Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 17th July 2011, 14:18   #16

Default Re: Konaseema calls us again - A highly detailed Travelogue

Very nice writeup and excellent pictures.
I guess I will take some advice from you on my trip to Konaseema.
AND that Vada looks yummy!!
darthcoder is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2011, 21:39   #17
BHPian

You're pictures are lovely. A houseboat in Andhra, I could never imagine that. I thought they were only in Kashmir. I have added Konaseema to my list now.
IUNKWN is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 14:08   #18
BHPian

great travelogue & pics
can the houseboats be booked online like other Haritha properties ? or a visit to a APTDC office is needed ?
Also how many houseboats are typically available ? other non-APTDC options ? any other places to stay apart from Haritha...?
paharino1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 19:23   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Hawk View Post
Excellent Narration and nice pcitures. Your trip refreshes my thoughts of my recent visit to konaseema. Awesome place to relax and enjoy.Thanks for sharing the details

The low camera angle photgraphs taken at the island are superbly composed.

During our return trip we had stayed at VJA at a new hotel by name "Hotel Nagamani" just opposite to NTR health university. Decent hotel with a nice restaurant "Central spice" Rs 1200+ Tax
Thanks Knight _Hawk your travellogue refuelled the fire in us to do this trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
Nice travelogue and good pictures.Never knew that there are houseboats in AP just like in
Kerala.
Thanks for sharing
Thanks Gajadonga, its closer to us and the back waters do remind you of Kerala but it is in our own sweet AP and it can be called the Kerala in AP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post
I believe it is illegal unless it is the official car of certain high ranking government officials.
My mother was a high ranking Govt official and her office car used to sport this flag. From the time I put the flag I have never been stopped by cops for any kind of checking so Im kind of happily living with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthcoder View Post
Very nice writeup and excellent pictures.
I guess I will take some advice from you on my trip to Konaseema.
AND that Vada looks yummy!!
Definetly darthcoder anytime you need any pointers would be glad to help you out. As said in teh post this is my fourth visit to this place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUNKWN View Post
You're pictures are lovely. A houseboat in Andhra, I could never imagine that. I thought they were only in Kashmir. I have added Konaseema to my list now.
IUNKWN you should definetly visit this place it has an aura of its own. Summers are horrible as the heat would get to you. Monsoon is the best time to visit this place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paharino1 View Post
great travelogue & pics
can the houseboats be booked online like other Haritha properties ? or a visit to a APTDC office is needed ?
Also how many houseboats are typically available ? other non-APTDC options ? any other places to stay apart from Haritha...?
paharino there is no online booking for these boats. We need to visit AP Tourism office to book them. There used to be 3 house boats and now they have added one more boat to their fleet. APTDC resort has got nice decent and large rooms in their resort costing around 2200 without taxes. I would suggest to stick to this option. There is a private guest house just bang opposite to APTDC guest house but I am not sure about their charges. The 6th picture in the 1st post is the Pvt guest house which is just opposite to APTDC resort.

Last edited by octane78 : 18th July 2011 at 19:25.
octane78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 21:58   #20
BHPian

Few statistics

Start from home at 15,643Kms on ODO and returned with 16,680 on ODO. Total 1037 kms travelled.

Total Diesel filled for 4430 INR.
Over all Mileage 13.6kms as I had filled the tank just before reaching home as it was a 2 day T-Bandh.

Total 4 Tolls paid on onwards journey for 40,15,50 and 55 INR.

The first toll would be just before Vijayawada and the rest 3 of them before Eluru and the last 2 tolls would be before Tanuku.

Cost of house boat for 24 hours is 5714 with taxes.
Old 20th July 2011, 15:14   #21
BHPian

Great writeup and wonderful pictures

While seeing the pictures i saw a discripency with the wheel alignment of your scorp:

When we look at the vehicle from the right side: I think the wheel rims are angled in towards the direction of travel, and,
When we look at the vehicle from the left side: The wheel rims are angled out wrt the direction of travel.

is it the same with all the scorps ? if yes doesent it make a difference to the dynamics of the car? Ideally i think it shouldnt but still would like to know
Shashidl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 18:07   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashidl View Post
Great writeup and wonderful pictures

While seeing the pictures i saw a discripency with the wheel alignment of your scorp:

When we look at the vehicle from the right side: I think the wheel rims are angled in towards the direction of travel, and,
When we look at the vehicle from the left side: The wheel rims are angled out wrt the direction of travel.

is it the same with all the scorps ? if yes doesent it make a difference to the dynamics of the car? Ideally i think it shouldnt but still would like to know
Shashidl thanks for the comments and with respect to the alignment of the Scorpio I do not find any problem with it. Example would be when travelling in a straight line just leave the steering wheel and the Scorp goes straight and if the alignment was off it would tilt to the left or right which does not happen.

With regards to your next query, I actually did not quite understand what you meant . May be you could get a better response from the gurus if you post it in the Scorpio thread .
Old 22nd July 2011, 11:20   #23
BHPian

Default Re: Konaseema calls us again.

Aaah!Beautiful Konaseema. Had the good fortune of travelling there a few times for work. Did you miss the great fish and prawns or forgot to mention them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by octane78 View Post
We reached Vijayawada by 4:00PM and went to my aunt's place had a great lunch and then bid bye to them and thought we would leave for Hyderabad but it was not be.

Last edited by mobike008 : 22nd July 2011 at 15:58. Reason: DO NOT Quote large text, pictures of videos. Thanks!
Mountain.Goat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 11:24   #24

Default Re: Konaseema calls us again.

Dear thanks for the excellent write up. I am leaving for Dindi this weekend with my wife. I am now so well informed of the place and its surroundings that we plan to stay longer to enjoy Konaseema until Friday next. Please could you post the name of the hotel (if u remember) at Suryapet which u rated so well. Shall post after I come back. Dr Rao
drgvrao is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 16:17   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgvrao View Post
Dear thanks for the excellent write up. I am leaving for Dindi this weekend with my wife. I am now so well informed of the place and its surroundings that we plan to stay longer to enjoy Konaseema until Friday next. Please could you post the name of the hotel (if u remember) at Suryapet which u rated so well. Shall post after I come back. Dr Rao
Thank you drgvrao. The name of the hotel where we had dinner on our return trip is called "7" and it is on the highway. The hotel which we stayed in Vijayawada is on the M.G.Road named as Midcity.

Have a safe journey and a happy stay ahead .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain.Goat View Post
Aaah!Beautiful Konaseema. Had the good fortune of travelling there a few times for work. Did you miss the great fish and prawns or forgot to mention them?
I am not a great fan of sea food and do not enjoy it much and my wife does not eat NV on Saturday's so she kind of missed eating sea food on that day. How ever we had our share of NV in Vijayawada.

Last edited by Amartya : 17th October 2011 at 10:50. Reason: Please use the Edit post feature when posting again within 20 minutes.Also, use the multi-quote feature to quote multiple posts.
octane78 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 23:02   #26
Senior - BHPian

WOW..what a writeup and pics to compliement. 5 stars rated.

Right now, I am desperate for a road trip..the options are Vizag, Papikondalu and Dindi... Your travleogue has really got me interested.

I have a small kid. Considering that, would you advise overnight stay at houseboat or stay at the resort? Can the houseboats be booked for a shorter duration, say 6-10 hours? If yes, do we need to book it in advance or can be done once we reach the resort?

And I guess we can reach Dindi in 9-10 hours including breaks. Is that correct?
Vizag looks to be a bit difficult with a small kid, considering the travel time will be over 12 hours including breaks.

I see that u took NH5 after VJA...other option is to take NH214. Are there any pros/cons of one over the other?

Also, that bridge in one of your pics look very inviting for a drive. Does it fall on the way?

I guess that's quite a few questions ..
I might send u a PM if I finalize the trip to Dindi. Hope u don't mind

Last edited by adimicra : 9th August 2011 at 23:29.
adimicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 14:15   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I see that u took NH5 after VJA...other option is to take NH214. Are there any pros/cons of one over the other?
IMHO, NH-214 is very scenic as it traverses through beautiful landscape giving a beautiful view of paddy fields, palm and cocunut plantations, aquaculture tanks and towns. If yours is a day drive, i would recommend this route at least for one leg of the journey.

To have a real feel of the country side, from VJA drive upto kanakipadu (14km) on NH-9 and take a left turn and drive upto Gudivada on SH-111 and merge with NH214 and continue upto Dindi.

If you are driving by night, i suggest you to stick on to NH-5 route.

You can refer more details in my recent travelogue
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...mer-visit.html (Hyderabad To Konaseema And Beyond - Summer Visit)

Last edited by Night_Hawk : 10th August 2011 at 14:16.
Night_Hawk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 17:19   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Hawk View Post
IMHO, NH-214 is very scenic as it traverses through beautiful landscape giving a beautiful view of paddy fields, palm and cocunut plantations, aquaculture tanks and towns. If yours is a day drive, i would recommend this route at least for one leg of the journey.

To have a real feel of the country side, from VJA drive upto kanakipadu (14km) on NH-9 and take a left turn and drive upto Gudivada on SH-111 and merge with NH214 and continue upto Dindi.

If you are driving by night, i suggest you to stick on to NH-5 route.

You can refer more details in my recent travelogue
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...mer-visit.html (Hyderabad To Konaseema And Beyond - Summer Visit)

Thanks man. I have already gone through your travelogue yesterday though I did not post there. It is a wonderful travelogue and very informative as well.
Great Job!

After reading the various replies on the 'Hyderabad-Vizag' thread, I am thinking that staying home might be the best option.

Following have been pointed out by fellow BHPians -
Horrible road conditions, almost un-driveable.
Bad crowd in long weekends.

I know it is really beautiful, the pics are fantastic, houseboat seems exciting.
But, is it worth driving down to Dindi given all these? I mean I have to take the same infamous Hyd-Vizag route. And how is the crowd there on long weekends? Give me an honest opinion please.
If it was only me or with some friends, I would not have asked so many questions. But, since this would be my first drive with a kid, I am little concerned.

Thanks a lot..
adimicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 18:35   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
And how is the crowd there on long weekends? Give me an honest opinion please.
But, since this would be my first drive with a kid, I am little concerned.
Thanks a lot..
Conmfirmed advance reservation is imperative both for houseboat or resort. Dindi resort is definitely over crowded on long week ends.

On week ends, lot of local families also drop in to enjoy the kids play area, swimming pool and short boat rides. It does get over crowded especially in the late afternoons.

Roads are not that bad. The only concern in this rainy season is you may encounter heavy showers on the way and at Dindi itself.

Cheers!
NH
Night_Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2012, 14:03   #30
BHPian

Your travelogue is extremely informative. It surely motivated me drive there in this summer.

I've read that the A/C in the house-boats are turned on only in the nights. In summers, can we bear the heat?

Does the house boat take us till the confluence of the Godavari and Bay of Bengal?
anilrs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote