 468 likes and 80 shares. Absolute hit!!!
Here is the link: Wall Photos | Facebook
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
God's Own Country, Linea T-Jet, Devil's Own Roads and Meen Pollichathu palitrana Travelogues 32 18th February 2014 17:35
God's Own Country! Kerala, the perfect getaway! TBHPians make it more memorable... mclaren1885 Travelogues 59 30th September 2009 23:48
Visit to God's own Country - Kerala neoonwheels Travelogues 30 20th October 2008 13:56
A drive through God's own country deepakhon Travelogues 21 2nd February 2008 14:17
Weekend Travelogue: Wayanad (My First Step to God's Own Country) akroy Travelogues 18 20th April 2007 13:48


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:56.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks