Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 27th July 2011, 16:35   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Fauji's Drivolgues - Mesmerised in Malnad in Monsoon!!

Great snaps Fauji! I feel refreshed by just seeing them in my office cubicle Thanks!

Got the headphones on and listening to some good numbers by 'Above & Beyond' and seeing these beautiful pictures of fresh greenry, mist, waterfalls and flowers - feel like running back home right now and head for a long drive to the hills!
SuperSlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2011, 16:46   #32
BHPian

Aha, so the ambassador of Malnad finally got wet...and how!

The picutres of Kundadri looks awesome. Are those paddy fields in between forests? Which is that valley?

Give a brief idea about the foll: What time did you start each day, what was the distance and time taken to each main place, where did you stop for food? Are the roads taken by you doable for a sedan with family?

Thank You Fauji, you have certainly given ideas

VW
VindyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2011, 17:19   #33
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)

Nice snaps Fauji. These kind of places are slowly disappearing from many parts of South India, particularly Kerala. I just got back from my trip to Kerala (going home) and the train journey through the Konkan and then through KL, TN, KN and MH presented several such places. Malnad is indeed beautiful and I hope it stays that way.
pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 08:28   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSlick View Post
Great snaps Fauji! I feel refreshed by just seeing them in my office cubicle Thanks!

Got the headphones on and listening to some good numbers by 'Above & Beyond' and seeing these beautiful pictures of fresh greenry, mist, waterfalls and flowers - feel like running back home right now and head for a long drive to the hills!
Thanks Superslick. I do the same now whenever i want to get refreshed!!

You bet, we did the same!!! As we drove through these beautiful places we were listening to Don Wiliams, Jim Reeves and other country cousins coupled with Rashid Khan, Mohammed Rafi and P B Srinivas. It was all amazing comobination!
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 10:09   #35
Senior - BHPian

Lovely one there fauji , refreshing I must say. Have done these stretches like I don't know how many times and I still feel the urge to go back on a drive. The best part if that the western ghats turns into a host for umpteen waterfalls during the monsoons. If you were to stop by and count them I am sure you will loose count at the end of the trip.

That said, how are the roads holding up between thirtahalli and agumbe ?
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 11:41   #36
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful Beautiful...
Pics are so nice.
I'm just feeling nostalgic.
It's been more than a month since I visited my native & I'm already missing it. Thanks for the pics.
I'm planning to drive down till Charmadi & Agumbe ghats in Independence day Weekend holidays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
do you happen to know any good hotels in Thirthahalli with clean rooms & toilets.
Fauji.. I hardly know abt any lodges/hotels in Theerthally.
But there are many good Homestays which would have the facility.
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 15:31   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Thanks Superslick. I do the same now whenever i want to get refreshed!!

You bet, we did the same!!! As we drove through these beautiful places we were listening to Don Wiliams, Jim Reeves and other country cousins coupled with Rashid Khan, Mohammed Rafi and P B Srinivas. It was all amazing comobination!
Very true, often while driving in city traffic we might not be able to really enjoy those beautiful melodies and tunes. Listening them on the open roads while cruising or driving through hills with such beautiful scenery around is a different experience. A stress-buster!

BTW, you seem to be a country and classic songs addict We too listen to Kishore Kumar and Mhd. Rafi on highway drives sometimes.
SuperSlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 19:39   #38
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

@fauji sir, wonderful tlog again with lovely pictures to go along. The pictures really reflect the freshness of the air and the monsoon is captivating. Undoubtedly you really have enjoyed the trip ! Thanks for sharing.

Also, how far along on Charmadi ghats did you travel and what was the condition of ghat road ?

Last edited by NPV : 28th July 2011 at 19:41.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 20:34   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Aha, so the ambassador of Malnad finally got wet...and how!

The picutres of Kundadri looks awesome. Are those paddy fields in between forests? Which is that valley?

Give a brief idea about the foll: What time did you start each day, what was the distance and time taken to each main place, where did you stop for food? Are the roads taken by you doable for a sedan with family?

Thank You Fauji, you have certainly given ideas

VW
Thanks for your kind words, Vinod. Yes the paddy fields are inside Agumbe forest ranges. If i am not wrong they should be on the edge of Someswara wild life sanctuary.

This was just a weekend trip. We left Bangalore at 6.30 AM and reached Hassan at 9 AM and Mudigere by 10.30 AM. Then we drove through the route i had given above. We called up Doddamane in Agumbe and said we will come for lunch and they were very accomodative. We did not go via Kudremukh fearing it will be long and took the route via Bale Hole which was a blessing in disguise as we saw some awesome valley views and water falls. We reached Agumbe via Sringeri at 3.15 PM and after lunch we left for Tirthahalli via Kundadri - which is a small detour - on the way. We were in Bananki home stay which is 7 KMs from Tirthahalli on Koppa road by 5.45 PM. After excellent dinner and rest we returned to Bangalore after breakfast and reached Bangalore by 2.30 PM

If you are driving sedan, i dont advise Bale Hole road as at some places it is bit bad. Take the road via Kudremukh to Sringeri which is very good with great views. Have Lunch at Sringeri which has good options and then drive to Tirthahalli via Agumbe, Kundadri. All roads are in good condition - surprisingly - and can be done easily in sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Nice snaps Fauji. These kind of places are slowly disappearing from many parts of South India, particularly Kerala. Malnad is indeed beautiful and I hope it stays that way.
Thanks Biju. You are correct. I only hope same fate does not befall Malnad. The only threat to forest in Malnad is the plantataion lobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Lovely one there fauji , refreshing I must say.
That said, how are the roads holding up between thirtahalli and agumbe ?
Thanks Riju. We were sceptical about this strectch and were pleasantly surprised with good condition of the road. There were few potholes but easily manageable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
I'm just feeling nostalgic.
It's been more than a month since I visited my native & I'm already missing it. Thanks for the pics.
I'm planning to drive down till Charmadi & Agumbe ghats in Independence day Weekend holidays.

Fauji.. I hardly know abt any lodges/hotels in Theerthally.
But there are many good Homestays which would have the facility.
Thanks Sushrutha. I knew i will make you nostalgic with this!!! Have a nice drive on Independence day week end. Yes, there are no good hotels as such in Tirthahalli. Vihangama is the only resort kind of and others are homestays. They are all pretty decent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
@fauji sir, wonderful tlog again with lovely pictures to go along. The pictures really reflect the freshness of the air and the monsoon is captivating. Undoubtedly you really have enjoyed the trip ! Thanks for sharing.

Also, how far along on Charmadi ghats did you travel and what was the condition of ghat road ?
Thanks NPV. We must have driven around 10 KMs on ghat proper. The road is in excellent condition.
Old 29th July 2011, 15:09   #40
BHPian

Wonderful Trip Fauji. Reminds me of my days in malnad and all the fun we had as bachelors. The snaps are amazing, liked the ones where your black beauty is in the mist. Keep Triping, there is never more fun and learning
DieselDestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 16:00   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
From Kalasa, we did not take the regular route via Kudremukh to Sringeri but via Bale Hole.
When you say 'via Bale Hole' I take it that you are referring to the Kalasa - Magundi - Balehonnur - Jayapura - Sringeri route. Is that correct?

And thanks for sharing these lovely pictures. Nothing beats driving around in the Western Ghats during monsoon.
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 16:21   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
When you say 'via Bale Hole' I take it that you are referring to the Kalasa - Magundi - Balehonnur - Jayapura - Sringeri route. Is that correct?
Nope, that is a different route. This route goes via Basrikatte and joins the Jayapura-Sringeri road a few kms after Jayapura (IIRC)
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 17:07   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post

And thanks for sharing these lovely pictures. Nothing beats driving around in the Western Ghats during monsoon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Nope, that is a different route. This route goes via Basrikatte and joins the Jayapura-Sringeri road a few kms after Jayapura (IIRC)

Yes, Addy is correct. It joins Sringeri - Jayapura road at a place called Makki Kuppe. Just before this junction is the most beautiful water falls we had seen in the whole trip.

You don't see this route in google map. You can however see it in Wikimapia. check this link

Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!

the route is Kalasa (need to take right turn before entering town) - Haluvalli (this is the place we crossed Bhadra) - Atthikudige -Ambinakudige - Balehole - At Balehole you have to take road going to Basarikatte - basarikatte - Bilalkoppa - Abbikallu - Kogre - Shantigrama -Naibhi - Sringeri/Jayapura road

Use your cursor to move the map up/down and track the road and it is fun to do it and see how green and beautiful are these places.

Other Malnad gurus - Pls correct me if i am wrong
Old 30th July 2011, 12:58   #44
BHPian

Now we all know where you went Malnad Champion, Nice pics. Would like to contribute one from my trip in June this year - Charmadi Ghat.

( Unfortunately after uploading now has a boxy grid running all over the image )
Attached Thumbnails
Fauji's Drivolgues - Mesmerised in Malnad in Monsoon!!-charmadi_png.png  

Last edited by airguitar : 30th July 2011 at 13:12.
airguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2011, 17:25   #45
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Fauji - Photos are wonderful and scenic. No doubt South Western states are at their best during monsoon and it has added more flavour in your pictures.
RGK is offline   Reply With Quote