Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 14th July 2011, 18:20   #16
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Team Outing: Chennai - Valparai

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I am surprised you went via Dindigul to Uduamalipet. I thought it would have been shorter and faster to turn off NH45 at Perambalur (before Trichy) and go direct to Namakkal and Pollachi? This would have saved you lot of time too, and the roads are all excellent.
I was analyzing the two distances. Valparai may not be well covered and hence I limited my analysis Chennai-Pollachi (overall it serves the purpose).

1. Chennai-Perambalur-Thuraiyur-Namakkal-Karur-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi

Chennai, Tamil Nadu to Pollachi, Tamil Nadu - Google Maps

This comes to 550

2. Chennai-Trichy-Dindukkal-Palani-Udumalpet-Pollachi

(This comes to 544!)

Looks the Dindukkal-Udumalpet is better and also shorter!

Plus this gives you the option to bypass Pollachi. Which is a big positive.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 18:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am surprised you went via Dindigul to Uduamalipet. I thought it would have been shorter and faster to turn off NH45 at Perambalur (before Trichy) and go direct to Namakkal and Pollachi? This would have saved you lot of time too, and the roads are all excellent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I was analyzing the two distances. Valparai may not be well covered and hence I limited my analysis Chennai-Pollachi (overall it serves the purpose).

1. Chennai-Perambalur-Thuraiyur-Namakkal-Karur-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi

This comes to 550

2. Chennai-Trichy-Dindukkal-Palani-Udumalpet-Pollachi

(This comes to 544!)

Looks the Dindukkal-Udumalpet is better and also shorter!

Plus this gives you the option to bypass Pollachi. Which is a big positive.
The shortest route to Valparai is to go via Perambalur - Musiri - Karur - Dharapuram - Udumalaipet - Mukkonam (Poolankinar) - Erisinampatti - Aliyar.

Chennai, Tamil Nadu to Aliyar Dam Park - Google Maps

When you are coming from Udumalaipet you would have to take a left about 5 kms after the town on NH209, the detour is marked as Anamalai. Continue on this road until you reach the SH from Pollachi to Valparai. This is the shortest route to Top Slip as well since this road leads you to Vettaikaranpudhur. Except for the stretch between Musiri & Karur rest are decent roads.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 19:37   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
The shortest route to Valparai is to go via Perambalur - Musiri - Karur - Dharapuram - Udumalaipet - Mukkonam (Poolankinar) - Erisinampatti - Aliyar.
Agreed on that. But do we gain much? As per the route you post, its about 10-15 Km gain.
For that you would be driving on 4L all the way till Dindukkal and then on the very good NH209 (Palani-Udumalpet).
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 14:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Except for the stretch between Musiri & Karur rest are decent roads.
Srikanth, But isnt Musiri-Kulithalai-Karur incredibly bad. Thats the reason I was thinking of a route via Perambalur, Thuraiyur, Namakkal. Not sure what route HVK had in mind !!

Quote:
Agreed on that. But do we gain much? As per the route you post, its about 10-15 Km gain.
For that you would be driving on 4L all the way till Dindukkal and then on the very good NH209 (Palani-Udumalpet).
Its not about the 4L you get. You do lose quite a bit of time navigating through Trichy city as signages arent proper. Am one such victim :(
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 14:15   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Srikanth, But isnt Musiri-Kulithalai-Karur incredibly bad. Thats the reason I was thinking of a route via Perambalur, Thuraiyur, Namakkal. Not sure what route HVK had in mind !!

(
I was referring to the Perambalur-Thuraiyur-Namakkal route, roads are great.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 14:16   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Its not about the 4L you get. You do lose quite a bit of time navigating through Trichy city as signages arent proper. Am one such victim :(
I did not know that. I thought by-passes were nicely in place.
Of all cities did not expect Trichy to have such a problem!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 15:15   #22
h14
BHPian

Quote:
As I have written, even we lost a fair bit of time by missing those sign boards in Trichy. People in the SX4 missed it even further and ended up travelling atleast 15 to 20 kms on the Madurai highway before turning back!

Quote:
I did not know that. I thought by-passes were nicely in place.
Of all cities did not expect Trichy to have such a problem!
But this is the unfortunate situation in here.
h14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 16:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That stretch is bad though it is manageable during day. This stretch would certainly be a time killer though.

Quote:
I was referring to the Perambalur-Thuraiyur-Namakkal route, roads are great.
Sir you would again have to come back to Karur to continue onwards towards Dharapuram. I am not sure it makes sense unless am missing something in terms of reaching Dharapuram from Namakkal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
As I have written, even we lost a fair bit of time by missing those sign boards in Trichy. People in the SX4 missed it even further and ended up travelling atleast 15 to 20 kms on the Madurai highway before turning back!
For the benefit of all those who have issues trying to get onto NH45 from Trichy Byepass, you will have to watch out for the last flyover you can see Grand Gardenia Hotel on the right when you come from Chennai side, take the service road when you see the signage for Rameswaram, continue onwards along the NH and take a right at under the flyover. This would take you to Trichy Jn. From here it is the standard route to Dindigul.

There is a byepass which is being constructed to link NH67, NH45& NH45B. No idea how much time it would take though.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 09:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For the benefit of all those who have issues trying to get onto NH45 from Trichy Byepass, you will have to watch out for the last flyover you can see Grand Gardenia Hotel on the right when you come from Chennai side, take the service road when you see the signage for Rameswaram, continue onwards along the NH and take a right at under the flyover. This would take you to Trichy Jn. From here it is the standard route to Dindigul.
From Junction there are signages towards Dindigul ? From Madras side I see atleast one singage that says Dindigul and that I guess is the last of Trichy bypass bridges. I also see an interchange in construction near that region, should be the bypass I guess.

However I got lost the other way coming from Dindigul and you dont have a signage in miles. You can spot signages for local places at times, but thats hardly any indicative. There are tons of one ways and signals without signages to again get you lost

Quote:
There is a byepass which is being constructed to link NH67, NH45& NH45B. No idea how much time it would take though.
Wonder how they'd connect NH67 and NH45 in the anti-clockwise direction. Its easier the clockwise direction i guess.

Quote:
That stretch is bad though it is manageable during day.
How bad ? As bad as the Trichy-Musiri section, slightly, a worser example to compare would be first kms to Oragadam from Sriperumbur ? How much time it took you ?

Last edited by narayans80 : 16th July 2011 at 10:00.
narayans80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2015, 21:21   #25
BHPian

Hi
I am planning to drive on this route on the other direction
(Pollachi to Chennai)

Please let me know the best option now
Renjith_Mani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2015, 22:06   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renjith_Mani View Post
Hi
I am planning to drive on this route on the other direction
(Pollachi to Chennai)

Please let me know the best option now
Its a straight option:

Pollachi-Palladam-Mangalam-Avinashi-Salem-Attur-Ulundirpet-Tindivanam-Chennai.

You can also take the Krrishnagiri Vellore from Salem, depending on where in Chennai you would like to go.
Old 27th April 2015, 22:30   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Its a straight option:

Pollachi-Palladam-Mangalam-Avinashi-Salem-Attur-Ulundirpet-Tindivanam-Chennai.

You can also take the Krrishnagiri Vellore from Salem, depending on where in Chennai you would like to go.
Many thanks
I guess this route is all the way 4 lane

Could you also let me know if we will have to pass through Salem city or is there a bye-pass?
Renjith_Mani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2015, 23:54   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renjith_Mani View Post
Could you also let me know if we will have to pass through Salem city or is there a bye-pass?
The 4-lane has clean exit points for both Krishnagiri (Look out for Bangalore exit) and Attur/Ulundurpet (Chennai Exit). Its not they bypass it completely, but the roads are pretty straight forward to go past the city. You should be able to cross the city quite easily.