Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 27th December 2011, 17:21   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Sariska Tiger Reserve - Land of Tigers? Quick getaway from Gurgaon

No way. Waiting for more, more & more....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri

Are you guys bored yet
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 12:11   #47
BHPian

Like all good things - this story is also coming to an end. The final set. Some of my favorite pics from the lot.

Powerful stare
Sariska Tiger Reserve - Land of Tigers? Quick getaway from Gurgaon-dsc04380.jpg

Sariska Tiger Reserve - Land of Tigers? Quick getaway from Gurgaon-dsc04386.jpg

The Sphinx - somehow this pic reminds me of the sphinx.
Sariska Tiger Reserve - Land of Tigers? Quick getaway from Gurgaon-dsc04392.jpg

Sariska Tiger Reserve - Land of Tigers? Quick getaway from Gurgaon-dsc04395.jpg

Sariska Tiger Reserve - Land of Tigers? Quick getaway from Gurgaon-dsc04399.jpg

Sariska Tiger Reserve - Land of Tigers? Quick getaway from Gurgaon-dsc04414.jpg

Good bye! Till next time.
Sariska Tiger Reserve - Land of Tigers? Quick getaway from Gurgaon-dsc04417.jpg
sach.sri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 14:02   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post
... The Sphinx - somehow this pic reminds me of the sphinx...
It really does, the stance & the mystical smile on the Leopard's face is awesome!

Quote:
... Good bye! Till next time.
Thanks mate for the fantastic clicks of my favorite big cat.
lordofgondor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 18:11   #49
Senior - BHPian

Sri,

Wow! Wow! Wow! It was raining leopards for you that day. The most elusive and cunning of the big cats totally shed their inhibitions for you, lucky guy. Seems to be a mating pair.

OT: It was bright and sunny, then why did you set your shutter to under 80fps? Or are you shooting on aperture priority?

Most wildlife photographers, (I think GD Sahab too) shoot on aperture priority mode. Never worked for me, I do shutter priority as it gives me more control of the unpredictable moving subject while shooting wildlife. DoF is meaningless when using a zoom.

Sighted and shot nearly everything in our Indian jungles but for the Leopard, with your luck I think I should tag along with you soon.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 19:07   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
It really does, the stance & the mystical smile on the Leopard's face is awesome!

Thanks mate for the fantastic clicks of my favorite big cat.
Very True. Simply loved this pose

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Sri,

Wow! Wow! Wow! It was raining leopards for you that day. The most elusive and cunning of the big cats totally shed their inhibitions for you, lucky guy. Seems to be a mating pair.

. Very true, even the driver and the guide were amazed and mentioned that these Leopards are giving darshan like Tiger, so un-inhibited.

In my opinion this looks to be a sub-adult pair - with their antics and their openness. Grown up leopards would be more shy and reticent.

Quote:
OT: It was bright and sunny, then why did you set your shutter to under 80fps? Or are you shooting on aperture priority?

Most wildlife photographers, (I think GD Sahab too) shoot on aperture priority mode. Never worked for me, I do shutter priority as it gives me more control of the unpredictable moving subject while shooting wildlife. DoF is meaningless when using a zoom.
Indeed i shoot in aperture priority - i think also GD sir's influence (among others). I think it does matter, here the lens that i am currently using is not a very good lens plus i think a mistake also on my part in not using spot focusing.

a question - How did you get this information about shutter speed?

Quote:

Sighted and shot nearly everything in our Indian jungles but for the Leopard, with your luck I think I should tag along with you soon.
Regards,
Dont know about luck - but, you are very welcome. It would be a very nice to go on a safari with you. I am big fan of your jeep builds and would like to see the Lynx in person!
Old 3rd January 2012, 20:48   #51
Senior - BHPian

It indeed was raining leopards for Sachin that day. Lucky bloke. I've been chasing this beautiful spotted creature for so long but.....

Some people do have all the luck...sigh.!

Quote:

Sri,

Wow! Wow! Wow! It was raining leopards for you that day. The most elusive and cunning of the big cats totally shed their inhibitions for you, lucky guy.
Yes, I shoot in aperture priority as it gives me quite a leverage to control the light and shoot on low ISO.True the DOF doesn't matter with a zoom, but most of my wildlife subjects, till date, have not exhibited unpredictable movements..

Quote:

Most wildlife photographers, (I think GD Sahab too) shoot on aperture priority mode.

Never worked for me, I do shutter priority as it gives me more control of the unpredictable moving subject while shooting wildlife. DoF is meaningless when using a zoom.
Do take me along too so that some of the luck rubs off on me as well..!

Quote:

So very delighted to have at last influenced somebody on this Mother Earth. I only do spot metering as the subject matters to me a lot.

Quote:

Indeed i shoot in aperture priority - i think also GD sir's influence (among others). I think it does matter, here the lens that i am currently using is not a very good lens plus i think a mistake also on my part in not using spot focusing.
ME TOO...!

Quote:

I am big fan of your jeep builds and would like to see the Lynx in person!
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 10:33   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post

Yes, I shoot in aperture priority as it gives me quite a leverage to control the light and shoot on low ISO.True the DOF doesn't matter with a zoom, but most of my wildlife subjects, till date, have not exhibited unpredictable movements..
I forget that you use a fast lens f/2.8 - whereas i have a f4.5 to 5.6 lens. I guess this matters also.
Old 4th January 2012, 11:24   #53
BHPian

These pictures are just amazing!!! Very lucky indeed to have been able to see and shoot a leopard AND a tiger.
Which time of the year did you go?
stormsearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 12:22   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

. Very true, even the driver and the guide were amazed and mentioned that these Leopards are giving darshan like Tiger, so un-inhibited.

In my opinion this looks to be a sub-adult pair - with their antics and their openness. Grown up leopards would be more shy and reticent.
Darshan like the Tiger? Yahan to Tiger ke aise darshan bhi naseeb mein nahin hain (here I dont even get to see a tiger like youve seen the leopard).

But not to worry, till we have leopards and Tigers left in the wild there always is that hope of darshan!!!

Till then happy watching pics posted by you guys!!

Last few days have been a bonanza from Sariska. First from you of the Leopard and then from GD of ST6

Keep it coming guys!!!
deky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 13:38   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormsearcher View Post
These pictures are just amazing!!! Very lucky indeed to have been able to see and shoot a leopard AND a tiger.
Which time of the year did you go?
Thank you for liking. This is a running TL on my various visits to Sariska. I saw the tigers in June just before the park closed for monsoon (June 29th)

and the Leopards in Dec - Dec 18th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Darshan like the Tiger? Yahan to Tiger ke aise darshan bhi naseeb mein nahin hain (here I dont even get to see a tiger like youve seen the leopard).

But not to worry, till we have leopards and Tigers left in the wild there always is that hope of darshan!!!

Till then happy watching pics posted by you guys!!

Last few days have been a bonanza from Sariska. First from you of the Leopard and then from GD of ST6

Keep it coming guys!!!
Not to despair - like you say - till we have leopards and Tigers in the wild there is always hope.

I got to see my first tiger only last year in R'bore after a multiple visits to the jungle and you have already been graced by one "darshan" .

Sariska is surely picking up and starting to get on the tourist map of people - last couple of times when i was in Sariska - it was totally full. I do hope that the Tiger population increases giving us more opportunity and chance of getting to see the majesty.

Infact this is a thing for worry - as the tigers have been rehabilitated since 2008 and till now there have been no cubs. Hopefully this changes in near future.
Old 16th January 2012, 13:04   #56
BHPian

Went to Sariska again on Sunday - with GD sir, Deky and a couple of their friends.

It was a GD special - starting at 3 am in the morning from gurgaon, reach Sariska at 7 am. Get into the park for morning safari - come out eat lunch and go back for afternoon safari.

It was a very nice trip and the highlight was meeting GD sir and Deky for the first time.

Will be uploading pics from this trip - but a teaser for now.

Crocodile - look at the toothy grin. Guarranteed to run a chill down your spine!

Sariska Tiger Reserve - Land of Tigers? Quick getaway from Gurgaon-img_4624_12.jpg

Last edited by sach.sri : 16th January 2012 at 13:06.
Old 16th January 2012, 17:55   #57
BHPian

Pond Heron - reflections in water
Sariska Tiger Reserve - Land of Tigers? Quick getaway from Gurgaon-img_4335_12.jpg

Grey Heron in flight
Sariska Tiger Reserve - Land of Tigers? Quick getaway from Gurgaon-img_46482.jpg

Grey Heron in flight - I call this one "stealth". Reminds me of that plane.
Sariska Tiger Reserve - Land of Tigers? Quick getaway from Gurgaon-img_46622.jpg
Old 18th January 2012, 17:54   #58
BHPian

Some more pics from the trip. Dividing them into different sections, each with a theme.

First theme - Reflections

Sariska Tiger Reserve - Land of Tigers? Quick getaway from Gurgaon-img_4362_1.jpg

Sariska Tiger Reserve - Land of Tigers? Quick getaway from Gurgaon-img_4363.jpg

Sariska Tiger Reserve - Land of Tigers? Quick getaway from Gurgaon-img_4366.jpg

Beauty of youth - Innocence.
Sariska Tiger Reserve - Land of Tigers? Quick getaway from Gurgaon-img_4368_1.jpg

Avian

Shirke
Sariska Tiger Reserve - Land of Tigers? Quick getaway from Gurgaon-img_4486.jpg

Sariska Tiger Reserve - Land of Tigers? Quick getaway from Gurgaon-img_4491.jpg

Treepie
Sariska Tiger Reserve - Land of Tigers? Quick getaway from Gurgaon-img_4507.jpg

Peacock
Sariska Tiger Reserve - Land of Tigers? Quick getaway from Gurgaon-img_4517.jpg

Babler
Sariska Tiger Reserve - Land of Tigers? Quick getaway from Gurgaon-img_4537.jpg

Last edited by sach.sri : 18th January 2012 at 18:14.
Old 18th January 2012, 21:47   #59
Senior - BHPian

Sachin,

Your 7D is doing really great !
What is the lens in use?
Are the bird photo's cropped eg. the tree pie, peacock and babbler?
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2012, 22:19   #60
Senior - BHPian

Sigh. I wish I get a leopard in front of my camera when I am ready for it (e.g. not driving) or when there is light to shoot.

Great luck and captures, Sach!

Re aperture priority vs. shutter priority mode: when light is low i,e, early morning or evenings, I use shutter priority mode to be sure of catching moving creatures. When light is decent, I shift to aperture priority mode (e.g. then I also might want to take landscape shots - to the extent possible with a zoom lens). For example in MP, in the mornings, I was starting with 1/30 or 1/40 sec and high ISO to have some chance of getting a decent shot (non blurred) of a creature. As light became better, I kept on lowering ISO and increasing shutter speed till it didn't matter.
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote