Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 10th July 2011, 23:39   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore to Ladakh in a Maruti Ritz (27 May to 16th June 2011)

DroolingV,
Why din't you instal skid plates for protecting the sump?
Did you upgrade your Ritz's headlights? Aren't they 55/60?

I felt my swift's illum. is less than average. Just thinking about upgrading it before I do my Ladakh trip. I'm 50-50 about the skid plates as well.

Pls let me now if you did any other modification to your car just for this trip.

Thanks
8090guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 01:48   #47
BHPian

Here we go with the story of Day 12 and 13.

Day 11, roamed around Leh and adjoining places, and also visited MS service center. Leh has an authorized MSM. However my experience was real bad, better to not do anything here if you can avoid. Being novice on Hill areas, I was real worried about the black fumes the car was shelling out and the lack of torque on climbs. I went to service center, for the above problems. Was shocked to see whole lot of Tata, Mahindra cars and jeeps. They just are actually a garage who work on all kind of cars. There is no Job Sheet, no estimations, neither they are patient to hear your problem. After waiting for an hour I got hold of a mechanic who understood Hindi, I had to nearly bribe him to look at my car. Result he immediately opened up the air filter and diesel filter. He said he needs to check them, Waited for another hour and he was no where to be found. Somehow I went to a guy who looked like a superior, and told him my plight. I added that I need to go now to some place its urgent. He got hold of another mechanic, who took a while to locate my air filter and diesel filter and fixed them after cleaning. Total costs 150 Rs. As soon as I went 1 Kms, my Fuel warning came up, so drove back. The guy had loosely fitted the diesel filter and again everything needed to be opened up and fixed, Sigh! And the result the black fumes still remains and there was no difference in my pick up. It was actually when I reached planes, the black fumes and the pickup become back to normal, without any changes. It was the lower oxygen playing the tricks in higher altitude where the diesel does not get burned properly resulting in more blackish fumes. Also this probably leads to less pull. Experts can comment more on this. However, I just lost a lot of good time.

Whatever time I had, I went around and fed myself nicely. However I was really worried where to go now. Initially I had planned for Khardungla, Nubra, Pongyong Tso, Tso Moriri, Tso Kar but with only myself and alone I was really lost, and devoid of a good plan. I dropped Khardungla/Nubra Valley, opted for Pangong and Tso Moriri and then return. So I went to a travel agent and gave him my documents and requested them to get the permits. I also asked them that My car is empty if a lone person wants I can give a lift to Pangong and then to Tso, I would return via Pang to Sarchu and then to Manali. I repeated this story at various travel agents to find a friend who can come along. I repeated this in night with my host Dorjee, as we were having tea at his home. There was a lone foreign girl (from Czech Republic) staying at his guest house who signed up - I became excited now. We would start the next morning. This was too unexpected and while I came back to my room, my mind was racing with too many things.

Dorjee knocked my doors back again at late late night, I was not asleep yet. He informed me some perils of traveling with foreign girls, and advised me not to travel with her. Mostly being, that I am have a family with kids back at home, I accepted his advise. He promised to arrange a guide who can come along till Manali. I could sleep now!

Day 12 - Next morning by 11AM Dorjee had found a Guide - Sevi Namgal. He was a nice Ladkhi guy who was from very poor background and had studied uptil first year on donations from a German old Lady. When the old lady passed away, his studies stopped and he was trapped with no job and old mother and father to look after. He is further paralyzed with hearing problem, whence he cannot buy the hearing device. I just accepted him with open arms as my friend for the rest few days and the first word I learned was 'Juley', Hello in Ladakhi. My Guide was not really guide, which we will find later!

By 1 Noon, we left Leh on our journey to Pangong Tso. It was one of the most memorable of landscapes I have ever seen. Without much of incidents we reached Pangong Tso by 6 PM (late evening). Sun was still there and the Lake is something divine. One has to see and feel it to really appreciate the enormous beauty of this place. We stayed the whole night and it was freezingly cold. The Camp site was still being built and a week later we could have got our tents. I was prepared, I brought out my tent and sleeping bags. We bared all night on my tent and sleeping bag. It was awesomely cold at night. I couldn't figure out what was the temperature, but should be very near freezing. NIght time the breeze was so strong that a few pegs just came out and the tent was about to be blown away. Smartly we had placed 2 heavy rocks inside the tent and it withstood the harsh harsh winds. We ate maggie prepared on my gas stove and discussed a lot about our lives in the tent right next to Pangong Lake, memories etched until I die.

Pictures now

Shakti
Bangalore to Ladakh in a Maruti Ritz (27 May to 16th June 2011)-day_111213_nk_21.jpg
Bangalore to Ladakh in a Maruti Ritz (27 May to 16th June 2011)-day_111213_nk_17.jpg
Bangalore to Ladakh in a Maruti Ritz (27 May to 16th June 2011)-day_111213_nk_18.jpg
Bangalore to Ladakh in a Maruti Ritz (27 May to 16th June 2011)-day_111213_nk_19.jpg

As we approach Changla, Heavy snow.
Bangalore to Ladakh in a Maruti Ritz (27 May to 16th June 2011)-day_111213_nk_23.jpg
Bangalore to Ladakh in a Maruti Ritz (27 May to 16th June 2011)-day_111213_nk_22.jpg
Bangalore to Ladakh in a Maruti Ritz (27 May to 16th June 2011)-day_111213_nk_24.jpg

At just nowhere, these 2 brothers had a tent where they were serving Maggie and Tea. IT was very cold at this place. I was realy not so happy to feel that the brothers are very poor and are enduring extremes to just support there family. I parted with a heavy tip, but wished if more people stopped by and had tea here. Unfortunately in the time I was there, no one stopped. We reahed this place, when a lot of the cars were already returning to Leh from Pangong.
Bangalore to Ladakh in a Maruti Ritz (27 May to 16th June 2011)-day_111213_nk_25.jpg
Bangalore to Ladakh in a Maruti Ritz (27 May to 16th June 2011)-day_111213_nk_26.jpg

Desert, however very cold one now, Ritz magnificent on the backdrop.
Bangalore to Ladakh in a Maruti Ritz (27 May to 16th June 2011)-day_111213_nk_27.jpg
Bangalore to Ladakh in a Maruti Ritz (27 May to 16th June 2011)-day_111213_nk_28.jpg
Bangalore to Ladakh in a Maruti Ritz (27 May to 16th June 2011)-day_111213_nk_29.jpg

Bikers, they look smart and probably the view they have we can only crib about.
Bangalore to Ladakh in a Maruti Ritz (27 May to 16th June 2011)-day_111213_nk_30.jpg

This is a image I have seen so many times in so many Ladakh travelogues, and I was finally there.
Bangalore to Ladakh in a Maruti Ritz (27 May to 16th June 2011)-day_111213_nk_31.jpg

Pangong Tso
Bangalore to Ladakh in a Maruti Ritz (27 May to 16th June 2011)-day_111213_nk_32.jpg
Bangalore to Ladakh in a Maruti Ritz (27 May to 16th June 2011)-day_111213_nk_33.jpg
Bangalore to Ladakh in a Maruti Ritz (27 May to 16th June 2011)-day_111213_nk_35.jpg
Bangalore to Ladakh in a Maruti Ritz (27 May to 16th June 2011)-day_111213_nk_38.jpg
Bangalore to Ladakh in a Maruti Ritz (27 May to 16th June 2011)-day_111213_nk_36.jpg
Bangalore to Ladakh in a Maruti Ritz (27 May to 16th June 2011)-day_111213_nk_39.jpg

This is on our return, more snow had fallen
Bangalore to Ladakh in a Maruti Ritz (27 May to 16th June 2011)-day_111213_nk_41.jpg
Bangalore to Ladakh in a Maruti Ritz (27 May to 16th June 2011)-day_111213_nk_42.jpg
Bangalore to Ladakh in a Maruti Ritz (27 May to 16th June 2011)-day_111213_nk_43.jpg

Sarchu, was much greener compared to the Changla region.
Bangalore to Ladakh in a Maruti Ritz (27 May to 16th June 2011)-day_111213_nk_44.jpg
Bangalore to Ladakh in a Maruti Ritz (27 May to 16th June 2011)-day_111213_nk_45.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8090guy View Post
DroolingV,
Why din't you instal skid plates for protecting the sump?
Did you upgrade your Ritz's headlights? Aren't they 55/60?

I felt my swift's illum. is less than average. Just thinking about upgrading it before I do my Ladakh trip. I'm 50-50 about the skid plates as well.

Pls let me now if you did any other modification to your car just for this trip.

Thanks
8090guy,

Skid plates were there in my mind, however in bangalore I couldnt find a place where this job can be done nicely. If you come across do let me know. I did find garages who would can do that, but they have never done this before and I was shy of getting it done from in-experienced folks.

Headlights are stock ones, I feel I need to change, just that I will get things done when I am confident of a good suggestion. Need to read more of Team-BHP for this.

There were no changes done to any of the stock stuff Ritz came with. However brake shoes and air filter was changed before we started. I generally also do a tyre rotation every 5K, and hence it was done when I reached Srinagar, with wheel balancing. I was carrying a lot of spares which you can get from Kumar Sir's log. Its one exhaustive info. I also went through one day customer training on minor maintenance at MS workshop. This was just to acquaint myself of some very basic stuff.

Last edited by droolingvoyager : 13th July 2011 at 01:57.
droolingvoyager is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 09:13   #48
BHPian

Well, its just making it tough for others, when you set such high standards, Sanjay. Simply loved the travelogue. Kudos to the kind of courage you had and beating all the odds, to successfully complete this trip. True inspiration. You rock!

Also, thank you for sharing the details about the yellow sticker and how to avoid the cops.

Just a few questions.

1. Did you drive through Wari la (from Agam) to Pangong Tso? If Yes, please share the experience and the road condition.
2. What was the total distance (B'lore-Leh-B'lore)?
3. How much did it cost, only for fuel?
4. Mileage?
5. What is the cost of Diesel in the different parts? (Like Pune, Jaipur, Srinagar and most importantly in Leh)

Last edited by aviorp : 13th July 2011 at 09:14.
aviorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 10:47   #49
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Excellent photographs, droolingvoyager. I was eagerly waiting for spotting any sedan in the video, but sadly, I was disappointed! Only Qualises/Scorpios/Innovas/Sumos/Xylos/Eecos/some hatch-backs, but not a single sedan sighted on the entire route! So, my dream of driving in my Linea to Leh is dimming day by day!
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 12:13   #50
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Bangalore to Ladakh in a Maruti Ritz (27 May to 16th June 2011)

Quote:
Originally Posted by droolingvoyager View Post

By 1 Noon, we left Leh on our journey to Pangong Tso. It was one of the most memorable of landscapes I have ever seen. Without much of incidents we reached Pangong Tso by 6 PM (late evening). Sun was still there and the Lake is something divine. One has to see and feel it to really appreciate the enormous beauty of this place. We stayed the whole night and it was freezingly cold. The Camp site was still being built and a week later we could have got our tents. I was prepared, I brought out my tent and sleeping bags. We bared all night on my tent and sleeping bag. It was awesomely cold at night. I couldn't figure out what was the temperature, but should be very near freezing. NIght time the breeze was so strong that a few pegs just came out and the tent was about to be blown away. Smartly we had placed 2 heavy rocks inside the tent and it withstood the harsh harsh winds. We ate maggie prepared on my gas stove and discussed a lot about our lives in the tent right next to Pangong Lake, memories etched until I die.
Great travelogue. I

Did you have any problem igniting the diesel engine at Pangong/anywhere else?
Did you use any fuel additives?
Where there lot of campers or where you guys alone camping at Pangong?
dinesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 14:10   #51
BHPian

Thanks for your response.

Quote:
Skid plates were there in my mind, however in bangalore I couldnt find a place where this job can be done nicely. If you come across do let me know. I did find garages who would can do that, but they have never done this before and I was shy of getting it done from in-experienced folks.
Same here. Even I dont know a reliable place in Hyderabad where I can get this done. I have decided not to install skidplates.
The author of this travelogue has got it done in B'lore. Just FYI.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ia-ladakh.html (Bangalore to Sakleshpur via LADAKH!!!)

Coming to headlights, I did some research in tbhp and this is my conclusion. One should maintain the same wattage while upgrading ( 55/60 for cars ). Higher wattages leads to blackening out of the holder and one would end with lesser illumination than the stock ones. Philips extreme vision seems to be the most suggested. It is available for Rs 900-1000 from A K Traders Bangalore. Not available in Hyd.

Quote:
So, my dream of driving in my Linea to Leh is dimming day by day
J Ravi,
The more I read various travelogues, the more convinced I'm that this circuit is doable in sedans ( Mine is a hatch back).

1. You should do the circuit in Sept. when the roads are best and most of the snow has already melted making the dreaded Nullahs more or less dry. This advice comes from hvk. ( Mind it Rajni style !!)

2. Certain circuits like Agam-Pangong via Shyok/ Wari La, Chushul to Mahe, Tso Moriri to Tso Kar cannot be done with a sedan. But there are enough places to cover with a Sedan.

You perhaps know points 1 and 2. But here goes my point 3.

3. Visiting Ladakh in sedan is a different kind of challenge and one must do it at least once. Ladakh is a place to be visited more than once in life and when you acquire Land rover, you can always do Padum, Marsimik etc.
Dont loose this opportunity to do it in a sedan. With proper planning and patience this could be achieved.
8090guy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 19:32   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinesha View Post
Great travelogue. I

Did you have any problem igniting the diesel engine at Pangong/anywhere else?
Did you use any fuel additives?
Where there lot of campers or where you guys alone camping at Pangong?
No problems anywhere in starting Ritz. Actually, the diesel available these days comes with antifreeze additives (I heard this, not sure on the authenticity). My Car used to start as it starts in Bangalore, in one shot. Only thing was that you can smell unburned diesel and see black fumes if you stood behind.

no fuel additives, I have a diesel car btw.

There are a lot of the tent shops, where local folks were put up. Late night I did see a skoda octavia and fortuner come. They also had camped at the place. I did not see there camps, I am guessing they would have taken shelter in one of the tent shops. THe skoda was badly bruised and the bonnet was all open

Quote:

3. Visiting Ladakh in sedan is a different kind of challenge and one must do it at least once. Ladakh is a place to be visited more than once in life and when you acquire Land rover, you can always do Padum, Marsimik etc.
Dont loose this opportunity to do it in a sedan. With proper planning and patience this could be achieved.
yes I agree with 8090Guy, Ravi I would just add, The months to go is June. There are very few people and Ladakh can be viewed with all the awe it commands. I doubt, I would now want to go in any other month other than May-June.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Excellent photographs, droolingvoyager. I was eagerly waiting for spotting any sedan in the video, but sadly, I was disappointed! Only Qualises/Scorpios/Innovas/Sumos/Xylos/Eecos/some hatch-backs, but not a single sedan sighted on the entire route! So, my dream of driving in my Linea to Leh is dimming day by day!
Ravi,

I did see swift dezire, skoda octavia, Indigo CS and maybe a few more. Interestingly my guest house owner (Dorjee) had a Indigo Marina. He did report of a lot of problems. It does not start in the colder months etc. But you can take your car there, provided you know a hit under the belly is a must for sedan or hatchback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviorp View Post
Well, its just making it tough for others, when you set such high standards, Sanjay. Simply loved the travelogue. Kudos to the kind of courage you had and beating all the odds, to successfully complete this trip. True inspiration. You rock!

Also, thank you for sharing the details about the yellow sticker and how to avoid the cops.

Just a few questions.

1. Did you drive through Wari la (from Agam) to Pangong Tso? If Yes, please share the experience and the road condition.
2. What was the total distance (B'lore-Leh-B'lore)?
3. How much did it cost, only for fuel?
4. Mileage?
5. What is the cost of Diesel in the different parts? (Like Pune, Jaipur, Srinagar and most importantly in Leh)
Thanks Aviorp,

1. I did not drive through Wari la, well to be frank I even do not know where that is. I took Karu->shakti->changla road.
2. Total on odometer was 7112 Kms.
3. Aah that I just did not calculate.
4. Mileage also I was not keen on, I already know from previous trips that I can get 21Km/liter - but speeding above the 100 mark puts it down, and I was not too keen on the mileage part. Rather my priority was time, since My holidays were fixed. Had to come back by 16th hook or crook
5. This part I need to refer the bills, which I havent really kept. I am opposite of Kumar Sir in keeping logs. However, I do want to, and maybe in future I will. Firstly since I was the single person driving it was hard for me to keep all the data. My friend I had requested to log everything, (Kumar HV style), and he did note until Kargil, where we parted and since then unfortunately we are not talking. So data is with him.
droolingvoyager is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 08:02   #53
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
The more I read various travelogues, the more convinced I'm that this circuit is doable in sedans ( Mine is a hatch back). You should do the circuit in Sept.
Thanks, 8090guy. I am planning my Kashmir trip between August-end and September-beginning.
Quote:
Certain circuits like Agam-Pangong via Shyok/ Wari La, Chushul to Mahe, Tso Moriri to Tso Kar cannot be done with a sedan. But there are enough places to cover with a Sedan.
Since this is my first Leh expedition, I am restricting myself with places like Kargil-Mulbekh-Lamayuru-Leh-KhardungLa-NubraValley-ChangLa-PangongTso and back via Kargil/Srinagar, avoiding Leh-Manali route altogether in view of frequent landslides/slushy road conditions.
Quote:
Visiting Ladakh in sedan is a different kind of challenge and one must do it at least once.
Yes, even I think so.
Quote:
I did see swift dezire, skoda octavia, Indigo CS and maybe a few more. Interestingly my guest house owner (Dorjee) had a Indigo Marina. He did report of a lot of problems. It does not start in the colder months etc. But you can take your car there, provided you know a hit under the belly is a must for sedan or hatchback.
Thanks, droolingvolyager, for encouraging words. My Linea has same GC as that of Indigo/Octavia. Since it runs on petrol, I need not worry about cold-starting issues in high altitudes. Another advantage is my Linea has already got a sturdy and strong underbody protection.

I am sorry, droolingvoyager, for hijacking your travelogue with my queries and responses.
J.Ravi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 11:45   #54
Senior - BHPian

Even sectors like Wari la are doable in any sedan although this Pass remains bad till end-Aug normally. The road to Tso Moriri is also doable anytime, except that you have to drive the last 20 kms or so on total dirt roads. Similarly, the Kargil-Padum (Zanskar Valley Road) is also dirt road but doable later in the season by any car.

Why do I not like June - too much if uncertainties about road opening, conditions, snow melt/ flooding issues and sectors like Zanskar Valley & Wari la may not be open. In September, everything is open and any car can do most of the sectors. Plus, there is also the bonus of some early snowfall at least in one of the sectors.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 15:13   #55
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic travelogue, rated it 5 stars! I have plans to do a similar trip sometime...
nilanjanray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 15:24   #56
BHPian

Fantastic pictures and a top marks to the entire travelogue. I too am a proud owner of a glistening grey Vdi Ritz and your Bangalore to Ladhak trip has become a motivating factor to take my car further out to Gujrat and Rajasthan atleast, to some places that I have been wanting to go for quite some time now. Ofcourse I will remember about the yellow strip on the RHS headlamp whenever I do it .

Has your car picked up many rattles after all those bad roads and kms travelled. I have a rattle or 2 in my 2k kms travel and a mumbai to Shirdi trip so far in my 1.5 month of ownership.
SPARKled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 15:38   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Fantastic travelogue, rated it 5 stars! I have plans to do a similar trip sometime...

Nilanjan,

You should do it. With Fortuner, you will just freak out in these places! I think you have not clicked on the stars and five stars are not showing on the thread.

Sanjay,

Excellent travelogue. Any number of TLs on Ladakh will never make us satiated, isn't it? It rekindled our memories of the trip last year and most fascinating drive for me was the one to Pangong lake. Great road - hope the road condition is good - except for small patches and the "wow" factor on seeing the lake!!

Your TL brought back lot of memories. I had served in Madhopur - near Pathankot very close to the bridge on River Ravi - and Bikaner. When we were in Madhopur, we could see Himalayas on a clear day. In Bikaner deserts, i have been witness to some of the fabulous sun sets.

It must be a great change in climate for you from hottest in Bikaner to coldest in Ladakh

Last edited by Fauji : 14th July 2011 at 15:40.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 19:07   #58
BHPian

Quote:
No problems anywhere in starting Ritz. Actually, the diesel available these days comes with antifreeze additives (I heard this, not sure on the authenticity). My Car used to start as it starts in Bangalore, in one shot. Only thing was that you can smell unburned diesel and see black fumes if you stood behind.

no fuel additives, I have a diesel car btw.
Thanks for the info.
They don't add antifreeze during summer months.
But off the self fuel additives are availabe in market for diesel engines. It may be a good idea to carry some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Even sectors like Wari la are doable in any sedan although this Pass remains bad till end-Aug normally. The road to Tso Moriri is also doable anytime, except that you have to drive the last 20 kms or so on total dirt roads. Similarly, the Kargil-Padum (Zanskar Valley Road) is also dirt road but doable later in the season by any car.

Why do I not like June - too much if uncertainties about road opening, conditions, snow melt/ flooding issues and sectors like Zanskar Valley & Wari la may not be open. In September, everything is open and any car can do most of the sectors. Plus, there is also the bonus of some early snowfall at least in one of the sectors.
I was planing of doing Zanskar/Wari-La next year mid-June taking my 5 year old Verna. It is not doable then? Please advice. I thought roads are open by May end?

Can you please provide the link to your Leh-Ladhak travelouge. I have hear good revs about it. I could not located it in the TBHP forum.

Thanks
Dinesh A.
dinesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 19:40   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Why do I not like June - too much if uncertainties about road opening..
Sir, from your logs I have a picture that you would love the uncertainties more. But time and experience does show, and when I mature maybe I say the same. At the moment, the uncertainties is the ones which gives me a tickle beneath the spine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Thanks Nilanjan. I am already drooling about my next trip. Already lined up is Goa in Aug and brewing Bhutan trip (acknowledging true source, Kumar Sir again) sometime next year. They are all road trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Fantastic pictures ..

Has your car picked up many rattles after all those bad roads and kms travelled. I have a rattle or 2 in my 2k kms travel and a mumbai to Shirdi trip so far in my 1.5 month of ownership.
thanks, no rattle at all after servicing. Moreover, I think in MS cars Ritz can withstand more abuse than swift or other hatchbacks. Rattle relatively I would say was less than other cars, I compared a skoda octavia with my ritz (Sooo Biased) The Skoda Octavia, was met once more in Manali and I called in on the couple for a chat. I noticed a lot of destruction, exhaust, bonnet, wheel well all were rattling.

Rattles are funny, the source always evades when hearing. If you can point out to the service personnel, they take good care of padding the rattles. touchwood, my car seems brand new, no rattles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Sanjay,

Excellent travelogue. Any number of TLs on Ladakh will never make us satiated, isn't it? It rekindled our memories of the trip last year and most fascinating drive for me was the one to Pangong lake. Great road - hope the road condition is good - except for small patches and the "wow" factor on seeing the lake!!

Your TL brought back lot of memories. I had served in Madhopur - near Pathankot very close to the bridge on River Ravi - and Bikaner. When we were in Madhopur, we could see Himalayas on a clear day. In Bikaner deserts, i have been witness to some of the fabulous sun sets.

It must be a great change in climate for you from hottest in Bikaner to coldest in Ladakh
Thanks sir. While going I did not realise it so much as the ascent was slow. While coming back I did feel real horrible. When I was coming back I had 2 non-stop long drives, Keylong to Ajmer, and Nathdwar to Bangalore. Yes thats how the heat was bad. I couldnt bear it in Ajmer I will come to that as we close the travelogue.

Here are some more early morning snaps of Pangong Tso.

Bangalore to Ladakh in a Maruti Ritz (27 May to 16th June 2011)-pangong_tso_1.jpg
Bangalore to Ladakh in a Maruti Ritz (27 May to 16th June 2011)-pangong_tso_2.jpg
Bangalore to Ladakh in a Maruti Ritz (27 May to 16th June 2011)-pangong_tso_3.jpg
Bangalore to Ladakh in a Maruti Ritz (27 May to 16th June 2011)-pangong_tso_4.jpg
Bangalore to Ladakh in a Maruti Ritz (27 May to 16th June 2011)-pangong_tso_5.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 14th July 2011 at 20:51. Reason: Please limit smileys to 2/post. Thanks!
droolingvoyager is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 19:43   #60
BHPian

Excellent Travelogue

Wonder when I would be able to undertake such a journey. Our typical conversation with rest of family end something like this - "What a Bozo! why can't you just fly to Leh. They have built an airport there for people to use... We just don't understand why someone would want to go through a gruelling journey when it takes mere 80 minutes!!!"

Please someone HELP!

Quote:
This is how it looks like - the yellow sticker on your RHS head lamp. They insist on this in GJ & PB.
This come as a bit of a surprise. I live in Rajasthan and am attached to automobile trade but have never encountered such a rule.

If anything, this is plain extortion from out of state registered vehicles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
In Gujarat and Rajasthan, yellow sticker[of about 1" wide], is required to be pasted vertically on the outer edge of the right side headlamp of every vehicle compulsorily, otherwise, be ready to face the music from the cops/RTO.

For vehicles bought/serviced in these states, sticker bearing their name is affixed on the headlamp by the dealer/service station.
I am sure I have never seen such a practice from any dealer in Jaipur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Kumar sir, is it any tint or only dark tints that are a problem? I usually put a very light see-through film would they be ok with the Cops there?
70% visibility in Front & Rear + 50% visibility on side windows. Do take into account that many new car windows are tinted to certain degree from manufacturer and hence you have choose sun film accordingly. As a rule, I tend to install and suggest 70% visibility films on entire glass area to be safe. I know its a bit expensive but you never know know when you end up in a state with strict regulation.

Of course, If the aim is extortion, then no amount of safety on your end helps. In such a case, just resort to our favourite pastime, BRIBE! (After all that is the intention, anyways. Do it & get over with)
akhilesh51 is offline   Reply With Quote